New To The Forum? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. -- Developers Click Here.

VR First Timer

haydon.sheppardhaydon.sheppard Posts: 22
NerveGear

Just received mine today and I have to say I’m disappointed. This is my first venture into VR and maybe my expectations were too high. I wasn’t expecting 1080 but visuals are grainy, pixels are noticeable and the text has a slight shimmer to it. Is this your experience or do I have a problem?

Comments

• bigcat1969bigcat1969 Posts: 35
    Brain Burst
    Turning the brightness down to about 25% helped me on several levels including the shimmer. Visuals are all over the place. To me NextVR and Amaze are places to see if the visuals work for you. The WWE and NBA stuff is pretty impressive and I loved the three jazz Christmas songs on Amaze. If those don't do anything for you maybe Vr isn't for you. Also I had the giant world syndrome with Melody VR, but if it looks the right scale to you, that might be really impressive as well.
  • chuffedfoxchuffedfox Posts: 23
    Brain Burst
    I've noticed a lot of '360' content is captured on tech that really isn't good enough to impress with VR (e.g. a 'big' screen).  

Some of the really immersive and impressive 360 experiences have been either stitched from multiple photos (Mars Curiosity?) or take on some really high-end equipment.

There's nothing that any VR headset can do about content.   I guess you could say the graphics are a bit "Playstation 1" in some games, but it's early days for both VR and the Go content.
  • haydon.sheppardhaydon.sheppard Posts: 22
    NerveGear
    Thanks for taking the trouble to reply guys. I think the comment about PlayStation 1 graphics sums it up nicely. That’s what I am experiencing and I presume you both are too?
  • PickleschlitzPickleschlitz Posts: 81
    Hiro Protagonist
    It basically has a cell phone's guts. You can't expect it to perform like a full gaming system. To be honest, I think the Go's strengths lie in things other than gaming.
  • PixelfoxPixelfox Posts: 53
    Hiro Protagonist
    After a few days use I find that I'm learning to ignore the low-quality aspects of the experience and focus on the content and I now enjoy some of the 360 videos more than I did initially. Some videos (especially if streamed) are lower res than others, and some games/experiences are 60fps vs 72fps, and some have chromatic aberration correction on and some don't, so you have to try a range of things to find the best quality. 

But yeah, this is the state of VR today, and it's going to be an issue for first-time buyers who really have no idea what to expect. Give it a few years and we'll have 4kx4k per-eye, 180 degree FOV, etc., etc.
  • LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 5,464 Volunteer Moderator
    I think most people are used to 4K tv's and retina phones .. so they expect pin sharp visuals.TV's don't really do any processing so the display can be huge and sharp. Running a 4K game at 90fps on a flat screen on anything less than the super high-end power hungry GPU's is reserved for those who have the cash.   Now imagine doing that for both eyes!
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
    Hiro Protagonist
    The streamable 3D 360 movies are just there to help you decide if you want to spend the time to download the whole thing. You can't compare a $200 self contained headset to a full gaming system or home theater. They are two different animals.
    NerveGear
    Is it fair to say that a lot of content is for GearVR and we should see an improvement with future Oculus Go titles?
  • LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 5,464 Volunteer Moderator
    Is it fair to say that a lot of content is for GearVR and we should see an improvement with future Oculus Go titles?
    Yes, at a presentation an oculus engineer was showing that Go hardware can be pushed a little bit more and I am sure that devs are cooking some great things already.
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
    Hiro Protagonist
    I've been hanging out in AltspaceVR and they've been introducing new stuff all the time. Every day there is a new update to the program and I can do more in the app.
    NerveGear

Well after grabbing a few screenshots and video and viewing them on my iMac I have clear relatively sharp images.
    So where do I go from here? Does that mean everything is fine or is there possibly an issue with the lenses?

I wear variofocal spectacles. Is that the issue? If so that's disappointing.

Spectacle wearers any suggestions

• chuffedfoxchuffedfox Posts: 23
    Brain Burst
    Thanks for taking the trouble to reply guys. I think the comment about PlayStation 1 graphics sums it up nicely. That’s what I am experiencing and I presume you both are too?

I'm happy with the graphics (rendered, games) for two reasons - firstly, as that's what I was expecting, and secondly because it's very much like the Wii, where the trade-off of graphics is made against the fact that the innovation compensates for it
    NerveGear
    I don’t have an issue with the low-end graphics. I accept there are limitations. It’s just the overall picture quality which  I now believe may be largely due to my variofocal glasses rather than any issue with the headset itself. I have reasonable focus in the middle of the screen. Edges are less defined. I’m learning to deal with it. Just a pity I’m not getting the same experience as everyone else. Thanks once again for taking the trouble to reply.
  • KemaraKemara Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Maybe you could try the prescription lenses that are available for the GO? 
    NerveGear
    Yes I did think of that. I would only need single middle vision. I will look into it. Thanks.
  • Star-lizardStar-lizard Posts: 196
    Art3mis
    edited May 13
    https://widmovr.com/product-category/lenses-adapters/

Ah never mind I see your a go user
  • voxelmaniamvoxelmaniam Posts: 125
    Art3mis
    haydon.sheppard said:
    I wear variofocal spectacles. Is that the issue? If so that's disappointing.

Spectacle wearers any suggestions

I'm in the same camp with progressive or as you call them variofocal eyeglasses. They present a problem as you have discovered because only a portion of the lens is designed to focus at screen viewing distance. If your prescription allows you might try a pair of reading glasses. Others have suggested powers in the 2-3 diopter range. Your mileage may vary. Given the portability of the Go I suggest that you take it with you to the store and try different pairs on the spot. Also, I found that I got better sharpness without the glasses spacer. Be careful with this as one user has reported scratching the lenses. It hasn't happen to me yet and I'm planning on getting some lens protectors to make sure it doesn't. I also have corrective implants as the result of cataract surgery so that is another factor in the eyesight equation for me.
    A voxel is a three dimensional pixel!
    Murray Foster
    NerveGear
    Not quite sure how I go to the opticians and get a single prescription for the Go though. Lol. Think I might get some strange looks!
  • burning.airlinesburning.airlines Posts: 62
    Hiro Protagonist
    I have progressive eyeglass lenses.  The Go looks much better than I expected for $200 all in.
    Hiro Protagonist
    You can order the Go prescription lenses for the Go from Frames Direct https://www.cnet.com/news/oculus-go-virtuclear-prescription-lenses/
    Art3mis
    It would be interesting to know what the virtual focal distance is for persons with good eyesight. Then I could have a pair of glasses made specifically for that distance.
    Murray Foster
  • chettawanchettawan Posts: 76
    Hiro Protagonist
    I never try hi-end VR system like Rift or Vive before just only mobile VR. For me GO is AWESOME! Love it so much.
    NerveGear
    Anyone have any idea how you get the right spectacle prescription at an opticians if you’re wearing a VR headset?
    Art3mis
    edited May 17
    I'm currently using ones that are typically described as computer glasses. Mine happen to be progressives, also known as varifocal or no line bi-focals. Only my midfield (straight ahead) view is in focus and I have to turn/tilt my head to see different parts of the scene in focus; not just my eyes. It just so happens that I am seeing my ophthalmologist tomorrow and I plan on taking the Go for him to see and getting him to recommend a prescription just for use with the Go. I'll update this post when I have his recommendation. I should probably mention that I also have fixed focus lens implants as a result of cataract surgery.
    Update:
    So today's visit to the ophthalmologist didn't provide any new information on this front. He was impressed with the technology but said he lacked any understanding of the optics and what the working distance was to recommend a specific corrective prescription. His best guess was distance vision but he felt that even then I would need to move my head to get the best focus. I'm not so sure.

I also called and spoke at length with an optician at FramesDirect regarding the VirtuClear Lens Inserts. She confirmed that they only use the distance vision portion of the prescription. I haven't decided yet how to proceed.
    Murray Foster
    NerveGear
    Thanks for the info.Maybe  I should have considered this issue before purchase. I currently have a support ticket ongoing with Oculus and have sent some screenshots through the lens but now feel the issue is not theirs but mine. 
    Art3mis
    I'm currently using ones that are typically described as computer glasses. Mine happen to be progressives, also known as varifocal or no line bi-focals. Only my midfield (straight ahead) view is in focus and I have to turn/tilt my head to see different parts of the scene in focus; not just my eyes. It just so happens that I am seeing my ophthalmologist tomorrow and I plan on taking the Go for him to see and getting him to recommend a prescription just for use with the Go. I'll update this post when I have his recommendation. I should probably mention that I also have fixed focus lens implants as a result of cataract surgery.
    Update:
    So today's visit to the ophthalmologist didn't provide any new information on this front. He was impressed with the technology but said he lacked any understanding of the optics and what the working distance was to recommend a specific corrective prescription. His best guess was distance vision but he felt that even then I would need to move my head to get the best focus. I'm not so sure.

I also called and spoke at length with an optician at FramesDirect regarding the VirtuClear Lens Inserts. She confirmed that they only use the distance vision portion of the prescription. I haven't decided yet how to proceed.
    Update 2:
    I called the store where I purchased my glasses and discussed the process that they use to specify monitor or computer glasses. They use a calculation that modifies the distance vision specification/prescription based on the working distance requirment. I explained that in this case the working distance was virtual because of intervening optics but that with my existing monitor glasses straight ahead focus provided pixel level clarity. Using that data point the technician was able to calculate a non-progressive (single focal distance) lens specification. However, to cross check these values I went back to Frames Direct and asked them if they could tell me what the virtual working distance was for the Go. They told me that they didn't know that information. They use only the distance vision prescription and that I would have to get the virtual working distance info from Oculus support. So I currently have an open ticket with Oculus support asking for this info.
    Murray Foster
    NerveGear
    Great idea Voxelmaniam. I’ve been mulling this over. How would it be possible to get an accurate single vision prescription bearing in mind you are looking through a headset? Also you would need a WiFi connection at the opticians which is not always straightforward. I look forward to what they have to say. 
    Art3mis
    edited May 19

Update 3:
    So I got a reply from Oculus support that referred me to the Frames Direct web page for the VirtuClear Lens Inserts.
    My Inquiry:
    I have fixed focus corrective lens implants as the result of cataract surgery. I want to order corrective lenses from Frames Direct and in order to provide them with the correct lens prescription I need to know the apparent/virtual working distance produced by the optics in the Oculus Go. I have spoken to Frames Direct and they told me that they didn't have this information and that I needed to contact Oculus support.
    Oculus Support Reply:
    DamienToday at 05:05
    Hey Murray,
    Your Optometrist should be able to tell you what you need for your prescription.
    Perhaps bring the Oculus Go to your eye doctor will help.
    Please let us know if you have any further questions. Click here for more details. They should be provide don the website.
    Thank you,
    Damien
    Oculus Support
    My Reply:
    Hi Damien, 
    As it happens I had an appointment with my ophthalmologist Thursday morning and I took my Go to show him and get his advise. He was impressed with the technology but said he lacked any understanding of the optics and what the working distance was to recommend a specific corrective prescription. 
    As mentioned in my original inquiry, I also called and spoke at length with an optician at FramesDirect regarding the VirtuClear Lens Inserts. She confirmed that they only use the distance vision portion of the prescription and that I would have to contact Oculus support for information about the Go's optical working distance. 
    The distance vision portion of my prescription is inadequate in my case because I have fixed focus implants and must use lenses that are tuned to the optical working distance of the Go because I can't change the fixed focus of my implants. The Go's optical working distance is needed to properly calculate the prescription for the FramesDirect VirtuClear Lens Inserts. 
    Please escalate this inquiry to someone that can provide me with the optical working distance of the Oculus Go. 

So we will see if this gets any results.

Murray Foster
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 25,400 Oculus Staff
    I don't know about Go in specific, but Oculus Rift has a focal distance of about 1 meter to 1.5 meters, and I guess that Go is in a similar range. Meaning you would want glasses that help you read clearly at that distance. Hope that helps.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
    NerveGear
    A little vague. If you don’t know the answer then speak to someone who does and then relay it back. Useful information but needs to be accurate if you are going to splash out for a pair of spectacles specifically for the Go.