cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VR First Timer

haydon_sheppard
Explorer

Just received mine today and I have to say I’m disappointed. This is my first venture into VR and maybe my expectations were too high. I wasn’t expecting 1080 but visuals are grainy, pixels are noticeable and the text has a slight shimmer to it. Is this your experience or do I have a problem?

37 REPLIES 37

bigcat1969
Protege
Turning the brightness down to about 25% helped me on several levels including the shimmer. Visuals are all over the place. To me NextVR and Amaze are places to see if the visuals work for you. The WWE and NBA stuff is pretty impressive and I loved the three jazz Christmas songs on Amaze. If those don't do anything for you maybe Vr isn't for you.
Also I had the giant world syndrome with Melody VR, but if it looks the right scale to you, that might be really impressive as well.

chuffedfox
Protege
I've noticed a lot of '360' content is captured on tech that really isn't good enough to impress with VR (e.g. a 'big' screen).  

Some of the really immersive and impressive 360 experiences have been either stitched from multiple photos (Mars Curiosity?) or take on some really high-end equipment.

There's nothing that any VR headset can do about content.   I guess you could say the graphics are a bit "Playstation 1" in some games, but it's early days for both VR and the Go content.

haydon_sheppard
Explorer
Thanks for taking the trouble to reply guys. I think the comment about PlayStation 1 graphics sums it up nicely. That’s what I am experiencing and I presume you both are too?

Pickleschlitz
Expert Protege
It basically has a cell phone's guts. You can't expect it to perform like a full gaming system. To be honest, I think the Go's strengths lie in things other than gaming.

Pixelfox
Expert Protege
After a few days use I find that I'm learning to ignore the low-quality aspects of the experience and focus on the content and I now enjoy some of the 360 videos more than I did initially. Some videos (especially if streamed) are lower res than others, and some games/experiences are 60fps vs 72fps, and some have chromatic aberration correction on and some don't, so you have to try a range of things to find the best quality. 

But yeah, this is the state of VR today, and it's going to be an issue for first-time buyers who really have no idea what to expect. Give it a few years and we'll have 4kx4k per-eye, 180 degree FOV, etc., etc.

LZoltowski
Champion
I think most people are used to 4K tv's and retina phones .. so they expect pin sharp visuals.TV's don't really do any processing so the display can be huge and sharp. Running a 4K game at 90fps on a flat screen on anything less than the super high-end power hungry GPU's is reserved for those who have the cash.   Now imagine doing that for both eyes!
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

Pickleschlitz
Expert Protege
The streamable 3D 360 movies are just there to help you decide if you want to spend the time to download the whole thing. You can't compare a $200 self contained headset to a full gaming system or home theater. They are two different animals.

haydon_sheppard
Explorer
Is it fair to say that a lot of content is for GearVR and we should see an improvement with future Oculus Go titles?

LZoltowski
Champion

Is it fair to say that a lot of content is for GearVR and we should see an improvement with future Oculus Go titles?

Yes, at a presentation an oculus engineer was showing that Go hardware can be pushed a little bit more and I am sure that devs are cooking some great things already.
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂