New To The Forum? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. -- Developers Click Here.

Oculus Go Kiosk Mode

FieldOfVisionFieldOfVision Posts: 199 Oculus Start Member
Is it possible to put the Go into a Kiosk mode, as in to only play a single application automatically upon turning on the device.

Check out our latest VR exclusive games from www.FieldOf.Vision

Comments

• trickyelliotttrickyelliott Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I would also like to know about this
  • peternrgpeternrg Posts: 9
    NerveGear
    Following
  • undef_devundef_dev Posts: 13
    NerveGear
    +1
  • VISIONSBOXVISIONSBOX Posts: 6
    NerveGear
    This is something that should be included.
  • jesusrgjesusrg Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    +1
  • doubledandoubledan Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    This feature is needed really badly.  
  • peternrgpeternrg Posts: 9
    NerveGear
    Needed for sure!  
  • ChrisCasChrisCas Posts: 38
    Brain Burst
    This is really needed!
  • SpaceDaveSpaceDave Posts: 17
    NerveGear
    +1. I run a space museum with VR headsets and I'm in desperate need of this.
  • FieldOfVisionFieldOfVision Posts: 199 Oculus Start Member
    @SpaceDave Nice. Which space museum?

• SpaceDaveSpaceDave Posts: 17
    NerveGear
    FieldOfVision said: Which space museum?
    It's called Te Awamutu Space Centre (in New Zealand). I won't be spammy and post a link but it's easy enough to find via search.
    SpaceDave said:
    FieldOfVision said: Which space museum?
    It's called Te Awamutu Space Centre (in New Zealand). I won't be spammy and post a link but it's easy enough to find via search.
    Cool! Good to see other museums showcasing things in VR. That's the way!

• WoolaxWoolax Posts: 3 Oculus Start Member
    I also need it!

• voxelmaniamvoxelmaniam Posts: 125
    Art3mis
    A voxel is a three dimensional pixel!
    Murray Foster
  • Leon-VR-LabLeon-VR-Lab Posts: 6
    NerveGear
    +1
  • frankayarsfrankayars Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    We have the same need.

It would be great if Oculus Go would provide a Kiosk mode - that is the best case scenario.

But, in the meantime, Surelock or KioWare may work if only there was a way to handle the non-VR admin screens. Meaning, it is currently possible to install the Kiosk software using 'adb install surelock.apk' for instance. When the Oculus Go is rebooted - after adb install of the apk, you are prompted with a VR screen to set the Home Launcher to the default Oculus Go Launcher or Surelock for instance. If you set to Surelock, the Admin screens appear in non-VR form (standard phone form) and are not accessible and are hardly viewable through the VR lenses (as one would expect). Any hope with that approach?

Or, another approach is to set our app as the Device Owner and use the Android startLockTask - from custom code. We have tried this as well. However, the permissions do not seem to allow us to set our app to Device Owner.
    adb shell dpm set-device-owner <package>/.AdminReceiver 

Is this approach viable? Perhaps we are missing something regarding permissions?

• EnvodeEnvode Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    We are using the Oculus Go in a exhibition setup and would like to have a Kiosk mode too.
    NerveGear
    edited May 25
    ok, this is a start. I am able to set the app as a launcher:
    adb shell
    cmd package set-home-activity "package/activity"
    to do this you have to define your app as launcher in AndroidManifest.xml
    <category android:name="android.intent.category.LAUNCHER" />

now i would love to get rid of the "Enter VR" screen. any ideas?

@frankayars
    I agree, the dpm set-device-owner method works on android usually but not on Go. Maybe there's an extra step here on Go to be able to pull it off. Wouldn't it be adb shell dpm set-device-owner (package-name)/.DeviceAdmin ?

@undef_dev
    That's awesome though don't we still have the issue that Oculus home is still available?

• frankayarsfrankayars Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    @FieldOfVision
    The Go, I believe, is provisioned by the time we have a chance to set the device owner and that creates a problem for any opportunity to become the device owner.

https://source.android.com/devices/tech/admin/provision
    "Note: The device owner can be set only from an unprovisioned device. If Settings.Secure.USER_SETUP_COMPLETE has ever been set, the device is considered provisioned and the device owner cannot be set."

And to the question of should it be AdminReceiver or DeviceAdmin, it could be either. It is really how you name your class that implements the DeviceAdminReceiver class.
    https://developer.android.com/reference/android/app/admin/DeviceAdminReceiver

Here's googles sample BTW:
    https://github.com/googlesamples/android-DeviceOwner

NerveGear
    edited May 24
    @FieldOfVision Yes we still have the Oculus home, but only accessible by the remote control Oculus button. This is ok in my case, because we dont need this controller.
    (It is just a work around. Would love to disable the Store and all other unnececary processes for our purpose)

@frankayars
    Thanks for the explanation, makes more sense to me now. I'm going to continue experimenting with the commands and see what I can find.

@undef_dev
    On the Go I can't seem to get the command to work. It returns with an argument exception when I try and set-home-activity in the shell. No matter what I try. Could you talk me through your process?

edited May 24
    @frankayars
    Thanks for the information. This makes more sense to me now. I'm going to continue playing around with this and see what happens.

@undef_dev
    Interesting, though I'm not sure how you managed to get that through Oculus anyway? The INFO category is mandatory with Oculus: https://developer.oculus.com/distribute/latest/concepts/publish-mobile-manifest/

Can you explain the process?

NerveGear
    @FieldOfVision oh this was wrong in my comment. define LAUNCHER not HOME (i fixed it above)
    also to check if you have the correct package/activity names try to launch it first:
    am start -n "package/activity"

• wreckertikewreckertike Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    +1
  • WoolaxWoolax Posts: 3 Oculus Start Member
    Hi everyone.

I have tried the Mobilock and Hexnode solutions with the Oculus Go, but they are unmanageable due to they are not correctly displayed, and they don't work with the controller. However, I have been talking with the people of Mobilock, and they told they will buy one Oculus Go to try it, and maybe, adapt their software to VR.

I will give you more updates as soon as I have it
    edited May 29
    @undef_dev thanks for the information. Though I'm still not sure how you are managing to get it through the store upload? As without INFO it won't go through. 
    "Your app must only appear in Oculus Home. It must not appear in the phone’s launcher."

I have managed to do the build directly to the device from Unity with LAUNCHER. The issue with that though is that there is no app on the device once I quit the application. It builds to play once. 

What are you writing in your command for example as "package/activity" ?

NerveGear
    @FieldOfVision i never tried to push it to the store. so then this solution only works for sideloaded apps, uploaded via adb.

to see your installed apps: "Click on Library in the bottom menu bar and navigate to Unknown Sources (this menu item appears after you enable developer mode in the Oculus Go phone app)"

package and activity names are visible in your AndroidManifest.xml
    (I use unreal engine, so it looks like this: com.companyname.projectname/com.epicgames.ue4.GameActivity)

• gunairgunair Posts: 72
    Hiro Protagonist
    +1

LocomotionVR.de - Virtual reality in eMotion

http://www.locomotionVr.de

Organizer of HANNOVER VIRTUAL REALITY MEETUP & Member of COLOGNE VIRTUAL REALITY MEETUP

DK2 Status: OWNER SINCE 04.AUG.14 Ordered: Mar 19, 2014 09:52 AM PDT
  • VR-Lab-nlVR-Lab-nl Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    +1
    A kiosk mode would blow Gear VR even more out of the water. (my 2 cnts)