New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Oculus Go Kiosk Mode

Comments

• talkingdogtalkingdog Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    We would love to be able to do this for museums / experiential advertising projects.  We've been using Gear VRs for lots of projects like that and would love to move to Oculus GO for that, but a little sad to see how problematic it is.
  • gtincsuvrgtincsuvr Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I want to mention here that I was unable to get an app I had made in Android Studio working until I added the "default" and "home" categories to the intent filter for my activity. After that, I had an issue (white screen, nothing working) but was able to get around it by connecting the device and rebuilding the application. Now it seems to work as intended, starting the application and allowing the user to get to oculus home if they have the controller. 
  • lord_of_shredlord_of_shred Posts: 97
    Hiro Protagonist
    An upvote from me for the kiosk/professional mode. I just got a request for an application that would be perfect for the GO...but needs to be able to run at start. I've done this procedure on countless installations over the past few years under Windows/Linux, a real necessity in the profesionall unmonitored environment. 
  • Evans_Taylor_DigitalEvans_Taylor_Digital Posts: 14 Oculus Start Member
    This feature would be awesome... so consider this another vote.

I also think it's a no-brainer for Oculus... I don't think it would be too hard for their android engineers to implement and they would open up huge opportunity for a large portion of their developer base who is focused on making apps for a specific client rather than for the masses.

I think it would also go a long way to popularizing the Oculus Go as a platform... If someone experiences a great VR app at say a museum or an art exhibit they are more likely to purchase an Oculus Go.

• drTheMandrTheMan Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    +1  -- it would also be great if auto-launching the browser in kiosk-mode with a specified url was supported
  • patterncitypatterncity Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    +1
  • VISIONSBOXVISIONSBOX Posts: 8
    NerveGear
    Has anyone tried switching to Lenovo's Mirage Solo? It seems similar - if not superior - in specs, but is possibly more basic Android and might allow this.
  • pmarquespmarques Posts: 11
    NerveGear
    +1! We need some kind of kiosk mode!
  • undef_devundef_dev Posts: 21
    Brain Burst
    edited July 2018
    We managed to create a minimal "KioskMode" Android Launcher.

Download KioskMode .apk here: http://oculusgokioskmode.undef.ch/

This launcher is a workaround since oculus still does not provide any function to implement a proper "kiosk mode".
  • RobD91RobD91 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    +1
  • voxelmaniamvoxelmaniam Posts: 130
    Art3mis
    Has anyone tried switching to Lenovo's Mirage Solo? It seems similar - if not superior - in specs, but is possibly more basic Android and might allow this.
    You do realize that the Solo costs twice as much don't you? This means the Kiosk budget goes half as far. Also, most reviewers consider the Go visual experience to better than the Solo's. Kiosk mode issues can be fixed with software. The visual experience not so much.
    A voxel is a three dimensional pixel!
    Murray Foster
  • VISIONSBOXVISIONSBOX Posts: 8
    NerveGear
    edited July 2018
    You do realize that the Solo costs twice as much don't you? This means the Kiosk budget goes half as far. Also, most reviewers consider the Go visual experience to better than the Solo's. Kiosk mode issues can be fixed with software. The visual experience not so much.
    I know this, but nonetheless the current possibilities to fix this with software are limited and prone to be broken again with any upcoming firmware update. Oculus also shows no intention of changing this behavior.
    Looking for alternatives is only reasonable if not inevitable.
  • voxelmaniamvoxelmaniam Posts: 130
    Art3mis
    A voxel is a three dimensional pixel!
    Murray Foster
  • gagabogologagabogolo Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    +1
  • dhldhl Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    +1 for this. Really need kiosk/professional mode for public use.
  • rgholmrgholm Posts: 8
    NerveGear
    +1 We need a way to simply show 360 videos WITHOUT having to teach each person/user how to use the remote. 
  • Sam-VR-HouseSam-VR-House Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    edited July 2018
    For apps a kiosk mode would add more value to the Oculus Go for businesses! For 360° video's we have developed a kiosk-style video player. 

EZ360 is an easy way to show 360 videos. It automatically starts a video when someone puts on the headset. When you hand the headset to someone else the video resets and the next person can view it from the beginning. If you have any questions, please let me know: [email protected]
    NerveGear
    For apps a kiosk mode would add more value to the Oculus Go for businesses! For 360° video's we have developed a kiosk-style video player. 

EZ360 is an easy way to show 360 videos. It automatically starts a video when someone puts on the headset. When you hand the headset to someone else the video resets and the next person can view it from the beginning. If you have any questions, please let me know!
    NerveGear

EZ360 is an easy way to show 360 videos. It automatically starts a video when someone puts on the headset. When you hand the headset to someone else the video resets and the next person can view it from the beginning. If you have any questions, please let me know!
  • wreckertikewreckertike Posts: 12
    NerveGear
    edited July 2018
    I am curious if anyone has got any reply to this? Seems strange that on this forum most questions raised are answered by Oculus staff except on this point... Anyone got and concrete NO/YES the feature is coming?
  • takoytakoy Posts: 1
    NerveGear

Until 2 days ago I've been using kiosk mode to run on the OculusGo only my app. I've used a 3rd party service which allowed me to do that.

Now after the latest OS update that Oculus have just released this option is not available anymore. You can't start your own Launcher..

So not only that they don't provide this service to their clients / early adopters - they are now actively BLOCKING it and forcing us to develop on other headsets instead..

Why did you block it?

• MorbidDonkeyMorbidDonkey Posts: 284
    Hiro Protagonist
    +1
    -: MorbidDonkey :-
    ===================================
    LOGISTICS - Oculus Prototype 1
  • icespace-devicespace-dev Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    +1
  • novalinkDevnovalinkDev Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Oculus staff, please implement this!
  • StephaneAStephaneA Posts: 16 Oculus Start Member
    +1 we need a kiosk mode and a way to disable the need of the controler to resume an app
  • victordevegavictordevega Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    +1
  • nothingadnothingad Posts: 11
    NerveGear
    +1 also from my Side! There has to be a solution for this problem
  • wreckertikewreckertike Posts: 12
    NerveGear
    undef_dev said:
    We managed to create a minimal "KioskMode" Android Launcher.

Download KioskMode .apk here: http://oculusgokioskmode.undef.ch/

This launcher is a workaround since oculus still does not provide any function to implement a proper "kiosk mode".
    I see they blocked this, was our option to do the next show. You guys looking at trying to do a fix or a lost cause?
  • REALITY_AGENCYREALITY_AGENCY Posts: 9
    NerveGear
    Need kiosk mode as well !