cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pimax 4K Review - Flawed, but a Window into Good things Yet to Come

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
I know some folks will consider this spam on the Oculus Forums but it's good to keep up with the competition. Anyways I am a bit late the party here considering how old the Pimax 4K is but anyhow, for those interested. My review (bedsheet free edition).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSC9MOamOik

Full transcript here for those who don't do youtube.

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.
6 REPLIES 6

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
Great work, buddy.

You mentioned that this 4K Headset is locked at 60Hz while Oculus GO is spec'd at: 60Hz-72Hz

This headset is priced at $350 on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/PIMAX-Virtual-Reality-Headset-Glasses-Windows/dp/B0739Z7W8G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF...

I’m surprised you’d recommend it at all with the ghosting issue, especially at that price-point. With ghosting, low refresh rate, and no full motion tracking, wouldn't it make more sense to recommend someone spend the extra $50 for a Rift? This is assuming that a gaming experience is desired. But if someone wants to watch movies in VR, then it seems that they can save $150 and get a GO instead.

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
Yep it's stuck between a rock and a hard place. Not sure on the $399 USA price as you could possibly pick it up for less. In the UK it's cheaper than that and works out around £269 from Amazon. As mentioned in the review, for seated games like Elite D the 4K is superior visual quality to the Rift by quite some margin (even when factoring the brightness, ghosting and 60 hz issue). So I would suggest it would work as a complimentary bit of kit. Perhaps for those who already own another VR device that fulfills other needs like tracked controllers and roomscale.

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.

Atmos73 said:

Nice review @Shadowmask72

Can’t wait to read your 8k review when it arrives.

What was the last update on that - has there been anything in May?
Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3

Atmos73 said:

Pimax are still looking to get the M1 units out to testers in May with the latest lenses. Depending on their feedback we could see a production run in June.

Expect the worst hope for the best. 

Oh i thought they had gone out already.

OK, thanks.
Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3

LZoltowski
Champion

Yep it's stuck between a rock and a hard place. Not sure on the $399 USA price as you could possibly pick it up for less. In the UK it's cheaper than that and works out around £269 from Amazon. As mentioned in the review, for seated games like Elite D the 4K is superior visual quality to the Rift by quite some margin (even when factoring the brightness, ghosting and 60 hz issue). So I would suggest it would work as a complimentary bit of kit. Perhaps for those who already own another VR device that fulfills other needs like tracked controllers and roomscale.

You mentioned sharper visuals in the headset, how are the optics like? God rays, lens bloom, chromatic aberration, distortion ... etc .... paint me a picture heh.

Also, I would highly recommend a pop filter for your mic, those P's are punching my eardrums esp on the left channel on my headphones.

Keep the reviews coming I always enjoy watching them!

Also when you review those, who is your target audience, a general non-vr consumer/vr newbie or an enthusiast crowd?
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

SkScotchegg
Expert Trustee

I’m surprised you’d recommend it at all with the ghosting issue, especially at that price-point. With ghosting, low refresh rate, and no full motion tracking, wouldn't it make more sense to recommend someone spend the extra $50 for a Rift? This is assuming that a gaming experience is desired. But if someone wants to watch movies in VR, then it seems that they can save $150 and get a GO instead.

I agree, I don't think the Pimax 4k is for me. I reckon the Pimax 8k could be good though if they fix all the issues.
UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!