New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Japan Display builds 1001 DPI screens for future VR headsets

LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,774 Volunteer Moderator
What I find interesting is the fact that it's an LCD, 120Hz refresh rate and 2.3ms response time. Is OLED quickly becoming obsolete as it cannot be pushed in this way?

I know OLED has true blacks, but I find myself wondering if I didn't have the Rift with its OLED screens, would I really be paying attention to the blacks as much as I have on the GO?

https://www.engadget.com/2018/05/11/japan-display-1001-ppi-vr-headsets/
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)

Comments

• snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,479 Valuable Player
    This is why I'm expecting fast-switch LCDs to be used in the CV2. That's partly why the partnership with Xiaomi is so interesting. Unless I'm wrong, Xiaomi manufacture their own displays which is why their mobile phones are so cheap to buy.

I'm still waiting for those iFixit guys to take an Oculus Go apart so that we can see who manufactures the display in the thing.

2 x 4K displays from Xiaomi should be pretty cheap for Facebook to sort out I think, assuming that they can manufacture fast-switch displays at that resolution with a 90Hz refresh rate.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,774 Volunteer Moderator
    snowdog said:
    This is why I'm expecting fast-switch LCDs to be used in the CV2. That's partly why the partnership with Xiaomi is so interesting. Unless I'm wrong, Xiaomi manufacture their own displays which is why their mobile phones are so cheap to buy.

I'm still waiting for those iFixit guys to take an Oculus Go apart so that we can see who manufactures the display in the thing.

2 x 4K displays from Xiaomi should be pretty cheap for Facebook to sort out I think, assuming that they can manufacture fast-switch displays at that resolution with a 90Hz refresh rate.

Yeah, I would be surprised if that was not the case.
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

edited May 2018
    Atmos73 said:
    I’m really looking forward to the PSVR 2. Hi-res screens, great optics and new controllers and tracking. If anyone’s taking VR mainstream it’s Sony.

Not quite my point of the thread, but sure :)
    I wanted to discuss OLED vs LCD in this case more.

Atmos73 said:
    I’m really looking forward to the PSVR 2. Hi-res screens, great optics and new controllers and tracking. If anyone’s taking VR mainstream it’s Sony.

Did you SERIOUSLY put the words SONY, NEW, TRACKING and CONTROLLERS in the same sentence..? lol  :o:D:p

They did so great with that this generation I'm sure they'll carry on with that awesomeness next generation too :D:D:D
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

• nroskonrosko Posts: 954
    Neo
    Blacks in my unit are hideous along with awful smudging are my biggest cv1 grievance. I don't understand how Oled is the best option for VR any games that are at night are ruined for me. So i hope LCD is the way to go personally.  
    nrosko said:
    Blacks in my unit are hideous along with awful smudging are my biggest cv1 grievance. I don't understand how Oled is the best option for VR any games that are at night are ruined for me. So i hope LCD is the way to go personally.  
    Yeah on the GO, the image is just so much more consistent, on the Rift sometimes a game might use SPUD, or completely ignore it and crush those blacks pretty bad.

• nroskonrosko Posts: 954
    Neo
    nrosko said:
    Yeah on the GO, the image is just so much more consistent, on the Rift sometimes a game might use SPUD, or completely ignore it and crush those blacks pretty bad.
    So the GO uses LCD i assume, i was not aware of this.  
  • RoasterRoaster Posts: 1,053
    3Jane
    From the article ...

Where does the Rift compare to this?
    i7-5820K @ 4.2Ghz, water cooled, Asus X99-Pro USB 3.1, 48 Gb DDR4 2400, Samsung 950 pro M.2 SSD, GTX 980 Ti SC, 750w psu
    nrosko said:
    nrosko said:

Yup. The Go uses a fast-switch LCD. I'm expecting the Santa Cruz and the CV2 to also have them when they release.

snowdog said:
    nrosko said:
    nrosko said:

Yup. The Go uses a fast-switch LCD. I'm expecting the Santa Cruz and the CV2 to also have them when they release.
    It just makes more sense, lower cost, less ghosting, higher DPI, I'm sure they can improve on contrast too. 

Talking of ghosting I've just discovered a Canadian programme on Netflix called Rescue Mediums. It's absolutely fucking hilarious lmfao :o:D:D:D

And yes, that is completely off-topic but I don't care lol :p

snowdog said:
    Talking of ghosting I've just discovered a Canadian programme on Netflix called Rescue Mediums. It's absolutely fucking hilarious lmfao :o:D:D:D

And yes, that is completely off-topic but I don't care lol :p

This is your first warning.

warning red flag GIF

• DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 5,701 Volunteer Moderator
    edited May 2018
    The biggest drive for me wanting an OLED TV are the viewing angles and that’s a non-issue with an HMD, so yeah, switching speed and cost takes prcedence.
    If the lenses in the Go produce much less God rays, they'll also increase the apparent contrast in scenes that are evenly lit as that's all tie-in with the Fresnels. So that's a bigger factor than OLED contrast ratios I think.
    Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1903 (18363.720)
  • nosys70nosys70 Posts: 466
    Art3mis

Some people who have the iphone X with oled complains of headeaches that they did not with previous LCD screens.

the reason could be that OLED is sending big bursts of light and that requires very high refresh rates.

You can imagine that if people complains for a smartphone that is seen at arm distance, what would it be if they stick it on their nose.

Ah yes, you have got to love one-upman-ship for the sake of investors. I hope it's true!

• Star-lizardStar-lizard Posts: 347
    Trinity
    Yes thought you'd like it. It's going to be an exciting time for vr if either one works out