New To The Forum? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. -- Developers Click Here.

Making stereoscopic 3D photos and videos for Oculus Go

maximsadymmaximsadym Posts: 4
NerveGear
Hi all,
I'm going to hiking trip to mountains and I want to make some stereo photos and videos.
The question is how to make it? I don't want to have just 360 photos, I want real 3d stereo photos and videos.
Did anybody tried to solve this? I'm considering getting 2 goPro and fix them onto a stick, which will allow to make even Hyper Stereo, which will be very impressive in mountains. But the questions are:
1. How to synchronise photos and videos
2. How to merge them to 1 photo
3. How to view them afterwards on my Oculus Go and how to share it with my friends?

Comments

• maximsadymmaximsadym Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    Ok, I found that Blender can make 3D videos. But there is still question about 3d images.
  • Seth_LoquentSeth_Loquent Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    edited May 12
    Rather than tape together two GoPros, you could use a device and app that's designed for exactly what you want. It's a bit of an outlay, but then, good cameras are worth the money. :)
    https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07968K3GJ
    Or the little brother, for less money:
    https://smile.amazon.com/Vuze-3D-360°-Camera-Blue/dp/B06WWG7SB6
    They shoot video and photos, as well as surround sound audio.
  • RoasterRoaster Posts: 1,048
    3Jane
    A stereo 3d camera would be best.  I use a Fugi W3, but there is also the LucidCam which is 3d 180 4K https://www.lucidcam.com/store/ at $399us
    i7-5820K @ 4.2Ghz, water cooled, Asus X99-Pro USB 3.1, 48 Gb DDR4 2400, Samsung 950 pro M.2 SSD, GTX 980 Ti SC, 750w psu
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 25,667 Oculus Staff
    I'm not sure about 3D photos (unless there is 3rd party software I haven't tried) but you should be able to play 3D videos in Oculus Video or other video apps.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
    3Jane
    I'm not sure about 3D photos (unless there is 3rd party software I haven't tried) but you should be able to play 3D videos in Oculus Video or other video apps.
    You could post your sbs pics to youtube as a slide show and display them with the full screen browser in 3d.
    i7-5820K @ 4.2Ghz, water cooled, Asus X99-Pro USB 3.1, 48 Gb DDR4 2400, Samsung 950 pro M.2 SSD, GTX 980 Ti SC, 750w psu
  • loulou56loulou56 Posts: 2
    NerveGear

I did not find anything for 3D photos, what a shame for a 3D player
  • maximsadymmaximsadym Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    Roaster said:
    You could post your sbs pics to youtube as a slide show and display them with the full screen browser in 3d.
    Which is a bit ugly (
    3Jane
    edited May 12
    loulou56 said:

I just found Samsung VR can display sbs stills in 3D. It's good now.

Edit ... half-sbs stills only.

• tksharplesstksharpless Posts: 24
    Brain Burst
    edited May 12
    It is perfectly possible to make stereoscopic 3D spherical photos and video.  But it is not easy and not something you can learn overnight.  If you can afford $8K or more for a self-stitching 3D 360 video camera, no problem -- except that the VR images will be terribly soft.  If you want to do it yourself, it will still not be easy or cheap.  The least expensive rig I use to shoot stereo still panoramas cost roughly $2000, and I built a lot of it myself.  It is two small Sony mirrorless cameras with Samyang 180 degree lenses, a diode box and radio trigger to synchronize them, a bracket to hold them side by side, and a tall monopod with a surveyor's level on the side to help me hold it upright  as I turn it around to shoot 6 or more stereo pairs.  The s/w I use is PTGui -- the pros' favorite panorama stitcher -- plus PT3D, a helper program that makes PTGui into a 3D stitcher.  You need pretty heavy pano stitching skills to use that combination.  I am still learning after 8 years.
  • CrashFuCrashFu Posts: 1,349 Poster of the Week
    Just heard about this the other day: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0793JTT3R/?coliid=I266YWQSU1FV9T&colid=3VMLTHITILXLJ&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

The Lenovo Mirage Camera.  It's the counterpart of the Lenovo Mirage Headset but I can't imagine any reason that the photos or videos you take with it wouldn't be just as good for Oculus Go apps as they are google daydream apps?
    The next nerd to cry about "the resolution" of top-of-the-line VR devices will be permanently banned from using ALL standard-definition media.  And yes, that includes all pre-Switch Nintendo games. Especially Melee.
    3Jane
    It is perfectly possible to make stereoscopic 3D spherical photos and video.  But it is not easy and not something you can learn overnight.  If you can afford $8K or more for a self-stitching 3D 360 video camera, no problem -- except that the VR images will be terribly soft.  If you want to do it yourself, it will still not be easy or cheap.  The least expensive rig I use to shoot stereo still panoramas cost roughly $2000, and I built a lot of it myself.  It is two small Sony mirrorless cameras with Samyang 180 degree lenses, a diode box and radio trigger to synchronize them, a bracket to hold them side by side, and a tall monopod with a surveyor's level on the side to help me hold it upright  as I turn it around to shoot 6 or more stereo pairs.  The s/w I use is PTGui -- the pros' favorite panorama stitcher -- plus PT3D, a helper program that makes PTGui into a 3D stitcher.  You need pretty heavy pano stitching skills to use that combination.  I am still learning after 8 years.
    Hard core.
    I haven't seen the quality yet, but LucidCam has a three cam bracket for full 360 shots in stereo at 4k. Movies too.
    it would be about $1300 to start.
    That Lenovo cam has a conspicuous lack of resolution info, but it should equal or exceed the Fugi W3.
  • loulou56loulou56 Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Roaster said:
    loulou56 said:

I just found Samsung VR can display sbs stills in 3D. It's good now.

Edit ... half-sbs stills only.

Thank you !
    I found that to be able to watch my mpo photos with Samsung VR but first have to convert them.

Using Stereo Photo Maker.
    * File > Open Stereo Image (W) [load .mpo file]
    * Stereo > Side-by-Side > Half width SBS (Ctrl+Alt+F9)
    * File > Save Stereo Image... (S)

• hollyoak94hollyoak94 Posts: 19
    NerveGear
    And do they look good ? That might make me want to resurrect my old Panasonic 3D1 !
    I wonder if someone's compared that Mirage to the old 3D cameras like the 3D1 or Fuji W3
  • fisherrofisherro Posts: 15
    NerveGear
    Besides half-width SBS in Samsung VR, I've also found Pigasus (but not the free version) can view full-width SBS. In both cases, I use Plex to serve them from my computer.

(I'm very disappointed that neither Oculus Gallery or Oculus Rooms supports any 3D non-pano photos. I'm also disappointed that even the apps I've found that support them don't support MPO.)
    NerveGear
    Wow my 3D1 pics look pretty decent even in Half SBS, best way to view 3D pictures so far and I've tried them all (I think), hehe...the most frustrating must have been the Gadmei 8 3D !

Do you know if there's a way to batch process in SPM ? I can see an "Open File List" menu but can't seem to make much happen there, thanks.
  • voxelmaniamvoxelmaniam Posts: 126
    Art3mis
    edited July 29
    Hi all,
    I'm going to hiking trip to mountains and I want to make some stereo photos and videos.
    The question is how to make it? I don't want to have just 360 photos, I want real 3d stereo photos and videos.
    Did anybody tried to solve this? I'm considering getting 2 goPro and fix them onto a stick, which will allow to make even Hyper Stereo, which will be very impressive in mountains. But the questions are:
    1. How to synchronise photos and videos
    2. How to merge them to 1 photo
    3. How to view them afterwards on my Oculus Go and how to share it with my friends?
    I'm using the Lenovo Mirage (VR180) Camera. I've put some of the content that I've taken on Google Photos and it is viewable using Oculus Gallery (at least). I have posted links in other discussions but here they are again:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/vuw5neXGw4nh7bUt8 
    and here:
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/S9mZwgomfNEugcTY8 
    A voxel is a three dimensional pixel!
    Murray Foster
  • diverswandiverswan Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    Wow my 3D1 pics look pretty decent even in Half SBS, best way to view 3D pictures so far and I've tried them all (I think), hehe...the most frustrating must have been the Gadmei 8 3D !

Do you know if there's a way to batch process in SPM ? I can see an "Open File List" menu but can't seem to make much happen there, thanks.
    In case you haven't already sorted it out in SPM click "File" and go down to "Multi Conversion". Under "output file type" choose hsbs (scroll to bottom) or leave as full sbs if you are using Pigasus Viewer. They must be in parallel view not in cross-view. I usually put the files in one folder. Launch a photo from the folder in SPM. Go to the multi-conversion window and after selecting settings, down on the lower right is an option to "Convert All Files".

Good luck to the original poster finding the right way to get your 3D fix in the hills. If and when you do please share them with us...? I've gone ahead and ordered a QooCam to try my own 1803D stuff with. I'll try to report back once I've tested it out.
    https://www.kandaovr.com/en/qoocam/#/overview

I've got an old FujiW3 that I still use on occaisions... some of my footage is up over on the Tube...
    https://www.youtube.com/user/diverswan/videos?sort=dd&view=0&shelf_id=0

NerveGear
    edited July 25
    hi
    NerveGear
    edited July 25
    bye
    NerveGear
    Wazzup ?

So I've been taking quite a few 3D pics with my 3D1 and they come out pretty good on the GO, not "in your face" like with a lenticular screen but stil pretty enjoyable. I've also noticed that you can zoom in/out with the pad in the Samsung VR app and that helps with immersion.

Has anyone compared the results between HSBS in the SamsungVR app and SBS in the Pigasus app ? Is it worth the money to upgrade? Thanks !
  • fisherrofisherro Posts: 15
    NerveGear
    Most of my stereo photos are from my Nintendo 3DS, so the quality isn't good enough to say whether Samsung VR or Pigasus was better.
    NerveGear
    Wazzup ?

So I've been taking quite a few 3D pics with my 3D1 and they come out pretty good on the GO, not "in your face" like with a lenticular screen but stil pretty enjoyable. I've also noticed that you can zoom in/out with the pad in the Samsung VR app and that helps with immersion.

Has anyone compared the results between HSBS in the SamsungVR app and SBS in the Pigasus app ? Is it worth the money to upgrade? Thanks !
    With Pigasus you can view from full side by side or Hsbs. The resolution would be a bit better in full. Also you can adjust the brightness/darkness/contrast/saturation and view a slideshow. It can be viewed (picture or film) in flat or curved screen. The screen can be zoomed in on and it easily adjusts to where your head is oriented. It's worth the 3-4$ for me. For films you can have subtitles and adjust the sync. The audio sync can also be adjusted. If you choose to view in the theatre you can dim the theatre lights and have a choice of close, normal and way in the back to view the film/pictures. Anyway, enjoy the 3D stuff!