New To The Forum? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. -- Developers Click Here.

Oculus go keeps shutting off while watching Netflix

warren2680warren2680 Posts: 2
NerveGear
So I just got my go and was using it to watch Netflix while laying in bed last night. It kept shutting off after about 8-10 minutes and I would have to hit the power button and restart the show I was watching. I tried things like moving my head or the controller to keep it awake, but to no avail. Does anyone know of a way to fix this? I couldn't find any settings that seemed to relate to a sleep timer or anything. 
Tagged:

Comments

• LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 5,851 Volunteer Moderator
    Heya, have you submitted a ticket? I am sure official Oculus support might be able to assist you better.

https://tickets.oculusvr.com/hc/en-us/requests/new
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 25,667 Oculus Staff
    Yeah, this has happened to me too on occasion (was watching the Assassin's Creed movie in Oculus Video, I don't think it's a Netflix issue). Please submit a support ticket so we can look into it. Thanks.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • warren2680warren2680 Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Ok, I'll submit a ticket. I was hoping I was just missing a setting somewhere. 
  • lenne0815lenne0815 Posts: 97
    Hiro Protagonist
    Having the same issue here.

• billmelaterbillmelater Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Me too, but it happens on everything I try to play. : (
  • CrimsonSky3000CrimsonSky3000 Posts: 8
    NerveGear
    Yeah same here shutting off randomly

Is this a software issue that will get fixed in an update?

Or is it a hardware issue as hope i won't have to return it
    I don't believe it's a hardware issue, but you should contact us so we can look into it. Thanks. https://support.oculus.com

AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • JohSm67JohSm67 Posts: 128
    Hiro Protagonist
    Same problem, turned of twice bot black yesterday while watching Netflix movie!

Is it maybe some thermal shutdown or crash? 

Netflix or OGO error?
    is it possible to debug or get some log information out from the OGO?
  • CarlosSanchez1CarlosSanchez1 Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Same thing. Was watching Cargo the other day in bed and it "randomly" turned off while I was watching it multiple times. I said "randomly" because I honestly did not time each black screen to see if it occurred after "x minutes" of inactivity. But I was able to finish the movie by clicking a button on the controller every few minutes to prevent it from turning off. Honestly, it seemed like the Oculus Go detected no activity / presence and just went to sleep.
  • BkusensBkusens Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Same here - Very annoying
  • BkusensBkusens Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    It's not just Netflix, It happens while watching 3D videos that have been downloaded to the headset
  • JohSm67JohSm67 Posts: 128
    Hiro Protagonist
    Any updates on this from Support tickets?
  • DarmoedDarmoed Posts: 10
    NerveGear
    I have same thing shuts off while movie watch through oculus gallery...
  • vaniteavanitea Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    I timed it, it shuts down every 10 mins if you don't physically interact with the screen. It's annoying af but if you pause and restart the movie before 10 mins it won't turn off. Really hope this gets fixed as watching content is the only thing I really do on the Go until we get better game offerings. 
  • CantatosCantatos Posts: 12
    NerveGear
    edited June 16
    I have the same problem, only not with Netflix. Pretty much all video apps including the Oculus player, I had to buy the pigasus app to play videos without it turning off... You can see the screen dimm and poof off. Everything else works fine including Netflix.. I opened a ticket but was wondering if anyone already had some feedback?

PS it used to work fine, all this started about a week ago not sure if there was an update that caused this.
    Also when I put the device down and it goes in sleep mode and I put it on it switches on, so the sensor is not the problem. And all this with charging the device so its not a battery issue either. It did it on games as well but as I didn't play games for a long time I didn't notice. 

A factory reset fixed the problem!!
  • dopelabsdopelabs Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    putting light pressure on the censor between the lenses and/or wiping it clean fixed it... sorta

i have had this happen a few times.. i noticed that after it goes to sleep by itself, it will not wake if you put it back up to your face. both the sleep and the wake are determined using the censor in between the lenses. so i figured maybe if i poke it something wil happen... well... as soon as i put a little pressure on the censor, the unit turned on and prompted to hold the controller button as per usual. it seems like the connection with the center censor has become loose. my unit has not been dropped or mistreated in any way, and judging by the reports it seems like this may be some type of hardware defect.
    We're looking into this issue now. Thanks.
  • espressofanespressofan Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Same is happening to me on a brand new replacement I received. Hoping there is a fix or workaround soon. Is this happening to every Oculus Go?

• funowowfunowow Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I kept having the same problem. It started when I left my Go on for over an hour while it was charging. When I went to go pick it up, I noticed that it was super hot. I also got a notification that I was also running low on storage. I ended up resetting it to factory defaults (I had to do it twice, because the first time it reset it to a very stale OS version). After the 2nd factory reset it eventually started working again. For a little while I thought I let it get so hot that it actually damaged the HW, but so far so good.
  • aman_dhingraaman_dhingra Posts: 11
    NerveGear
    Even i am also facing similar issue where my oculus go is randomly freezing and thn it restarts. Sometimes it is freezing and restarting randomly while using some specific apps such as netflix, oculus venue and few games, and sometime it freeze and restart while i am on oculus home screen browsing apps. My headset if fully charged, there is no heating issue, it is updated to latest firmware and  mobile app and i tried resting my oculus go and even after reseting problem is still the same. I hope its not a hardware issue
    Please submit a support ticket for assistance. Thanks. https://support.oculus.com
  • aman_dhingraaman_dhingra Posts: 11
    NerveGear
    Please submit a support ticket for assistance. Thanks. https://support.oculus.com
    Yes i already did. They were not able to figure out the issue. and offering replacement. But since i live in india it is really not possible for me to send this device back. So i am waiting for any software update and hoping it will fix this problem. shame that i not even able to use it now! its restarting again and again. :(
  • vaniteavanitea Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    Reviving a dead thread to report in that mine headset still does this after factory resets and support doesn't have a fix other than "factory reset". So incredibly frustrating for those of us who primarily use our Go to enjoy media. I've stopped using mine, wish I could return it. 
  • gwright0501gwright0501 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I wish I would have seen this thread before buying mine.  I just got it today.  Was enjoying it.  Now it just keeps shutting down.  Created a help ticket and started chatting and emails to and from support.  But no answers and now no chats or emails.  And no answers.  Has anyone had success in resolving this issue?
  • TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 160
    Art3mis
    edited August 12
    I've watched a quite few shows and movies with Amazon Prime, no shutdown problems.  Maybe because Prime is streamed through the Go Browser?  Can Netflix be routed through the browser or do you need to use it's app?