New To The Forum? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. -- Developers Click Here.

Anyone has touch pad issue like me?

chettawanchettawan Posts: 77
Hiro Protagonist
edited May 15 in Oculus Go
Hi all. couples day ago I install Dragon Front and can't get pass the tutorial which the game ask me to press the top area of touch pad to examine unit details. I just realize that under the touch pad there're 4 buttons for 4 directions. But seem like my up (top most) button not work correctly. At first I thought it's a game bug but with suggestion from Dragon Front support they suspect my controller may has  hardware issue. After several click on the edge of the touch pad I can successfully register the Examine command and can continue enjoy Dragon Front. I'd like to know if there're many people may have this issue as well or only me that got a faulty controller so I can buy a new one.

To test this just install Dragon Front and play the first tutorial until the game ask you to click Examine the unit.

PS. Where can I order the additional GO controller?

Comments

• basti107basti107 Posts: 19
    NerveGear
    I have the same issue in "Tank Commander", "Republique VR" an "Ultra Wings".

• VinohVinoh Posts: 49
    Brain Burst
    Me too. I have a very hard time pressing up to increase the throttle in UltraWings.
    NerveGear
    I disconnected the controller in the Oculus iOS app and paired it again.
    Still noch chance to throttle up in "Ultra Wings" and "Panzer Commander."
  • desivdesiv Posts: 133
    Art3mis
    OK, so I just had the "can't find the controller" option myself.  Again, not a huge deal, as it is fairly simple to re-pair it in the mobile app, but it is a bit annoying.
    One, I hope they fix it soon. ;-)
    Two, this is another thing where you really need to be able to do this from the Go itself and not "need" the phone for this.
    I'm fine with having the phone app, and even it being primary/recommended.  But you should be able to set up the GO and pair/re-pair controllers from just the GO if needed.

I still am not having great luck with the touchpad in the control area.
    Scrolling in the browser, it's really hard for me to just go up and down without it jumping to the side.
    I tried to play B-Team (I can't figure out that game either) and I am having real trouble selecting a player in the game.
    I try to touch the pad on the TOP to select that character, and the characters keep flashing as tho I am selecting a bunch of them and rarely get the one I want.
    Maybe my thumb is too big?  ;-)
    Not sure if it's a "just getting used to it" issue, or if the sensitivity is too high or if something is wrong...
    I haven't done a lot that requires the touchpad, so maybe it's just me still...
  • chettawanchettawan Posts: 77
    Hiro Protagonist
    Anyone don't have this issue then? I'm not sure it's hardware issue or OS issue.
    NerveGear
    edited May 16
    The sensitivity of the touchpad is one thing.
    My main problem here are the 4 directional buttons below the touchpad.
    My up-button, i do not know whether its in every software, does not work or is very unresponsive.
    Hiro Protagonist
    As far as I know this problem occur only on the up button and I don't understand why. The clicking sounds normal. Since I live in Thailand which is not officially support yet by Oculus, I can't  return my controller for a new one.
  • gotgalfgotgalf Posts: 47
    Brain Burst
    The touchpad has only one button. At the moment you press it, the software measures the position of your finger on the pad, and decides what direction to use. If the touchpad can't detect the position of your finger correctly, the wrong or no direction is used. 

There can be multiple reasons why it can't detect your finger correctly. Very small or very big finger, moist air, very dry air, leading to static electricity building up, strong electromagnetic fields nearby, or just a cheap touchpad and bad software.

• gotgalfgotgalf Posts: 47
    Brain Burst
    p.s. you can see the one button in this teardown photo: https://www.geeky-gadgets.com/oculus-go-teardown-published-by-palmer-luckey-03-05-2018/
    NerveGear
    Ah, thanks for the information.
    So maybe its a software/ firmware problem.
    Or a finger problem ;-)
    Art3mis
    I'm thinking now a lot of it might be software...
    B-Team I have a LOT of problems with selecting which character I want, especially the "top" character.
    But I tried Blaze Rush last night, and that is all touchpad.  I was thinking this would be really bad, but that games seems to control very well with the touchpad.
    Perhaps the touchpad isn't all that great, but with some proper software tweaking, it can be adjusted to be better???

Brain Burst
    Selecting the up direction seems to be getting worse. Esper2 is almost unusable. I just submitted a support ticket to Oculus.
    NerveGear
    Cant‘t play with my new Oculus Go due to this issue.
    :-/
    Hopefully its not hardware related...
    Hiro Protagonist
    gotgalf said:
    The touchpad has only one button. At the moment you press it, the software measures the position of your finger on the pad, and decides what direction to use. If the touchpad can't detect the position of your finger correctly, the wrong or no direction is used. 

There can be multiple reasons why it can't detect your finger correctly. Very small or very big finger, moist air, very dry air, leading to static electricity building up, strong electromagnetic fields nearby, or just a cheap touchpad and bad software.

I've tried pressing the upper touch pad area with minimal portion of thumb. Seem easier to register the up command.
    Art3mis
    edited May 20
    desiv said:
    I'm thinking now a lot of it might be software...
    I know, quoting myself. ;-)
    Anyway, I am changing my thought that it is software.
    I think it is (at least for me) the fact that the pad of my thumb sometimes hits too much of the touchpad.
    Thats why UP movements are even worse, because that places more of my thumb over the touchpad.

Try it using your index finger of your other hand on the touchpad to see.  (No, not for long term playing.  Too awkward.  Just to validate.)
    If it is accurate with your index finger, then it's likely that the pad of your thumb is too flat for accurate response on the touchpad.
    That's the way it is for me.
    I am also trying to angle the controller a bit and using more of the tip of my thumb rather than the pad.
    That is better for accuracy, but not quite where I am comfortable with it yet.
    Might not be your issue, but seems to be mine.
    Oculus support wants me to have someone else try it with my touchpad to see, so I'll have to take it back to work and have some of the people there test it.
    But when I use my index finger or the tip of my thumb, it is pretty accurate.

• burning.airlinesburning.airlines Posts: 62
    Hiro Protagonist
    Yeah, the thumbpad is pretty lame.
  • NijNij Posts: 275
    Nexus 6
    I'm having issues with my controller, it keeps randomly selecting things or swiping through menus, if I'm trying to watch any 360 vidoes or for instance if I'm trying to watch jurassic park blue, the video will keep coming up with the pause menu as if i'm clicking the button, even if I put the controller down, it's still doing it and I know it's definately the controller as if I take the batteries out everything plays fine
    I was a believer!! I was a Kickstarter backer!! Now I shall reap the rewards!!! :D :D :D
    Brain Burst
    Now I'm really confused. I just tried Espy2 and Ultrawings and the controller up direction seems to be working pretty well. A little flakey but usable. I didn't change anything since I last tried it so I have no idea what's going on.
  • jolilosjolilos Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    I have the same problem with the direction function on the pad. I wish it had a hardware d-pad.
    Brain Burst
    I've been providing info to Oculus to try to troubleshoot this problem with the up direction, which comes and goes on my controller. I just received a message that they think it could either be a problem with the controller hardware or even a problem with the headset software processing the data. Unbelievably, he asked me to do a factory reset on the headset, saying that I would lose the ability to return recent purchases but not mentioning that I would lose all my game progress and other saved data. So irresponsible! Of course, I refused. 
    Brain Burst
    Now Oculus support is asking me to send them the possibly defective controller before they will send me a replacement! This would cause me to lose all use of the headset for about 2 weeks. If they insist on this, I'll probably just wait a little longer to see how this common problem develops and hope for a better solution. I love the device but their support is so terrible that I'm about to withdraw my endorsement of it and write reviews reflecting this reality.
    Hiro Protagonist
    Dragon Front support just mailed me last night to confirm that this is known Oculus Go hardware issue. I asking back if this occurs to all or just some units. Still waiting for reply. By the way I manage to live with this issue peacefully by try pressing up touch pad with as small as possible area. It's work pretty well. Let's see this can be fix by software update or not.
    Brain Burst
    chettawan said:
    Dragon Front support just mailed me last night to confirm that this is known Oculus Go hardware issue. I asking back if this occurs to all or just some units. Still waiting for reply. By the way I manage to live with this issue peacefully by try pressing up touch pad with as small as possible area. It's work pretty well. Let's see this can be fix by software update or not.
    Playing Esper 2, it seems to work for a short time after recentering the controller but then fails again. I've tried using the tip of my thumb but that does little to help. Oddly, after getting it working a little, it seems to fail again at the same place in the game. This would seem to indicate a SW component to the problem. I contacted the developer to see if they know anything about it.
  • JerMooreJerMoore Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    I am having this problem as well. Have owned the Go for 2 weeks now and have logged probably 12 hours total. Everything was working fine until I purchased Dreadhalls today. Once the game started, I noticed that I was unable to select the inventory (holding bottom portion of the touchpad). So I hit the home button to exit the game, however the trigger button would not let me hit cancel or resume to go back to my homescreen - it was frozen. After rebooting the headseat and reparing the controller I find that I am not able to swipe back and forth in any menu, and the lower panel will not let me select anything. I tried to hit the settings tab, but absolutely nothing on the bottom menu can get selected. I read through here and did a factory reset, but I am still having this issue.

I tried to use the gamepad (with the battery out of the Go controller) -- this lets me select things in the upper menu but that still won't allow me to select anything on the bottom menu either. Either with the gamepad or the Go controller I cannot access my library, cannot select the home, cannot go to settings.

Either the Headset, the Go controller, or both are malfunctioning.
    Brain Burst
    Sorry you're also having controller problems, JerMoore. Sounds more severe than the other problems (up direction) being discussed here. When you did the factory reset in the phone app settings, did you lose all of your games progress and other content you may have loaded? (Just confirming that my theory is correct.) Thanks.
    NerveGear
    Vinoh said:
    Sorry you're also having controller problems, JerMoore. Sounds more severe than the other problems (up direction) being discussed here. When you did the factory reset in the phone app settings, did you lose all of your games progress and other content you may have loaded? (Just confirming that my theory is correct.) Thanks.

I kept the  Oculus app on phone. The headset did lose all saved information. The Oculus app however had recent activity remembered, so I was able to easily re-download what I had recently.
    Brain Burst
    So, getting back to the original issue with the up direction not registering, I'm going to start a new thread with a more specific title to see how many users are affected by this and if anyone has had their controller replaced.
    NerveGear
    I can confirm that my issue is the Go Controller. After doing two factory restores the problem was still going on while trying to use the Go Controller. I sat the unit down for a few hours and came back to it later to discover that all was working OK. So I played Dreadhalls, and during the middle of play I suddenly couldn't pull up the inventory (using the bottom of the touchpad). The "clickiness" in the touchpad was gone -- like the button is stuck. I then took the battery out of the Go Controller, restarted the unit and grabbed a game-pad, which worked flawlessly. It appears my situation is because the lower portion of the trackpad is malfunctioning because the unit thinks I am swiping down all the time.
    NerveGear
    Any news? Real problem.
    Brain Burst
    Someone mentioned that an update was pushed this morning. I just tried Ultrawings and Esper 2 and the up direction in both now seems to work fine. Coincidence? How about you guys?