New To The Forum? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. -- Developers Click Here.

Initial setup

Diablo35Diablo35 Posts: 4
NerveGear
I really want to get an Oculus Go when they become more widely available in the UK. However I just read on the Amazon reviews that it is necessary to have an Android phone or iPhone to set it up. My phone is a low end windows phone, but I do own an iPod touch. Is it possible to do the initial setup with the iPod touch? Failing this, I own an Android tablet, not sure if this is any good for getting the Oculus Go set up?

Comments

• ElkeBElkeB Posts: 17
    NerveGear
    I think the Android tablet might work if it's 6.0 upwards and has got GPS.
  • FailrunnerFailrunner Posts: 159
    Art3mis
    You're basically screwed because Oculus doesn't wanna make vr setup menus. Seriously if you wanna make vr accesible to everyone you actually have to do that and not just people with specific phones. Argh!
  • Diablo35Diablo35 Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    Thanks for your replies, think I might wait a few months to get an Oculus Go, when I've got enough saved to replace the phone as well, which is something I had planned anyway. I too suspect the tablet might work (it is Android 7.0), but maybe a bit too much of a risk to buy something I might or might not be able to use.
  • LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 5,467 Volunteer Moderator
    Diablo35 said:
    Thanks for your replies, think I might wait a few months to get an Oculus Go, when I've got enough saved to replace the phone as well, which is something I had planned anyway. I too suspect the tablet might work (it is Android 7.0), but maybe a bit too much of a risk to buy something I might or might not be able to use.
    Ipod touch should be fine if it has Bluetooth 4.0 .. Android phone with OS 6.0 or higher and Bluetooth 4.0
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
    NerveGear
    Diablo35 said:
    Ipod touch should be fine if it has Bluetooth 4.0 .. Android phone with OS 6.0 or higher and Bluetooth 4.0
    I've just checked and apparently my iPod touch has Bluetooth 4.1. I've learned the app that is used for setup is compatible with the iPod touch and I've downloaded it. I'll do some more research, but I'm leaning more towards buying an Oculus Go when it comes out again, thanks for your input.
  • JustBob12JustBob12 Posts: 14
    NerveGear
    I got my GO yesterday and I set it up with a Xiaomi Mi Pad 2 which is on android 5.1

I didn't think it would work so I'd already installed BlueStacks on my laptop but had no need for it. Maybe there's an exception to this android 6 requirement for Xiaomi devices. ;)
    NerveGear
    JustBob12 said:
    I got my GO yesterday and I set it up with a Xiaomi Mi Pad 2 which is on android 5.1

I didn't think it would work so I'd already installed BlueStacks on my laptop but had no need for it. Maybe there's an exception to this android 6 requirement for Xiaomi devices. ;)

More good news for me, I think on balance I'll probably be alright with my tablet and/or iPod touch. Just need them to show up in the UK now.
  • LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 5,467 Volunteer Moderator
    JustBob12 said:

Some Android 5.1 devices work. Bluestacks, unfortunately, does not support Bluetooth device pass through, which it needs for Initial Setup.  I tried running Android x86 7 on a VM machine which has Bluetooth support but the Oculus app crashes on startup and gives an error of unsupported device, unfortunately.
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)