New To The Forum? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. -- Developers Click Here.

Oculus GO sales numbers? (UPDATE)

LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 5,192 Volunteer Moderator
edited May 31 in Oculus Go
So I have been keeping an eye on Oculus App Android downloads numbers, A week after launch it was at 10,000 now it's at 50,000 plus (this is not counting ios devices, damn you apple) .. I'm not saying that this is indicative of anything but nice to see it growing, esp that it has been out for only 2 and a half weeks and seems to be gaining buzz. (Not to mention increased number of new members on this forum, although I would not have expected huge numbers as Mainstreamers don't tend to hang in forums heh) Will be interesting to see numbers grow when the GO gets released in countries outside of the US (yes it's available at oculus.com) but it is nowhere to be found at other retailers, online or otherwise.

EDIT May 31st:

Now at 100,000

Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)

Comments

• snowdogsnowdog Posts: 4,440 Power Poster
    Yup, I can see it being the must-have present at Christmas. It's certainly at a very giftable price.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 5,192 Volunteer Moderator
    snowdog said:
    Yup, I can see it being the must-have present at Christmas. It's certainly at a very giftable price.
    Oh yeah, definitely, ... it's actually a no-brainer for my sister, so that's what she's getting :) 
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

• ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 11,081 Power Poster
    I'm buying one for at least 3 family members for Christmas.

We're looking good for my 2018 GO Prediction though!

Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
    edited May 17
    Zenbane said:
    I'm buying one for at least 3 family members for Christmas.

We're looking good for my 2018 GO Prediction though!

The thing is I haven't seen any marketing from Oculus, no billboards, TV ads, etc ... I am hoping that once it has a wider availability they will start a bit of marketing. The potential for GO is huge here, to get into the hearts and minds of mainstream audiences, and then BOOM like a dealer going in 2019... "Hey there, you liked the GO, want some stronger stuff, well, do ya? ... Here is Santa Cruz .. untethered, MOAR powerful, 360 6dof freedom .. "

Notice that the Oculus mobile app is not called Oculus Go app :)

Yessir. It's only been 17 days and we're at 50,000. Breaking 1 million this year should be easy. The second million will come in if there's big advertising. We shall see!
  • kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 3,689
    Project 2501
    The thing is I haven't seen any marketing from Oculus, no billboards, TV ads, etc ... I am hoping that once it has a wider availability they will start a bit of marketing.

What! you stalking me!!
    Just had this very discussion a few minutes ago with some exec's here at our FOIL conference.
    Some felt that this might be because they are waiting for the holidays to drop the dime, while others thought the lack of PR was just a FB thing!
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
    kevinw729 said:
    The thing is I haven't seen any marketing from Oculus, no billboards, TV ads, etc ... I am hoping that once it has a wider availability they will start a bit of marketing.

What! you stalking me!!
    Just had this very discussion a few minutes ago with some exec's here at our FOIL conference.
    Some felt that this might be because they are waiting for the holidays to drop the dime, while others thought the lack of PR was just a FB thing!

Heh, IM BEHIND YOU! ;)

I'm speculating here, but technically the GO is not really launched outside of the US yet, yes it's available on oculus.com but not other retailers or brick and mortar shops. Probably completely in my head, but If I was marketing, I would sort the Supply Chain first, make sure it's everywhere and then BOOM, do a kick-ass marketing campaign.

• nroskonrosko Posts: 584
    Trinity
    It depends if there is competition at christmas. I actually think 50k is a bit low? Normally release day is a peak as there is a backlog of customers waiting to buy it. Early days but I think it looks similar to cv1 sales not really the everyman product it was hoping to be.  
    nrosko said:
    It depends if there is competition at christmas. I actually think 50k is a bit low? Normally release day is a peak as there is a backlog of customers waiting to buy it. Early days but I think it looks similar to cv1 sales not really the everyman product it was hoping to be.  

There were no Pre-Orders for GO and the official launch was more rumor than anything else; since the actual release date was never confirmed.

If you think that the numbers match the Rift CV1, then that only proves that GO's numbers are in fact high. Because the Rift CV1 had a ton of marketing and two Demo products (DK1, DK2) there were advertised across YouTube since 2014 with millions of views.

GO had none of that and still hit the same numbers? That's your indication that sales are higher than expected.
    nrosko said:
    True, but I think that applies to games more than this tho, it's a completely new product category for the mainstream and in this instance, like with the first iphone it will be organic growth, rather than a day 1 hit.

• DarmoedDarmoed Posts: 10
    NerveGear
    Next oculus Go i would like to see supports 5K Videos
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 4,119 Poster of the Week
    Darmoed said:

You might be waiting a while..
    Trinity
    RedRizla said:
    Darmoed said:

maybe not, if they could maybe down scale for games but use high res screen for watching videos. 
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 4,119 Poster of the Week
    nrosko said:
    RedRizla said:
    Darmoed said:

maybe not, if they could maybe down scale for games but use high res screen for watching videos. 

And what processor is going to do that on an Oculus GO? Where also talking about 2 screens not just one.
    RedRizla said:
    nrosko said:
    RedRizla said:
    Darmoed said:

And what processor is going to do that on an Oculus GO? Where also talking about 2 screens not just one.

This one!

https://www.em360tech.com/tech-news/technews/google-unveils-worlds-powerful-quantum-computing-processor/

• Digikid1Digikid1 Posts: 759
    3Jane
    Those numbers would be far greater if they made it available to Canadian customers on a more widespread sales model. Amazon canada says that Oculus will not let them sell it but America Amazon can. The ONLY way to get it is theough Oculus themselves in Canada. 

That’s pure BS sales tactics right there. 
  • edmgedmg Posts: 1,070
    Wintermute
    Oculus deliver to Canada faster than Amazon and probably charge less (tax is included in the Oculus price, but not at Amazon).
  • Digikid1Digikid1 Posts: 759
    3Jane
    edmg said:
    Oculus deliver to Canada faster than Amazon and probably charge less (tax is included in the Oculus price, but not at Amazon).
    Amazon Canada delivers next day. Oculus does this as well?
  • edmgedmg Posts: 1,070
    Wintermute
    edited May 17
    Digikid1 said:
    Amazon Canada delivers next day.
    Not unless you pay extra for shipping, it doesn't. At least, not unless you happen to live right next-door to an Amazon warehouse.

Usually more like a week for free shipping to me.
  • kpbendikpbendi Posts: 4
    NerveGear

Heh, IM BEHIND YOU! ;)

I'm speculating here, but technically the GO is not really launched outside of the US yet, yes it's available on oculus.com but not other retailers or brick and mortar shops. Probably completely in my head, but If I was marketing, I would sort the Supply Chain first, make sure it's everywhere and then BOOM, do a kick-ass marketing campaign.

I guess they did not want to go the usual "max the hype, max the pre-orders then disappoint users by not reaching their irrational expectations" route. Instead they are selling it to the early adopters and wait for good reviews, which Oculus Go actually has. Later they can increase the mass-production and do some advertising for the non-geeks without risking bad media responses.
  • CrashFuCrashFu Posts: 1,333 Poster of the Week
    Man, all it would take is one prankster on that subway.

:anguished:
    The next nerd to cry about "the resolution" of top-of-the-line VR devices will be permanently banned from using ALL standard-definition media.  And yes, that includes all pre-Switch Nintendo games. Especially Melee.
    Yup, I saw that on Reddit the other day. That can't be a legit picture, surely? If so that's pretty crazy!
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Trinity
    snowdog said:
    Yup, I saw that on Reddit the other day. That can't be a legit picture, surely? If so that's pretty crazy!

I think its legit. looks like they are friends maybe going to study.
    https://ekla.in/trends/train_go.html
    Someone on the Oculus sub-Reddit has done a reasonably thought out estimation between 100,000 to 200,000. Details here:

https://old.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/8ksp2x/estimate_oculus_go_has_sold_over_100000_units/

Sounds about right I reckon. Pretty good going considering that you can only buy it at retail in the US with other regions not being available until July.

• kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 3,689
    Project 2501
    It looks pretty good if this was just the Western numbers - but we have to remeber the Xiaomi component to these sales - for the China market. I understand speculation on the sales numbers can be fun however.

P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
    Facebook is still mostly banned in China, and Xiaomi is a well-known brand. That could be the reason why Facebook and Xiaomi are going to use the Xiaomi brand in China.

Xiaomi is the manufacturer, but Facebook still owns the IP. Sales are good for everyone involved. Speculating the details of the Facebook/Xiaomi partnership can be fun though.

• nalex66nalex66 Posts: 4,071 Power Poster
    kevinw729 said:
    It looks pretty good if this was just the Western numbers - but we have to remeber the Xiaomi component to these sales - for the China market. I understand speculation on the sales numbers can be fun however.

I think these numbers would be just the western sales, since they’re based on number of installs of the Oculus Android app. I don’t know for sure, but I would assume that units sold in China under the Xiaomi brand would use a different app rather than the Oculus one.

I don’t know whether there’s any way to gauge the sales numbers in China, but the Go seems to be doing pretty well in this hemisphere. 
    i7 5820K 4.25 GHz | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair LPX 32GB DDR4 3000 | Corsair Hydro H100i | Corsair HX750
    EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Samsung 850 Evo SSD 1 TB | Samsung 840 Evo SSD 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3TB
    My Oculus Medium sketchbook thread, and my Oculus Medium Gallery
    edited May 20
    nalex66 said:
     I don’t know for sure, but I would assume that units sold in China under the Xiaomi brand would use a different app rather than the Oculus one.

Yep, they are using an entirely different SDK. It's the same unit under entirely different hardware/software branding. Likely due to Oculus being owned by Facebook and Facebook being banned in China. It's a smart way to infiltrate a market barrier.
    :)
    It wouldn't surprise me if they've shifted at least 400K of the things including the sales from the Far East, maybe even half a million. I'm beginning to think that @Zenbane may be right with his 2m+ prediction. :o

These things are going to fly off shelves worldwide around Christmas.