New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Oculus GO sales numbers? (UPDATE)

Comments

• ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 15,520 Valuable Player
    Atmos73 said:
    Hang on. Zenbane ust spent the last how many pages dismissing the Amazon rankings but as soon as some one else post Amazon rankings he has this to say!
    Zenbane said:
    Nice one @vanfanel !
    This gets ultimate lols.

You are intentionally generalizing my position in order to perform a very bad personal callout.

What I did was spend many pages dismissing Amazon rankings as a sales indicator.

vanfanel specifically made this clear when presenting the charts:
    As someone mentioned these rankings do not represent a linear ranking of actual units sold.

What gets ultimate lols is your continued failed attempts to attack/derail in this thread. Things just got back on track; try to control yourself for the betterment of those trying to move on to something actually constructive.

Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • nroskonrosko Posts: 954
    Neo
    Atmos73 said:
    No, no, no. I posted rankings, he posted rankings. The difference is I specified if you know rough sales figures of one you can relatively fill in the blanks for the others. If Vive sells 42,000 a month and GO ranks the same. You can be pretty sure as far as Amazon is concerned GO is selling roughly 42,000 too. GO couldn’t possibly be selling 3 or 4 times as many.

But I actually couldn’t care less if you dismiss my theory or not. Lets wait for F8 2019 for some real sales figures.
    Forget it Zenbane is totally blind to his own bias.
  • mikeyreds12mikeyreds12 Posts: 9
    NerveGear
    It’s on sale in the UK direct from Oculus.  I’ve seen no advertising for it though not even on Facebook itself which is surprising really unless they are waiting for more experiences/apps to become available.  Definitely needs apps like NetFlix, Prime and Sky UK (or even Flixster) to allow you to download movies as they do for IOS devices.  I’m sure it will come just a pain having to wait.  I’m really pleased so far with the quality and the content to date but needs more.  The possibility of watching live sports and concerts in decent quality is something I’m looking forward to.  Compares well with the PSVR and is better in some ways although the lack of positional tracking (e.g. moving back and forth to look out of a window) is noticeable in a few apps (like Apollo 11) .  Overall shows lots of promise.  Can’t wait for future generations with faster processors, higher video quality and a wider field of view.  This device could be what the iPhone was to phones (hopefully!) and is just the start.
  • kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 5,245 Valuable Player
    It’s on sale in the UK direct from Oculus.  I’ve seen no advertising for it though not even on Facebook itself which is surprising really unless they are waiting for more experiences/apps to become available.  Definitely needs apps like NetFlix, Prime and Sky UK (or even Flixster) to allow you to download movies as they do for IOS devices.  I’m sure it will come just a pain having to wait..

Agree that it is surprising - I moderated at the VR World conference in London yesterday, and on and off the show floor there was a lot of consternation at the lack of any collective support in marketing or promotion from OVR or FB. There were the usual suggestion of the "coming soon killer app" that would start the process, or the "waiting till Christmas" suggestion - but both did not hold water. Especially with the news of the Samsung/HTC AR/VR system in the wings, and the price drop expected on the Focus. Possibly OVR is waiting on their own major price drop to make the OGO a "must have" entry level VR system?
    urdgfqqehbbb.png
    ** Second New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
    edited May 2018
    Atmos73 said:
    No, no, no. I posted rankings, he posted rankings.

He posted ranks and said that the ranks do not indicate sales numbers; you posted ranks and said that they do indicate sales numbers. You spent 3 pages defending that fact. Are you really going to spend another 3 pages re-explaining it? lol

nrosko said:

nah, I'm just immune to trawls.

You also seem to have forgotten that you also disagreed with Atmos' use of Amazon Rankings to determine sales figures. Yet you blindly champion his cause anyway. You seem immune to quite a few things, like consistency and relevance and smarts in general.
    urdgfqqehbbb.png
    ** Second New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,662 Valuable Player
    kevinw729 said:
    It’s on sale in the UK direct from Oculus.  I’ve seen no advertising for it though not even on Facebook itself which is surprising really unless they are waiting for more experiences/apps to become available.  Definitely needs apps like NetFlix, Prime and Sky UK (or even Flixster) to allow you to download movies as they do for IOS devices.  I’m sure it will come just a pain having to wait..

Agree that it is surprising - I moderated at the VR World conference in London yesterday, and on and off the show floor there was a lot of consternation at the lack of any collective support in marketing or promotion from OVR or FB. There were the usual suggestion of the "coming soon killer app" that would start the process, or the "waiting till Christmas" suggestion - but both did not hold water. Especially with the news of the Samsung/HTC AR/VR system in the wings, and the price drop expected on the Focus. Possibly OVR is waiting on their own major price drop to make the OGO a "must have" entry level VR system?

The same could be said of the Rift too regarding marketing, although wasn't there a Rift advert at the Super Bowl or something?

Generally though the marketing for VR devices has been pretty minimal, even for PSVR.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 5,841 Volunteer Moderator
    snowdog said:
    kevinw729 said:

The same could be said of the Rift too regarding marketing, although wasn't there a Rift advert at the Super Bowl or something?

Generally though the marketing for VR devices has been pretty minimal, even for PSVR.

The various companies may just have very conservative predictions of number of units that they'll sell (compared to many other tech items), geared their manufacturing plants to suit those numbers and figure that advertising just won't push that figure much.

No matter how good a VR device is... I'm not sure it's escaped the 'for the enthusiast and the curious' category of devices just yet, at least in the eyes of many people. Go may be pushing that image but I think it'll still take time.

Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v2004 (19041.329)
    snowdog said:

That was an ad for the GearVR I believe:

Facebook doesn't really have to spend much on advertising yet. Although it seems that they 'should' if they want to mass adopt quickly. My spidey senses tell me that they expect VR to hit those billions "organically" whereas mass ad campaigns is highly artificial.

Case in point, Mark Z. just has to say something about the Rift and it reaches his current follower base which is currently: 110,956,284 people

Over 100 million followers is a decent starting point for organic growth.
    snowdog said:

I would have agreed with you, but in reality I think the VR community is too close to the source to see the impact of the publicity - there was that Samsung investment in GVR, including the pivotal Ostrich commercial, and the follow on in Asia. There was the BestBuy and MS store stuff and also the push by OVR with their VIP lounge for retailers and marketing.

VR marketing is needed to help "manage the message" that NateM promised countless times OVR would be investing in at this point - to not invest at this point of launch of their mobileVR hardware seems a wasted opportunity - especially as the company needs to distinguish between its mobileVR, stand-aoine and high-end PC to avoid confusion and disappointment.

urdgfqqehbbb.png
    ** Second New Book **
    edited May 2018
    It's misinformation to say that Samsung gave away "half" of the amount sold:
    • Sumsung GearVR sold over 5 million units globally
    • The biggest estimate of "free" GearVR units is 1 million during a global promotion
    • 1 million is not half of 5 million

Also, if Samsung "gave away" so many Gear VR's, then that means GO is actually selling "more than" GearVR; based on the basic understanding of how "selling" and "giving away for free" works.
    Neo
    Zenbane said:
    Atmos73 said:
    No, no, no. I posted rankings, he posted rankings.

He posted ranks and said that the ranks do not indicate sales numbers; you posted ranks and said that they do indicate sales numbers. You spent 3 pages defending that fact. Are you really going to spend another 3 pages re-explaining it? lol

nrosko said:

nah, I'm just immune to trawls.

You also seem to have forgotten that you also disagreed with Atmos' use of Amazon Rankings to determine sales figures. Yet you blindly champion his cause anyway. You seem immune to quite a few things, like consistency and relevance and smarts in general.
    I'm championing his right to have an opposing opinion without being attacked, of course you are forever obtuse. 
    edited May 2018
    nrosko said:
    I'm championing his right to have an opposing opinion without being attacked, of course you are forever obtuse. 

Yet you started your participation in this thread with an attack and have continued to make personal attacks in worse ways than Atmos was ever attacked. The irony of you using the word "obtuse" is one of the many things lost on you in this conversation.

It's a bit crazy that you frown upon Oculus 'bias' on an Oculus forum yet you chearlead so hard for Vive Bias on the same forum. The fact that you're chearleading Atmos despite you fundamentally disagree with his position in this debate is an added bonus.
    :D
    Neo
    Maybe VR is a difficult thing to make look attractive through advertising. Maybe they are happy just to build things up slowly & naturally by word of mouth friends & family trying vr ect. I am surprised it is so restricted in the UK I do not understand why its not going on Amazon for a wider market. 
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,662 Valuable Player
    nrosko said:
    Maybe VR is a difficult thing to make look attractive through advertising. Maybe they are happy just to build things up slowly & naturally by word of mouth friends & family trying vr ect. I am surprised it is so restricted in the UK I do not understand why its not going on Amazon for a wider market. 

Someone on the Oculus sub-Reddit said that retail stores in the UK and Europe are getting Oculus Gos to sell in July apparently, so Amazon UK will be included in that I would have thought.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
    edited May 2018
    snowdog said:
    Someone on the Oculus sub-Reddit said that retail stores in the UK and Europe are getting Oculus Gos to sell in July apparently, so Amazon UK will be included in that I would have thought.

Yep, the July 'rumor' is slowly becoming less rumor. A spike in GO sales is en-route.

Time to repair the train tracks in preparation of Atmos' Amazon screenshots from his smartphone. nrosko, make sure you don't wear out those pom pom's in one thread. July is gonna be a big month for them!
    :p
    Yep, I'd be very surprise if the likes of John Lewis didn't start stocking it at some point soon. I think that's when I'd have to give it a try.
    Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v2004 (19041.329)
    Neo
    Zenbane said:
    nrosko said:

Yet you started your participation in this thread with an attack and have continued to make personal attacks in worse ways than Atmos was ever attacked. The irony of you using the word "obtuse" is one of the many things lost on you in this conversation.

It's a bit crazy that you frown upon Oculus 'bias' on an Oculus forum yet you chearlead so hard for Vive Bias on the same forum. The fact that you're chearleading Atmos despite you fundamentally disagree with his position in this debate is an added bonus.
    I think you have actually lost the plot. 

"Leave Atmos alone!!"
    -nrosko

LZ won't be happy when he comes back and sees what a mess we've made of his thread... & I'm not tidying the place up
    I'm happy to move on. I let Atmos have the las word on the issue, but it seems nrosko is on a mission lol
    Neo
    Zenbane said:
    I'm happy to move on. I let Atmos have the las word on the issue, but it seems nrosko is on a mission lol
    I'm on a mission? sure i'm the one posting 24/7. 
    nrosko said:
    Zenbane said:
    I'm on a mission? sure i'm the one posting 24/7. 

You seem to be keeping up just fine. You are also more obsessed with a personal vendetta instead of the topic. Once we both agreed that Atmos' use of Amazon as a sales indicator is false, and also that Atmos' notion that GO sales are relative to Oculus sales is equally false... there was no reason for you and I to continue with any debate.

You've instead chosen to make things person with namecalling (calling me "Zenbot" and "obtuse") all for what seems a very obvious mission.

You are ill-equipped for the task, and I'm not going to allow you to bait me too far down the rabbit hole. But feel free to continue with the pointless postings.
    And notice how in this thread @nrosko is trying to defend a persons right to provide contradictory views even if it involves non-factual data, yet in the ForestVR Thread, he is making personally charged comments at me simply because I'm sharing factual feedback from real people about a game that he has a strong bias towards:

Good job on staying true to your beliefs
  • MradrMradr Posts: 3,879 Valuable Player
    edited May 2018
    Atmos73 said:
    No, no, no. I posted rankings, he posted rankings. The difference is I specified if you know rough sales figures of one you can relatively fill in the blanks for the others. If Vive sells 42,000 a month and GO ranks the same. You can be pretty sure as far as Amazon is concerned GO is selling roughly 42,000 too. GO couldn’t possibly be selling 3 or 4 times as many.

But I actually couldn’t care less if you dismiss my theory or not. Lets wait for F8 2019 for some real sales figures.
    Except you are not dealing with multi skues and been call out on that many times now. Oculus has many skus with in the Amazon ranking. Yet you you don't comment that into your results and only show the top skus for it all side stepping the other data there. You also don't say it is part of the US sales only and again state it like that is the only viewpoint. A viewpoint is nice, but totally nothing we can state as fact until we look at a total bigger picture aka multi view point. Until we get numbers from Oculus or some how we can compare what the different two stores generate in income one viewpoint can't rule them all.

To be honest - the number of units out there has no real meaning. It all comes down to the bottom line - how much are they making in income from their stores. We will never get that number for a while - but it is something we need to keep in mind when talking about unit sells. On the other hand - the more units out there the better/well known you are in the world and that can still translate into how much business both in the high and low end you do. But point viewpoint can't be used to tell how well that is doing until you get multi view points ( one from the source and one from a third party ).
    edited May 2018
    Atmos73 said:
    This whole thread is based on nothing and pointless. I’m not wasting any more time on it.

When I read this I had to scroll up to see if I had accidentally clicked on the Pimax 8K Megathread. Nice trick!

Atmos73 said:
    Wait for Oculus, wait for Facebook, wait for eternity. It’s sunny outside. I’m out.

So you're going to go outside to keep waiting for Knuckles and Pimax? Seems like it's been an eternity already.

Anyway, this is like the 3rd time you've said you are "out" in this thread. We may need to have a discussion on how being "out" works. Enjoy the sun. Don't stand in it too long, it's not Pimax 8K and Knuckles day.
    Atmos73 said:

Besides people keep baiting me

I know the feeling ;)

Enjoy the new speakers.
  • JuniusLeeJuniusLee Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I feel like a number of you are new to the internet.

All you have to do is ignore the trolls and hope they don't go away. As they continue to attempt to derail your conversation, you continue to ignore them. This builds anxiety in their bored little heads. Eventually, you've ruined their day, while having maintained your discussion.

I'm certain you'll have another opportunity to practice, soon.  ;)