New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Oculus GO sales numbers? (UPDATE)

Comments

• Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 4,131 Valuable Player
    I think the GO needs a little more time in the market (six months). First week sales estimates are good for software (like video games) or established consumer devices (like new phones) but VR hardware is a very different market. Slow VR adoption reminds me of the tortoise and the hare parable. 

System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
  • vanfanelvanfanel Posts: 180
    Art3mis
    In the spirit of the first post on this thread the oculus app on android has now surpassed 100k:

• snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,654 Valuable Player
    The Oculus Go sold out in China in 3 minutes when it was released over there today.

They only had 30,000 units available though which is pretty low imo. They should have had at least 50,000 available for today's launch. Having the Mi Store over there is going to be HUGE, this thing is going to sell a SHITLOAD over there.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,774 Volunteer Moderator
    Now at 100,000 installs, this is Android only and not counting iPhone

Not bad for a month of sales

Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 15,478 Valuable Player
    Welcome back. Everything was fine whilst you were away!

Also, for those interested, here are the pertinent ranges:

• 50,000 - 100,000
    • 100,000 - 500,000
    • 500,000 - 1,000,000
    • 1,000,000 - 5,000,000
    • 5,000,000+

So we won't see that Android download range change again until GO surpasses 500,000 downloads.
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 5,241 Valuable Player
    snowdog said:
    The Oculus Go sold out in China in 3 minutes when it was released over there today.

They only had 30,000 units available though which is pretty low imo. They should have had at least 50,000 available for today's launch. Having the Mi Store over there is going to be HUGE, this thing is going to sell a SHITLOAD over there.

You are right, that is an incredibly low number on a supported consumer release - as if it was done just to be able to have the headlines "Sold Out In 3-Minutes"!
    urdgfqqehbbb.png
    ** Second New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
    edited June 2018
    Cheers! Good to be back :) ...

My GO was AMAZEBALLS on the plane ... interesting side note, during turbulence, the world inside of the GO was surprisingly stable and smooth, it was quite relaxing and helped with the flying stress, the flight went by so quickly with the thing on, had a small power bank with me so the thing lasted 5 hours without an issue.

Welcome back - glad things went well (did you visit that bar?)
    Yes the whole "de-stressing" with a HMD on is a thing we noticed on the VR Coaster projects - people who would be anxious of rollercoasters actually find the GearVR experience relaxing compared to the normal ride, (digital blindfold).

urdgfqqehbbb.png
    ** Second New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
  • AQfumesAQfumes Posts: 133
    Art3mis

My GO was AMAZEBALLS on the plane ... interesting side note, during turbulence, the world inside of the GO was surprisingly stable and smooth, it was quite relaxing and helped with the flying stress, the flight went by so quickly with the thing on, had a small power bank with me so the thing lasted 5 hours without an issue.

The flight crew got annoyed with me as they kept wanting to get my attention to ask IF I wanted food or drink lol although they were quite curious of what it was, so I obliged one with a demo, they loved it. 
    That's awesome hearing about your experience with the Go on a flight. I'm looking forward to using mine on a flight later this summer, and I didn't even think about not having the crew's attention. I'll need to keep a head's up for that sort of thing. Also I felt a little foolish paying extra for a window seat, when I'll probably have my Go on for 90% of the trip. Maybe I can see about getting DCS working on my Go before then.  :D
  • Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 4,131 Valuable Player
    edited June 2018
    kevinw729 said:
    snowdog said:

You are right, that is an incredibly low number on a supported consumer release - as if it was done just to be able to have the headlines "Sold Out In 3-Minutes"!

Is that based on assumptions Kevin? Though you may not think it’s a "big deal" I am just cautious of throwing round terms like "as if it was done just to be able to have the headlines "Sold Out In 3-Minutes"!" - as that seems incendiary to just be based on speculation. 

May I remind you Kevin what you said in the Pimax thread.

kevinw729 said:
    bigmike20vt said:
    ....I believe they must have known their date was impossible. It isn't a huge deal I suppose but whilst it's impossible to prove either way I would wager a lot of cash the Devs knew Jan was not possible given where they were at
    .no big deal tho so long as they deliver in the end..... But a July delivery to just backers may have had fewer people putting their coin down

Oh, I see it was based on assumptions - okay.
    Though you may not think it’s a "big deal" I am just cautious of throwing round terms like "They lied on the timeline to get more backers" - as that seems incendiary to just be based on speculation. Let’s not totally shoot the company before they have released the system - I know the KS was big and that irked some people, but let’s keep it cool.

Hehe just winding up Kevin. You have to watch what you say around these parts or else they forever haunt you.

:D 

System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
    Shadowmask72 said:

Hehe just winding up Kevin. You have to watch what you say around these parts or else they forever haunt you.

:D 

Ouch - a little passive aggressive, but if meant as a joke - ha ha. Though I noticed from my Pimax posts you missed out my "IMHO" addition - but hey you were just doing that as a wind up so that is okay... I think?  B)
    urdgfqqehbbb.png
    ** Second New Book **
    With May officially over, we can determine with relative accuracy that on Android, GO sold over 100,000 units. If we take an industry standard guess and double it for non-Android users who may also purchase GO, we can sit at 200,000 units sold in May.

From May to December is an 8-month timespan. So if GO keeps its current momentum, it can hit 1.6 million units sold by December 31.

That would hit Super Data's estimate, and sit at 400,000 units below my own prediction.

With no real competition on the market currently, it all comes down to consumer adoption and corporate advertising!

(Note that this doesn't count the Asia market which has a separate manufacturer for GO hardware and software)
    Zenbane said:
    With May officially over, we can determine with relative accuracy that on Android, GO sold over 100,000 units. If we take an industry standard guess and double it for non-Android users who may also purchase GO, we can sit at 200,000 units sold in May.

From May to December is an 8-month timespan. So if GO keeps its current momentum, it can hit 1.6 million units sold by December 31.

That would hit Super Data's estimate, and sit at 400,000 units below my own prediction.

With no real competition on the market currently, it all comes down to consumer adoption and corporate advertising!

(Note that this doesn't count the Asia market which has a separate manufacturer for GO hardware and software)
    Don't forget the GO is not yet a truly launched product, as I mentioned above, no marketing, only oculus.com for nonUS customers etc.

With wider availability and a few "killer apps" which I am sure are waiting for the global launch, we will see higher numbers.
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

• FailrunnerFailrunner Posts: 187
    Art3mis
    I wanna kill people over go sales. Put your damn dukes up now! >:(
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 5,821 Volunteer Moderator

Has the global release date been mentioned? sorry, this is a big thread & I haven't read it through!

Only I see Curry's (UK electrical retailer) has the Go listed as available 26th June.

Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v2004 (19041.330)
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 7,172 Valuable Player
    edited June 2018

The flight crew got annoyed with me as they kept wanting to get my attention to ask IF I wanted food or drink lol although they were quite curious of what it was, so I obliged one with a demo, they loved it. 

Some guy in a chat app was adamant that Oculus GO couldn't be used on a plane because it has no Flight mode. I wasn't sure if he was talking balls..
  • Hiro_Protag0nistHiro_Protag0nist Posts: 4,980 Valuable Player

Has the global release date been mentioned? sorry, this is a big thread & I haven't read it through!

Only I see Curry's (UK electrical retailer) has the Go listed as available 26th June.

The Mi is just about to be launched in China.  Will their figures be added?  I suppose it is pretty much the same product.
    RedRizla said:
    Some guy in a chat app was adamant that Oculus GO couldn't be used on a plane because it has no Flight mode. I wasn't sure if he was talking balls..

I think he may have been confusing the problem that some carriers had with mobileVR (phone based) and that at least one airline had just thrown their hands up and banned all mobileVR. That said a number of airlines experimented with offering VR to Business and First Class passengers. At present no carrier has banned OGO usage, though not at take-off or landing.
    urdgfqqehbbb.png
    ** Second New Book **
    edited June 2018
    @kevinw729 @RedRizla

It's a wifi only device and the flight I was on actually offered a wifi service so there was no issue with using it, although good point ... as far as I know, the culprit for the regulation is the actual phone radio in the regulations (not the wifi radio) .. it can transmit as much as 8W at peak while searching for a signal and can annoy air traffic control/pilots. Wifi maxes out at 100mW so there is no need to really turn it off as it won't interfere with any onboard systems.

Yeah, as I said the problem was previously with the MobileVR (phone based) systems because of the phone usage - not helped by the exploding Samsung situation. Though there still may be need for some FAA ruling for carriers to protect themselves on.
    urdgfqqehbbb.png
    ** Second New Book **
    edited June 2018

If I walk into a shop & try it, I'm likely going to walk out with it.

I really want to see how the live streams look, particularly the Beeb's World Cup streams. The 26th is too late for the group stage matches but the last 16 onwards would be fun. Assuming England get through :|

Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v2004 (19041.330)
    Of course England are gonna get through. We're gonna win the thing.

You crazy fool.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

urdgfqqehbbb.png
    ** Second New Book **
    Well thankfully you're in the minority. Football is more important than ANYTHING.

snowdog said:
    Well thankfully you're in the minority. Football is more important than ANYTHING.

I love football and basketball. It's important to get out every so often and get the joints moving and muscles flexing!

(in the sun against other ruffians)
  • Digikid1Digikid1 Posts: 2,313 Valuable Player
    kevinw729 said:

Agreed. With me I couldn’t give the smallest care about ANY sport. Sports are boring. 
    Um ...... Football ≠ Oculus GO numbers .........

Who has experience of watching a live streamed event in the Go? how has it looked? did the stream have bitrate and resolution information? or if not... just an impression of the experience would be good

I need knowledge before I find myself in Currys, contributing to sales figures.

• Hiro_Protag0nistHiro_Protag0nist Posts: 4,980 Valuable Player
    I'm worried about this DnD - i watched a few things with the Gear VR - football was one of them and i tried a few games - it wasn't good.

I too need solid info on this - i'm about to switch broadband providers so i can get 100Mbps - this world cup could be costly - we at least deserve a semi final out of it!