New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Elite Exploration

Comments

• snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,108 Valuable Player
    Cheers, I'll give that a go I reckon. B)
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • ChazmeisterChazmeister Posts: 538
    Neo
    edited February 24
    MAC_MAN86 said:

Be sure to always look on the GalMap on each half of fuel to check in advance if you can in fact reach a scoopable Star with OBAFGKM o7

The way that helps me remember that, which I saw posted  once, is as KGB FOAM.
  • MAC_MAN86MAC_MAN86 Posts: 2,262
    Wintermute
    I still far prefer Oh Be A Fine Girl Kiss Me as it's warmer and with a glint of hope and a prayer ;)
    Oooooooh!!!! 80% now, just 20% to go!!!

Bloody thing crashed earlier so I only made 90m or so, and then of course when I restarted it landed me right in the middle of three pirates lol :o :D

Good job my Python is A-Rated! B)
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

• GreymanGreyman Posts: 1,315
    Wintermute
    i've just got back from a first return trip from Sol to Sagitarius A*, in a sub 25m AspX exploration fit and managed to get over 220m for the exploration data. 

Although that's probably not as much as i might have got, i have only just returned to the game recently and, for me, it wasn't a bad return for a couple of weeks.  I also got a fair few discovered and mapped tags against astronomical bodies, including a couple of earth-like planets.   

I've just managed to unlock the guardian fsd booster, which will add over 10ly to my jump range, so maybe my next trip won't take as long, even if i might not be visiting so many systems. 

Maybe next time i'll be a little braver and not set the autopilot filter for just the fuel-scoopable KGBFOAM star systems.  
  • Digikid1Digikid1 Posts: 2,049 Valuable Player
    I am getting into this game now. Still need to work out some stuff like my “legendary” landings ( don’t ask.....but if you saw them you would die laughing) and almost ALWAYS overshooting my exiting from sipercruise
    Wintermute
    edited March 3
    What sort of hotas/joystick do you use?

Landings are way easier if you have your controls set up properly.  When the landing gear is down,  I use the hat on my tflight hotas X to thrust up and down and left and right.
  • nroskonrosko Posts: 954
    Neo
    I tried to play this yesterday thought i would finally give it a push & learn it but i found the mura really distracting, space had no depth. 
    Greyman said:
    What sort of hotas/joystick do you use?

Landings are way easier if you have your controls set up properly.  When the landing gear is down,  I use the hat on my tflight hotas X to thrust up and down and left and right.
    Touch controllers. 

I know I know. I was playing with RattyUK and as soon as I told him what I was using he said that I was gonna be in a world of pain. 

He’s right. LOL
    Get yourself a Thrustmaster T-Flight X HOTAS. They're as cheap as chips and are great. Not that many buttons but I use the 8 and 10 buttons as shift buttons and don't have a problem.

Wintermute
    +1 I also have a TM Warthog, but still prefer my HOTAS X.  I can put it in my lap and the twist grip is really useful, especially when avoiding being interdicted.  I know that I could use my rudder pedals, like I do in DCS, but this has always seemed more intuitive for ED.
  • RattyUKRattyUK Posts: 938
    3Jane
    edited March 4
    I've got to say, that despite using Touch controllers, Digi was flying much better last night than previously (but still forgetting 'brakes are your friend!')...
    snowdog said:
    Get yourself a Thrustmaster T-Flight X HOTAS. They're as cheap as chips and are great. Not that many buttons but I use the 8 and 10 buttons as shift buttons and don't have a problem.
    True!

It was good fun to jump onto my alt account (and a Krait MkII) from my main with its T10 lumbering toward the core, to have Digi winged up with his 'L' plates - thanks :)

As an aside, it was surprising to play alongside someone from  'over the pond' in a PG - it just worked!
    PC info: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, MSI MPG X570 Edge, 16GB Tforce Pro Dark DDR4 3200, KFA2 RTX 2080 Super, Samsung 870 Pro M.2, 2x 240GB SSD, 3TB WD Green HDD & 4 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, Antec Modular 750w PSU, custom watercooling loop. (Win 10 Pro & Opensuse Leap 15.1 Linux) 32" AOC 4K Monitor.

Laptop: Aorus X5 V6-CF1 (I7-6820HK, GTX 1070, 2* 256GB M.2 NVME, 1TB 7200 HDD)
  • kojackkojack Posts: 5,605 Volunteer Moderator
    Frontier has announced that the next major update for Elite will be late 2020. It will be a paid update and is apparently larger than any they've done before. That would imply bigger than Horizons, which added planetary landing.
    Of course the speculation is running wild. Atmosphere planet landings? Walk around on foot? Who knows.

3Jane
    nrosko said:
    I tried to play this yesterday thought i would finally give it a push & learn it but i found the mura really distracting, space had no depth. 
    If your graphics card has spare overhead, set headset view to 1.3/1.4 in Options/Graphics  it helps a little, also drop shadows to med/low and AA to as low as you can tolerate, performance gains to be had there.
    Does your system map lack depth too?  Usually a good indicator if everything is working as intended :)
    PC info: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, MSI MPG X570 Edge, 16GB Tforce Pro Dark DDR4 3200, KFA2 RTX 2080 Super, Samsung 870 Pro M.2, 2x 240GB SSD, 3TB WD Green HDD & 4 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, Antec Modular 750w PSU, custom watercooling loop. (Win 10 Pro & Opensuse Leap 15.1 Linux) 32" AOC 4K Monitor.

Greyman said:
    +1 I also have a TM Warthog, but still prefer my HOTAS X.  I can put it in my lap and the twist grip is really useful, especially when avoiding being interdicted.  I know that I could use my rudder pedals, like I do in DCS, but this has always seemed more intuitive for ED.

Yup, I do the same thing. Most people use the rudder control for that but I use the rudder thingy to thrust backwards and forwards. It just feels more intuitive. So I have the hat as thrusting up, down, left and right and the rudder to thrust backwards and forwards. Makes landing and moving around A LOT easier.

kojack said:
    Frontier has announced that the next major update for Elite will be late 2020. It will be a paid update and is apparently larger than any they've done before. That would imply bigger than Horizons, which added planetary landing.
    Of course the speculation is running wild. Atmosphere planet landings? Walk around on foot? Who knows.

I'm not too bothered about Space Legs but landing on planets with an atmosphere is what I'm REALLY looking forward to, I just hope we don't have to wait too long for it.

There's always the chance of getting intergalactic travel too at some point in the future, if you look at the Galaxy Map there are two more galaxies there that we can't travel to yet. This is where I reckon those pesky Thargoids are from. I reckon it's only a matter of time before we reverse engineer some of the technology that the Thargoids use, including hyperdicting and intergalactic travel (assuming that the Thargoids aren't from the Milky Way of course).

snowdog said:
    kojack said:

I'm not too bothered about Space Legs but landing on planets with an atmosphere is what I'm REALLY looking forward to, I just hope we don't have to wait too long for it.

There's always the chance of getting intergalactic travel too at some point in the future, if you look at the Galaxy Map there are two more galaxies there that we can't travel to yet. This is where I reckon those pesky Thargoids are from. I reckon it's only a matter of time before we reverse engineer some of the technology that the Thargoids use, including hyperdicting and intergalactic travel (assuming that the Thargoids aren't from the Milky Way of course).
    Oh great.....me landing with GRAVITY. That should be hilarious. LOL
    3Jane
    edited March 4
    I know it's a big ship...   but still no SRV on board - scanning Amphora plants the hard way :disappointed:
    Hovering a few metres above ground to scan...

Tonight's tubers - I really miss my SRV...  If I'd been certain to pick up a refinery at Explorers Anchorage I could have packed one!

edited March 4
    hmm.... is there another cheap split hotas?  The Thrustmaster X looks good but not sure about an all in one unit. 

Also what are L plates?
    3Jane
    edited March 5
    Digikid1 said:
    hmm.... is there another cheap split hotas?  The Thrustmaster X looks good but not sure about an all in one unit. 

Also what are L plates?
    The Thrustmaster X splits  - it arrives in the box that way.  It has about 70cm of linking cable (maybe more) built in.  It also 'feels' far better than its price!

'L' Plates are what Learner drivers have on cars in the UK :)  (when they have passed their driving test some display 'P' (new driver) plates for a while).

Sweet!  I’ll order one in then. May even grab a couple more for my store. 

Thanks for the advice @snowdog and @RattyUK
    edited March 5
    You won't regret it, it's a great stick for the price! I quite like the fact that it connects together because it makes it easy to sit on your lap whilst playing. :)

I was planning on playing it today but am waiting for a delivery of a magic cat fur picker upper thing that I ordered from a Facebook advert. I'm going to have to stop buying things from Facebook ads. Normally I'm NEVER tempted to buy anything from ads but this and my dodgy aerial were too tempting lol :D :D :D

Wow. Just had it delivered.

WORTH. EVERY. PENNY.

Bloody hell. I just hope my dodgy aerial is just as good but I have my suspicions that it's just a bog standard TV aerial. Still, you never know lol

Wintermute
    I've been unlocking all of the engineers, so that I can finish off a Krait Phantom Exploration build and that means doing some mining.  

Even though a smaller ship would probably have done the trick for a small amount of mining, I've gone for a Python, just in case mining is a more lucrative/interesting pastime.
    3Jane
    Greyman said:
    I've been unlocking all of the engineers, so that I can finish off a Krait Phantom Exploration build and that means doing some mining.  

Even though a smaller ship would probably have done the trick for a small amount of mining, I've gone for a Python, just in case mining is a more lucrative/interesting pastime.
    Core mining is very lucrative (and some spectacular explosions!) and conventional mining quite laid back and theraputic (YMMV) so both are enjoyable.  If core mining try to mount your Abrasion blaster and Seismic Charge launcher on central hardpoints (Seismic in particular) to make targeting easier.
    Personally I'd mine in a Krait MKII against the Python as there is no long nose and the visibility is far better -but that is just a preference as both ships are adept at the task.
    Have fun with the mining :)

3Jane
    Well, finally arrived at Explorers Anchorage, was interdicted twice on the way from the star by pirates as I had 12t of cargo...
    New station is odd, being unfinished, but I was able to sell my cargo and exploration data (550 million, just from Shinrarta to Sag A* - crazy!) and prepare for the CG.
    A couple of jumps (only 40Ly on the T10) before was Bio signs on a few planets - picked a moon for the job...  but did I take the red or the brown?

There was about a moons width between them - really quite nice :)

Wintermute
    edited March 6
    Do you do detailed scans of every un-mapped body, just the earth-like/water/ammonia planets or do you not bother with mapping?

If there is a station out there now, which i must have just missed, i might be tempted to take another long trip, but in my Phantom this time.
    Wintermute
    Oh, btw, i had a go at some seismic charge mining and you are right, the explosions are spectacular. 

I need to find a safer place to do it though, as i kept getting jumped by the local pirates and only avoided another spectacular explosion by a gnats gonads, as it were.   Maybe i need some combat practice more than mining.  :)