New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Elite Exploration

Comments

• RattyUKRattyUK Posts: 975
    3Jane
    From 1Km away the fireworks are better appreciated :)  I do that even in the T10, and I don't it would object much to being closer...
    PC info: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, MSI MPG X570 Edge, 16GB Tforce Pro Dark DDR4 3200, KFA2 RTX 2080 Super, Samsung 870 Pro M.2, 2x 240GB SSD, 3TB WD Green HDD & 4 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, Antec Modular 750w PSU, custom watercooling loop. (Win 10 Pro & Opensuse Leap 15.1 Linux) 32" AOC 4K Monitor.

Laptop: Aorus X5 V6-CF1 (I7-6820HK, GTX 1070, 2* 256GB M.2 NVME, 1TB 7200 HDD)
  • Digikid1Digikid1 Posts: 2,061 Valuable Player
    Heh. Learned that the hard way. Ratty was showing me that you can blow up asteroids and I thought that I was far enough away but it took down my shields and about 10% of my sidewinders health. LOL

It was awesome to see though. 

Now I have a cobra. Nice ship. 

Todays lessons with Rattyuk was interdiction. Damn he’s good at it. LOL

I gotta get one of those T6 he has.....he even let me fly his “shuttle” that it has....then I blew out his bridge windows. Oops. LOL
    3Jane
    edited March 11
    Invite the little sh*t to play with the SLF - not a good idea, the keelback shields are weak (no engineering on alt a/c) and the dual cannons on the slf minced them - had it been the hull it would have been a different story!  Was very funny though! (anyway, the stars look so much nicer witn no canopy!)
    I still managed to get a fine for  'Reckless use of guns' even in the middle of nowhere with crimes off for both of us - having explained to Digi that the local law enforcement makes Judge Dredd look like the life and soul of the party...
    PC info: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, MSI MPG X570 Edge, 16GB Tforce Pro Dark DDR4 3200, KFA2 RTX 2080 Super, Samsung 870 Pro M.2, 2x 240GB SSD, 3TB WD Green HDD & 4 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, Antec Modular 750w PSU, custom watercooling loop. (Win 10 Pro & Opensuse Leap 15.1 Linux) 32" AOC 4K Monitor.

LOL. Thought you told me to fire. Apologies for that. 

Oh I am not a little shit. I am a BIG shit. I’m 7 ft tall. LMAO!!!!!
    3Jane
    Digikid1 said:
    LOL. Thought you told me to fire. Apologies for that. 

Oh I am not a little shit. I am a BIG shit. I’m 7 ft tall. LMAO!!!!!
    It was about the funniest moment in-game I've had since losing the ship twice to the same White dwarf in the same system and the same game session!
    Today's chuckle was being terminated by the station gunner at Explorer's Anchorage when a NPC Orca tried to share the mail slot with me as I was going out of it (and he in!), even with a 14 million rebuy it was funny - the guns took out the T10 in seconds!

• JD-UKJD-UK Posts: 2,296 Valuable Player
    edited March 11
    I was wondering which bodies you guys are mapping, if any?

I'm well out in the black now, in my Python - off on an acute tangent towards the outer edge of the galaxy (viewed towards Colonia from the Bubble, heading directly left *viewed with Sag A to the right of Colonia) and I'm finding the going grindingly slow with the new FSS way of doing things. Didn't they say it would mean much quicker journeys when exploring? Bollocks is what I say.

I'm only scanning metal-rich or metal content planets, the odd interesting looking gas giant (rarely) and of course, Earth-likes. Not sure about water worlds. I suppose in reality there would be no point (unless probing the sea bed), but for the game it is probably worthwhile scanning them.

At least now if I get bored of it I can jump back to my other profile in the Bubble and do some shooting or suchlike.

3Jane
    @Brixmis  - I scan entire systems, not too onerous, and map any body that appears interesting (not only the ELW, WW, AW, Terra HMC) or has Bio signs.  The trip to Sag A* in the T10 (40Ly) was a bit slower than the Phantom but still very profitable.  Now considering if I will continue on to Beagle after the CG...
    Been having lots of fun on the alt account :)

• GreymanGreyman Posts: 1,315
    Wintermute
    I've just got 7T of the 500T Armour and Hull Engineer target to go and so far have added around 300m from the sale of the mined minerals.  Once I have the 10T of Painite, I'll be one step closer to my fully fitted Exploration Krait Phantom.

Just a few more engineers to unlock and then I'll be off to the new station, for a look round. 

• snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,153 Valuable Player
    Brixmis said:
    I was wondering which bodies you guys are mapping, if any?

I'm well out in the black now, in my Python - off on an acute tangent towards the outer edge of the galaxy (viewed towards Colonia from the Bubble, heading directly left *viewed with Sag A to the right of Colonia) and I'm finding the going grindingly slow with the new FSS way of doing things. Didn't they say it would mean much quicker journeys when exploring? Bollocks is what I say.

I'm only scanning metal-rich or metal content planets, the odd interesting looking gas giant (rarely) and of course, Earth-likes. Not sure about water worlds. I suppose in reality there would be no point (unless probing the sea bed), but for the game it is probably worthwhile scanning them.

At least now if I get bored of it I can jump back to my other profile in the Bubble and do some shooting or suchlike.

You should be mapping ENTIRE SYSTEMS, you crazy fool. You might end up missing Raxxla otherwise, there's a possibility that it could be on a planet without an atmosphere. :o
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
    I must admit that I am getting REALLY sick of tired of the random disconnects though. 
    Wintermute
    I've only had a couple of disconnects, over the past month or so, but it can be annoying.

I've just finished unlocking the important engineers and I am currently fitting out a PVE FDL so that I can get some of the necessary materials from Combat Zones, like thermic alloys.  I'll probably need to get the SRV out to Dav's Hope, to get a good stock of the other engineering parts.

3Jane
    @Greyman  -have you done the guardian unlocks yet?  My Alt has yet to wander those shores :)

Wintermute
    i've only unlocked the frame shift drive booster, although i think that was probably more by luck than judgement, and i am currently thinking about unlocking the shield reinforcement package, to add to my FDL.
  • MAC_MAN86MAC_MAN86 Posts: 2,262
    Wintermute
    edited March 23
    Presently Ranking up with Empire (3more to go for my Cutter). Evac Rescue Missions, so easy but I highly recommend you do take a Shield Gen (smallest you can fit) as the costs stack up and you can loose over 50% Hull upon heat damage plus contact with the objects. I took a Buluga and fully fitted with Economy Cabins (nobody is wanting Luxury, Business nor 1st Class to evac just outside of the Station!). I blew it up when the Spoiler got stuck! Yes I had used HS (you must use HeatSinks only 1 for each in/out) already but it that thing can get stuck easily when in a panic! It takes just a few mins to complete. I went to the system - Orang. It has 6 Empire Factions at it.

Also do this in SOLO/PRIVATE as the Open Docking Pads are always taken!
    A bit of a pisser picking up a fine for loitering in the gate. Gotta do 9 jumps to get to the nearest Interstellar I know of just to clear it and continue!
    I use a Clipper for the Navy Rank Up Mission (Courier Jobs) as it can handle the mostly Medium Landing Pads. I swap them at the 4th Station there.
    Explosions can bump your Ship severely and is also why the Buluga can be difficult.
    Remember you still need Landing Permission o7

3Jane
    On my way back to the bubble - now at Norma Expanse, took a slight diversion on a whim to look for Guardian Signs (brain trees are often near their sites) and discovered a 'new to me' type tonight.

Will return to the area when I'm not in the T10 - finding a parking bay for that bus can be fun!

Wintermute
    PLEASE - can you all report to FD BUG REPORT about the GalMap and Show Grid conflicting with inputting a Search System.
    Issue: -
    Show Grid=ON so we can see the flat Target Circle which we then use Joystick's Slider on 100% (my FC16000M) so that we can then see the CIRCLE! Whilst ON then it does not follow the Search System Name upon any clicking (enter nor click button)

Show Grid=OFF then it follows the Search System Name but in VR we don't have that Target Circle

Also in VR there is NO MOUSE IN GALMAP but this just appeared when I moved Mouse right now so could be a intermittent problem. I told my Squadron last night and they confirmed it happens at times. It now works if Grid is ON/OFF! 

Please report it anyways ;)
    Wintermute
    edited March 25
    I found the problem - it's with the FC16000m Slider...

When the Slider is in motion to move the Map OR is at the most full up/down then it prevents the Mouse Curser showing!
    Once the Slider is in a stopped position NOT fully up/down then the Curser can show up once moved.
    So if using your Slider for Y-Axis to see the Circle, set it to 90%

PLEASE DO REPORT THIS PEOPLE - AS I CAN NOT ACCESS THE ELITE FORUM.

3Jane
    MAC_MAN86 said:
    I found the problem - it's with the FC16000m Slider...

When the Slider is in motion to move the Map OR is at the most full up/down then it prevents the Mouse Curser showing!
    Once the Slider is in a stopped position NOT fully up/down then the Curser can show up once moved.
    So if using your Slider for Y-Axis to see the Circle, set it to 90%

PLEASE DO REPORT THIS PEOPLE - AS I CAN NOT ACCESS THE ELITE FORUM.

Funny - no-one can access the Frontier forum for the next couple of days while the forum software is being updated...

Wintermute
    edited March 27
    Well, I've just set off on my second trip in the direction of Sagitarius A* and will hopefully get the chance to dock up in the new "Explorers Anchorage" station.

I've finally got my fully engineered Exploration Krait Phantom completed, along with a pretty mean Fer-de-Lance, which was a bit of an irresistible distraction.

The Phantom is a really nice ship to fly, particularly when fuel-scooping, as the temperature very rarely gets above around 62%, even when the scoop is maxed out.  It only takes a few seconds to refill the tank, with no real stress.

I've also maxed out the range of my detailed surface scan probes, a 30% increase, which should make getting the scanning efficiency bonuses a lot easier.  

The journey to the new station will take as long as it takes, as i will be doing full detailed scans of more or less every body in every system that i visit, particularly the ones that have not been visited by anyone before.

Edit: oh, the Phantom has a 67LY jump range by the way, although i probably won't be jumping anywhere near that far when i get into some virgin systems.

Is there a way to tell the ship to go to a place that is more than one jump away....tell the ship to jump again automatically?  Kinda annoying to stop, realign, then jump again. 
    Wintermute
    Only hackers were found to do that so was being looked into prevent them auto-pilot trading.
  • andysonofbobandysonofbob Posts: 239
    Nexus 6
    I found out the other day that cyclopses can see stuff that we can't in the FSS:
    They get a zoom effect when zooming in, which I don't care about BUT
    they also get orbit rings around moons and stuff, which I do care about.

Folk think the latter must be a bug.
    SenseiMatty's thread on Elite's forums

And the support ticket should you add your voice.

• JD-UKJD-UK Posts: 2,296 Valuable Player
    The problem with having large jump ranges is that you miss lots of stuff. I last used a ship that I deliberately set at just under 30LY (an Imperial Clipper I think) and I was gobsmacked at all the great stuff I was finding and the amount of undiscovered systems on heavily trodden paths - such as Sag A* to Colonia. Loadsa undiscovered Neutron stars, for example.

Wintermute
    I agree and once I get to the unexplored areas, which is easier with the long jump range, I can always either reduce the range, by disabling the FSD booster and/or synthesising limpets to add weight, or more likely just jump around using the navigation screen and not the route planner.

Also, with only 0.036% of the galaxy's systems being visited so far, according to FD, it shouldn't be too hard to find virgin territory.  😀
    Wintermute
    Problems with Support Staff at FD! (taking piss!)
    FD: "I am sorry to now that you are currently experiencing some problems in-game. 
    In order for us to best understand the problem, could you please provide us with some screenshots demonstrating the issue. The more information we have the better we will be able to explain the problem to QA.
    I look forward to your response and ask that if you have any additional questions or issues, to please not hesitate to ask as we are here and always happy to help :disappointed: 

ME: "You don’t need screenshots. You surely know the issue if using VR in GalMap to try plotting routes.You know the only way to see the Target Circle is the alter the Y-Axis and up is best as then it won’t swap your X-Axis around! Now I use the Slider of the Thrustmaster 16000M and usually leave it in the Fully Up position.Sadly this must be sending out constant data as when it is either Fully Up/Down OR is moving the Slider then the Mouse Curser can not appear! Only leaving the Slider in a position other than Fully Up/Down allows the Mouse Curser to appear! So I leave it at 90% (other CMDRs also know this workaround) However, another problem is when we switch to System Map and go into the Planetary Map then the Y-Axis also moves and we can not use Select Outpost from the menu as it won’t stay on it to allow Select to work. So we now must move the Slider to 50%.So you see, even though my Workaround solves the GalMap to see the Target Circle AND also allow the Mouse Curser to appear...It now also gets in the way of using the System Map’s Planetary Map! The way it used to work was simply allowing the Mouse Curser to appear regardless of what position the Slider for Y-Axis was set at. This needs to be fixed as it once was."

FD: "I understand that you are unable to access the bug forum, which is exactly why you were asked for screenshots/ footage demonstrating the issue. Rather than you attempting to submit a report on our forums, I have offered to submit a report myself, directly to our QA team and attach the footage.
    Having access to this footage is the best way for us and them to have a better understanding of the problem, as we can then see it for ourselves. Therefore, please attach imagery in your next response.
    Additionally, in order to save us from getting back in touch with you and pestering you with further questions, I would like to ask that you provide us with a clear, bulleted outline of the issue that you are experiencing so that we can reiterate it back to QA. The clearer and more detailed the information is, the better equipped our QA team will be in order to rectify this.
    Finally, please be specific and explain to us what you mean by this sentence - " found the problem - it's with the FC16000m Slider.."
    From looking through your past tickets I have been unable to locate specifically what issue you are referring to.
    I look forward to your response."

ME: "If your DEVs can not understand what I wrote then I give up! It is simple English.No diagram is NEEDED to tell you the problem. What do you want? A pic of the GalMap? One with it tilted? One with the Mouse Showing? One with the Mouse NOT showing?This is ridiculous! The same all in the South of England...we ask for a Steak Pie and the answer is “OK you want a Chicken Pie” but no I wanted a Steak Pie. “OK you mean the Onion Bagii”. I am not even joking. This just happened to a friend of mine! Look, either pass it to QA or direct to DEVs. All I can do is tell it like it is and NO DIAGRAMS WILL HELP YOU!!!"

I GIVE UP! CAN SOMEONE PLEASE POST THIS ON FDFORUM AS I DO NOT HAVE ACCESS?
    3Jane
    Digikid1 said:
    Is there a way to tell the ship to go to a place that is more than one jump away....tell the ship to jump again automatically?  Kinda annoying to stop, realign, then jump again. 
    Nope...   Designed to allow the pirates more chance to 'first dibs' on all of your tasty stuff!

Or maybe just to use the star to refill your fuel if a fuel star.

C'mon, if you're not bothered with refuelling you can be around the star and starting the next jump within seconds of the FSD being ready, also think that each new system you jump in to is worth credits...

Wintermute
    Further requests to fix Bugs to FD emailed...
    " MULTICREW: -

Although is a bad design to allow Gunners Access at all times whilst Deployed and the only method of preventing them firing (when trolling; or not knowing how to play; or glitching connections) is to place e.g. KWS to be a higher Priority to un-power Hardpoints. Useful but awkward to manage is all.

1. BUG of Gunner Turrets continue to fire past the time they cease firing (I expect)
    2. BUG that the Gunner Turrets are delayed and glitch widely as if to tell us they do not have a Locked Target but they do!
    3. Bad connection for 2 Fighters to Deploy and when AI Fighter is used it still (as in 2.4) gets glitched with 3rd Player trying to access it. Also if I deploy AI when used in Multicrew it often crashes the game!

Far better in design to remove all obstacles of real life combinations e.g. allow Captain to use Gunner; Crew to pilot Helm; allow 2 AI Fighter Crew; etc. In a way you already included AI in Gunner as the Turret Mode! So let it all happen."

PLEASE ADD TO THE FDFORUM AS I HAVE NO ACCESS.
    Wintermute
    Have you tried the FD forum again recently, as they do appear to be back up and running and do look pretty good?

there is a message for people who are experiencing problems in accessing the forum and going through that process would certainly provide a more effective and direct way for you to communicate with FD and others.

Wintermute
    edited April 2
    No need. I was trolled by Pranking Mods with powers to give Infractions by baiting posters under the global governmental role of Political Correctness. My thread of "Freedom Of Speech in UK" was grossly baited by them to give them this new job, in which it posted Stephen Fry talking about God in Ireland to Tommy Robinson about what he talks about. Infractions ensued a ban but I did not agree and had to access the Forum to ask questions how to play areas of it (as no provisions are written), to Report Bugs, and also provide Feedback of Ideas. So I created a 2nd Account and was banned for LIFE. They track you by ISP and I do not use a VPN.
    It was highly wrong to do that to a Customer and alienize them. This sort of thing went around Social Media everywhere and has ruined the liberties of being social to many. It summed up my thread entirely...there is no freedom of speech even if you are quoting anything that it surrounds. Unless that is you form to Protest March and I have no desire to do that! I do not form any part of a group nor any beliefs. I am merely a bystander which observes much like that man who was knocked down in London by a Policeman which killed him! However, on the plus side it created Forum Mod jobs for FD!

Again I do the correct thing and email FD Support about the above issues, I get ignored as there is no PICS for them to look at. How old are they LOL? I know from their Nicknames they are not English born but come on, all they need is pass the info on! Cut the RED TAPE in their job-title and fix these.
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,153 Valuable Player
    Lmfao, are you surprised that you got a ban? Seriously? Even starting a thread like that was asking for trouble before you even thought about mixing politics and religion into it lol  :D:D:D
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever