New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Elite Exploration

Comments

• MAC_MAN86MAC_MAN86 Posts: 2,262
    Wintermute
    edited April 2
    Well it was around the time it all had started when it kicked off 3yrs ago now. In UK we have this liberty but the internet brought in these moderations to control it. News yesterday is Zuckerberg is asking governments to take more control of the web. The fact is, they already do but this is just to highlight the change in the background and open it up to even greater control.

It was after all in Off-Topic Threads: "Freedom Of Speech in UK" - which is a thing over here and so exists to be catalogued in the history of society.
  • OmegaM4NOmegaM4N Posts: 583
    Neo
    RattyUK said:
    Digikid1 said:
    Is there a way to tell the ship to go to a place that is more than one jump away....tell the ship to jump again automatically?  Kinda annoying to stop, realign, then jump again. 
    Nope...   Designed to allow the pirates more chance to 'first dibs' on all of your tasty stuff!

Or maybe just to use the star to refill your fuel if a fuel star.

C'mon, if you're not bothered with refuelling you can be around the star and starting the next jump within seconds of the FSD being ready, also think that each new system you jump in to is worth credits...
    Yeap, plus don't continue to sit with your throttle are 0 while refueling and then being hit with a interdiction, as that will drag you instantly out with no chance of evading it......i learned that costly 4.500.000  credit rebuy ship lesson the hard way. lol

• GreymanGreyman Posts: 1,315
    Wintermute
    I've just set off on a near 80k light year round trip from Explorer's Anchorage to Beagle Point and let's say, I may be some time.  

I'm a bit of a wuss, as I normally restrict my route to KGBFOAM systems, but that doesn't appear to work for this journey, so I will need to remove that restriction from my galaxy map options.  I'd also prefer to avoid neutron jet stream boosts, but might get tempted to give at least one a try, just to add a bit of excitement.
  • JD-UKJD-UK Posts: 2,289 Valuable Player
    I'm currently bored senseless with my extended tour to Colonia. Still heading 90° left of the Bubble, not yet started towards the centre, or even in the direction of Colonia. This new FSS thing gets very tedious very quickly, not to mention the detailed surface scans. Really missing the old way, though I suppose the new one is welcome for those who don't like to stray too far. I'm only scanning metallic and Earth like or water worlds, too.

I was looking at a very nice, colourful little nebula with interest, but seems it's out of range of what's covered.

Still 142x40LY jumps to the spot I've chosen on the outer edge of the galaxy. I've just started finding undiscovered systems mixed with those already discovered - so it must be a well-travelled route. Should have headed down again, instead. Oh well.

Wintermute
    edited April 8
    Finding and landing at geological sites adds a bit of variety and helps boost your supplies of the more rare materials, but I am expecting that I will probably still experience what you are describing.  

Hundreds of jumps and FSS sessions are bound to wear a bit thin, but if the worst comes to the worst, I could always self-destruct my way back to EA and then work my way back to the bubble.   🤔

One thing I will say though is that I am mightily impressed with the Krait Phantom.  The engineering was a bit of a pain, starting from scratch, but the jump-range is awesome and fuel scooping is so easy and relatively risk free.  Also, you can carry off-line items to repair your hull and modules if the need still arises.  

Edit:  oh!!, it would appear that my exploration antics have warranted a rise to the heady heights of Elite status.  I'll probably go and get lost now.  :)
  • RattyUKRattyUK Posts: 938
    3Jane
    @Greyman ; - you can refuel at a star with zero throttle and avoid interdiction - just point the rear of your ship to directly face the star, fun to do in known NPC interdiction spots - they try to get behind you.... :wink:
    PC info: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, MSI MPG X570 Edge, 16GB Tforce Pro Dark DDR4 3200, KFA2 RTX 2080 Super, Samsung 870 Pro M.2, 2x 240GB SSD, 3TB WD Green HDD & 4 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, Antec Modular 750w PSU, custom watercooling loop. (Win 10 Pro & Opensuse Leap 15.1 Linux) 32" AOC 4K Monitor.

Laptop: Aorus X5 V6-CF1 (I7-6820HK, GTX 1070, 2* 256GB M.2 NVME, 1TB 7200 HDD)
    Wintermute
    edited April 9
    Thanks, but it was my previous tendency to getting too close to the star and overheating that was the risk I was avoiding.

I don't come across too many "bad guys" out here, especially in Solo mode. 😉

I normally throttle back, whilst in FSD, so that my exit speed is around 0.20c and that gets me safely around the star and refuelled in no time.
    Neo
    ^^^Having a heat sink installed can be a life saver just in case you do get too close and end up roasting as you wait for the FSD drive to cooldown. ;)
    Wintermute
    Or fully engineering PowerPlant can reduce heat considerably to never need one whilst Usage is lowered to around 60%.
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,108 Valuable Player
    I always keep my speed in the blue when fuel scooping. As long as you keep your distance from the thing it isn't a problem.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
    Wintermute
    62% is about the highest I get to, even when sucking in the maximum 878kg/s.  

That's why I like it, as my other ships get a bit "hot under the collar" far more easily.
    Neo
    MAC_MAN86 said:
    Or fully engineering PowerPlant can reduce heat considerably to never need one whilst Usage is lowered to around 60%.
    I am still just delivering from system to system, never fired a shot, have no idea what the wing things are, not touched mining, have no idea about crafting, or any of the other stuff in this game, and i have over 100 hours in it......what can i say, i just like delivering stuff, and when want a break from all the space delivering i fire up Euro or American truck sim. lol
    Note to self: When playing Elite Dangerous MAKE SURE that you turn off your Monero mining before starting the game  :o

I was using my GPU and three out of four of my cores of my CPU to mine whilst I was playing lol

Performance wasn't too bad tbh, I was in a High RES with loads of ships and was dropping plenty of frames but it was playable and not many artifacts.

I could probably fry an egg on my CPU and GPU now though lol
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

I was wondering why the window kept on losing focus and my target lock kept on switching off too. No windows popped up though so no idea why Elite Dangerous kept on losing focus.

I'm just putting it down to my PC getting stressed out lmfao

It still lost focus a few times, not sure what's going on. :open_mouth:

I'm also very happy to say that ASW 2.0 has stopped the artifacts appearing during the first loading screen showing your ship spinning around!

I'm going to try and up some settings later and see how things go.

edited April 15
    Greyman said:
    Finding and landing at geological sites adds a bit of variety and helps boost your supplies of the more rare materials, but I am expecting that I will probably still experience what you are describing.  

Hundreds of jumps and FSS sessions are bound to wear a bit thin, but if the worst comes to the worst, I could always self-destruct my way back to EA and then work my way back to the bubble.   🤔

Unfortunately, since leaving the Bubble, I've not come across a single planet offering geological or biological locations. I've mapped every metal-content/rich planet, every Earth-like or waterworld, and a few besdies. Nix/nada/nothing.

I was beginning to think they had only included those in and close around populated areas - but maybe not. Been really disappointed, as I was low(ish) on some materials when I left and wanted to pick them up along the way by using such sites - rather than just landing and driving around like the old days (which can be very frustrating when you don't find what you were after, having spent a couple of hours in your SRV).

I self-destructed a couple of years back, when I was on my way back to the Bubble from Colonia in my first exploration ship (an AspX) - long before travel was quick and scooping took forever. Actually, that's not quite true - I was destroyed in a Neutron Star but could have just gone back to the last Colonia Highway station. Couldn't be arsed! Went back to a Sidey at 'home' :D

Didn't regret it.

Wintermute
    Just in case any Explorers get into hosting Multicrew with 2 other Players...
    You MUST start E:D with AV=OFF for the connection to sustain whilst launching a 2nd Player Fighter.
    o7
    Wintermute
    I must have been lucky on the geological sites then as doing a detailed surface scan on land able metal-rich planets has more-often-than-not resulted in a long list of them.  The sites should be listed immediately beneath the body-in-question in the navigation tab.  

I'm assuming you have Horizons and can land on planets btw.
    edited April 16
    Well yesterday evening I did a specific search for planets with geo/biological sites and detail scanned all likely, landable bodies, but still nuffink.

It all depends on my mood, I s'pose - the tedium factor, cos last night I was quite happy with the FSS and DSSing for an hour. Going to take a hell of a long time to get to Colonia this time, though, I refuse to take the direct route. If I'm going to make the 22kLY trip, then it will be the scenic route, where not many men have gone before... :)

Currently 230 jumps from my initial destination @ 50LY per jump...

I do all my exploration in open play - but have never once come across another player (except in the Colonia Highway station systems).

Wintermute
    edited April 16
    i'm about 15k ly beyond Sagitarius A*, on my way to Beagle Point,. so that might be increasing the chances of geological sites, as i have just had another splurge of them on a landable metal-rich planet.   

I'm now in a bit of a "rush" to get to Beagle Point and back to the bubble again though, ideally before the next patch drops, so didn't bother landing.

Edit:  that week-long timescale for such a long trip might be asking a little too much though  :)
    I doubt if being in that particular space increases chances of finding resources.

Sag A* was a good trip - but I've never felt like going to Beagle Point, especially once the Elite exploration was in the bag. Only reason I'm doing any now is just cos I'm basing my 2nd profile at Colonia.

JD-UK said:
    I doubt if being in that particular space increases chances of finding resources.

Sag A* was a good trip - but I've never felt like going to Beagle Point, especially once the Elite exploration was in the bag. Only reason I'm doing any now is just cos I'm basing my 2nd profile at Colonia.

How come you changed your username? It doesn't take much to confuse me these days, change it back lol  :o :D

I've been tempted to change mine to vannaluvsharv but am worried that if I do that then @vannagirl will REALLY run me over lmfao

• Digikid1Digikid1 Posts: 2,049 Valuable Player
    snowdog said:
    JD-UK said:

How come you changed your username? It doesn't take much to confuse me these days, change it back lol  :o :D

I've been tempted to change mine to vannaluvsharv but am worried that if I do that then @vannagirl will REALLY run me over lmfao
    No no no. She’ll run you over, resurrect you, then run you over again. 

Rinse and repeat. :D
    snowdog said:
    JD-UK said:

I've always been JD. Brixmis was just a gaming nickname, because there were far too many JD around. In fact, my first one was Flashheart - but again, loads of them, so I changed it to Xonerator (as in Exonerate) when I started in BF2,  but people seemed to have difficulty pronouncing it, so I looked for something appropriate to my past occupation and that no-one else had, especially on Steam, which I wasn't using prior to ArmA 3. I joined a UK milsim group and that name was very appropriate. Go and look now and you'll find loads of Brixmis on there - wasn't a single one came up when I started using it.

Anyway, I binned it because I don't do much online gaming now and I'm also getting on a bit - so I no longer give a shite if anyone uses the same name or not - it's my real initials and has been what people have called me since my first job after school - so that's what it will stay as now. I didn't know it would change it here, when I changed it in Home. Not that I care, really.

btw - finally found a planet with 44 geological sites. Problem was -it's craggy as hell, and I couldn't find anywhere to land at the first two sites and ended up buggering off in frustration!

Wintermute
    JD-UK said:

You're probably right, but either way, it is good to hear that you managed to find a planet with geological sites, even if you couldn't find a place to land that beast of a ship.  ;)

When i get back to the bubble, and that may take some time, i'll be trying to get the final 5% of my trading rank to get to Elite and then it will be the combat rank  For the latter, i'll probably be buying and fitting out a purpose-built Thargoid Scout killer, to speed the process up a little.
    edited April 17
    Chaz and I were intent on doing some Thargoid damage - but we ended up leaving it, as their behaviour is far from predictable and it's a lot of hassle for what it is. Even doing it co-op.

Even just collecting the Thargoid bits (can't remember exactly what they are called - the bits you have to scan the Thargs for) was a real pain. The only times I managed to actually get a scanner on the Thargs, they always did a runner - pretty pointless. I know some seem to do it fairly easily, maybe they aren't telling us about how long it took them to get that practised enough, but when you repeatedly do everything correctly and get frustrated by their behaviour, it's easy to suddenly lose interest :)

*edit: I think we discussed our 'adventures' earlier in this thread.

Yup, I'm going to go Thargoid hunting at some point. Personally I think we should treat the Alliance with same disdain as we do with bugs. If it wasn't for those fucking hippies the Thargoids wouldn't be a problem because they all would have been wiped out years ago.

Not sure what I'm going to do next tbh, I might kit out my Anaconda to be an Exploraconda next.

I also need to sort out my Voice Attack settings because Brian Blessed keeps on lowering my landing gear at random times lol

Wintermute
    edited April 17
    Got same issues with VA for Chaff which I must say "Chath" but even then it triggers off too easily so I changed it to "Drop Chath". Only now I say to Multicrew "Drop Ship" guess what happens next!
    Fortunately at my Elite Combat level and builds I never carry Chaff ;)