Elite Exploration - Page 20 — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Elite Exploration

Comments

• GreymanGreyman Posts: 1,309
    Wintermute
    I often get the lower panel popping up when I clear my throat, with the ASTRA pack, so I'll probably also need to increase the confidence levels and maybe tweak other settings in voice attack.  

"Neck's system" seems to work better for me than "Next system".  🤔
  • JD-UKJD-UK Posts: 2,289 Valuable Player
    Well for me, it'll be mining, once I get to the Colonia area with my 'new' profile. Still haven't done any since the 3.3 changes.

As for my Bubble profile - I've not finished going for my Elite trader yet - only one promotion to go for that, but I'm not in a hurry. I moved to a new station before I had a break - can't even remember which one now, but it'll give me the opportunity to simultaneously build my rep in the new area. I may buy my ships at Jameson for the discount, but I don't like being based there. This will be about my 5th base since the release. Hang on - think it's Gamelow, but I may be wrong. Of the various faction areas I've operated from, Alliance was best, closely followed by Empire (they are so polite) and lastly the dirty Feds, who tend to have a bit of an attitude! :p

• Digikid1Digikid1 Posts: 1,868 Valuable Player
    What’s all this talk about a voice system?
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 6,613 Valuable Player
    Voice Attack (costs 5 or 10 dollars) and HCS Voice Packs.

The Voice Packs are done by loads of awesome actors from various sci-fi shows: Tom Baker (4th Doctor Who), Brent Spiner (Data from TNG), John De Lancie (Q from TNG), Marina Sertis (Troi from TNG), the actor who played Avon in Blake's 7, the woman who played Holly in Red Dwarf and the best of the lot, Brian Blessed. I've missed a few out but those are the best ones that I remember.

Allows you to assign commands to key presses so instead of pressing the button to lower and raise your landing gear you just say, Gear Up or Gear Down and your landing gear goes up or down. It's awesome.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
    You had me at Q. 
  • MAC_MAN86MAC_MAN86 Posts: 2,197
    Wintermute
    edited April 18
    Greyman said:
    I often get the lower panel popping up when I clear my throat, with the ASTRA pack, so I'll probably also need to increase the confidence levels and maybe tweak other settings in voice attack.  

"Neck's system" seems to work better for me than "Next system".  🤔
    I use "Exit Route" for that as I too had same issue on that one.
    A good thing about VA is you can have it do a couple or more binds in one command when there is only 1 bind set in Elite to do so. e.g.
    "Select Wingman 1's Target" = Select Wingman 1 & Select Wingman's Target in Elite.
    Also all your max pips to each area via the Reset Pips firstly.
  • RattyUKRattyUK Posts: 671
    Neo
    edited April 19
    I took a 'little break' from ED Exploration for a couple of weeks to have a gander at NMS (as it goes VR in Summer, allegedly) it isn't that inspiring unless one is a fan of spreadsheet management, but that is a personal observation.
    I ventured into ED CQC a couple of nights ago, never having been in that direction, and have to say I found it hilarious fun, which from one having no interest in in-game PvP must count for something :)
    If you've not tried it, give it a go, ignore the 'crap' comments from the 'top-teir' PvP crowd :)
    PC info: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, Asus ROG Crosshair VII Hero, 16GB Tforce Pro Dark DDR4 3200, Gigabyte GTX 1080, Samsung 870 Pro M.2, 2x 240GB SSD, 3TB WD Green HDD & 4 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, Corsair Modular 750w PSU, custom watercooling loop. (Win 10 Pro & Opensuse Leap 15 Linux) 32" AOC 4K Monitor.

Laptop: Aorus X5 V6-CF1 (I7-6820HK, GTX 1070, 2* 256GB M.2 NVME, 1TB 7200 HDD 3K screen)
    Wintermute
    I'm currently waiting for the ED update to be applied, but won't be able to make much use of it, as I have still not made it to Beagle Point, let alone get back.  I still have around 15kly to go and then around 65kly to get back to the bubble, so I'm not holding my breath.  

The bank balance should be healthier by then though.  
    I just read the patch notes in the notification email and started considering my future with the game. After 5 years, I'm wondering if it's time to hang up my helmet.

JD-UK said:
    I just read the patch notes in the notification email and started considering my future with the game. After 5 years, I'm wondering if it's time to hang up my helmet.

They'll end up doing a hot fix update to knock that drag thingy on the head I think. There's too many complaints about it on their forums and on Reddit for them to leave it as it is I think.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Neo
    JD-UK said:
    The update is ok, the new Advanced Docking Computer works a treat flying out of the mail slot in a T10...
    Will reset my alt to have a look around the newbies area later, see if the threats of the PvP seal clubbers happen :smile: 
    I'm waiting to see the format of the new II (ex-CG) before shrugging and moving on.  CQC is still fun though...
    PC info: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, Asus ROG Crosshair VII Hero, 16GB Tforce Pro Dark DDR4 3200, Gigabyte GTX 1080, Samsung 870 Pro M.2, 2x 240GB SSD, 3TB WD Green HDD & 4 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, Corsair Modular 750w PSU, custom watercooling loop. (Win 10 Pro & Opensuse Leap 15 Linux) 32" AOC 4K Monitor.

Laptop: Aorus X5 V6-CF1 (I7-6820HK, GTX 1070, 2* 256GB M.2 NVME, 1TB 7200 HDD 3K screen)
    I haven't tried it out yet, might give it a go later on. I had to do a Loop Of Shame in my Dreamboat Annie last night because I wasn't concentrating lol :D

I might also trade in my Anaconda for an FDL I think. The Anaconda doesn't handle TOO badly but I'm not too good at fighting with it. I ended up with 7% hull at one point last night :blush:

A lot of people used to knock the FdL - apart from its speed, so I didn't bother with one until I'd been playing a couple of years. It was far better and more fun than I had been led to believe. It is restricted in its usefulness, but nevertheless a fun ride.

Wintermute
    edited April 23
    Anyone else on the Update?
    My Elite Updated but is a huge mess with stutter and smears even after dropping from SSx1.5 to SSx1 and verified and rebooted. Virtual Desktop won't Update and I have 4 others on my C: Drive I do not want there and can't be moved else I can't download them. I think that is the reason for not fully working correctly if not for "indexing" in the background OR laggy Servers as usual during Updates!

Besides that, I hate the new menu styles (hampered by the stutter atm) but the Silly Squishy Menu Sounds in VR are off putting. Plus the Twitchy Selections Effect in Panels is shite even with GUI Effect OFF! 
    FSS can't be bound due to conflict with Firing Weapons! (unless you perhaps had it sorted before the update) and warns constantly it can't be used in Combat Mode!
    Fighter has lost all it's Voice!
    The Graphics Quality Setting still can not be opened via a joystick to open up all details and still requires Mouse which is fast as hell and moves so horribly in VR!

"Quality Of Life" my arse!!!

Updated latest Nvidia Driver from 419 to 430 and Rebooted and no change. The connection for AWS and Elite is fucked!!!
    Tried deleting both "oaf_" and it's other folder next to it and no fix!
    Neo
    VR graphics were stuttering immediately following the patch, the server reset last night (20:00 UTC) appeared to sort out that particular issue.
    The rest of your issues I've not seen so they belong to you in this case as I had to access the graphics options last night and all were possible with the HOTAS.
    Guess it is the usual and some draw the short straw...

Wintermute
    The only odd thing I had noticed was that the fire group setting for the discovery scanner had been cleared, but that was relatively easy to restore.  

I haven't noticed any stuttering or any issues with the use of the FSS.  I do tend to fly around in Analysis mode however, as my exploration ship doesn't have any weapons.  

Could it be that the stuttering is related to the greater processing demands of stations and/or more AI activity?  I'm miles away from any of that, so this could be a cause.
    I'll have a look in a bit and see how I get on - though I am many light years out in the cosmos - I will try with both profiles, in fact, the first is still in the Bubble :)

edited April 24
    No performance issues at all, however, I am unimpressed with the imo unnecessary changes (again) to the UI  - especially the targeting panel, which has some figures which are now difficult to read (number of jumps to destination for one) in VR.

I think I've finished with this. Might come back in a year or more, might not - got plenty of other stuff to keep me occupied.

Have fun all - Brix and BZG are going QRT.

--... ...--

...-.-
    PS - be happy to join up with anyone in Valkyrie or Star Citizen, though ;)

Neo
    Now where did I leave my spare stick?

Quite a way away then...

The Michael Dorn Voice Pack is now available to buy from HCS called Legion! Brian Blessed has also added more lines to the Vasco pack too but I haven't tried it out yet. I managed to cock up the update somehow and ended up with 2 profiles so I've uninstalled everything and will start again from scratch tomorrow lol :D

Micheal Dorn played as Worf in Star Trek The Next Generation in case no one know that. Would be hilarious to hear his voice in battle

TODAY IS A GOOD DAY TO DIE!!

I AM NOT A MERRY MAN!!! :D
    Wintermute
    Well he is looking for a job as it happens http://www.treknews.net/2017/04/13/michael-dorn-star-trek-discovery/
    Wintermute
    edited April 27
    Well it's taken me just under a month to get to Beagle Point and i am now on my way back, with around 1,000 jumps still to go.   

Although I will probably make a fair bit out from the exploration data, I'm not sure that i will be in too much of a rush to take this trip again.  :)
    Wintermute
    Maybe I need to start using the neutron star boosts?
    Wintermute
    Dash is pretty useful for allowing a browser window, with Spansh loaded, to be pinned behind the pilot's seat.  That allows the waypoints on the Neutron star route to be more easily copy/pasted into the ED route planner.  

The ED route planner seems to generate fairly inefficient routes if left to its own devices, so I use Spansh to generate a far lower number of jumps.  Those savings would be largely compromised however, if I needed to take the headset off for every waypoint, so Dash is really useful.
  • OmegaM4NOmegaM4N Posts: 408
    Trinity
    RattyUK said:
    JD-UK said:
    The update is ok, the new Advanced Docking Computer works a treat flying out of the mail slot in a T10...
    Will reset my alt to have a look around the newbies area later, see if the threats of the PvP seal clubbers happen :smile: 
    I'm waiting to see the format of the new II (ex-CG) before shrugging and moving on.  CQC is still fun though...
    Ha, i dropped back into a T7 because of this, and the fact it was just too slow to evade, which was a pain because it was costing over 4 million a pop to buy it back.....but i do like the new computer, i no longer feel like a dog at the controls of a helicopter at times. lol
    Wintermute
    The Docking Computer if you enter Camera Mode can take some of your Hotas as a constant send signal and the Auto Dock is cancelled. Be aware of this. It seems to be mainly your Throttle so throttle down or use another bind as I do for zero stop once in Camera. Also any movement of your joystick will disengage it also but you can use switches to change views etc.
    Neo
    edited May 2
    I took my (then tanked up) T10 into an AX CZ all loaded up with cannons (Ax & Normal) and had tremendous fun, moved my rank from 60% Novice to 2% Expert.  All was fine until a double swam of Thargs appeared (a bug I gather) and ganged up on me once the NPC's had been dispatched.  But what's a 36 Million rebuy anyway?  That's the only issue with bug-hunting, the payouts, if you are not a commited cyclops killer, are trash compared to rebuy :)

• OmegaM4NOmegaM4N Posts: 408
    Trinity
    Is it just me or has is this game running terrible of late, thing has been running like a dream for the last few months but is now chugging along somewhat?
    Wintermute
    You need Graphics Quality>FX QUALITY=OFF as that adds huge stutter. It could be a setting for 20series cards for Ray Tracing likely. It is said to be a fix soon.