Elite Exploration - Page 3 — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Elite Exploration

Comments

• JD-UKJD-UK Posts: 2,289 Valuable Player
    Back out into deep space now - feel at home out here, somehow :)

I left the Clipper at Colonia - switched what would fit into the Krait and fitted the best I could find before setting off. I'll be heading back to the Bubble, but as ever, will be taking the scenic route.

The Krait II is actually very similar to the Clipper as far as exploring goes - just a little lower top speed. Jump range is very similar.

Coriolis

Weird thing is that the Galaxy map is not allowing me to plot any routes except locally. Even relatively short routes are coming up red - so I'm having to do it all manually via the map. Oh well - means it will be even less direct, wherever I go, and I'm already scanning undiscovered systems, so no worries.

edited August 2018
    Well if ever there was an example of taking the option to carry a surface detail scanner, this is it.

I just did two legs of the journey back to the Bubble, with stops at planetary ports at the end of each one.

During the first leg, I scanned the surface of every 'interesting' body I came across - unless it was over 100kly away (furthest I travelled was about 64kly for only my second earth-like world in over 60,000LY of exploring on this trip). I even scanned planets that were worth very little in money, just because they were in range of my scanner - and every little helps, as they say. Only undiscovered systems were detail scanned - so a 50% bonus was earned on every scan.

Total for sale of Cartography at the port, after just over 3,000LY was 26,482,150 cr. That's basically 26½ million.

I then travelled the second leg - also just over 3,000LY, but this time I jumped and honked for 90% of the time - although I did detail scan a couple of systems I was unable to resist. Total earned at the next starport: 3,920,313cr. So round it to 4 million, say.

That's 22½ million credits more on the first leg, thanks to the surface detail scanner and taking the time, too, of course.

This where the difference really is - it took me 6 days to cover the first leg. The second one took 3 hours.

If you are happy to take your time, you can earn a hell of a lot with cartography and detail scanning. However, if you are in a rush, honking is not to be dismissed - it'll give you a nice little bonus.
    If you are having a fresh start in Elite: Dangerous, for whatever reason, you could do a lot worse than buy yourself an advanced system scanner (about 1.5 million cr) and a detailed Surface Scanner (less than 500k) and fly around the outside edge of the Bubble, scanning all you come across. You can even earn a decent income scanning inside the Bubble, and if you combine it with Data transfer missions, you'll get more reward and promotions to go with it.

PS - Allow me to introduce my new ship's pilot - Brixette:

• ChazmeisterChazmeister Posts: 535
    Neo
    Brixmis said:
    (furthest I travelled was about 64kly for only my second earth-like world in over 60,000LY of exploring on this trip). 

If you are happy to take your time, you can earn a hell of a lot with cartography and detail scanning. However, if you are in a rush, honking is not to be dismissed - it'll give you a nice little bonus.
    If you are having a fresh start in Elite: Dangerous, for whatever reason, you could do a lot worse than buy yourself an advanced system scanner (about 1.5 million cr) and a detailed Surface Scanner (less than 500k) and fly around the outside edge of the Bubble, scanning all you come across. You can even earn a decent income scanning inside the Bubble, and if you combine it with Data transfer missions, you'll get more reward and promotions to go with it.

You're going to hate me, but I've only ever been out on 2 proper exploration runs and I've only ever bothered to go about 5,000ly out each time, and in those 2 runs I've found 5 unexplored earth-likes. The last 2 I literally found one after the other. Jumped to a system found and earth-like, scanned the system and jumped to the next one and found another. I don't filter out star classes for my route or anything like that either, just down to pure luck. Not seen a neutron star yet, but then I've not been that close to the galactic center where a lot of them seem to be. I've tended to make my way along one of the spiral arms.

The last time out, I tried to go right down and off at an angle and yet it still took me nearly 2,000 or more ly to start hitting proper virgin territory for unexplored systems. Yet on the way back taking a slightly different tack, but not too far off my outgoing route, I was able to get with nearly 500ly of the bubble before I started hitting explored systems again.

Even when coming across systems that have already been passed by some else, it's always worth checking out to see what they've missed scanning in the system instead of just moving straight on. Many folks just honk and then scan the main star whilst scooping and just move on and don't even seem to bother checking their system map. Others only scan what's with in a few seconds reach of the main star, and some cherry pick but do a terrible job of it. I've had binary water worlds left unscanned when they've gone out of their way to scan far less worthwhile planets further out. I've come across lots of unscanned water worlds actually when other stuff has been scanned. Probably because just at a glance on the system map some of them look very similar to ice planets if they've got a thick atmosphere. The best way to check what an unexplored planet might be is to hover the pointer over it in the system map and listen to the sound effect, as each planet type has a different one. Water worlds sound like bubbling liquid, earth-likes have a sort of ambient jungle sound with tweeting birds, ice planets sound cold and icy, high metal content planets have a sort of metallic electric buzz about them etc etc. You can of course also identify them by the image in the hud when they are selected, but I find the sound effect method in the system map quicker. To be honest though unless stuff is way way out, I tend to just scan everything anyway. Unless it is just yet another brown dwarf with a bunch of ice planets. Then I'll just scan the star and move on.

And yes, scanning and exploring in the bubble is still really worthwhile doing, and probably accounts for most of my exploration. There's lots and lots of earth like planets and other high value planets in the bubble that you'll find "unexplored" to you. But, just because it's already been scanned someone else, all it means is that you don't get the first discovery bonus and your name on it. So the payouts are still good. Also the more systems you have mapped out in the bubble, means it's going to be easier for you to find stuff or at the very least be able to see what's in that system. Definitely agree with combining mission running and in bubble exploration. Also another thing I do if I'm not equipped with a DSS, is bookmark systems that look worthy of coming back to scan, and then when I fancy a change of pace I take out and explorer and mop some of them up. The great thing about doing it in the bubble is that once you get bored of that, you're never that far from your home base. Do pop in and check out the odd station or two as well, as it's the only way to get commodity market data. I wish they'd just let us scan a nav beacon to get the data for all the stations in a system, but I guess that would go against FD's philosophy of trying to turn everything into a time sink and a grind. I'm really hoping the Q4 exploration update takes away some of the pain and rng when it comes to finding some of the materials.
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 6,746 Valuable Player
    What the FUCK have Frontier done to Elite Dangerous these last 2 months?!!?!?

I fired it up for the first time in 2 months and the HUD has either gone slightly transparent or they've made it a different colour.

When docked the Station Services HUD is the right colour, nice bright orange, but any of the ship's screens look washed out.

Anyone else noticed this and is there a fix? It looks fucking awful :o :(
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
    Neo
    Can't say I have. There is a brightness adjuster for it in your ship's systems panel (right hand side) under the functions tab. See if that helps.

If not, you can also try Dr. Kaii's Ed Profiler that lets you change the colours of your HUD, includes a load of presets as well as letting you fiddle about. http://www.drkaii.com/tools/edprofiler/
    edited August 2018
    Yeah - I have tried all kinds of different colours but always ended up going back to the standard orange - which I don't really like, but at least I can instantly recognise things on the sensor screen.

Recently I had another play and finally found a colour that agrees with me. It's actually not far off the default colour, but a bit flatter. I really like it now. I also keep the brightness quite low - never more than half the setting in the UI.

As for the earth-like worlds, I was just unlucky, really. I found loads of undiscovered neutron stars - starting from about level with Colonia, but in the direction of Sag A* from the Bubble. Also lots of water worlds - which are worth around 330k or 490k if undiscovered. I decided for my current trip back to the Bubble to just go between the Colonia Highway stations. I've found that your jump range can be a major decider in whether you come across undiscovered systems or not. So far there have been literally dozens - and this is about the most travelled route in the Galaxy outisde the Bubble - which just shows there is still plenty to claim yet.

This is my HUD colour:

As you can see, it's not far off the default, but enough to make a difference.

This is the code:

<GraphicsConfig>
        <GUIColour>
            <Default>
                <LocalisationName>Standard</LocalisationName>
                    <MatrixRed> 0.67, 0.17, 0 </MatrixRed>
                    <MatrixGreen> 0, 1, 0 </MatrixGreen>
                    <MatrixBlue> 0, 0, 1 </MatrixBlue>
            </Default>
        </GUIColour>
    </GraphicsConfig>

Entered at:

C:\Users\*me*\AppData\Local\Frontier Developments\Elite Dangerous\Options\Graphics\GraphicsConfigurationOverride.xml

Oh - for some reason I falsely believed that Gas giants with water or ammonia-based life were worth a lot (think a friendly explorer told me that when we were out together) - so I made them a priority. Turns out they aren't worth much at all - a couple of thousand! Oh well...

edited August 2018
    'Scuse the double post - thought I would add some useful links for explorers and potential explorers out there:

Neutron Plotter:

https://www.spansh.co.uk/plotter/

Star Map

https://www.edsm.net/

Route Planner (same site as above)

https://www.edsm.net/en/map/planner

Neutron Super Highway Routes

https://www.exowing.com/hurt-highway.html

Fuel Rats - for that important lifeline when you run out of juice far, far away from home...

https://fuelrats.com/

Coriolis - design your optimum ship:

https://coriolis.io/

...and a good companion to that...
    Ship Engineering Guide (might be a tad out of date - but same principles apply)

https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/6ht307/a_beginners_guide_to_engineering_your_ship/

Fuel scooping guide:

https://lavewiki.com/fuel-scoop

If you do get out to Colonia, you'll definitely want to use this excellent site -
    Colonia System Database:

https://cdb.sotl.org.uk/

There are quite a few guides to exploration around the 'net - these three I have found quite useful:

https://www.alpha-orbital.com/news/the-ultimate-guide-to-elite-dangerous-exploration

http://remlok-industries.fr/1245/the-complete-explorer-guide/?lang=en

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/81653-Nutter’s-explorers-guide-to-the-Galaxy

That last one is a bit old now, but updates have been made and the thread includes further info - there was also a good one at Reddit, but I can't find it now - Google is your friend :)

Please add your own useful links.

Neo
    I'm really just waiting for the Q4 updates before going out again. That's what's really going to change exploration up ag gear, and whole bunch of other stuff besides. Finally it'll be an end to the awful POI system, and possibly the USS's for something more deterministic. Something tells me we'll be lucky to actually see the Q4 updates in Q4 though, given that we've heard almost zip about the Q3 updates. Would be amazed if the Q4 appeared this year.
    I've seen a few doubts expressed about that upcoming update. Whether it is actually going to benefit explorers as much as anticipated.

The way I generally go about detail scanning depends on what I'm doing. If I'm on an exploration trip, then I tend to scan just about everything - especially when it is as yet undiscovered (as most systems are in the areas I travel).
    If, as now, I am merely travelling between two distant systems, I tend to jump and honk, and only scan interesting or profitable looking bodies.

That's what I'm doin right now - on my way back to the Bubble - so I was completely gobsmacked to see that my earnings for scanning in the trip between highway stations Gagarins Gate and Eagles Landing (about 1,800LY or 178 jumps for me) netted at 21.8 million credits! :o

Considering my goal was to reach 400 million before arriving home, this is awesome news for me, with my balance now showing402.9 million and still some way to go. I'm trying to get enough to be able to fully mod and engineer an Imperial Cutter when I get back. I'm thinking I will have enough :)

Just underlines what I was saying about scanning stuff whenever you can. It might be a little tedious, but it's profitable and (relatively-)safe.

I just hope I like the Cutter - I haven't liked any of the other large vessels.

• RattyUKRattyUK Posts: 731
    3Jane
    @Brixmis ; - I am (relatively) new to ED  and yet to play it in VR continually as I'm still trying to find a way to have the Galaxy map navigable in VR - I'll get there eventually... - but still have to quest for Engineer materials along the way.

I jump out from my Home system around 500 Ly - in my trusty Type 6 - in a random direction away from the bubble and scan everything I find marked 'Unexplored', it takes a while but has been handy for high metal landable bodies and some amazing bits of scenery.

What surprises me most is that even in the bubble region I have discovered a couple of systems first!  I'd imagined the area to have been well explored before I got my hands dirty...

I've come back to base a couple of times with 3 million plus in Cartographic bonus, brilliant, particularly as the Type 6 maintenance is dirt cheap too.

Agreeing with you completely, scan everything :)
    PC info: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, Asus ROG Crosshair VII Hero, 16GB Tforce Pro Dark DDR4 3200, Gigabyte GTX 1080, Samsung 870 Pro M.2, 2x 240GB SSD, 3TB WD Green HDD & 4 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, Corsair Modular 750w PSU, custom watercooling loop. (Win 10 Pro & Opensuse Leap 15 Linux) 32" AOC 4K Monitor.

Laptop: Aorus X5 V6-CF1 (I7-6820HK, GTX 1070, 2* 256GB M.2 NVME, 1TB 7200 HDD 3K screen)
    3Jane
    edited August 2018
    A little time spent in re-mapping my Hotas and now I can navigate the galaxy map properly, my own fault in the original way I set things up!

Just spent a couple of happy hours flying around in various ships and appreciating the difference VR makes - a Krait MkII is big!  Also did a little exploration culminating in a planetaty landing and a jaunt out in the Scarab - chuckling away as it was the first time planetside in VR - I won't mention the total mess I made in leaving the station in VR - everything about the ship seems bigger and the letterbox so small :p

X52 should arrive tomorrow so fresh learning curve ahead.

Pretty view from earlier:

PC info: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, Asus ROG Crosshair VII Hero, 16GB Tforce Pro Dark DDR4 3200, Gigabyte GTX 1080, Samsung 870 Pro M.2, 2x 240GB SSD, 3TB WD Green HDD & 4 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, Corsair Modular 750w PSU, custom watercooling loop. (Win 10 Pro & Opensuse Leap 15 Linux) 32" AOC 4K Monitor.

Laptop: Aorus X5 V6-CF1 (I7-6820HK, GTX 1070, 2* 256GB M.2 NVME, 1TB 7200 HDD 3K screen)
    edited August 2018
    Yeah, the Krait II is now my do-it-all ship (used to be the Python) but it has poor armour and shields. It's not the ship to get into any heavy combat with. I made a thread about using the Krait for exploring over on the FD forum and was amazed at how many people posted about it, with their own builds linked. It's even better than I thought, and will doubtless be the ship I do all future exploring with, too.

Unlike that durned Federal Dropship. Bought one for the Ram Tah mission yesterday and ended up taking it back for a 'refund'! What a useless piece of junk. I had tested one before, but years ago, when I was still a sprog. I thought I'd give it a second chance, with some top modules and engineering etc, but no - that just made it an expensive piece of junk!

I'm now continuing Ram Tah in my AspX (Chaz is doing it in his Viper - so doff of the cap to him). I had started in my DBX - but got blown to shreds by some poncy pirate in a Clipper who turned up out of nowhere.

Be warned - if you do the Ram Tah missions, once you have the artefacts on board you are a target for every scumbag in the Bubble. Chaz got 3 attempted interdictions within minutes yesterday (we blew two of 'em to shreds though :D  ). So it's worth packing some serious heat when you set off. Either that or decent thrusters to get you out of dodge.

I forgot to mention @RattyUK - I had exactly the same issues and frustrations as you with that durned galaxy map in VR, but same as yourself, it seems, I spent some time playing around with the assignments and using all the axes and analogue bits on my controllers until I got a decent set-up. I'm reasonably happy now, but when using the cursor for route planning I have to turn the map flat, one way or the other (top or bottom-down, so it looks flat). Then I can move the cursor with two dials on my throttle, and use a mini-stick for zooming and the twist stick for slewing. I use the same two dials for the system map, too, and that works well enough.

• MAC_MAN86MAC_MAN86 Posts: 2,262
    Wintermute
    edited September 2018
    DEVS need to go back to Gameplay design school. It is highly shocking seriously we can suggest far greater quality of life ideas than the 10yr than they employ!
    Take Gunner Role for example...it really is designed for a kid! No use for any Captain and most kick Gunners!!! It should have been a proper turret position. At least make a SWITCH TO ENABLE GUNNER ROLE. Also allow Captain to use GUNNER himself as it is very useful when docking the fighters!!!! How hard is this to not see?

Neo
    The new exploration changes have been revealed today. https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/447043-Chapter-Four-Exploration-Reveal

All looks pretty good. No more honk and scoop. There's actual gameplay there now to find the planets in a system. USS's will generate when you jump into a system and will be discoverable in the same way as the planets, although they will still have a time limit and there will still be the odd random ones too, but overall it should make finding the relevant USS's for materials gathering much less of a right pain in the backside now.

Overall I'm pretty excited about this one. Obviously there'll be more than just the exploration changes in the Q4 update. Looking forward to seeing what else the update has to offer. Well there is the mining changes as well of course, but there'll be more besides.

Here's Obsidian Ant's take.

I worked something out yesterday. And it may shock some of you:

FRONTIER ARE IN LEAGUE WITH THE FUCKING THARGOIDS!!!

Think about it. I bought myself an Asp Explorer to do some exploring out in the void outside the Bubble. Then I heard about the Exploration update and decided to postpone my trip into the void until that update hits.

How many people are going to do the same thing? Leaving the Bubble short of ships to defend it.

I'm onto you Mr Braben. I'm not going ANYWHERE.

Just bought myself a Challenger after trading in my Asp Explorer and might give the Chieftain a test drive later too.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

3Jane
    edited September 2018
    @snowdog ; - the Thargoids are our friends and should be welcomed with open arms....   (I'd have to say that as my combat skills are worse than naff!)

I've recently bought my first DBX as I read that they run cooler than pretty much anything else, apart from being an ugly little ship (which they really are) as an explorer not bad at all and dirt cheap to maintain.  I still prefer my T6 as explorer (got my Elite explorer rank using it) but the DBX is certainly cooler when scooping!

Just did the first of the Ram Tah missions and am back in the bubble kissing Imperial butt as I need to gain some rank with them, as a die-hard Federation supporter it is proving hard work...

RattyUK said:
    @snowdog ; - the Thargoids are our friends and should be welcomed with open arms....   (I'd have to say that as my combat skills are worse than naff!)

I've recently bought my first DBX as I read that they run cooler than pretty much anything else, apart from being an ugly little ship (which they really are) as an explorer not bad at all and dirt cheap to maintain.  I still prefer my T6 as explorer (got my Elite explorer rank using it) but the DBX is certainly cooler when scooping!

Just did the first of the Ram Tah missions and am back in the bubble kissing Imperial butt as I need to gain some rank with them, as a die-hard Federation supporter it is proving hard work...

Fucking hippy!!!

The only good bug is a dead bug!!! :o :o :o

Thargoids drew first blood in 1984, we should have finished the bastards off when we had the chance with the Mychoid virus.

I think I'm going to stick with my Challenger for now, get it loaded up with AX weapons when I have the cash to spare. Only got 8m credits or so at the moment so time for a bit of bounty hunting to get some quick cash. I quite like the ship but don't think much of the sound of the engine, needs a bit more oomph to the sound I think. Sounds a bit wimpy.

• MAC_MAN86MAC_MAN86 Posts: 2,262
    Wintermute
    The Hauler is what you'll need if you simply need to do the 5000lys to unlock Palin. Strip it down and engineer the FSD etc. and you'll get 50 to 60 jump range. Seriously it will take over 120 jumps. I scanned all systems there and back and it only amounted to 1.8m cr. I seriously advise anyone to simply Self Destruct and get back to making money how you enjoy. Although this depends on your Rank for either Combat payouts (~5m per hour high rank or much much less is lower!) but Trading is worth more (especially Meta Alloys at 30m for just 1 jump!).
    3Jane
    MAC_MAN86 said:
    The Hauler is what you'll need if you simply need to do the 5000lys to unlock Palin. Strip it down and engineer the FSD etc. and you'll get 50 to 60 jump range. Seriously it will take over 120 jumps. I scanned all systems there and back and it only amounted to 1.8m cr. I seriously advise anyone to simply Self Destruct and get back to making money how you enjoy. Although this depends on your Rank for either Combat payouts (~5m per hour high rank or much much less is lower!) but Trading is worth more (especially Meta Alloys at 30m for just 1 jump!).
    I've not tried the hauler yet, I'll give it a go - thanks for the suggestion B)

snowdog said:
    RattyUK said:

Fucking hippy!!!

The only good bug is a dead bug!!! :o :o :o

Thargoids drew first blood in 1984, we should have finished the bastards off when we had the chance with the Mychoid virus.

I really would like to be in the thick of it giving the bugs something to regret about meeting me, but have a long way to go before I could face them without almost instant rebuy... 

Yup, I'm probably going to get my arse kicked myself lol, am going to wait until I can afford to buy an Anaconda before I go bug hunting I think.

I might have to go and do these Ram Tah missions too I think when I get bored of bounty hunting. I thought you had to do those missions before you could buy AX weapons but I found a station that sold them and as far as I could see there was no restrictions on them so I must have got confused somewhere.

The key to doing well in combat is getting used to controlling your ship with Flight Assist off. If you turn Flight Assist off and press the Thrust button you can turn REALLY quickly which can get you the upper hand in positioning your ship for a kill. Low RESs are great places to practice this without getting into an actual combat situation.

3Jane
    edited September 2018
    @snowdog ; - Jameson Memorial sells everything, including the experimentals (Ax weapons, scanners etc) as well as giving you a 10% discount...  (assumes you have made elite in at least 1 of the categories)

I tried the anaconda, flew it out of the station, did a few jumps and a fly around, went back to the station and sold it back, handling was only slightly better than the T9 (although it could bristle with guns and stuff) which explains why I could take out a couple of anacondas in a RES in just a vulture without a shot being fired at me...  granted they were NPC's not human, but to each their own I guess.

Now have allied with the Empire and working my way up to Baron and the Cutter I think :)

What I really would like is for FD to add a 'dedicated' explorer ship to go with the alleged 'new' exploration methods that are supposed to be coming out real soon, something lightweight with lots of small / medium slots for the essential kit an explorer needs, we don't need loads of hardpoints etc as the 'pew-pew' can be left to the combat crews...

I'm going to get an Annie because it's THE iconic ship for the game. And it's a hit sponge too. I was also thinking about an FDL too but there's just something about Annies that says Elite.

Jameson Memorial is not an option for me because I haven't got Elite status on anything yet. I would have triple Elite status by now but I started a new Commander when I started to play in VR and then restarted with ANOTHER new Commander after that for some reason, can't remember why now though.

3Jane
    I had the FDL in the original elite all those years ago...   Is one I may get again just for historic reasons :)

Understand your comment about new commander, I restarted mine after the first month through mis-management and went broke trying to fight back against NPC's...  It was easier to restart then as I hadn't really got anywhere.

Hope you get your Anaconda soon, and enjoy it :)

Yup, I originally started a new Commander for the start of my VR play through because I wanted to experience everything right from the beginning in VR.

Everyone should restart Elite Dangerous from the beginning every now and then, it builds character lol :D

I'm going to continue with my bounty hunting later on, I'm really enjoying the Challenger. It can really take plenty of punishment so far, something that's important to me cos I'm a bit pants at combat lololol

Neo
    Trust me when I say the Anaconda is a lot more maneuverable than the T9, speaking as an owner of both, especially if you engineer the thrusters a bit. Love my Anaconda to bits. The thing feels like a proper destroyer/tanker/cargo ship, which ever mood you're in. Handles surprisingly well for a big ship and can take on pretty much any role you throw at it in a pinch. About the only drawback I can think of is that it can't land at outposts.
    Oh bugger. I was trying my very best not to get hyped up too much for the Q4 Beyond update. And then I saw this on Reddit:

https://old.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/9jvmpy/community_guest_fdev_visit_33_impressions/

I have now bought myself a ticket for the Hype Beluga Liner (formerly the Hype Train back in the 21st Century) lol :D :D :D

3Jane
    @Chazmeister ; - It was a slight exaggeration about the T9 >:)

I bought the Anaconda again and took it out for about 250LY (only G5 engineering on FSD), brought it back to Jameson and sold it again  - for me at least it is a ship I cannot get enthusiastic about, I had wondered if I'd been too harsh first time around but just couldn't get to like anything about it (I think batting some USS mats off into the distance with the super-long nose of the ship was my most fun moment) but that is just me!

I know many folk love the ship, that's obvious, so I don't mind being the 'odd one out' in this case.

I agree - I don't like it either. Feels like a dredger. I did exactly the same - bought it (but I did a little modding straight away) took it for a ride, sold it.

As for a good explorer with plenty of room - the two I used, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend. The Imperial Clipper and the new Krait II. The Clipper is slightly better - but just by a nose. The Krait is more fun and has a slightly better view.

Clipper for a limousine-type experrience (especially with a 6A fuel scoop) and the Krait for a more freestyle approach. Both need a grade 5 FSD from Flic. Despite the +/- 40LY jump range, which some would say was 'short', it doesn't matter because of the huge fuel scoop. In seconds you are full up and ready to go again.

This isn't how everyone does it, but was perfect for me...

Clipper Explorer

I swapped all that into the Krait for similar performance.

Someone bought a Challenger and thinking of a Chieftain? I bought the Chieftain on release and was well impressed. It was the first ship I dared to take on multiple enemies with, on my own. And what's more, I won against an AI wing (I'm not brilliant at combat - far from it). I had modded it, of course, so this isn't the default fitting.
    I tried the Challenger when it was released, but I actually prefer the Chieftain. Can't remember why, unfortunately, but I would deffo recommend at least testing the Chieftain to compare the two.