Elite Exploration - Page 4 — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Elite Exploration

Comments

• RattyUKRattyUK Posts: 739
    3Jane
    @Brixmis ; - like the Clipper build, oddly enough on my list once I get the willpower to wander back into Imperial space again.  I'd looked at it and thought 'explorer?'...

Krait I love to bits as jack-of-all-trades (mine's named JOAT :smile:  ) and was doing the latest CG supply run (in open, until it was blown out of the sky by some heavily combat built human controlled ship) with it today.  (went back to solo and bought out the T9 and shifted a few loads, got the rebuy and extras before I got bored)

Liking of the Krait is only exceeded by T6 - that is an amazing little explorer (as if the DBX) and I really like the cockpit view...
    PC info: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, Asus ROG Crosshair VII Hero, 16GB Tforce Pro Dark DDR4 3200, Gigabyte GTX 1080, Samsung 870 Pro M.2, 2x 240GB SSD, 3TB WD Green HDD & 4 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, Corsair Modular 750w PSU, custom watercooling loop. (Win 10 Pro & Opensuse Leap 15 Linux) 32" AOC 4K Monitor.

Laptop: Aorus X5 V6-CF1 (I7-6820HK, GTX 1070, 2* 256GB M.2 NVME, 1TB 7200 HDD 3K screen)
  • JD-UKJD-UK Posts: 2,289 Valuable Player
    Yeah, I've not really tested the Krait in combat as yet - had a couple of minor scrapes, but my SLF did most of the fighting (as she should! She takes a chunk of my profits) but @Chazmeister has done some combat in one and said he's not impressed with the armour and shields. No wonder you didn't last long in it. For all other jobs, I think it's great.

Last night Chaz and I did another couple of rounds of a Guardian structure for module blueprints:

The mist closed in later, so a good screenie wasn't possible - but this is Chaz, collecting his blueprint:

We then moved on to our first encounter with a Guardian Beacon - so we had to try and work out how to do the job. It's pretty simple once you're been through it - but you need to have hardpoints deployed before it will let you data scan the beacon. Getting a bit too close whilst trying to work it out, I lost my shields and 10% hull immediately, as I was pushed away from the core. So don't get too close (you will 'feel' it pushing you away). We got a vessel blueprint key each before calling it a night...

All good fun :)

3Jane
    I think without some serious engineering the Krait doesn't eally cut it in combat, I've read on the Frontier forum of others who have a battle-ready Krait so it must be possible.

Your Guardian site shots are great!  I discovered a beacon when doing the artifacts mission and visited it in the DBX (it has a couple of pea-shooters still) did the shooty thing and went off to the planet the key pointed to.  Was having loads of fun until one of the skimmer things pushed my SRV upside down into a crack and it got stuck!  As the DBX only carries one I had to suicide and go away.

Will go back again in the T6 or Krait and do it again, will have at least two SRV's then.  Have to do some more mats hunting first as no Arsenic left!
    PC info: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, Asus ROG Crosshair VII Hero, 16GB Tforce Pro Dark DDR4 3200, Gigabyte GTX 1080, Samsung 870 Pro M.2, 2x 240GB SSD, 3TB WD Green HDD & 4 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, Corsair Modular 750w PSU, custom watercooling loop. (Win 10 Pro & Opensuse Leap 15 Linux) 32" AOC 4K Monitor.

Laptop: Aorus X5 V6-CF1 (I7-6820HK, GTX 1070, 2* 256GB M.2 NVME, 1TB 7200 HDD 3K screen)
    Ah, that's a shame with the SRV - fully understand how it can happen, though. I've got into trouble myself a couple of times when I've got stuck on some part of the ruins after being bowled over by a Sentinel. I only lost max 50% of my integrity, though, and was able to use the boosters in all situations except one, where I think Chaz came and gave me a nudge in his SRV to get me going again. Winging-up definitely has its advantages!

We did the first Ram Tah mission in a couple of weeks (with the 101 obelisk scans) and then I did it again in around 3½ days, but after going through the trouble to get an anti-corrosive 16t cargo rack each (via the Barnacle sites), we ended up giving up on the second Ram Tah mission, because it was such a pain, trying to get the Thargoid tissue samples.

When I used meta-alloys as bait, to keep the Tharg in the area while sampling, I ended up getting fragged in seconds, and if I didn't use bait everything went great until the Tharg would jump out. This happened to me 3 times (I have a vid of those attempts, but didn't record any sound, so didn't upload it). It's really frustrating in those cases - so we decided not to bother with Ram Tah 2 and went to the Guardian Structures to get the necessary materials and data to unlock the Guardian weapons instead.

All this, just because we want to go Thargoid fragging!

• ChazmeisterChazmeister Posts: 535
    Neo
    The Krait, I haven't tried an engineered build in combat, just your everyday A rated one with light alloys. Combat wise I found it to be OK, but you had to be careful and pick your fights. Obviously it has the same fire power as the Python (not including an SLF), so it packs a good punch, but it really lacks the Python's staying power for heavyweight fights, as it just can't take a hard pummelling like the Python can. Whilst it has better speed and maneuverability than the Python, I didn't find it to be enough to be able to keep it out of harm's way. I have chucked some better armour on it now and some hull reinforcement and changed my weapon load out a little bit, plus a bit of engineering, but haven't yet been able to put it to the test since doing all that as we've been too busy doing the whole Guardians thing.

Still haven't decided what I'm going to use as an anti Tharg ship. I'm kind of thinking of trying the Crusader, as it has an SLF bay, or there's always my FAS and Chieftain. The latter of which is bare bones right now. I usually swap my modules between my FAS and Chieftain as their outfitting is almost identical. In fact in terms of performance and capability they are pretty much on par and there's not a lot to choose between them. I like them both quite a lot, as they're both good fun to fly. 
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 6,758 Valuable Player
    I'm really liking my Chieftan so far, it's basically a hit sponge lol :D :D :D

I do my Elite combat the same way I do my D&D and Skyrim combat. Defence is for wimps, magic (and Engineering) is for wimps. I'd rather trade blows and bugger the consequences lmfao :o :D
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever

Here's a very informative video I watched t'other day about armour and getting through it.

I like this one, too - Krait v Thargs....

Not wanting to post video after video in this thread - but I watched this one this morning and found it of interest.

It's a bit old, but still relevant and should be useful for those looking for something to do in the game:

3Jane
    edited October 2018
    Here's one for the books...

Spot the ship - it is 80 metres away according to the scanner: The SRV turret retracted as I approached too...  from a faction 170 Lyr from Sol...  This is 10KLy away...

Neo
    It's probably under the surface. I've had the odd skimmer trapped inside hillocks and under the floor before. What it's doing all the way out there though....
    edited October 2018
    Have you posted on the FD forum? Someone may shed some light on it - especially if you put it in the bugs section.

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/forumdisplay.php/105-PC-amp-Mac-Bug-Reports

edited October 2018
    Woo-hoo! Look what I found last night...

...and it's so "valuable" that it makes me wanted in every populated system in the galaxy! :p

3Jane
    If I wasn't 7KLy away (but getting closer) I'd have offered you 25% value to get it off your hands...

Poor old ship needs a respray...

edited October 2018
    Hah ha! Nice one.

I did offer it to anyone on the FD forums, and in the Shinrata Dezhra system (where I was) before ejecting it, as no-one wanted it. You can only really use it with a probe, to gain access to some feature of the Guardian structures, I believe. Can't even sell them in black markets these days, hence the ejection.

Edit: Don't worry, though, as you can go and get one yourself. Seems this is a permanent crash site - so look at the system and grid ref in my screenshot and head over any time to get your own. There are supposedly places where you can pick up a stack of them, but unless your aim is shutting down a space station or gaining access to Palin, there's not much point.

3Jane
    Brixmis said:
    Can't even sell them in black markets these days, hence the ejection.
    What's the universe coming to if you can't even sell them on the Black Market... 

I think Palin is on my wanted list, but will have to wait a while as the recent update on ED beta (coming real soon) has me wondering on what ships are coming out - currently trying to outfit a Clipper as explorer and failing.  My Explorca runs circles around it... (both are very elegant ships, each with their own limitations)

Clipper is a fantastic explorer - but so is Orca :) I use both, but prefer the Clipper for exploration and the Orca for long range passenger missions (scientist data collection and the like) - though I will use a DBX if I feel up for a challenge. Oh, and the Krait now, of course.

• Digikid1Digikid1 Posts: 1,921 Valuable Player
    edited October 2018
    Hmm....believe it or not this is the first I've heard of this game.  Might have to check it out if there is a demo or something like that.

*Looks up price on Oculus Store...*

$69.99CDN!?!?!?!!?

Nope! :| :| :|
    Digikid1 said:
    Hmm....believe it or not this is the first I've heard of this game.  Might have to check it out if there is a demo or something like that.

$69.99CDN!?!?!?!!?

It's the best VR game available so far for my money, JUST beating Skyrim VR in terms of awesomeness. There's a steep learning curve but once you do the in-game tutorials a few times and watch a few YouTube tutorials it's quite easy to get the hang of things. Ideally you need a HOTAS to play the game properly, the Thrustmaster T-Flight X HOTAS is as cheap as chips and works great.

It does appear on sale every now and then though so you might want to wait until nearer to Christmas before buying, but even at full price it's worth every penny imo.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

edited October 2018
    Yes, it can be had very cheap in the Steam sales - don't know how much or if it gets reduced in Home sales. I would buy the full version as well - which is Elite plus the Horizons DLC, which is not vital but you will wish you'd bought it if you don't. I think it's called the Commander's Pack all together.

I think there is a new paid add-on coming next year, so Black Friday or Christmas sales would be a good time to take the plunge.

Yup, and if you get it on Steam they give you an Oculus Home key too via their website too so you don't have to fuck around with crappy SteamVR.

And here's a first video showing what's coming in the next update, this one shows exploration and the Codex:

Neo
    Digikid1 said:

$69.99CDN!?!?!?!!?

When the new Q4 Beyond update comes out, I can almost guarantee that it'll be on sale. It's been on sales loads of times already now and often gets reduced down to about £20 for the main game and Horizons update. You don't need to buy it on the Oculus store or even Steam, to play it in VR.
    3Jane
    @Digikid1 ; - Great VR game, about the only one I use SS with :)
    For a game that has no direction (you choose what you wish to do) and no perceivable end it is surprisingly engrossing and the role of Explorer is about to get a massive boost (although there is enough dissent from others to the changes - I am expressing a personal view) to its mechanics.

This game dragged me away from SkyrimVR & Fallout 4VR, terrible game!

Yup, I quite like the look of the updates to Exploration too. I can't wait to see what they're doing with Mining too.

3Jane
    Currently on my way to Ratraii (where else would a rat go?) ready to leave the explorca somewhere cosy when the beta begins :)

I've set myself the goal of unlocking all the Guardian hardware. I didn't have enough module and weapon blueprints after doing the rounds with Chaz - so while he's otherwise engaged, I've gone back to get more. Need 3 and 7 (!) respectively.

It's not helped by the fact that the newer planet terrain graphics still make me feel a bit pukey when fighting the sentinels. So it's a bit of a chore just now - but I'll get through it, one way or another.

Talking of chores, I can't say I'm looking forward to taking on the Thargs (which is the point of all this) and every video of a Tharg fight I see makes me feel less inclined to stick with it.

3Jane
    edited October 2018
    I collected 2 Guardian module blueprints recently, although am lacking in one of the mats for the FSD Booster (1 short) , not sure what I'd use the other for yet.
    I'm not experienced / brave enough to face the Thargs yet so will scurry around doing harmless things for a while, although I ranked up to Novice in combat while shooting the Guardian skimmer type things :) (I got my Exploration Elite a few weeks back)

If you'd like company doing the Guardian sites while Chaz is away PM me and I'll be pleased to tag along (2 guns being better than 1...  which is the pointy end again?)

edited October 2018
    Well I'm currently at SYNUEFE GT-H B43-1 C 4 which is a module BP site. The pylon layout is very simple and my ship is parked in an excellent spot for giving point defence cover.

I'll be there for a couple of days yet (depending on if you come along to get some BPs, too - then probably get it all done in one sesh :)

Then I want to move on to a weapon BP site. I'll look back through my screenshots to see which is best for that - am open to suggestions.

Confirm RattyUK is your commander name, and I'll send a friend request and group invite. Chaz and I use the Mobius Eurasia group, but if you're not a member, I'll invite you to my own group, for simple winging up (open is okay, as long as there are no griefers about).

We can arrange a time etc on pm.

I was going to suggest you coming along with Chaz and myself when we take on the Thargs. After all, you know what they say - misery likes company! :D

3Jane
    edited October 2018
    CMDR Ratkatcher at your service :cold_sweat:   Will turn the explorca around and head in your direction, should be there after an hour or so of jumping (If I don't get sidetracked by shiny new systems that really must be explored) so can be in the locality as and when.  I'll see if Mobias Eurasia has any free space otherwise a PG / open is fine (explorca has no guns - but does have 2 PD)

Maybe @snowdog ; would like to dust his hotas off?