Elite Exploration - Page 5 — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Elite Exploration

Comments

• JD-UKJD-UK Posts: 2,289 Valuable Player
    Roger diddley ;)

• MAC_MAN86MAC_MAN86 Posts: 2,262
    Wintermute
    Excited for all the new feature. Many of which are more open in a realtime sense e.g. USS with timers across Systems. However, I only hope they did stretch all the capabilities to all parts of Multicrew else they continue to just add stuff and leave other added stuff very shit.
    Multicrew currently:
    Captain can't use Gunner to protect ship whilst Fighters Dock so we end up wasting them.
    Captain can't use a Fighter and leave Ship unmanned or get AI or even a Crew to take over which can be good for experiencing.
    Captain can't Disable Gunner so I must constantly text in VR and Kick abusers for ignoring against it.
    Gunner laser visuals lag and delays with its on/off when crew switch roles.
    Constant issues with AI Fighters switching OFF weapons/modules so I must reset these manually by taking over.
    Gunner was a bad simple plan to avoid a proper Turret Seat and excuse was the Stars turning differently to user makes them sick in VR. So include a Star Filter and add errrrrrr bloody Radar and put important stuff like WANTED STATUS of both MotherShip and Targets and all temps in close view!

Frankly if all they did was add another huge layer it does leave a vast ton of crap left behind it all...
    POWERPLAY, MULTICREW, CQC, GRINDING FOREVER STILL FOR RAW MATS only to unlock stuff that make you play repeatedly and has no connection to that Unlock!

• Digikid1Digikid1 Posts: 1,909 Valuable Player
    Is this game simular to Earth and Beyond?

Used to play that game with a friend for a few months.  Was quite interesting.  Quite funny when the ships would go THROUGH the bases since they had NO collision models.  You would be standing on the base trading and a ship would slowly glide THROUGH everything.  LOL!!!!!!

• RattyUKRattyUK Posts: 726
    3Jane
    edited October 2018
    @Digikid1 ; - are you old enough to have seen / played the original 1984+ game (that was wireframe graphics)?  Space sims seem to have diversified in quality (playability) but I think the original Elite spawned most...

Another one of those games that were designed from the outset to look good in VR and in the main it does (some menus are very flat) and there are some awesome details to enjoy - I'm thinking of seeing a star just 'hanging' there in space, just how big an asteroid or chunk of ice is when mining (flat screen is nowhere near so impressive) how the entrance to the space stations appears to shrink dramatically in VR (or maybe the ships suddenly 'feel' bigger...) many things can make you have a 'wow' moment.

No particular role, you could be a trader, explorer, bounty hunter and pirate all in the same game session if the fancy took you (or even run a luxury passenger cruiser).

If you like frantic shooting things, easy going exploration, manipulating the local politics (a bit buggy but with promises of being fixed) stealth tactics...  It's all there in the game.

It is also incredibly sneaky in that despite not having any particular 'goal' there is enough to do that hours can slip by gracelessly into the times when you really should be eating, sleeping or whatever.

No ongoing story like Skyrim or Fallout 4 as a framework, just you and your imagination.

Collision detection can be tested by running your ship into the side of a mountain, space station or even simply forgetting that gravity pulls you toward the surface...  Best tested by turning your shields off first :)   (kindly note, running into the wall of a space station is frowned upon by the locals, can't imagine why!)

If you consider the game worth it, I'm sure that there are a few of us who'd be happy to be mentors (hopefully the kind with a hold full of valuable cargo to donate so that you can get a start on the game ladder) if asked.
    PC info: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, Asus ROG Crosshair VII Hero, 16GB Tforce Pro Dark DDR4 3200, Gigabyte GTX 1080, Samsung 870 Pro M.2, 2x 240GB SSD, 3TB WD Green HDD & 4 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, Corsair Modular 750w PSU, custom watercooling loop. (Win 10 Pro & Opensuse Leap 15 Linux) 32" AOC 4K Monitor.

Laptop: Aorus X5 V6-CF1 (I7-6820HK, GTX 1070, 2* 256GB M.2 NVME, 1TB 7200 HDD 3K screen)
    Yeah - just be careful. Just cos the space port is on your side, doesn't mean they aren't gonna blow you to pieces if you sit in the airlock longer than 10 seconds! Or try and land on the wrong pad.

Strongly recommend doing the tutorial missions first if you get it.

• snowdogsnowdog Posts: 6,736 Valuable Player
    I can't put into words just how great Elite Dangerous is to me personally. I played the first game religiously on my 48K Speccy in the 80s for years and had been number one on my best games of all time list since then.

I never thought much of the second and third games for some reason, I think it was down to me preferring the clean look of the wireframe graphics tbh.

I loved the first game so much that I used to replay the game in the 90s and 00s via a Speccy emulator on my PC every few years during which time I was constantly looking for a replacement that measured up against it. The nearest game that came to it was Freelancer but it was still way off.

Elite Dangerous has been amazing for me, and even before I tried it in VR it knocked the first game down to number two in my list.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
    RattyUK said:
    @Digikid1 ; - are you old enough to have seen / played the original 1984+ game (that was wireframe graphics)?  Space sims seem to have diversified in quality (playability) but I think the original Elite spawned most...
    Yes.  I was just a teenager when that would've been out.
    snowdog said:
    I can't put into words just how great Elite Dangerous is to me personally. I played the first game religiously on my 48K Speccy in the 80s for years and had been number one on my best games of all time list since then.

I never thought much of the second and third games for some reason, I think it was down to me preferring the clean look of the wireframe graphics tbh.

I loved the first game so much that I used to replay the game in the 90s and 00s via a Speccy emulator on my PC every few years during which time I was constantly looking for a replacement that measured up against it. The nearest game that came to it was Freelancer but it was still way off.

Elite Dangerous has been amazing for me, and even before I tried it in VR it knocked the first game down to number two in my list.
    Don't you play it now? Don't know if you were on the pre-release of E:D, but we all got a free "16bit" Elite game with it - and it works quite well, too! In fact - you just motivated me to use the icon as my new avatar :)

No, I don't play it any more cos Elite Dangerous has well and truly taken its place. I can't go back to playing it now that I've experienced the wonders of Elite Dangerous in VR.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

edited October 2018
    Pylon locstat at SYNUEFE ZL-J D10-109 E 3

and what is that supposed to do?
    3Jane
    Digikid1 said:
    and what is that supposed to do?
    It's a location to collect some weapon blueprints, naturally the local defense sentinals don't take kindly to uninvited visitors :smile:
    To the uninitiated the game will forever hold its dark secrets... (cue ominous music in background)
    PC info: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, Asus ROG Crosshair VII Hero, 16GB Tforce Pro Dark DDR4 3200, Gigabyte GTX 1080, Samsung 870 Pro M.2, 2x 240GB SSD, 3TB WD Green HDD & 4 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, Corsair Modular 750w PSU, custom watercooling loop. (Win 10 Pro & Opensuse Leap 15 Linux) 32" AOC 4K Monitor.

Laptop: Aorus X5 V6-CF1 (I7-6820HK, GTX 1070, 2* 256GB M.2 NVME, 1TB 7200 HDD 3K screen)
    Wintermute
    That is the order of going to each Pylon? Must take forever if anyone was never given the solution out of a leak!
    edited October 2018
    This is easily the easiest layout to do the pylon rounds that I've come across so far, at any Guardian structure. We just did 4 rounds quickly and easily. The ones numbered 3 to 6 you just drive in a straight line (with some bumps) and there they are.

Took me a while to find number 2 the first time, because I expected it to be "South" of the cross line.

@Digikid - you need certain materials and blueprints to unlock some extra ship modules and weapons that are especially useful for combat with Thargoids - which is an alien race that is threatening to take over human populated space. You need special equipment and special weapons to beat them.

When you arrive at the site, you have to activate the 'system' by driving over a certain spot, then one or two pylons will rise up out of the ground. You then have to drive around the site, looking for the remainder (usually 6 pylons in total). When you have found them, you shoot at one, which starts a timer. It becomes charged, and fires off a light beacon into the sky (as seen in that screenshot). You have to charge all 6 pylons in the time given (each charge adds around 2 minutes to the time left).

Once all pylons are charged, you go to the main part of the structure (where you activated the system) and eject a relic over it - which in turn activates a big Guardian beacon in the shape of a rotating sphere. You can scan this sphere, which gives you your blueprint (weapon, module or vessel). To get the vessel blueprints you have to go to a Guardian Beacon in space, first. (see my screenshots further back) and obtain a key and you get a message telling you where the structure is, that the key can be used at.

Oh - and whilst you are driving around these structures, collecting bits and pieces and activating pylons, you constantly have small drone ships called Sentinels popping up out of the ground and attacking you.

All good fun :)

This is one of the Guardian wepons you can unlock for Tharg bashing:

This is me shooting at a Sentinel at point-blank range - the buggers come up right next to you sometimes:

This is Ratty - scanning the blueprint sphere:

3Jane
    edited October 2018
    I had to click like really...

Nice when someone has your back though B)

One of those nice plasma chargers would look really good on my Vulture, maybe two...

They cause a lot of heat build up when you fire them. That goes for all Guardian weapons. Just be prepared :)

Wintermute
    You therefore need PowerPlant GD4 or 5 to lower heat.
    More fun with Guardian structure hunting. Also found an undiscovered system on the way - well chuffed! More money for the pot :)

Who says you can't land a large ship at a Guardian structure?

Here's my fantastic Orca, "Fuddy Duddy", at the COL 173 SECTOR LT-Q D5-82 site:

As the site is currently on the dark side of the planet, I've had to play with the brightness and contrast in the screenshots - but it's clear enough.

It covers the whole site very well (I fitted two point defence modules on the top, but the odd missile does get through)...

Not only that, it's 571m from the site location - which means after doing a round for the weapon blueprint, I can just hop back aboard and exit the game, without concern for the game moving the ship on my return.
    I had hoped I'd finished with blueprint scanning, but found that I was 3 prints short to unlock the final 3 class 1 guardian weapons at the broker. Was kicking myself over that - didn't realise that some of the higher class weapons require two blueprints each.

This site is relatively simple, once you start activating the pylons - it's then quite easy to work out the pattern, but it did take me a long time to actually find the activation spot, in the dim conditions. Here's hoping when I return the nucleus star will have moved around a bit.... this way! (not the other, leaving it even darker).

All good fun! :D

Nowt to do with Exploration but the livestream on Thursday detailed Squadrons and Mining:

Mining looks fucking awesome now (and I loved it as it was before too!). I'm gonna be blowing up asteroids all over the place lol :o :D :D :D

Didn't watch it (well, just first few minutes) cos it went back to the boring as hell waffle about bullshit stuff instead of getting on with it, like they did very well in the 1st two videos. Bring the other two guys back, please, and bin the duffer with the beard.

• bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 3,823 Valuable Player
    Edd Lewis is the head community guy and is in the vast majority of the streams. A fantastic chap who is as friendly in the flesh as he is online and I hope they never get rid of him. 
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
    Well I watch update videos and so on to see what's coming and not to listen to a couple of guys waffling on stuff that's of zero interest to me - it's not supposed to be a chat show, it's supposed to tell us what is coming in the update and how to use certain new functions.
    So it doesn't matter what type of guy he is, he needs to do that - I don't have time to waste watching videos if they are not of use to me in some way - it's just the modern lazy way, in any case. I get sick of all the "watch the video" crap we see on DCS World, for example, but for so many games these days - especially EA ones. Something like Elite should not be falling to that level. Give us manuals, in-game tutorials, or proper video tutes (or demos) for new functions or procedures and leave the waffle or have specific "chat" streams just for that.
    I find it highly unprofessional.

edited November 2018
    Tried to watch it again this morning - was actually 10 minutes before they started talking about what would be covered in the video. Take 5 minutes off for the intro screen (wish YT would cut those off stream recordings) and that's 5 minutes of waffle before they even got to the video subject.
    I thought 'OK, we'll see what happens from here' but within a minute or so it was back to waffle again, so I just switched off. Unfortunately, I can't stand Obsidian Ant's irritating approach (and I know I'm not the only one) so that leaves either Down To Earth Astronomy - who I can't always understand, or another one I found today via YT search, who I'll check out later.

It was the same thing that meant, despite being quite happy to go mining originally, it was months after the newer method was introduced, before I ventured out, having an idea of what I was doing (thanks to @Chazmeister who explained the procedure on here for me). All because there was too much extraneous waffle in the ED videos.

Bit like my forum posts, you might say, if you were being wicked... :/

*edited cos I'm getting old and keep pressing the wrong keys....

3Jane
    Followed a rumour in the Codex - didn't find the structure they mentioned, but did find this:

A Thargoid site

Anybody else think that looks like a lizard head?   My first thought was of the mythical dragon (the Wyrme - not the modern fantasy one)

Had fun out in Thargoid territory - including getting shot at immediately entering a Threat 3 USS!

@Brixmis - I watched the livestream and also thought it wasn't as polished or flowing as the previous 2, but there was less content to fill their slot - goodness knows how they'll fill next weeks - ships!

• bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 3,823 Valuable Player
    Is that your 1st thargoid base? They are good ! If you have decent headphones stick them on, the sounds.are.quite spooky!
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
    3Jane
    edited November 2018
    Is that your 1st thargoid base? They are good ! If you have decent headphones stick them on, the sounds.are.quite spooky!
    Yes it is Mike, sadly my headphones right ear has disappeared (last night, of course!) and I wasn't in VR at the time either so no great Rift sound.  I did get some of the atmospherics from my PC speakers (2 satellites & sub) but had to have the volume low so as not to interfere with my wife's TV watching.

I'll be visiting a few of the sites I have been to in beta when C4 drops, so far it's been brilliant - not so great in VR as the scanners are a bit broke... 

I see what you mean about the lizard.

Unfortunately, I've been feeling very crap since my flu vaccination. Normally doesn't bother me, but this year it gave me some allergic reactions and a lot of flu-like symptoms (got a big, tender lump under my armpit, on the arm they injected, as well), so I'm not really up to sticking my head in a VR headset just now.

Replaying Dead Island to keep my mind off it. Oh - and watching England thump South Africa and New Zealand in the two rugger disciplines today :)

3Jane
    edited November 2018
    @Brixmis ; - sorry about your reaction to the 'flu jab - oddly enough my wife had the 'enhanced' one and it left her arm very painful and feeling crap, maybe this year's is a bit more aggressive than normal.

I still play Dead Island Riptide often, great fun :smiley: