Elite Exploration - Page 7 — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Elite Exploration

Comments

• JD-UKJD-UK Posts: 2,289 Valuable Player
    You can also send us a friend request on it ;)

• RattyUKRattyUK Posts: 867
    3Jane
    edited November 2018
    I've just had an hour in VR on today's update, tthings aren't perfect by any means but are much more useable than they were.  I was able to scan a 30+ body system as quickly as on pancake (minus blue balls) so not bad at all.

The floaty blue bits are still a little odd, but overall not intrusive.

Got distracted from mining as my T7, newly equipped with the shiny new stuff has forgotten how to mine as I can't fire any of the new or old lasers no matter how I try - hoping it is just a bug...  The distraction was in explorer outfitting a Beluga...  Just doing the rounds of the engineers but reckon with a guardian FSD booster it will hit 50+ Ly jump range.  Already cruising at 19% heat (shields on) and a couple more engineers to visit.
    Really proud of myself as I didn't catch its fat arse in the toast rack on the way out either!

As Brixmis mentioned - you can meet all sorts of weirdo's on Inara  >:)  (not that we're looking at you, Mike...)
    PC info: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, Asus ROG Crosshair VII Hero, 16GB Tforce Pro Dark DDR4 3200, Gigabyte GTX 1080, Samsung 870 Pro M.2, 2x 240GB SSD, 3TB WD Green HDD & 4 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, Corsair Modular 750w PSU, custom watercooling loop. (Win 10 Pro & Opensuse Leap 15 Linux) 32" AOC 4K Monitor.

Laptop: Aorus X5 V6-CF1 (I7-6820HK, GTX 1070, 2* 256GB M.2 NVME, 1TB 7200 HDD 3K screen)
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 6,933 Valuable Player
    Brixmis said:
    Fuck me, Mike - that's waaay too many ships in one hangar! :D

Chaz is the best guy to ask about INARA - I've only just started using it myself.

This is my X56 set-up, with the new exploration functions added:

Should perhaps mention that I don't use the gaze UI or whatever it's called - I like to have my views clear, and use a 4-way control for the various cockpit UI panels.
    thanks for that...... as for ships, I play Elite in a "strange" way.  Elite is my desert island game, ever since KSer i knew that it was going to be the game i play more than any other for years. I am also a progress based gamer.  i like skinner boxes i guess. my dread is the day i get to triple elite and money no longer matters and this is why i have given myself very strict rules of play.  i never sell a ship i do not own another version of, i never strip a ship to outfit another one, and if i feel a mission template is borked and is paying too much i ban myself from doing it. It is a tough thing tho, because obviously i want to try to be "good" at my job, so it is a constant struggle to earn as much as i can, but WITHOUT doing it in a way i think it cheesy or exploity.  Elite makes it harder than it should be because there are so many loopholes in the game, and the game practically throws money at you now :(

one of my pilots goals is to own and outfit to a specific purpose one of every ship in the game.  I also periodically use them, so for a session i may just use my sidewinder  or adder for instance.

i am into the 1000s of hrs into the game any yet my progress (and certainly my bank balance) is relatively puny compared to others.   I own 23 ships, i am not exactly sure how many are in the game right now - at a guess 38 or so, so i have a ways to go yet.

Yup, it's way too easy to earn money in this game. Most people complain about the grinding but I don't think it's grindy ENOUGH lol

It's nowhere near as grindy as the first game in the 80s!

I tend to play the game the same way I played the first game in the 80s and just trade and do haulage jobs with a bit of bounty hunting and mining to break things up. I tend to stay away from Community Goals and exploits to earn cash.

I also only own one ship at a time too.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
    edited November 2018
    That's how I played up until my reset last year.

I have to admit, since I stopped playing a week or so ago, my interest has been waning. I don't know if I can be bothered to learn the new stuff now - especially with the bugs. Every time I sit down for a session, I end up doing something else - and haven't had my headset on for a week, either. The longest 'break' I've had since I had it replaced.
    Considering the crap state of DCS World in VR, I'm seriously considering going back to TrackIR for that, because each time I put on the headset and start up a mission, I end up ditching it in disappointment before I've even taken off (sometimes before even starting the engine(s)).

I had to take a few days' break due to feeling crap, but now that's over, to my own surprise, I just don't feel like jumping back in - and if I do, I think it will be for FSX, P3D or IL-2 BoX. The stuff that a) runs well, and b) is actually relaxing. Yes - I find IL-2 relaxing!

I no longer find Elite:D relaxing, even in exploration - just tedious.

Hopefully just a phase. I think I'll give Elite a miss until after public release of the update. Hopefully won't be too many bugs left by then, and I'll be able to learn the new stuff at leisure.

Edit: Over recent weeks I've thought more and more about resetting my profile again - that may be the way to go.

• bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 3,916 Valuable Player
    Brixmis said:
    That's how I played up until my reset last year.

Edit: Over recent weeks I've thought more and more about resetting my profile again - that may be the way to go.
    i could not do that, however i have had a couple of semi resets.... ie fly to an area of space i have never been, blow all my money on a ship and mothball it, then buy another low end ship that i want to "start" with.  (in my case it was an imperial eagle as i wanted to go through all the cheap ships which i missed out on or did not exist when the game entered gamma).

and go from there.  most of the advantages of starting from scratch but without losing everything which is just too hardcore for me. The problem is even with an E rated imperial eagle and less than 100 credits, i was still in an A rated asp scout within a few hrs, and well on the way to a federal gun ship within 5. (admittedly i still had my federal rank)
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
  • ChazmeisterChazmeister Posts: 536
    Neo
    That's where the big ships come in, as they're real money sinks to fit out well. My Anaconda had been a work in progress for ages until I had it fitted to a final spec I'm happy with, and it's still not 100% A rated just because some of the parts are still so darn expensive. Luckily a bit of minor engineering now easily makes up for any shortfall and then some, of not going full A spec. My next one will be the Corvette once I've got the rank (only one more to go), and I can see that being another one that's going to sit in the hanger for awhile being worked on as and when I have the surplus funds to buy bits for it. Although that might have to wait a short while, as that new Mamba looks very nice.

I've spent a few evenings now just making back the 50 mil I spent just outfitting my Challenger. I've used an Orca and last night my trade Cutter to do that, running passenger and delivery missions. In smaller ships without their capacity, that would have taken another couple of evenings probably.

Certainly it's easier to start from scratch now than it ever was, but I don't think that's a bad thing. However I do think that the progression from small to large ships has been lost in the process. I think the cost of the ships and modules needs a bit of a rebalance, certainly at the lower end as they just feel way too cheap now. Buying a ship at the lower end doesn't feel like a meaningful purchase any more. Fit an ADS to a Sidewinder and you've increased the base value by nearly 50 times, that's crazy. The higher end medium and the large ships still feel like an investment you have to consider though, as the fitting costs soon add up. The cost of refueling could probably stand to get a rebalance too, as that hasn't been changed since they drastically reduced the cost ages back before all the mission changes and rebalancing. If I'm running trade I don't bother to stop and scoop, as what's the point? To refuel my Cutter is just a measly few thousand creds; it's hardly cutting into my profits when you're making a few hundred k per drop at the very least.

I think the mission payouts are about right now, it's just that a few things could do with adjusting to reflect that a bit better. Also I really like the new system of choosing either the money, rep or commodities/materials for the rewards.
    Absolutely. I remember when it felt like it would take forever to get to 6 figures (using normal play methods and not the get rich quick ones). Just having enough to finally buy a Hauler or Cobra III felt like a major achievement.

During my first career, I spent virtually the entire time just learning the prices of all the materials at the stations in my "home" system and those of the systems all around it. I used an android app called Elite Dangerous TradePad Pro and entered the prices for every commodity at every station I visited, manually. Just like the orriginal game, really. Built up a picture of what was required where and worked out the most lucrative trade routes and did some mining and bounty hunting on the side.

The problem was, it very slowly got me nowhere. Did nothing for my promotion and not much for my rep - but it was all I knew and I was comfy with it - so that's what I did.
    I was getting sick and tired of the multiple interdiction attempts going on back then - it was crazy, and it was only after reading about exploration that I decided to head out to Colonia in an AspX, both to get away and as a big adventure - with a really crappy, small fuel scoop which took several minutes to fill up after even just one 30LY jump. Yet I loved the trip out there. The 80 million credits I got in cartography data was what persuaded me that exploration was something I should do a lot more of in future. It was like hitting the jackpot.

Colonia itself, at the time, was very underwhelming and I soon found myself heading back - which was when I had the neutron star incident and ended up resetting. My second career bore zero resemblence to the first, because we had big changes in updates, new style, high-paying planetary scan jobs you could stack and earn silly money from, no end of websites with info to help me along and ranking up had never been so easy. It was a lot more enjoyable than the first, but also in recent months, it got far too easy. However, some of the easy money missions have now disappeared or are nothing like they used to be (and not fun any more, not just because they don't pay as much). I never do planetary scan missions now, because they have become tedious crap. Same with salvage missions.

The game has completely changed this year, and I think many of those changes have not been for the better, at all. Despite the positive vibes surrounding the coming update, I also just see it as making us jump through more hoops to achieve almost the same thing. Also, being able to scan the entire system from the core, does not appeal to me. Not after all the hours and hours I've spent in supercruise to detail scan hundreds, if not thousands of systems across the galaxy. Now some oik is going to turn up, stick their head in their FSS thing for a few minutes and be done? No thanks.

I also noticed that the description of the new mining system - such as it is - on the FD forum is a quick overview paragraph, followed by a more detailed, but still leaving you very much in the dark, paragraph. Then comes Squadrons (da-da-da-daaaah!) with an overview paragraph followed by nine(!) explanation paragraphs telling you every possible thing about it.

Congrats, FD, you just made me start considering giving the game up that has kept me busy for 4 years and that up to a couple of weeks ago, I was still enjoying. Also, because I'm really pissed off with having to watch videos to find out how to do things in this game. Where to find things. Having to use external apps to know what I need to complete something, or fidn information, that should all be available in the game, or it's manual. FFS we're not talking about an early release game, here, the game is 4 frikkin years old and we still have to go to other websites to find stuff out! I also seem to be getting the same voice actor at every single planetary base I go to these days (the Irish bloke). Did a bunch of them withdraw their permission for FD to use their voices or something? Seriosuly, I'm getting the same guy so many times now.

Anyway, that's why I'm not playing right now. I did take almost a year's break once and I'll likely do it again.

Sorry for the moan. Seeya round.

edited November 2018
    i think my main gripe (I have a few) but my main one is how irrelevant piracy is, and this is a shame as it is meant to be one of the core tenants of the elite universe. actually save retyping here is a post i made on the forums about how i think FD could improve piracy

Piracy was borked the moment that the economy got so silly that it is not worth the players time to stop and scoop a few tons of even precious metals because you can earn 10 -100x more by doing a 1 jump delivery mission.

It can be fixed imo bit will need a total rethink of what missions pay in ED as well as the costs of hardware etc and not sure it is something FD want to do.
    1)a lower pay of traded based missions accros the board to 10% (the extreme payers, the lower payers reduced less)
    1b) lower cost of other missions to 30% of current prices (assault/assassination missions etc)
    2) lower cost.of ships currently above say 1 million on an increasing scale so a conda is say 35 million (same with outfitting)
    3) keep comodities same price
    4) add in docking fees 3 tier price small, medium and large.
    5) add in trade tax on purchasing which is reduced.based on rep with system and reduced more if you deliver items in demand at that station
    6) implement more complex.supply and demand chains in BGS so need to do 4 or 5 loop runs but with good profits on all commodities possible not just the top few)

There you have it... Piracy worth while, because it does not matter what they drop, it will fetch proper money somewhere, and the relative costs of pure profit from piracy would make it a legitimate money earner.

A mission to deliver 10 tons.of goods no longer pays more than buying and delivering goods yourself
    Bulk trade pays really well but running costs of large shipping business are a thing but can be rediced with good planning
    And economy makes sense

BTW word of warning incase you have not tried beta... pirates are a lot more piratey, the are very quick to fire off the hatch limpets... over all i like this but it does mean if you want to carry around your precious guardian artefacts etc you are a lot more likely to lose them!.

Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 6,933 Valuable Player
    I'm soooooooo tempted to try out this Mining Beta but am resisting it. I'm going to let the great unwashed do this Beta testing instead lol :D
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
    3Jane
    I wanted to try the mining beta last night.  I have a T7 outfitted as a miner (I like the Tx ships a lot - big ugly bricks -small in the case of 6) but can't outfit it because one of the blasters smallest fitting is size 2.  Ignored that and off I go - can't scan anything apart from honk as the Analysis system just fades away after a few seconds, no hardpoint use because I can't select them...  It goes on, so I went back to base and bought a Beluga.

I tend to keep the ships I use, which is why I have 2 Orca's, fit them out to purpose and store in hangar until needed.

My play has never been a grind, just going around picking up missions I like the look of and doing them.  for rank advancement I was doing missions for rep rather than credits - the game world has no use for masses of currency so I earn as much as I need before going off exploring...

I have to say though that playing alongside Brixmis in the guardian site was a new experience which was great fun, me being a hermit usually...  so even if you are fed up Brix, you have done some good :)
    PC info: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, Asus ROG Crosshair VII Hero, 16GB Tforce Pro Dark DDR4 3200, Gigabyte GTX 1080, Samsung 870 Pro M.2, 2x 240GB SSD, 3TB WD Green HDD & 4 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, Corsair Modular 750w PSU, custom watercooling loop. (Win 10 Pro & Opensuse Leap 15 Linux) 32" AOC 4K Monitor.

Laptop: Aorus X5 V6-CF1 (I7-6820HK, GTX 1070, 2* 256GB M.2 NVME, 1TB 7200 HDD 3K screen)
    Well, even if I don't play alone, I'm always open to an invitation for a co-op job. Like you say, playing in a wing is a lot more fun.
    I did look at the two new ships since my last post and I like the new Krait version - I think the Krait is great for mining, but would only use the Krait II with SLF, to watch my back and ward of undesirables whilst I'm mining. The new one doesn't have that, so unsure if it would be of use or not - but the Krait is definitely a favourite.
    The other one, the Mamba, didn't interest me so much. They likened it to a faster FDL - I've had a couple of FDLs for testing and thought they were okay, but think they are sole use craft. Fighting is their thing and that is, imho, what they should be used for. If the new one is not so agile (according to the guys on the stream, which I tabbed through after it had finished live) it may not be worth buying.

I just jumped into Iris' F-16D in P3D in VR earlier and had a whale of a time - so I think I know where I'll be spending my upcoming VR time.

snowdog said:
    I'm soooooooo tempted to try out this Mining Beta but am resisting it. I'm going to let the great unwashed do this Beta testing instead lol :D
    It needs balancing at moment other than. Fun (which is important) the increased profits do not justify the extra gear needed. Also the lighting of the mining scanner is borked in vr
    3Jane
    snowdog said:
    It needs balancing at moment other than. Fun (which is important) the increased profits do not justify the extra gear needed. Also the lighting of the mining scanner is borked in vr
    it's not that brilliant in pancake either...  but is useable.

I had a quick go in my Krait last night, only 32t cargo - loaded with limpets.  Jumped to a pristine about 1KLy out  and was in a hotspot mining  - filling the hold faster than I could use up limpets!  I think some folk got the impression that you only needed the 'new' kit - but you need it all to deplete rocks!  Never got chance to do any big bang mining  - I had a hold full of Platinum and Samarium way too quickly!

I'll go out with a T9 later :)

• ChazmeisterChazmeister Posts: 536
    Neo
    edited November 2018
    RattyUK said:

I have to say though that playing alongside Brixmis in the guardian site was a new experience which was great fun, me being a hermit usually...  so even if you are fed up Brix, you have done some good :)

If you want to do anymore wing stuff, just add cmdr Chazmeister to your friends list. I promise not to waffle constantly like Brix does either ;)  I'm still playing most nights in the Mobius eurasia group. Although not tonight probably, as I'm going to be trying out Conan Exiles.

Well due to my reduced download speed now, I'm just going to wait until release to try all this new stuff out. That Mamba does look damn sexy though, kind of retro Italian sports car looks, very nice! Defo going to add one of those to my fleet.
    I think the upshot of the new mining stuff, is that you can still mine like you used to in smaller ships, but if you want to do the new stuff you'll need a bigger better more dedicated ship for it. That's my take away anyway. Hopefully my T9 miner will be up to the job.
    Has anyone seen the new wing surface installation missions that were supposed to have come in with the last patch. Were they put in, in the end? I've never yet seen one on the mission boards.
    3Jane
    edited November 2018
    @Chazmeister ; - I'll put feelers out for you in the Live, beta's snapshot was before I got into Mobius & pals with Brixmis, looking for you there drew a blank.

The T9 is OK for the new mining but placement of the subsurface missile launcher needs to be on the centre hardpoint otherwise you have to add an offset to the 'target reticule' to hit the right spot (depends on which side you put the launcher as to which way you move offset) which is frustrating. Edit:  Ideally two mining lasers on the fore and the rest of the tat spread around as you fancy)

You have to hybrid mine - old and new - to make mining worthwhile as you cannot deplete a rock with only the new tools, I think the hype had folk believing only the new were needed so there is a lot of salt flowing in the forum :)

ETA: mining lasers and a mistake in the launcher...

After spending a couple of days in P3D VR, I took Fuddy Duddy out to a barnacle site this evening. Some nice, relaxing body scanning and now collecting as much mat's as I can. Got a 64t hold on her, so I'm going to fill it up with meta-alloys for the return journey.
    With the Guardian FSD Booster fitted, Pleiades is even closer now.

Not been to this site before, but there is a very weird sound coming from further along the ravine it's in - but when I went to investigate I found myself repeatedly sinking through the terrain, where you can see right through the planet! I feel another bug report coming...

Oh - before I took a break, I did manage to unlock all the Guardian stuff - though I'm only using that FSD Booster and the Shard Cannon so far.

Hmmm - jumped on this morning as i was bored, and went to a random Thargoid Object and found this site:

Got loads more screenies - will hopefully post a link later. Not so bored now! :)

3Jane
    @Brixmis ; - did you notice the 'head'?

There is a structure that resembles one - in fact, I drove into and all over it, before boosting down to the Tharg-shaped centre (or at least Tharg Interceptor shaped).

My current mystery is how to get inside the centre bit. My buggy goes all pear-shaped when I approach what look like entrances, but I can't get in - and so thus far I haven't been able to try and pick up or scan the Thargoid Link canisters.

I had to do an emergency exit because I parked my ship just outside the edge of the structure, but couldn't get back to it!

D'oh!

You mean this bit:

and this is where I parked my ship...

The "heart" bit...

The apparent entry ports....

...as far as I can get...

By the way, have you shot at the scavengers? I was tempted to, but there are so many of them, I was worried I would get mugged!

This one is also at a different location to the one in your picture (Pleiades Sector EL-Y D23). I literally just randomly picked it from the galaxy map (with the systems containing a Thargoid presence showing green).

3Jane
    edited November 2018
    The scavengers are pretty easy, they do shoot back and will gang together but make a satisfactory noise when you hit them, also leave behind Thargoid fragments?  Without being in the game...

I couldn't find a successful route to the heart when I visited, at least not one that I thought I'd get back from!

I did park the SRV in the 'mouth' of the 'head' after a little fannying around with boost jumps, nice view :)

Been test driving the new Krait Phantom, I feel this will be the explorer of choice for those not in love with the Anaconda, it is a very capable little ship, even if it doesn't have a coffee maker!

With just a basic bit of engineering & Guardian FSD Booster.

edited November 2018
    Ah, not only have I found that the Scavengers are easy prey, but they also drop Thargoid technology compnonents - which shouldn't affect me as far as corrosion goes, as they are listed as materials.

Also dropped the oft-sought sensor fragments needed to access Prof Palin.

Had a nice fly-through, but it was dark this time, so whilst a bit eerie, it wasn't quite as picturesque...

I tried to shoot this blighter with my ship weapons, but no dice...

I also had a look down the centre of the "heart" and found it quite empty...

I'll be back for another look, and to collect more materials and meta-alloys later. Off to dinner now - it's my father-in-law's 80th birthday so we're off out for a slap-up dinner (smothered chicken for me - yummy!) :)

3Jane
    Guess I'm off the the Pleiades again...

3Jane
    I did visit the planet you were on @Brixmis ; - much more interesting than the one I visited, liked the local flora :)
    Little Phantom is now jumping at a sniff under 60Ly after a couple of engineering visits.  Will still permaboost at 400+ has shields and 2 SRV's...  only 8 cargo though, but still has 2 lasers and 2 point defense.   A very nice ship!
    VR in beta has been much improved with this week's release but still some issues to be resolved, but at least it is more like Live rather than a complete dog's dinner :)

edited November 2018
    I just had another sesh, still at that site. Got around 40 each of the Thargoid materials from the scanvengers - the upside being that they just keep respawning. Although I did come across a bug where they keep diving through the terrain.

Collected 37 meta-alloys for a nice total of 4.6 million credits at Darnielle's Progress. I then headed to Meene, but too late for the recent hoo-ha that's been going on there.

Oh - I found a weird object at that Thargoid site, called "Thargoid Bioligical Matter" - at one of those entrance type recesses.
    I was able to scoop it up (value shown at around 27.5 kcr) but it soon started melting my powerplant, so it got rather rapidly ejected. Oh well.

I'm now going to try and find out if all those materials will have any use to me - apart from the sensor fragments.

Edit: Aha!:

https://canonn.science/codex/professor-palins-mission/

What a bugger! I'm now quite far away from Darnielle's - could have stopped by at Obsidian Orbital for that mission. Oh well - I'll go back later and see if I get that mission.

I know you probably know this but just in case..... You will lose any and all progress made in beta once beta ends.
    Like I said.am sure you know this but after most beta someone posts.on the forums shocked that their X number of hrs "work" is deleted
    Yeah, I'm not using the beta anyway, and the other guys know - but always good to emphasise that for those that may not.

3Jane
    I've been slipping back to Live to raise funds, but am enjoying beta much more!
    The good thing is that in beta we get a chance to play with the new features before they go live, meaning the transition should be pretty seamless (server hiccups permitting).  Also having a chance to kit out the new Phantom beforehand means that setting it up Live will be pretty straightforward - will have to unlock a couple more engineers twixt now & then though :)

edited November 2018
    I must be truly addicted... Over the last 3 days I've completed the Ram Tah mission yet again! Just on my way back to collect my 111 million cr :)

Had the good fortune to stumble across some undiscovered systems, too. Making the most of traditional system/body scanning whilst it lasts.

The thing is, it's just for cash, because I can't get any higher in exploration - which means my next target is Elite in trade and I don't know the best way to do that. Probably just cart freight from A to B. Tedious, but I suppose I could do some more CGs to make it a bit more lucrative and increase the trade rank at the same time. Have to make myself a beefy carrier. Probably buy another Python. I've still got the 44 million cr hull or armour package for that in storage.

Talking of which, I just noticed today on INARA, that I have over 300 million cr worth of modules in storage. So if I sold that lot, it would make me a billionaire! Tempting, but I think I'll leave it - I know how rapidly those funds can disappear.

3Jane
    If you ferry 'named' passengers from A-B it is trade rather than exploration gains, but is dreadfully slow.  Maybe have a go at mining, that counts as trade too.  Making Elite in trade is going to be made easier when C4 drops if the new mining payouts/materials make it through, it will still be a slog though!

Two ranks to go - currently entrepreneur and no idea how much grind there is between ranks, though I saw something somewhere once concerning that, which made me think "bloody hell!".

Nuff said.