cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First impression.. from VR Newbie/First time in VR World. (Quality/Image/video review only)

onaiR125
Honored Guest

The consensus – Oculus Go is a great VR headset, especially
for the value. And I would definitely recommend to Friends/Family.

Like myself and perhaps many other people out there, that are
brand new to VR World, it is very hard to anticipate what to expect from the VR
World.

Here’s my first impressions;

Quality/Image/Video:

I think its like watching a 480i-720i quality video/image but
in a immerse way (quality varies from games and apps).  You can definitely see pixels on the image/video.
But I find it soooo fun because you are sooo immerse in the experience. I just really
hope that this quality will get better in VR world soon.

Now, I can’t really compare how the Rift/Vive versus the GO,
but from what I’ve read and heard, that the GO actually have better image
quality?? IS THIS RIGHT?

As far as quality/image definition goes (not looking at 3DOF
vs 6DOF), I guess I like to know whether spending +$1500 for the Rift/Vive+PC
is worth of an upgrade from the Oculus GO right now? I mean I love to play games, but am I only going to get the
same quality as Oculus Go? Because I’m expecting that the Rift/Vive is going to
have 1080p-4K quality as like me playing PUBG/Call of Duty in Xbox One in my 4KTV.

Any feedback is appreciate it!. Thank you!

4 REPLIES 4

desiv
Expert Protege

onaiR125 said:

is worth of an upgrade from the Oculus GO right now? I mean I love to play games, but am I only going to get the
have 1080p-4K quality as like me playing PUBG/Call of Duty in Xbox One in my 4KTV.

The resolution is better than the Rift/Vive (tho not the Vive Pro as I understand it).  And that is awesome.
But that is only one part of great gaming graphics.
There is also the 3D chip (GPU).  How many polygons per second can you throw at that resolution?  The PC based systems can throw WAY more than the Go.
There is also the refresh rate.  The Go is 60/72Hz.  The PC based solutions are 90Hz (as I understand it), so you get smoother animations.  More frames per second.

The Go is awesome, and I think it's enough for me to not need a PC based system for now.
(As I don't have a PC / gaming laptop, I'd have to buy that and then the PC VR hardware.  Spendy!!)
But if you want the best of the best, the PC based solutions will still be better than the Go, even if his resolution is better.

valth
Honored Guest

onaiR125 said:

The consensus – Oculus Go is a great VR headset, especially
for the value. And I would definitely recommend to Friends/Family.

Like myself and perhaps many other people out there, that are
brand new to VR World, it is very hard to anticipate what to expect from the VR
World.

Here’s my first impressions;

Quality/Image/Video:

I think its like watching a 480i-720i quality video/image but
in a immerse way (quality varies from games and apps).  You can definitely see pixels on the image/video.
But I find it soooo fun because you are sooo immerse in the experience. I just really
hope that this quality will get better in VR world soon.

Now, I can’t really compare how the Rift/Vive versus the GO,
but from what I’ve read and heard, that the GO actually have better image
quality?? IS THIS RIGHT?

Any feedback is appreciate it!. Thank you!

Well i'm a newbie on the VR world too. The thing with RIFT/Vive it's that it's not only the headset expensive, you need a computer with power to run it smoothly, therefore you are going to spend around 1.5k~3k dollars...
way too much money (and in my opinion not worth it) 

Once Oculus improve the pixel density of the device (non visible pixels)  i will buy the new product, until then i'll stay with the GO. 

wannieballbag
Explorer
The image quality is not as good as the Rift (i have both).  The resolution is higher and the screen door effect is less obvious but the Rifts oled panels have much richer deeper colours than the GO.  God rays are more obvious on the Rift but the lenses on the GO create a sort of haze effect instead.  Considering the GO cost less than 10% of my PC+Rift it is extremely impressive. 

Anonymous
Not applicable
I disagree every time I take off the Go and put on the Rift my first thought is I wish the Rift was as sharp / clear as the Go.
The mildly better colour gamut of the Rift does not make up for the large number of god rays, which to me give a haze effect not present on my Go.

The Go's biggest visual issue can be fixed by software apparently but it would over load its mobile computer, and that is the Chromatic aberration when off center viewing.