New To The Forum? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. -- Developers Click Here.

Oculus Go will die without a good motion controller solution...

ScaramooshScaramoosh Posts: 13
NerveGear
 I got my Oculus Go and I’ve come to realise VR sucks without motion controls. Even something as simple as the Move controllers vastly improve it. I don’t need roomscale, but I do need the ability to use both hands freely. 

The controller sent with the headset is so bad, it’s limiting the headset and I’m thinking of returning the unit it’s so bad. I did think it would at least be as good as the WiiMote.... it cannot even do that, so basic games like ping pong are impossible. 

Oculus really need a proper motion controller solution for the headset, without it I think it’s just going to die. I doubt it would take much to just have a battery powered IR blaster and simple tracking like the Wii. 

Comments

• Atmos73Atmos73 Posts: 3,004 Valuable Player
    Oculus are already working on Santa Cruz with twin 6DoF controllers and far better GPU. There’s no release date yet but we should hear a lot more at OC5 in October. 

GO was a GearVR replacement and probably about 12 months too late. Launching GO and Santa Cruz so close together is a mistake imo.
    DK2 owner - Vive owner - Pimax 8k backer
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 10,823 Power Poster
     I got my Oculus Go and I’ve come to realise VR sucks without motion controls. Even something as simple as the Move controllers vastly improve it. I don’t need roomscale, but I do need the ability to use both hands freely. 

The controller sent with the headset is so bad, it’s limiting the headset and I’m thinking of returning the unit it’s so bad. I did think it would at least be as good as the WiiMote.... it cannot even do that, so basic games like ping pong are impossible. 

Oculus really need a proper motion controller solution for the headset, without it I think it’s just going to die. I doubt it would take much to just have a battery powered IR blaster and simple tracking like the Wii. 

It sounds like you need something like the Rift instead. I wouldn't jump the shark and claim that GO is going to die without motion controllers lol. Afterall, GearVR functions the exact same way and sold over 6 million copies. 

I have the GO and the Rift, and I find them both to be splendid devices for their uses.

If you don't want to spend the extra money on a PC that can power the Rift, then you may want to wait a few more months for the release of the Oculus Santa Cruz. It's a stand-alone similar to GO, but with motion controllers.
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
    edited May 25
    Atmos73 said:
    GO was a GearVR replacement and probably about 12 months too late. Launching GO and Santa Cruz so close together is a mistake imo.

GO is not a GearVR replacement; it has never been marketed as such. In fact, it has been marketed as the opposite.

12 months too late makes no sense since you yourself have often (and recently) stated that VR isn't selling very well. You even proclaim that "half of the Gear VR units were given away for free." Based on all your previous statements, there's obviously a huge market (hundreds of millions of consumers) for the Oculus GO.

Also, HTC did the same thing (you do own a Vive, remember?) by recently launching their own version of GO: Vive Focus. Do you think HTC is 12 months too late with Vive Focus?

Launching GO and Santa Cruz close together makes no difference since they target completely different groups of consumers. Refer to Apple, Microsoft, and Amazon as great examples of multi-tiered product offering organizations.
    Vive Focus is nothing like GO - it’s more like Santa Cruz. Today Vive Focus gets a controller upgrade converting it from 3DoF to 6DoF with the promise of Hand tracking using its front cameras as the OP suggests GO seriously lacks.

While Vive Focus is already in the wild Santa Cruz still has s few months to go.

Lets see how this all pans out. 
    edited May 25
    Vive Focus and GO and similar in many areas. Each has pro's and con's over the other:

Regardless of the similarities and differences, the point is that they are both in the same market: Stand-Alone headsets. So if GO is too late to the market, then so is everyone else.

Although the fact that VR is still selling low globally (10's of millions instead of hundreds of millions) is a very strong indicator that no one is "too late" to the VR market. Not to mention that both versions of GO are on Amazon's top rankings (and one version is tagged as an Amazon Choice Product). These are not hallmarks of something that is too late to the market.

While it's overall impact on the market is still yet to be seen (it's entirely possible that it could undersell after a year), for now GO has been very well received; with high praises from Engadget and a perfect 10/10 score from Tom's Hardware.

The Oculus Go is the most convenient and comfortable VR headset ever made. That might sound like hyperbole, but it's well deserved.

https://www.engadget.com/2018/05/01/oculus-go-review/

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/oculus-go-standalone-vr-headset,5597.html

Oculus Go Standalone VR Headset Review: Convenient VR For The Masses

Santa Cruz will have some touch competition since indeed Vive Focus is currently on the market. The difference will likely come from the Storefront experience. Vive Focus is tied directly to HTC's "VivePort" which has been struggling for years; whereas SC will be tied to Oculus Home - a storefront with growing success and award winning titles.

2018 will be an interesting year for VR.
  • ScaramooshScaramoosh Posts: 13
    NerveGear
    edited May 25
    The Go is an attempt at VR for the masses, the problem is it’s impressing no one. I’ve give it to people at work to try this morning and they all say it sucks. It all comes down to the controller being so limiting. 

I know this this myself because I own a Rift and it’s the motion controls that make it. I own a PSVR as well and even those move controllers are enough to make you feel immersed. 

Without motion controls, it’s not VR IMO. Tbh it’s possible for GO to get them released separately, there is no limiting factor there other than them wanting to get initial cost down. 

I also wish’d It was USB C and not Micro frigging USB.

That feeling of being able to have two hands in the game is amazing. It’s what sold me on VR with the Rift Touch controls, it is 100 percent necessary as the screen and lenses are...
    Just wait for Santa Cruz and pretend GO never happened. 
    The Go is an attempt at VR for the masses, the problem is it’s impressing no one. I’ve give it to people at work to try this morning and they all say it sucks. It all comes down to the controller being so limiting.

According to the reviews, online posters, and YouTube... it seems to be impressing some people. Maybe not everyone, but certainly more than "no one."

The people you claim to have given GO to say that it "sucks" due to the controller? So these are people who must have tried VR before from a higher level platform then, right? Like a Rift, or Vive, or PSVR, or WMR?

Because it isn't very believable that someone who has never tried VR before would believe that GO sucks due to a lack of hand-controllers. How would they know the difference if they never tried VR in the first place?

GO can't track controllers in the way you are describing. Asking for it repeatedly isn't going to make the headset suddenly sprout sensors. You are obviously not the proper consumer for GO; so either wait for Santa Cruz or invest in any other competitor products that actually have the tracking you seek.

• bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 3,000 Valuable Player

I know this this myself because I own a Rift and it’s the motion controls that make it. I own a PSVR as well and even those move controllers are enough to make you feel immersed. 

Without motion controls, it’s not VR IMO. Tbh it’s possible for GO to get them released separately, there is no limiting factor there other than them wanting to get initial cost down. 

I also wish’d It was USB C and not Micro frigging USB.

That feeling of being able to have two hands in the game is amazing. It’s what sold me on VR with the Rift Touch controls, it is 100 percent necessary as the screen and lenses are...
    Interesting perspective. Everyone I have spoke with love their go esp for the cash
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
  • bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 3,000 Valuable Player
    Atmos73 said:
    Just wait for Santa Cruz and pretend GO never happened. 
    The problem is price. Go is £200. This puts it in impulse buy territory for little Jimmy's mum for a birthday present etc who know little about vr. I also would not be surprised if it drops another £50 when SC comes out.
    SC OTOH is going to be what.... £400, £450?. For that wedge most people I think would need to know a bit about vr rather than jump in blindly on a whim. 
    I expect most of us here would prefer an SC over a Go.... But we are not really the target for the go (and yet despite that some rifters have STILL gotten one and are happy with it, which imo is a shining endorsement indeed).
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
     we are not really the target for the go (and yet despite that some rifters have STILL gotten one and are happy with it, which imo is a shining endorsement indeed).

Exactly. Rifters across multiple outlets openly talk about how pleased they are with the Oculus GO as a companion device. This week, for example, I've been using my GO more than my Rift because work has been kicking my butt - and during busy weeks I can't justify going full "Enter Rift." But it's crazy fun and easy to jump in GO for a quick session between meetings or during coding breaks.

I do agree that the OP is clearly looking for a Santa Cruz since he wants all-in-one with tracked-controllers. Despite the OP's doomsday rhetoric, he is a shining example of the fact that there are 3 consumer markets for the Facebook-Oculus VR product-line:

• edmgedmg Posts: 1,070
    Wintermute
    edited May 25
    The Go is an attempt at VR for the masses, the problem is it’s impressing no one.
    It's impressing me, and I also own a Rift and a Vive. I've used my Rift for about an hour since the Go arrived last Monday, because the Go display is better and it's far more convenient to use.

I've been surprised by how well it works with only  3DOF controller. My only real complaint so far is the constant need to recharge it.
    edmg said:
    The Go is an attempt at VR for the masses, the problem is it’s impressing no one.
    It's impressing me, and I also own a Rift and a Vive. I've used my Rift for about an hour since the Go arrived last Monday, because the Go display is better and it's far more convenient to use.

I've been surprised by how well it works with only  3DOF controller. My only real complaint so far is the constant need to recharge it.

This vid has a good recommendation for a charger to give a good 14 hours of extra playtime:

• Rob_In_PhoenixRob_In_Phoenix Posts: 258
    Nexus 6

Why in the world would you EVER buy a GO when you require a 6DOF system?  There is a plethora of information in this forum very specific to the GO's capabilities and the targeted use cases.  Not to mention countless online reviews and youtube vids showing the device and explaining everything it can and can't do.

If you didn't do proper research prior to your purchase, you can only blame yourself and not the device.

• nalex66nalex66 Posts: 4,053 Power Poster

Its ease of use, low price, and built-in browser (including private mode) make it ideal for consumption of web-delivered VR media of all types.
    i7 5820K 4.25 GHz | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair LPX 32GB DDR4 3000 | Corsair Hydro H100i | Corsair HX750
    EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Samsung 850 Evo SSD 1 TB | Samsung 840 Evo SSD 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3TB
    My Oculus Medium sketchbook thread, and my Oculus Medium Gallery
  • ElkeBElkeB Posts: 13
    NerveGear
    Au contraire. I for one am impressed (being a VR newbie, absolutely green). I like the Go and honestly I would not have bought it if it were more expensive. 
  • burning.airlinesburning.airlines Posts: 62
    Hiro Protagonist
    It's impressing me.  I, like the rest of the masses, have never used a Rift or any other modern VR headset.  All of them are too expensive to even consider.  And I'm never going to set up sensors in my TV room.  The Go is a blast if you accept it for what it is:  a new kind of video game console.  Don't think of it as Rift-light.  Think of it as an improved Virtual Boy.
  • NeloDiavoloNeloDiavolo Posts: 34
    Brain Burst
    The statement that it impresses no one should read it did not impress you or your coworkers. I was impressed at the higher resolution and improved comfort over my Rift (glasses). The convenience of portability means that I can do casual VR tasks from my couch. I did not miss the full tacking controllers at all. The missus really enjoyed it and she's tried both VR devices. Recently I showed the Go to my buddy who's never put on a VR headset before, not even cardboard, and it blew his mind!

For the price the Go does not need full motion as it's just a tool to get VR to the masses. It's a casual experience and the single controller is easy to pickup and Go. *bad pun intended*

• FailrunnerFailrunner Posts: 121
    Art3mis
    edited May 25
    Oh yeah well I put the Go on my cats head and she didn't pur! So obviously it sucks! Oh wait I don't have a cat. =/
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 4,032 Poster of the Week
    edited May 25
    Do your co workers have other VR devices? I ask because most people who haven't experienced VR in some form are usually always fascinated by it. People I've spoken with in chat apps always seem well impressed by the Oculus GO. If they included the controllers it would become Santa Cruz and will cost more money. Oculus Go is the entry level to a VR experience..
    Wintermute
    edited May 25
    Oh wait I don't have a cat. =/
    I keep meaning to buy that 'virtual cat' game, too :).
  • ScaramooshScaramoosh Posts: 13
    NerveGear
    edmg said:

The Go display is not better... what are you smoking? The Rift is a lot clearer, anything off axis is still in focus and there is no chromatic effects... which with the Go, anything not in the middle is blurry and has that chromatic rainbow effect. 

Also the Go is really uncomfortable thanx to the crap strap, it doesn't follow your head movements properly, all videos have a weird scale because it doesn't know where you are. 

The Xbox One controller doesn't work with anything and the controller packed in sucks.

How does anyone think this thing is good? It's not even worth 99, let alone 199.
  • burning.airlinesburning.airlines Posts: 62
    Hiro Protagonist
    Scaramoosh said:

How does anyone think this thing is good? It's not even worth 99, let alone 199.
    They have different tastes than you.
  • MradrMradr Posts: 2,400 Poster of the Week
    edited May 26
    This guy bought the rift last year as well and said it was crap. I don't think this guy understands what he is buying and adtemp to make up for it - post that it all sucks. I'm not sure I follow why he got a GO and then complains about it knowing full well how it stacks up to the CV1. It makes no sense to me.

If they "suck" it's because you are doing something wrong - not the other way around really. A controller can't just "suck" im sorry either you are miss using the product or have higher expectations than what vr can do right now. VR is not at the nerve gear level yet and you will just have to wait another 20 years before we even see anything like that.

https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/comment/538962#Comment_538962
    Wintermute
    The Go display is not better... what are you smoking? 
    Higher resolution, less SDE (though it's a bit more annoying due to the square pattern), minimal god rays.

I never finished watching a movie with my Rift. I've watched several with the Go.
  • HanoverHanover Posts: 542
    Neo
    I've been a Rift user since the CE launch...and I still love the Oculus Go.  Sure, it doesn't do everything my Rift does, but I knew that when I ordered it.  It's great to have an HMD that I can just grab and go while sitting in my recliner. Its a lot more convenient than the Gear VR without the overheating and fumbling around with the phone.

• denodandenodan Posts: 17
    NerveGear
    Atmos73 said:
    Oculus are already working on Santa Cruz with twin 6DoF controllers and far better GPU. There’s no release date yet but we should hear a lot more at OC5 in October. 

It's not a replacement for the gear vr. Got an s8-s9, no heating issues at all  sd support with the gear vr means much more memory, either Go just does not have enough memory and the gear VR can play cardboard apps and games.

Some apps in the Oculus require GPS for the apps to work as the go does not have GPS.

The gear has many advantages over the go, so would not dismiss the gear vr.

There are some apps on the gear vr oculus store that are not in the go store.

I have both gear VR and the go, but gear vr with the s9 or s9, blows the go out of the water as far as memory goes and it's only memory limits the go's usefulness.
  • inovatorinovator Posts: 1,230
    Wintermute
    As a heavy rift user, I believe the go is amazing. It has really cut into my rift time. for me it's much better for media and movies. Even certain games are more enjoyable without the chord.I had 30 minutes to kill the other day and used the go. No way would I have used the rift for that short of time with the setup to do 1st.