New To The Forum? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. -- Developers Click Here.

Carmack: New 5K × 5K Mobile VR Playback

ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 11,389 Power Poster
edited May 26 in General

Another great thing for GO owners to look forward to enjoying: 5Kx5K viewing!
(Or 10K for you Pimax fans)

This is great news for Gear VR owners as well.

John Carmack, Oculus’ CTO, has revealed work on a new VR video playback technology which he says is coming to Oculus Go and newer Gear VR phones.
https://www.roadtovr.com/carmack-oculus-5k-x-5k-mobile-vr-playback-henry-re-release/

Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
Tagged:

Comments

• MAC_MAN86MAC_MAN86 Posts: 826
    Trinity
    Wow I really hope we get upscale for the Rift in retrospect too.
  • Hiro_Protag0nistHiro_Protag0nist Posts: 4,379 Valuable Player
    "Basically, it makes a 2k x 2k baseline, then extracts the core 5k x 2k section (1k from each eye) and cuts it into 10 segments, of which only three plus the baseline are decoded at one time. Vsync locked frame release + low latency fast-path Audio 360 spatialization."

I knew as soon as i saw the 5k x 5k announcement that this must be what he is doing.   :D

Rapid progress - fantastic news and just gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling for the near future. 
  • MowTinMowTin Posts: 966
    3Jane
    If they can render video frames at 5k x 5k, what's stops them from rendering frames from a 3D game? Is it that they're buffering?  
    Anybody tried Henry yet?  I believe it is now in the store.
  • danknugzdanknugz Posts: 1,987
    3Jane
    MowTin said:
    If they can render video frames at 5k x 5k, what's stops them from rendering frames from a 3D game? Is it that they're buffering?  
    probably because its just static images and nothing has to be actually drawn?
    A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
    Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
    A: Top-posting.
    Q: What is the most annoying thing on forums?
  • LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 5,484 Volunteer Moderator
    edited June 13
    danknugz said:
    MowTin said:
    probably because its just static images and nothing has to be actually drawn?

Dank is correct here, video is just that, encoded position of pixels and their colours. Like an LP with it's groves, nothing is generated, it's just played back.

Rendering a game frame is vastly more complicated, here is a nice breakdown on how every frame of a GTAV happens, all the layers, passes etc, now this happens 120 frames/times a second on a high end GPU, not including, physics, sound, AI etc.

Let that sink in.

http://www.adriancourreges.com/blog/2015/11/02/gta-v-graphics-study/

Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
  • DeadlyJoeDeadlyJoe Posts: 766
    3Jane
    Anybody tried Henry yet?  I believe it is now in the store.

I've tried it on the Go. It is amazingly clear compared to other 3D video, but it's not perfect.

First, at 60Hz there's still that visible flickering with the Go, which is quite distracting to me. I know that some people say they can't see it, or that it doesn't bother them, but it's really obvious to my eyes and it's hard to ignore.

Second, there are still some minor video compression artifacts in moving screen elements, like Henry himself. These artifacts give the characters a sort of sparkly quality. It's very minimal, however.

Third, in the Henry video there's a near-field perspective problem. It feels like you're sitting in a divot or depression in the center of the room. Near objects, such as the table, the rug beneath you, and the banister behind you, are quite heavily distorted. I don't think that this is endemic of the video system, but rather it's a problem with how they rendered the 3D scene.

All in all, these are all relatively minor problems, especially when you consider the huge leap in quality that this video makes over the previous technologies. Is this 3D video perfect? No. But it's getting really, really close.

• cyberealitycybereality Posts: 25,400 Oculus Staff
    This looks amazing. Make sure you download the app to see how good the quality is. You can also stream the movie in Oculus Video and the difference in picture quality is night and day.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
    This looks amazing. Make sure you download the app to see how good the quality is. You can also stream the movie in Oculus Video and the difference in picture quality is night and day.
    Yeah, It looks almost real-time, tiny compression artefact here and there, but WOW, I was not expecting this to get so good so fast.
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Great to hear it's such a large improvement!
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 4,385 Valuable Player
    Sounds great, but I'm not sure what this will be used for? Will this be used for things like movies or just things like Henry? I'm not at all familiar with what any of this new tech is capable of doing..
    edited June 13
    @RedRizla It can be used to greatly increase the quality of 360 video.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 3,022 Power Poster
    Is this the same Henry that is about 1.3 Gb on the store?

System Specs: GTX 1080 ti , i7 4790K CPU, 16 GB RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
    Yeah, it's 1.3GB. I should note it's more about reducing the rendering overhead and bandwidth, the file size can still be large (I edited my post).
    It really is night and day, a layman person would not distinguish it from a real-time graphics engine version of Henry.

• Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 3,022 Power Poster
    Is this using some form of foveted rendering because if I look at the door, then snap to Henry quickly, you can see it loading the detail. Still very sharp image.

System Specs: GTX 1080 ti , i7 4790K CPU, 16 GB RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
    Is this using some form of foveted rendering because if I look at the door, then snap to Henry quickly, you can see it loading the detail. Still very sharp image.
    Kind of, imagine the image is projected inside of a cube, that cube is divided into sections, depending where you look those sections stream higher quality video, the stuff behind you is streamed low res, kind of if you had a wall of TV's and only the ones you are looking at had a sharper image, the TV's behind you would be SD