RIP Alan Bean — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

RIP Alan Bean

Techy111Techy111 Posts: 6,168 Volunteer Moderator
A true inspiration passed today. Apollo 12 astronaut and a fantastic artist. Rest easy good Sir = https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Bean
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

Tagged:

Comments

• Digikid1Digikid1 Posts: 1,920 Valuable Player
     :( 
  • Techy111Techy111 Posts: 6,168 Volunteer Moderator
    Richooal said:
    Where has Alan Bean?
    To the moon and back.
    Where IS Alan Bean?
    Beyond all that.

RIP Alan Bean
    Fits perfectly ;)
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

• MAC_MAN86MAC_MAN86 Posts: 2,262
    Wintermute
    RIP Mr Bean - "Bean there. Done that." More than any of us could ever dream.
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 6,749 Valuable Player

B) 
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,268 Valuable Player
    We should have Moon bases by now if we want to guarantee the survival of the human race.  I thought that was the purpose of going to the Moon to eventually build bases..etc. Instead we are now talking about going to Mars, which would be much harder to setup bases on. Anyway that's a different story. R.I P.
    We can't build bases on the Moon, you crazy crazy fool. The light side of the Moon is full of Nazi bases and the dark side of the Moon is full of aliens. There's simply not enough room.

:o 
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

• ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 14,111 Valuable Player
    edited May 2018
    RedRizla said:
    We should have Moon bases by now if we want to guarantee the survival of the human race.  I thought that was the purpose of going to the Moon to eventually build bases..etc. Instead we are now talking about going to Mars, which would be much harder to setup bases on. Anyway that's a different story. R.I P.

We need to go much farther than the Moon to survive. If the Sun explodes or a giant asteroid hits the Earth, the Moon aint gonna save us. We're going to Mars to build bases because doing so allows us to have a "home base" as we explore farther regions of space.

Think of Mars like a "save point" in an RPG.
    :)
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
    We won't be able to build a base on Mars either.

The chances of anything coming from Mars,
    Are a million to one, he said!

• MAC_MAN86MAC_MAN86 Posts: 2,262
    Wintermute
    edited May 2018
    One of Saturn's moons TITAN was an option if we can combat the radiation or Jupiter's EUROPA. Plus the name is cool.

• RichooalRichooal Posts: 1,064
    Wintermute
    MAC_MAN86 said:
    One of Saturn's moons TITAN was an option .................... Plus the name is cool.

Not as cool as the average surface temperature of -170 C
    i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - 0 PROBLEMS
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,268 Valuable Player
    edited May 2018
    Zenbane said:
    RedRizla said:

We need to go much farther than the Moon to survive. If the Sun explodes or a giant asteroid hits the Earth, the Moon aint gonna save us. We're going to Mars to build bases because doing so allows us to have a "home base" as we explore farther regions of space.

Think of Mars like a "save point" in an RPG.
    :)

I wasn't thinking about the Sun or Astroids. I think we need saving from ourselves, because if anythings going to destroy this planet it's highly likely it will be use, that's if we forget about Astroids and other such things like the Sun.

snowdog said:
    We won't be able to build a base on Mars either.

The chances of anything coming from Mars,
    Are a million to one, he said!

Yes, but it's predicted who ever goes to Mars, it's going to be a one way trip. So the chances of anything coming from Mars is still probably a million to one. I've got to listen to that song again now. Still can't get my head around why it caused so much panic when it was aired LOL. His voice doesn't actually sound like he's broadcasting the news for a start..
  • BrokenSymmetryBrokenSymmetry Posts: 250
    Nexus 6
    edited May 2018
    A base on the Moon would be expensive (all resources must be supplied by the Earth), and pointless, since it is too close to the Earth. It would be nothing more than a very expensive experiment.

A base on the Mars would be self-sustainable, and is far enough from the Earth in case some big rock scratches it.