BBC to Show World Cup in VR — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

BBC to Show World Cup in VR

DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 4,718 Valuable Player
edited May 2018 in General

Sounds interesting! It'll be available for the Oculus Go, Gear VR, PlayStation VR, iOS & Android.

Three vantage points will be available, a luxury private box and from a location somewhere behind either goal. 33 games (streamed live) accessed from a dedicated app's VR room.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-44308154

Intel 5820K OC@4Ghz, Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1903 (18362.175)

Comments

• MAC_MAN86MAC_MAN86 Posts: 2,048
    Wintermute
    edited May 2018
    I'd welcome women's Tennis but not Footsie. It's way too corrupt and over paid and full of drama queens falling over and all.

• RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,023 Valuable Player
    Just read about it on the link you put up. I wish people would stop saying VR has slowed up due it maybe been a gimmick. This just isn't true, it's the resolution that is holding VR back at the moment for events like this. I'd love to sit in a box in the stadium somewhere if the resolution was as good as even a 1080 screen. Gimmick my arse. Stop saying that will you..
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 4,718 Valuable Player
    Yeah, I expect the people in the BBC who are responsible for producing the app don't see it as a gimmick, anyway I've stopped taking those comments too seriously.

This is tempting me to try out the Go., streaming events will probably become common.
    Intel 5820K OC@4Ghz, Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1903 (18362.175)
    Will the app be on that Site for Oculus Rift, or doesn't it include Oculus Rift?
  • JD-UKJD-UK Posts: 2,289 Valuable Player
    edited May 2018
    As long as they don't force crap female commentators on us.... like with the rugby. Whoever did that should be sacked.

Equal opportunity my arse - we want someone who does the job well.

• bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 3,802 Valuable Player
    edited May 2018

Sounds interesting! It'll be available for the Oculus Go, Gear VR, PlayStation VR, iOS & Android.

Three vantage points will be available, a luxury private box and from a location somewhere behind either goal. 33 games (streamed live) accessed from a dedicated app's VR room.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-44308154

no rift?  seriously?  FFS!
    edit... not that it matters, at 600m from the exchange i only get 20mb broadband on a good day.... half what is reccomended.

Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)

Yeah, no Rift it seems.

I'd like to know what the reasons would be for that. I mean there are obvious benefits to media viewing on Go compared to Rift because of comfort, resolution and optics. But what are the dev reasons? how much more work is required to have a version for Rift as well as Go? Surely not much.

Are there any Oculus roadblocks? Is this thought of as a Go selling point so any hinderance on licencing for both? or maybe just lack of encouragement for a Rift version?

• Atmos73Atmos73 Posts: 3,128 Valuable Player
    Goes to show how Rift has now become a secondary device to mobile. Good for GO.

I’ll bewatching the World Cup on my projector with my friends and family. 
    DK2 owner - Vive owner - Pimax 8k backer - Waiting for Knuckles on Valve time.
  • Hiro_Protag0nistHiro_Protag0nist Posts: 4,757 Valuable Player
    Brixmis said:
    As long as they don't force crap female commentators on us.... like with the rugby. Whoever did that should be sacked.

Equal opportunity my arse - we want someone who does the job well.

Unlucky.  It's the BBC.
    edited May 2018
    Atmos73 said:

You may as well say the Go has made the Vive a secondary device as that isn't listed as being supported by the proposed app. But then that's not your agenda.

Media streaming has been a mobile device enclave from the start, the Olympics and NFL game streaming were both Gear VR exclusives so Go inclusion in the line-up doesn't really go to show the Rift becoming anything different than it was before the GO. This is more likely a licencing thing.

But thanks for trying to turn this into yet another anti-Rift thread.

edited May 2018
    Atmos73 said:

no vive/windows MR version either @Atmos73 ... if anything it shows how PC VR full stop is 2nd fiddle to mobile/console VR... which is something we should all universally been complaining about on this forum.  Surely we can be united about this and not using it to try to score points?

edit... ninja'd by @DaftnDirect

@Brixmis Personally I have no problem at all with female pundits, and there are plently of male pundits who i think are either rubbish (Roy keane, Jamie Redknapp and others)

or have been atrociously over paid (Alan Hansen )

Gabby Yorath (Logan) knows her stuff and i would have no problem her doing some punditry and I actually think some of the women footballers present well and could easily do the job.  ie someone like Rachel Yankey I think would make a very good pundit.

Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
    Atmos73 said:

no vive/windows MR version either @Atmos73 ... if anything it shows how PC VR full stop is 2nd fiddle to mobile/console VR... which is something we should all universally been complaining about on this forum.  Surely we can be united about this and not using it to try to score points?

Nah, just 2 different platforms for 2 different things - we've all said that all along.  The Rift and Vive are for gaming - tied to a PC.  The Go is mobile and is just perfect for consuming media.

And, this is amazing news.  I'm quite sure i asked for this just the other week.  You just missed out on the Wedding of the year and the FA Cup, Oculus!

But i'll still be buying a Go because of this   B)
    You just missed out on the Wedding of the year
    I will some how get over this... not sure how, but i will cope ;)
    I'm just wondering how I can give the Go a try before buy... before the World Cup starts. Wish Oculus would give a date for UK store availability. I mean I know it's good but I just need to justify the purchase with a try-out.
  • Atmos73Atmos73 Posts: 3,128 Valuable Player
    Well I’m damned if I mention Vive and I’m damned if I don’t. 

Anyway I don’t think watching football in VR is a good thing full stop. 

DK2 owner - Vive owner - Pimax 8k backer - Waiting for Knuckles on Valve time.
    No, you're damned for trying to turn as many threads into an argument as you possibly can.
    Atmos73 said:

It's amazing Atmos - you can turn around to face the crowd and pretend you're one of the marshals!    :D
    Hang on, looking at the image in the first post - is the football going to be in 360 or just on a screen?  When i've watched football before in VR has been 360 (i think).

I believe that's just the lobby where you gain access to the vantage points.

Would be cool if that lobby was also showing a big-screen live stream though.

• JD-UKJD-UK Posts: 2,289 Valuable Player
    Atmos73 said:

@Brixmis Personally I have no problem at all with female pundits, and there are plently of male pundits who i think are either rubbish (Roy keane, Jamie Redknapp and others)

or have been atrociously over paid (Alan Hansen )

Gabby Yorath (Logan) knows her stuff and i would have no problem her doing some punditry and I actually think some of the women footballers present well and could easily do the job.  ie someone like Rachel Yankey I think would make a very good pundit.

Doesn't make a difference - if you read my post, it doesn't say I have anything against female commentators in general - just the ones that are given the job primarily because they are female and not because they are good at it.

At least twice last year I had to watch international rugby games where England were playing, with the sound muted because whoever the Doris was thet they let "commentate" (and I use the word advisedly) was complete rubbish. I couldn't believe the complete crap that she was coming out with. She sounded like she was describing a tiddley-winks or lawn bowling match. I don't know who it was, but it sounded very much like that one that's always trying to stir up trouble in the F1 paddock - can't remember her name. She should stick to that because she is nowhere near good enough at ruggers commentary - especially important international games.

These days we call them the BimBoSee (as in Bimbo See, Bimbo Do...).

edited May 2018
    Gabby's excellent... she knows her stuff but also has a relaxed way with fellow pundits, much like Gary Lineker. Less keen on Dan Walker who's been on Football Focus a lot, he's ok but just tries to be funny a bit too much... not keen on Steve Jones on Channel 4's F1 coverage for the same reason, more so.
    Just needs a small thin line of mods.
    edited May 2018
    A thin line of mods, a Hollands pie and a flask of tea.

This could actually work!

I think it's back on!
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 6,571 Valuable Player
    Atmos73 said:

You knew full well what you were doing.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • Techy111Techy111 Posts: 5,799 Volunteer Moderator
    Suzy Perry off the telly you talking about @Brixmis ? Coz she is utter shite  :D Sky F1 have some great woman pundits like Natalie Pinkham who really knows her shit :)
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

edited May 2018
    I liked Adrian Chiles, he had a dry sense of humour and wasn't boring like some people suggested. He didn't put on an act either like his replacement does. He seemed to care about England matches instead of putting on the disappointed act like the guy who does it now. This guy just seems to be an actor..

I remember Adrien Chiles when he was the BBC's financial expert for several years, very capable.
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 6,571 Valuable Player
    Martin Keown has to be the worst co-commentator EVER. Particularly with United matches, Steve McManaman isn't much better either when it comes to the Red Devils. So many ex-Arsenal and ex-Liverpool players with a clear anti-United agenda.

Trevor Francis is pretty bad too (in terms of his ability to commentate, he doesn't have an agenda against United). I can't hear his voice without hearing Ian Drury And The Blockheads' Clever Trevor song that Hawksbee and Jacobs used to play on their show 20 years ago on Talksport. The man really is as thick as pig shite and they used to take the piss out of him every day along with an impressionist. It was hilarious lol :D
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
    edited May 2018
    Martin Tyler has to be one of the best commentators. Phil Neville is a close second hahahaha..