New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Overload VR

MowTinMowTin Posts: 1,175
Wintermute
Looks fun

Comments

• BeastyBaiterBeastyBaiter Posts: 764
    3Jane
    I grabbed it in very EA last year, only had a couple levels in but was fun. Just reinstalled it to try it again now that it's officially out.
  • LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,650 Volunteer Moderator
    This looks like a Descent clone from the 90's

Used to play it a lot, man it has not aged well
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    This game looks great. Not sure I'd want to play in VR, but I'll give it a shot.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • MowTinMowTin Posts: 1,175
    Wintermute
    edited June 2018

It's intended to look like Descent. It's made by the same people who created Descent. 
  • LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,650 Volunteer Moderator
    MowTin said:

It's intended to look like Descent. It's made by the same people who created Descent. 
    Ahhhhh! ... That makes sense! 

I will check it out regardless, I really enjoyed the game as a kid.
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 1,528 Valuable Player
    edited June 2018
    Forcing super-sampling 2.0 Overload Playable Teaser was more demanding than the hardware requirements seemed to indicate. Does the final version appear to be more optimized? 

I'm still not - at all - happy about using a gamepad in VR. It should be easy to support Touch controllers, would be fine if Touch worked just like the gamepad. And it would be awesome with proper Touch controls, maybe kinda like Valkyrie (Warzone) - it would take so little to make Overload in VR one of the most amazing VR experiences, again developers fail to implement proper VR controls, sigh. 

Developers have mentioned that the game is out on Steam and GOG. But so far it's not on GOG. Maybe tomorrow... 
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz boost, 11 Ghz ram); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Oculus Rift CV1 - nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz boost, 11 Ghz ram); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Oculus Rift CV1 - nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

• cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    I bought the game. I liked Descent, but I really loved Forsaken. Hoping it's that good.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • ElusiveMarlinElusiveMarlin Posts: 196
    Art3mis
    edited June 2018
    Descent was a brilliant game at its time.  I remember many an office LAN party after work where a bunch of us would stay back and play Descent for hours!!

Will give it a try, but I have a feeling I will "chuck-up" playing in VR though!! :-(
    Intel Core i7 8700K 3.7GHz | RAM 32GB DDR4 2666MHz | GeForce GTX 1080 8GB |
    240GB SATA III SSD | 3TB HDD | 867Mbps Built-in Wi-Fi

"Behind every mask there is a face, and behind that a story...."
    3Jane
    I've gotten through the first few levels. It's ok in VR but definitely intended for mouse + kb (tried both gamepad and HOTAS + pedals). And no, the touch controllers don't work. For better or worse, it is a straight 1990's game with modern-ish graphics. I suppose it's a fun little retro throwback, but it isn't something I can be bothered to play more than 1 level of per sitting before feeling the desire to go do something else.
    Wintermute
    I'm getting poor performance in this game. It's playable but it's not ultra smooth like it should be for such basic graphics. 

I went on the forums and found other VR users having the same issue. 

https://steamcommunity.com/app/448850/discussions/0/1696048879941977212/

I'll keep the game but I'll put it down until it's patched. I have my plate full with Skyrim VR which is butter smooth and addictive. 

One thing I like about Overload VR is that it's one of the few games you can play with a Hotas with plenty of quality singleplayer action. 
    edited June 2018
    I think Overload is part of a new evil conspiracy trying to move Rift users from Oculus Home to Steam  :D Normally I'd rarely use Steam, but Doom VFR, Fallout 4, Skyrim VR and now Overload are really big Steam magnets and that evil Force is starting to pull me in :#

New Steam VR poster?

I really think Oculus should do a great effort to secure games like Overload on the Oculus platform - and maybe they tried but failed. Moss is simply awesome, but it's been some time since I bought a newly released great (first person) shooter game in the Oculus Store/Home. Oculus should be careful not to be slowly poisoning the well with mediocre games and apps. 

• WildtWildt Posts: 1,605
    Project 2501
    @MowTin - have you tried the new patch? I'm hoping someone could report whether it improved performance before I break the 2 hour game time and forfeit refund.
    Asus Z370-A ||  Watercooled 8700K || 16 GB gSkill ram 3200 || Samsung SSD 840PRO 256GB + 850PRO 256GB + 850EVO 500GB || Watercooled FE Geforce 1080ti || Zalman Reserator XT watercooler || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3 || Asus ROG PG279Q  G-sync monitor
    Project 2501
    I've gotten through the first few levels. It's ok in VR but definitely intended for mouse + kb (tried both gamepad and HOTAS + pedals). And no, the touch controllers don't work. For better or worse, it is a straight 1990's game with modern-ish graphics. I suppose it's a fun little retro throwback, but it isn't something I can be bothered to play more than 1 level of per sitting before feeling the desire to go do something else.
    I found the gamepad controls pretty good actually. 1.5 hours flew by for me, but then the framerate went to shit, and I stopped.
    Asus Z370-A ||  Watercooled 8700K || 16 GB gSkill ram 3200 || Samsung SSD 840PRO 256GB + 850PRO 256GB + 850EVO 500GB || Watercooled FE Geforce 1080ti || Zalman Reserator XT watercooler || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3 || Asus ROG PG279Q  G-sync monitor
    Project 2501
    Right, gave the patch a go - still runs like shit. Refund requested.
    3Jane
    Wildt said:
    Out of curiosity, what are your system's specs?
    Project 2501
    Wildt said:
    Out of curiosity, what are your system's specs?
    Check my sig
    Overload VR is awesome, but I think Unity is taking its toll - I'd recommend disabling the VR cockpit, it's not really needed and it frees up a lot of resources. If you're having a hangover from New Year's Eve, I'd recommend not playing Overload today - or at least now you've been warned  o:)   :D

Get Overload VR here for less than €9: 

https://www.allkeyshop.com/blog/buy-overload-cd-key-compare-prices/

• GeekyGamiGeekyGami Posts: 103
    Art3mis
    edited January 1
    Please support the devs, make sure the keys you're getting aren't getting them in shit.

I've played OverLoad for over 88 hours at this point, and I only play it in VR.
    I absolutely love it.

The reason it looks like a Descent clone is that it's basically Descent 4.

The devs who worked on it were the original devs for Descent 1, 2 and FreeSpace.
    They regrouped after Interplay kicked the bucket and sold the Descent IP.

(The reason I've so much time spent is that I play custom singleplayer maps on top of CM)
    edited January 2
    Seems like the performance in Overload VR is quite low - much like Seeking Dawn. I had to lower super sampling (ss) in SteamVR for Overload to 50 % (= ss 1.0) to get perfect 90 fps, maybe ss 1.2 will work too, but ss 1.4 occasionally dips below 90 fps (using heavily oc'ed GTX 1080 even with antialiasing disabled). I've tried to check all settings, but even on low settings there's stuttering. So I don't think Overload is greatly optimized for VR, which even owners of 1080 Ti video cards can confirm:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/448850/discussions/0/1696048879941977212/

Excerpts:

1: "I'm getting some frame rate drops in a lot of areas in the first three levels. Head motion is fine, but when moving my ship I'll notice some pretty bad stuttering when flying around in certain areas. I've dropped all details down to minimum and disabled all shadows and the stutters still happen in the same areas. Not sure what is going on. This is on a 1070 16 gig ram i5 7600 using a Rift. Tried it in both SteamVR and Oculus mode, both have the same problem."

2: "I noticed on the EA version that I had smoother performance if I turned off Asynchronous Reprojection on my 1080ti. Now this did mean I had to lower SS down to 1.0 so I wouldn't experience any frame drops whatsoever without any repro to smooth them out."

3: "I have an i7-6700, 16GB RAM, an Oculus Rift, and a GTX 1080 with the latest drivers, which I installed after encountering the issue, to no effect. I also tried dropping almost all graphics settings to low or off, also to no effect. I have no issues graphically with any other VR game."

I'm having exactly similar fps issues in Overload VR. If Overload VR was smooth as butter and supported Touch, I'd happily pay $30 or more for this game (and get the GOG version) - but sadly that's far from my experience. And the lack of Touch support is a serious problem too - normally I don't support VR games that don't support Touch. 

BTW, on Steam Overload (VR) is 33 % off = $20 (€16.7): https://store.steampowered.com/app/448850/Overload/
    On GOG (no DRM) Overload is now 25 % off: https://www.gog.com/game/overload

In short - performance in Overload may be greatly improved by 1) disabling the cockpit and 2) lower SteamVR super sampling to 50 % (or less if you have GTX 1050 Ti to 1070).

I'll highly recommend supporting this game - and I'm sure that the devs will prefer that users pay something for this still awesome game compared to not buying it at all. 

Project 2501
    I've seen no patch notes since my refund that could indicate VR optimizations, so I'm gonna give it a hard pass due to the weak sauce performance.
  • nroskonrosko Posts: 952
    Neo
    I also picked it up last year in EA. It was also heavy on GPU for some reason. Also the scale was off. I think you can set it up with a hotas but i could never be bothered. 
  • GeekyGamiGeekyGami Posts: 103
    Art3mis
    edited January 4
    You guys say you run it through SteamVR?

Have you perhaps tried using OpenComposite through SteamVR, as opposed to right through to Rift?
    I've found this did a somewhat noticeable difference to playability in some scenarios like loading into chunks.

I'll look into giving the devs some more feedback on the framerate issues.
    If you guys could figure out why it runs poorly, that'd be a step in the right direction, at least.

Ah, are you guys using the simple shading option?
    That changes the shader for invisibility, which helps immensely.
    The game has since moved to a newer version of Unity, and seems to have been running better than it was previously.

Note: There's definitely headroom for supersampling, but I'd avoid SteamVR's supersampling.
    I'd avoid SteamVR entirely. In most games, it causes needless stutter and frame loss.

Don't try to tell me otherwise, I've seen huge performance improvements when using OpenComposite instead.
  • FolkSongFolkSong Posts: 21
    Brain Burst
    Has anyone played Overload lately? It's developed a major issue on my system: from time to time the screen will freeze, showing a single flickering frame. I can hear that the game is still running and responding to controls, but the picture never comes back, I have to exit the game and start it again. This happens after anywhere from 5-60 minutes of gameplay, and there is usually a big framerate stutter right before it happens.

Also re: performance, I tried running it in OpenVR mode with OpenComposite and it actually does run a little better than native Oculus mode! I've seen this in a few Unity games. My specs are i5 4670k and GTX 1080, and I run with no supersampling and mostly reduced settings, but with AA on and high texture resolution. I usually get solid 90 fps, with ASW kicking in seamlessly when needed. With regular SteamVR it runs worse though. But I get the freezing issue regardless of rendering mode.
  • nroskonrosko Posts: 952
    Neo
    I haven't been in it for a while, i could never figure out a good controller setup. 
    Wintermute
    nrosko said:
    I haven't been in it for a while, i could never figure out a good controller setup. 
    Me too. It just didn't work with my HOTAS. I think you need two joysticks or have to use k&m. 

@FolkSong Maybe you can try making sure that Oculus processes and the Steam VR processes and the game are not all crowded on one CPU core. I have that problem with IL-2 where it becomes unplayable. 
  • CrashFuCrashFu Posts: 1,460
    Project 2501
    Hey, I backed this on kickstarter!   And yet, somehow I haven't gotten around to playing it yet, lol.  Soon, I think?  I've been playing Everspace lately, and I feel like there'll be a bit of common ground between the two?

I will say this, though: the devs seem like really good people;  When the GoG version became available, they gave their backers the chance to request free GoG keys (in addition to the steam keys originally offered for the kickstarter rewards).
    Achieving Mass Adoption and improving the quality of entry-level VR is ALWAYS going to take priority over pandering to wealthy tech nerds and their insatiable demand for higher specs.
    Wintermute
    CrashFu said:
    Hey, I backed this on kickstarter!   And yet, somehow I haven't gotten around to playing it yet, lol.  Soon, I think?  I've been playing Everspace lately, and I feel like there'll be a bit of common ground between the two?

I will say this, though: the devs seem like really good people;  When the GoG version became available, they gave their backers the chance to request free GoG keys (in addition to the steam keys originally offered for the kickstarter rewards).
    How is Everspace in VR? I heard that it's better as a 3rd person perspective game. Can you use a joystick?
  • FolkSongFolkSong Posts: 21
    Brain Burst
    @MowTin What would the fix be for the CPU core issue - manually setting the CPU affinity in the device manager?

I just play with a gamepad, it works very well. I would say the game has more in common with first person shooters than flight sims in terms of controls - lots of quick changes of direction and strafing.

@CrashFu I agree the devs are excellent. Just recently they sent backers an additional Steam key to give to a friend. That said, I think it may have been an acknowledgement that they're pretty much abandoning the game. It's clear it didn't sell well beyond the kickstarter. I sent an email about my problem to their official support email but never heard back. So I'm doubtful there will be any more patches if this issue turns out to affect everyone and not just me.
    Wintermute
    FolkSong said:
    @MowTin What would the fix be for the CPU core issue - manually setting the CPU affinity in the device manager?

Yes, that what I do. I think sometimes when you have Steam VR and Oculus VR running at the same time as a game there can be some confusion about which processes are background. But I'm not sure if you're facing the same problem.