New To The Forum? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. -- Developers Click Here.

The World Cup 2018 Thread

snowdogsnowdog Posts: 4,700 Power Poster
Thought we should have one of these.

Who do you think is going to win..?

England of course, you crazy fools :o :D
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever

Comments

• BrixmisBrixmis Posts: 1,678
    Project 2501
    Outer Mongolia

Nah - just kidding, of course.

Whoever pays the most.
    I'm an old duffer - give me a break!

• RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 4,385 Valuable Player
    England quarter finals at best, I think France might win it this time if I'm honest. I won't be watching most of it though. I especially won't be watching those teams that just pass and keep possession without going forward, it bores the hell out of me watching it.
  • Techy111Techy111 Posts: 4,581 Volunteer Moderator
    edited June 3
    Football pah if I wanted to watch a lot of men kicking balls around I'd go to Camden on a Friday night drinking session!!!!
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.
    And FlyInside Forum Admin.
    Flyinside Flight Simulator is coming !!!!! (In Beta)
  • LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 5,484 Volunteer Moderator
    edited June 3
    Techy111 said:
    Football pah if I wanted to watch a lot of men kicking balls around I'd go to Camden on a Friday night drinking session!!!!
    My mind went full gay there for a second.

I read that as: "If I wanted to watch a lot of men tickling balls around I'd go to Camden on a Friday night drinking session!!!!"
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
  • Hiro_Protag0nistHiro_Protag0nist Posts: 4,379 Valuable Player
    Belgium.
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 4,700 Power Poster
    The Argies are 10/1 with Paddy Power, might be worth an each-way bet I reckon. Portugal are 22/1 too. :o
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

• kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 3,777
    Project 2501
    oh and  :D

Image result for no to sports

Yay! I must get this printed and placed in our office.
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 3,736 Valuable Player

@LZoltowski & @kevinw729, I'm going to take you both to next season's Millwall - Aston Villa game and sit you at the Millwall end... in Aston Villa scarves.

My treat.

Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1803 (17134.165)

@LZoltowski & @kevinw729, I'm going to take you both to next season's Millwall - Aston Villa game and sit you at the Millwall end... in Aston Villa scarves.

My treat.

happy good news GIF
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

I had a mate that used to do work the security at Millwall. He had to leave the job because he lost it when a nutter slashed a woman's face with a razor blade in a credit card, aiming for her eye. He grabbed him, poked his eye out and tried bursting the eyeball with punches :o

Bloke was a complete psychopath, and I'm not using that as a figure of speech. He pretty much fits the psychiatric definition. He had to leave the country because he was working on the door in a bar and several of the bouncers basically made a problem customer brain dead. The ironic thing is that he didn't do anything (for once!). He's living in Australia now. He started doing security over there and the police love him to bits - the crime rate dropped once he started beating the shite out of people lol :D :D :D

edited June 3

I don't go to games... just view from the safe distance of my armchair. Last game I went to was several years ago... Derby County - Liverpool. My mum's a Liverpool fan so we thought it would be a fun day out for her!

We sat at the visitors end with our flask of tea and biscuits. There were a few Derby supporters dotted around & one was a couple rows in front of us and got very VERY angry every time a cheer went up for Liverpool, I don't think I've ever seen anyone get that angry before or since. Another lady Derby supporter had to calm him down, I was convinced he was going to wade into us. Funny thing was the bloke next to me was just laughing at him.

Been to a couple US baseball games and you can take your toddlers there without worrying. Well I don't have any so I'd have to take someone else's.

Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1803 (17134.165)
    In all seriousness, I could never get into football, but I dont knock it, as a sport I like to run, do archery, row, and watch any kind of racing ...

I do like to watch rugby tho .... mind you I am not sure if the sport part is my motivation here.  :D

I like a good international Rugby Union game, not keen on League though. I like the old days with proper shirts, not the tight-fit things. Although that probably reflects my preferences there!
  • Techy111Techy111 Posts: 4,581 Volunteer Moderator
    I like a damn good Netball match. My missus loves live Netball on Sky mix and I always say I don't mind watching with her  :D i think she still hasn't twigged that I barely watch the ball going in the net lmao
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.
    And FlyInside Forum Admin.
    Flyinside Flight Simulator is coming !!!!! (In Beta)
    I haven't been to a game for around 17 years or so, I used to know an Old Trafford season ticket holder who used to lend me his season ticket when he couldn't make it to a match. I've lost touch with him now unfortunately. Even if I'm up to leaving my flat I don't do so well in crowds these days because of my anxiety.

I'm waiting for regular appointments with a shrink at the local Loony Bin so hopefully I'll be coping with leaving the flat better after a while.

I still won't be able to see United though because it's a nightmare getting tickets, but I might start watching the yoof and U23 sides play again, I did that a few years back every now and then.

• BrixmisBrixmis Posts: 1,678
    Project 2501
    Currently watching U20 World Cup rugby - great action - faster than regular because they are younger (and smaller) and can run like shit off a shovel.

Plus England are thrashing everyone so far :)
    I'm an old duffer - give me a break!

edited June 5
    Well I just scored a hat-trick in the build up to the World Cup. I've been poster of the weeks for 3 weeks running. That might bring England some luck instead of using Uri Geller..

• bizjerbizjer Posts: 116
    Art3mis
    snowdog said:
    The Argies are 10/1 with Paddy Power, might be worth an each-way bet I reckon. Portugal are 22/1 too. :o
    My usual bet. Have loved them ever since 86. The kit, the dirty play, the sublime genius of their football. I'll be supporting England though if they come up against them. Portugal wont have it in them. Brazil appear to be a lot better than 4 years ago but surely the Germans will have the best bet of taking it.

I don't think Germany will win it this time around. Same manager for to long, so I think most teams will know their tactics by now. 
    The BIG question is who is @vannagirl supporting?!!?!?

We know she speaks Spanish but doesn't necessarily mean that she's from Spain.

Or will she do her future husband's bidding and support England? :o

I can answer one of those questions
    Is it the second one? :smiley:

nuff said!
    So it IS the second one. That makes me happy. B)

I'm having visions of @vannagirl completely nekked apart from an England shirt. <3 <3 <3 <3 <3

edited June 5

to paraphrase Mr Kenobi...

these may not be the answers you're looking for

It's true though!!! You're just jealous of our lurve :love:

• Stryker1000Stryker1000 Posts: 438
    Trinity
    snowdog said:
    So it IS the second one. That makes me happy. B)

I'm having visions of @vannagirl completely nekked apart from an England shirt. <3 <3 <3 <3 <3
    did you remind her that she didn't do me bloody washing again ?!
    Fucking ridiculous.

The joint bid of the US, Mexico and Canada has won the hosting of the 2026 World Cup. Despite the US hosting in 1994, Mexico hosting in 1986 and the vast majority of Canadians not knowing what the fuck a football looks like because it isn't played on fucking ice. :o

So by the time 2026 comes along that would be 60 years since England hosted the World Cup. Unbelievable. :(

What the FUCK do we have to do to get a successful bid ffs?!!?!? :angry:

snowdog said:
    Fucking ridiculous.

The joint bid of the US, Mexico and Canada has won the hosting of the 2026 World Cup. Despite the US hosting in 1994, Mexico hosting in 1986 and the vast majority of Canadians not knowing what the fuck a football looks like because it isn't played on fucking ice. :o

So by the time 2026 comes along that would be 60 years since England hosted the World Cup. Unbelievable. :(

What the FUCK do we have to do to get a successful bid ffs?!!?!? :angry:

Well, we are on a lonely Island, not really anyone we can bid with now :)