New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Using Oculus Rift with my 52 year old eyes?

SkinnyCyclistSkinnyCyclist Posts: 2
NerveGear
edited June 2018 in Oculus Rift S and Rift
I'm really interested in buying Oculus Rift - mainly for playing racing games (PC2, AC RRE etc) - but I'm a bit unsure how it will work with my not so perfect 52 year old eyes... 

I use contact lenses but have far from sharp sight on short distances. I need almost an arms length for reading a magazine or using a tablet for instance. There is also quite a big difference in lens strength between left and right eye. 

Experiences from any of you out there regarding this?

EDIT: Googled that the Rift have a focal distance of 1,5 m - does this mean that if I have a sharp vision on this distance, I'm fine? Sorry for the somewhat banal questions, but this is all new to me...
Tagged:

Comments

• dburnedburne Posts: 2,716 Valuable Player
    edited June 2018
    I myself can not read a thing normally without reading glasses on and was concerned about that when I got my Rift.

After receiving it I was pleased to find it was not an issue for me in VR, did not need reading glasses at all.
    Of course your situation may be very different and may not be the same for you.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
  • kojackkojack Posts: 5,534 Volunteer Moderator

EDIT: Googled that the Rift have a focal distance of 1,5 m - does this mean that if I have a sharp vision on this distance, I'm fine? Sorry for the somewhat banal questions, but this is all new to me...
    Yep, it means your eyes focus as if the screen is 1.5m away. So if you can see clear at that distance in real life, the rift should be fine. That includes virtual objects held close to your face, everything in VR will be at a focal distance of 1.5m.

• snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,042 Valuable Player
    Yup. If you need glasses to see stuff 1.5 meters away then you'll either need glasses, contact lenses or prescription lens inserts (the WidmoVR ones are the best!). If you can see stuff clearly at 1.5 meters away then you'll be fine without them.

And your mind will be blown when you try driving games in VR, especially if you have a steering wheel controller. The resolution isn't great though if you're used to a high res monitor but honestly the immersion of being INSIDE one of these cars as if you're really there more than makes up for it imo.

I'd also highly recommend getting a HOTAS (Hands On Throttle And Stick) too for flying games. Elite Dangerous, War Thunder and DCS World amongst others are also amazing in VR. The Thrustmaster T-Flight X is as cheap as chips and is great value for money.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 5,149 Volunteer Moderator

@SkinnyCyclist, my eyes are 53 years old and sound very similar to yours. It depends how long you think you'll be spending wearing the headset. If you're comfortable focussing at 5ft for an hour or 2 at a time then you should have no problem with the Rift. If your eyes are like mine though, I find long periods of time focussing at a single distance can effect my long distance focussing over a period of weeks or months.

I use an old pair of glasses that are not as strong (not so distant focusing) as my current pair. So are a bit more relaxing on my eyes than my current pair of glasses. I've also taken the step of removing the arms on this old pair and fixing the remaining part inside the Rift so it's as comfortable as wearing contacts (which I don't get on with well).

Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1903 (18362.418)
  • SkinnyCyclistSkinnyCyclist Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    snowdog said:
    ...And your mind will be blown when you try driving games in VR, especially if you have a steering wheel controller. The resolution isn't great though if you're used to a high res monitor but honestly the immersion of being INSIDE one of these cars as if you're really there more than makes up for it imo...

I have a decent set up (and a complete HOTAS flight sim setup in a closet somewhere...;) so now I'm almost convinced! 

Thank you all for the replies.

Once you play these games in VR you won't want to play a sim game flat ever again, despite the lower resolution. Elite Dangerous in particular will blow your mind the first time you see these three things:

1) The inside of your cockpit

2) The inside of a space station

3) The first time you jump out of hyperspace

You know that the ships, space stations, planets, suns and asteroids are big but you really don't 'get it' until you see these things in VR. Those three things above are literally jaw dropping moments the very first time you see them. B)
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

• CGH001CGH001 Posts: 32
    Brain Burst
    I'm like 103 and I  have glasses for general use and separate stronger reading glasses for reading and computer use. Strangely enough, I've found that I don't need any glasses at all when 'rifting' and everything looks good. I've spent a fair bit of time in Project Cars, Asseto Corsa, DCS and Elite Dangerous and they all look good and readable.
  • RattyUKRattyUK Posts: 916
    3Jane
    ^^^ What he said.. .

I'm a few years older than you and find the rift fine.  The focus seems to be whatever your eyes regard as 'distance' as I see perfectly with glasses prescrition for TV watching :)
    PC info: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, MSI MPG X570 Edge, 16GB Tforce Pro Dark DDR4 3200, KFA2 RTX 2080 Super, Samsung 870 Pro M.2, 2x 240GB SSD, 3TB WD Green HDD & 4 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, Antec Modular 750w PSU, custom watercooling loop. (Win 10 Pro & Opensuse Leap 15.1 Linux) 32" AOC 4K Monitor.

Laptop: Aorus X5 V6-CF1 (I7-6820HK, GTX 1070, 2* 256GB M.2 NVME, 1TB 7200 HDD)
  • edmgedmg Posts: 1,149
    Wintermute
    I'm another one who needs reading glasses, and a great thing about VR is I can see everything clearly without them.
  • ElusiveMarlinElusiveMarlin Posts: 271
    Nexus 6
    edited June 2018
    Same here, I'm 47, and need glasses for reading, but have good distance viewing, but do not need any glasses when using the Rift, and I have had a few long sessions without any detriment to my everyday vision.

I class a "long session" as 8 hours straight!   
    That Skyrim is just too good to leave!  :-)

RIFT CV1
    RIFT S

Leeds, UK.

Intel Core i7 8700K 3.7GHz | RAM 32GB DDR4 2666MHz | GeForce GTX 1080 8GB |
    240GB SATA III SSD | 3TB HDD | 867Mbps Built-in Wi-Fi

"Behind every mask there is a face, and behind that a story...."
    I wish I could do 8 hours in Skyrim but can only do an hour or an hour and a half because my back is screwed. Really frustrating. I COULD play sitting down but it's just not the same. :(

• ElusiveMarlinElusiveMarlin Posts: 271
    Nexus 6
    edited June 2018
    I know what you mean @snowdog, I too have a bad back (DDD), but manage about half the time stood up, and have to play some of it sat down!
    RIFT CV1
    RIFT S

Leeds, UK.

Intel Core i7 8700K 3.7GHz | RAM 32GB DDR4 2666MHz | GeForce GTX 1080 8GB |
    240GB SATA III SSD | 3TB HDD | 867Mbps Built-in Wi-Fi

"Behind every mask there is a face, and behind that a story...."
  • SkScotcheggSkScotchegg Posts: 1,231
    Wintermute
    Well, I don't wear glasses and I'm only 34, but my parents are 50 and 60 and they can view this fine and they both wear glasses and my cousin who is 35 wears contacts and he also views it fine.

I showed my parents the Ocean Rift demo and the Oculus Touch demo and they loved both. They had no issues seeing anything. So I really don't think you have anything to worry about.
    UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!
  • RavengerRavenger Posts: 47
    Brain Burst
    I'm 52, got presbyopia, so I can't focus on close up objects. I wear different glasses for computers and distance, and for Rift I have prescription lenses using my distant perscription which work great.

It's strange though, that for Oculus Go I find my distance prescription is a bit more uncomfortable than my computer prescription, possibly due to the fixed IPD.
  • FastForward352FastForward352 Posts: 176
    Art3mis
    snowdog said:
    I wish I could do 8 hours in Skyrim but can only do an hour or an hour and a half because my back is screwed. Really frustrating. I COULD play sitting down but it's just not the same. :(
    I have the same problem and I play with a butt cheek on a bar stool, so I'm almost standing ;)
    Asus X99-A MB | i7 5820K @ 3.30GHz | Asus ROG-STRIX 1080Ti | 32 Gb RAM | SSD SAMSUNG 500Go M-2 |  Samsung 40" 4K Screen | T500RS & TH8A Shifter on Wheel Stand Pro | TM Warthog & Combat Rudder Pedals | Buttkicker Gamer 2 | OCULUS RIFT CV1 - 3 Sensor roomscale setup

• RattyUKRattyUK Posts: 916
    3Jane
    snowdog said:
    Funny how different we all are, I've only ever played SkyrimVR sitting down and appreciated the patch that allowed further 'height' so that I wasn't looking 'up' at the NPC's (being apparently at chest height was distracting when talking to some of the more attractive characters...) and the shop counters...

I don't think I could go much more than an hour standing either, certainly Robo Recall, Arizona Sunshine and Super Hot would get more play time with me if I could stay standing without aching for any length of time.

Sorry that your back is screwed @snowdog , but on the positive side - it probably stops you wandering Tamriel until 3 AM then cussing as you have to be up again in a few hours  >:)
    PC info: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, MSI MPG X570 Edge, 16GB Tforce Pro Dark DDR4 3200, KFA2 RTX 2080 Super, Samsung 870 Pro M.2, 2x 240GB SSD, 3TB WD Green HDD & 4 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, Antec Modular 750w PSU, custom watercooling loop. (Win 10 Pro & Opensuse Leap 15.1 Linux) 32" AOC 4K Monitor.

Laptop: Aorus X5 V6-CF1 (I7-6820HK, GTX 1070, 2* 256GB M.2 NVME, 1TB 7200 HDD)
  • DTHDTH Posts: 256
    Nexus 6
    I'm 63 and only read your post but I have been wearing glasses for about 10 years. I mainly use my rift (had it for about a year ) for flying and puzzle games. I'm on it for just about an hour at a  time. The only complaint I have is I wish I was 10 again.  The only way to explain it is to find a demo or a friend.  If you want my advice  Buy one.
  • bgil66bgil66 Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    52 glasses wearer here too. Got the rift a week ago as a bday present for myself and it's amazing. In all of the open wheel cars in AC it's amazing and the immersion is second to none. Was also just in PC2 @ Indy and oh my outstanding! But in a closed cockpit it isn't clear for me, a little blurry so then put on my glasses and then the rift and it was better. It was tight but better, took them off as dont want to scratch the lens in both so did some research and found out about the companies that make the prescription lenses for the rift as people have talked about here. So as I was immediately sold on the tech I scheduled an eye exam and ordered new VR adapter lenses from vroptician the other day. Have fun!