New To The Forum? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. -- Developers Click Here.

Along Together, an adorable Lucky's Tale style puzzle platformer for Oculus GO, GearVR and Rift

LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,350 Volunteer Moderator
I found this little gem yesterday, it's adorable and engaging, the puzzles get progressively intricate. It's a fantastic game on the GO, relaxing but also challenging.

It's on sale at the moment.

Highly recommended if you liked Lucky's Tale. 

Nice to see games for both GO and Rift coming out.
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)

Comments

• cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,101 Oculus Staff
    Looks cool.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • MAC_MAN86MAC_MAN86 Posts: 1,016
    Neo
    It looks to be aimed at under 13yr olds and I thought that is now against the Rules.
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 12,106 Power Poster
    edited June 4
    Nice recommendation LZ,

Purchased and played the first few levels already. Love it! This is the same company that made one of my (secret) favorite VR games, Floor Plan. woohoo!

Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 3,440 Valuable Player
    to anyone who got last months humble monthly *** it had Yooka laylee in it which has a VR mod for it which may float your boat.

*** I was so close to getting it... gutted to be honest, Yooka laylee alone as the headline would have made me grab it, as it was I just decided to pass.

Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
  • MorgrumMorgrum Posts: 1,327 Poster of the Week
    Looks fun.

Mac Man Ori and the blind forest was aimed at that age range also and that was one of the best stories, most challanging and visually enjoyable experiences ive had in the past four years.
    Also sad as hell in the beginning...

I know you are talking for the eye sight but thats a cover your ass statement  by Oculus.

WAAAGH!
  • LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,350 Volunteer Moderator
    Morgrum said:
    Looks fun.

Mac Man Ori and the blind forest was aimed at that age range also and that was one of the best stories, most challanging and visually enjoyable experiences ive had in the past four years.
    Also sad as hell in the beginning...

I know you are talking for the eye sight but thats a cover your ass statement  by Oculus.

Ori and the Blind forest was a masterpiece. I really enjoyed it.
    Mario Cart is meant to be a kids game but loads of adults play it.
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

I finally beat this today! This was a fun little puzzler The last level actually stumped me a bit.

My only recommendation would that the game could use a Boss Battle or two. I know it's a puzzler, but it plays like a Platformer. I was hoping for one or two puzzle-based battles. But overall this was very enjoyable.
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 782
    3Jane
    Zenbane said:
    I finally beat this today! This was a fun little puzzler The last level actually stumped me a bit.

My only recommendation would that the game could use a Boss Battle or two. I know it's a puzzler, but it plays like a Platformer. I was hoping for one or two puzzle-based battles. But overall this was very enjoyable.

This review published on Steam stopped me from purchasing the game:

"I think this game would be great for kids. However, I´d like to point out that it is not really a game for adults. I say this because, somehow, the game´s trailer makes it look as if it would be, showing scenes of a game that while simple, might be beautifully evocative. Well, it is not, it´s just a kid´s game. Also, the trailer makes it look as if the game would have beautiful graphics that an adult might appreciate besides the simplicity of the game. Well, it doesn´t, it´s just a kid´s game. It is not evocative, and it is not beautiful, as i.e. Lucky's Tale is. It´s not a bad game, for kids in fact is great, but I think the trailer is somehow misleading. Also, I think the promotional picture is also missleading, because while the main characters are beautifully made, the landscape is not. Textures and models are very simple and low quality, except for the main characters."

And you disagree with that review? To me it does look like a game I could run at a perfect 90 fps ss 2.0 like Lucky's Tale - and I'm a great fan of Lucky's Tale. 
    Intel i7 7700K (4.2-4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz boost, 11 Ghz ram); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS (Home/OEM); Oculus Rift CV1 - nearly always using super sampling at 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR" ;-)
    edited September 1
    I beat Lucky's Tale, and to me it is just as much of a kid's game as Along Together. I mean that wholeheartedly. In fact, Lucky's Tale is the main game I used to demo when my friends/family would bring their kids over to visit. I'd put the adults in Technolust and The Manor, and the kids in Lucky's Tale.

I mean hell, the premise in the same in both games: A fox looking for his pig, a girl looking for her dog.

Plus, I'm not sure how many kids would enjoy trying to figure out puzzles all day long. Some puzzles are easy, but a lot of them are challenging for adults.

I would say that this game has a much more "childlike" element to it, so it's more for adults who are 'kids at heart.' But try putting a 9 year old in here and they are likely to get frustrated quick.
    3Jane
    edited September 2
    Thanks, I'll grab a copy - got kids (6 and 10 years old), and the game's just 10 bucks today. I like the Moss-like element of you (=a giant) interacting with the game world and helping the main game character by moving heavy parts and solving puzzles/obstacles. 

I think this is basically a game developed for phones (which may cause very low polygon scenes due to limited cpu power) - and then the game was ported to PSVR and more:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.turbobutton.alongtogether&hl=en_US

If some don't like the VR version, I'm thinking this must look awesome on a phone :-)
    Intel i7 7700K (4.2-4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz boost, 11 Ghz ram); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS (Home/OEM); Oculus Rift CV1 - nearly always using super sampling at 2.0. 

RuneSR2 said:
    Thanks, I'll grab a copy - got kids (6 and 10 years old), and the game's just 10 bucks today. I like the Moss-like element of you (=a giant) interacting with the game world and helping the main game character by moving heavy parts and solving puzzles/obstacles. 

I think this is basically a game developed for phones (which may cause very low polygon scenes due to limited cpu power) - and then the game was ported to PSVR and more:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.turbobutton.alongtogether&hl=en_US

If some don't like the VR version, I'm thinking this must look awesome on a phone :-)

It runs great on the Oculus GO too ... low poly games feel great in VR tho, look at Job Simulator ... such basic graphics on a 2d monitor, but hours of fun in VR

I played this entirely on GO. fyi
    3Jane
    edited September 3
    I've got some weird stuttering in the game - the game more or less crashed when trying to use the in-game menus (pressing B on Touch), and the game ran in slow-mo (quite weird to see). The devs wrote that they're working on a solution, something may be wrong with the way the game handles audio (others seem to be experiencing similar problems)...

According to the devs:

"There is an audio driver bug that causes performance issues for a small number of players. Until it's fixed, please try setting your PC's primary audio output to use the Rift's headphones, or if that doesn't work, you can change your Rift's audio to "Rift Only" (No Mirror). That should work around the issue and let the game run as intended. We hope to have this properly fixed soon with Oculus's help - sorry for the inconvenience!"

The first suggestion didn't help me - I have not tried to completely disable the mirror - because that function is more important to me than playing the game, but just for the experiment I might give it a shot tomorrow  o:)

3Jane
    I've tested the game quite thoroughly, it works perfectly using blurry super-sampling (ss) 1.0. Unfortunately it seems that the devs never thought that their phone game would be pushed much harder than usual on high-end pc gaming rigs. And although I like the game and would like to support it (therefore I bought it), I think it's horribly optimized for the Rift. I don't think that the devs ever considered testing the game using high levels of super-sampling, they probably just tested the standard setting of ss 1.0. Enabling ss 2.0 causes massive stuttering, everything goes in slow-mo and the game is completely unplayable - and a game with such low-end graphics should perform like a dream even using high levels of ss. Lucky's Tale from 2016 has a much higher poly-count and better texturing - and runs perfectly using ss 2.0 (90+ fps). Even Mage's Tales runs at 90 fps ss 2.0 on my rig. 
    Personally I think it's sad when devs show so little knowledge of the platform they're using to sell a game. I'm getting the feeling  that the Rift QA has been quite poor.

RuneSR2 said:
    I've tested the game quite thoroughly, it works perfectly using blurry super-sampling (ss) 1.0. Unfortunately it seems that the devs never thought that their phone game would be pushed much harder than usual on high-end pc gaming rigs. And although I like the game and would like to support it (therefore I bought it), I think it's horribly optimized for the Rift. I don't think that the devs ever considered testing the game using high levels of super-sampling, they probably just tested the standard setting of ss 1.0. Enabling ss 2.0 causes massive stuttering, everything goes in slow-mo and the game is completely unplayable - and a game with such low-end graphics should perform like a dream even using high levels of ss. Lucky's Tale from 2016 has a much higher poly-count and better texturing - and runs perfectly using ss 2.0 (90+ fps). Even Mage's Tales runs at 90 fps ss 2.0 on my rig. 
    Personally I think it's sad when devs show so little knowledge of the platform they're using to sell a game. I'm getting the feeling  that the Rift QA has been quite poor.

Supersampling is a user choice, you dont develop a game in hopes people will super sample it so I doubt developers of any game consider it too much at this point. Maybe in the future when more people have better GPU's

3Jane
    edited September 8
    RuneSR2 said:

Supersampling is a user choice, you dont develop a game in hopes people will super sample it so I doubt developers of any game consider it too much at this point. Maybe in the future when more people have better GPU's

I guess you're right, especially small teams making one game available on multiple platforms (phones, Go, Rift, Vive etc). Still I think about 50% of the Rift games I own do implement an in-game setting to adjust super-sampling (but I do prefer the more demanding games), so in the year of 2018 I kind of expect devs to be aware of super-sampling. And with the aging CV1, ss is becoming increasingly important to achieve "up to par" image quality. I have informed the devs that they've probably forgot to check how high levels of ss affect their game (this probably goes too for the Steam version), at least I hope it can help them make a better product and get better sales - right now there're just 9 or 10 reviews on Oculus Store and Steam, respectively.   

For now, persons experiencing problems in the game due to high global ss, an Oculus Tray Tool profile forcing ss 1.0 specifically for Along Together should fix the problem - and maybe the game will work fine using ss 1.5 too (I haven't tested that yet). 

• nroskonrosko Posts: 830
    Neo
    RuneSR2 said:

I would argue most Rift users use supersampling as even 1.2 increases visual quality. I never understood the lack of support for it from Oculus tbh. 
    nrosko said:
    RuneSR2 said:

I would argue most Rift users use supersampling as even 1.2 increases visual quality. I never understood the lack of support for it from Oculus tbh. 

That's not an argument you can actually back up. I don't use super sampling at all, mostly because I'm just too lazy to set it before loading up a game. I don't care so much about the graphics as I do the actual experience. I have seen the difference and yes, it's nice. But it's more for videophiles than anything else, and not everyone is a videophile.
    3Jane
    BTW, I just tested Along Together enabling just ss 1.5 - and it caused a massive slowdown just like ss 2.0. So at least for now, don't enable ss for Along Together. Maybe I'm not being kind to the devs, but I simply can't play that game using ss 1.0; if the devs can't fix the ss problem that game will be 1/5 stars to me, sadly. When first you've gotten use to high levels of ss it's nearly impossible to go back - unless the devs create some true texturing magic like in Seeking Dawn.

Rating a game 1 out of 5 stars based solely on SS support seems a bit much, but to each their own. This is a puzzler, and it offers a fun experience far beyond just eye candy.

Regardless, it has a near perfect 5-star rating on OH right now, with nearly 150 reviews so far:

Neo
    RuneSR2 said:
    BTW, I just tested Along Together enabling just ss 1.5 - and it caused a massive slowdown just like ss 2.0. So at least for now, don't enable ss for Along Together. Maybe I'm not being kind to the devs, but I simply can't play that game using ss 1.0; if the devs can't fix the ss problem that game will be 1/5 stars to me, sadly. When first you've gotten use to high levels of ss it's nearly impossible to go back - unless the devs create some true texturing magic like in Seeking Dawn.

This seems a bit odd. Is your card maxed out?
    3Jane
    edited September 8
    nrosko said:
    RuneSR2 said:

This seems a bit odd. Is your card maxed out?

I'm not sure - I think it's some kind of weird error, of course this game should work perfectly using ss 1.5 on a GTX 1080. I'm getting profound stuttering, feels like 10-20 fps - it's definitely not 45 fps ASW. This is a rather simple game, I haven't spent much time enabling the OTT HUDs, maybe I should :-) 

Of course this game may have great gameplay, the harsh 1/5 rating is just a very personal rating from me stating that I'm not going to play this game in ss 1.0. Well, need to finish Kin too - it's a solid 90+ fps in ss 2.0 ;-) 

3Jane
    edited September 8
    Ok, I may have solved some of the mystery. Along Together seems to react to the global ss - but in strange ways.

Selecting global ss 1.5 gives me ss 1.96 - 2.11 in game (2.11 when the game starts) - and when Rift is set as my primary audio device, the game worked perfectly for the first time - that is, I got solid 90 fps using ss 2.11! That's cool! :-:smile:

But back to my usual global ss 2.0 - now the game starts in ss 2.60!  :#  And that doesn't work well.  

It seems that Along Together is using adaptive ss (or multiplies the global ss by 1.3 to 1.4), and if you're not using global ss of 0 (=1.0) this may lead to all sorts of errors. 

I have a problem with latest version of Oculus Tray Tool, so profiles don't load - but global ss always works perfectly. Otherwise my suggestion would be to create a profile for Along Together and not to use ss beyond 1.5 even if you're running a 1080 Ti. And I did this audio adjustment too (enabling Audio Switcher in OTT to set Rift as default), because the game is known for audio problems - Rift Audio Mirroring may create problems:

Now if only the devs would leave ss to 1.0 (or 0) and not make ss some kind of adaptive, all would be good for OTT users - I think... 

3Jane
    Just informed the devs - and after seeing the game running in 90 fps ss 2.11 I think the devs have deserved a 3/5 rating, maybe more when I've checked the gameplay thoroughly - but since the devs do read the reviews I wrote the following:

3Jane
    edited September 9
    BTW, another thing, I'm left-handed (and my 6 and 10 year-old sons are left-handed too), it seems that Along Together uses right-handed controls that cannot be changed? 

Guess it was ok in Doom VFR, because I don't mind having the grenade launcher glued to my left arm (and the kids aren't allowed to play that game), but in Along Together it would be great being able to use left-handed Touch controls (do let me know if I've overlooked something)

BTW, just checked the audio thoroughly, Along Together works fine using Rift Audio Mirroring (=no need to use OTT Audio Switcher), just be sure not to use global ss of more than 1.5, unless your video card can handle more than ss 2.1 in-game ;-) (I'm guessing that ASW doesn't work correctly in this game causing everything to happen in slow-motion if 90 fps cannot be maintained.)

Neo
    RuneSR2 said:
    Ok, I may have solved some of the mystery. Along Together seems to react to the global ss - but in strange ways.

Selecting global ss 1.5 gives me ss 1.96 - 2.11 in game (2.11 when the game starts) - and when Rift is set as my primary audio device, the game worked perfectly for the first time - that is, I got solid 90 fps using ss 2.11! That's cool! :-:smile:

But back to my usual global ss 2.0 - now the game starts in ss 2.60!  :#  And that doesn't work well.  

It seems that Along Together is using adaptive ss (or multiplies the global ss by 1.3 to 1.4), and if you're not using global ss of 0 (=1.0) this may lead to all sorts of errors. 

I have a problem with latest version of Oculus Tray Tool, so profiles don't load - but global ss always works perfectly. Otherwise my suggestion would be to create a profile for Along Together and not to use ss beyond 1.5 even if you're running a 1080 Ti. And I did this audio adjustment too (enabling Audio Switcher in OTT to set Rift as default), because the game is known for audio problems - Rift Audio Mirroring may create problems:

Now if only the devs would leave ss to 1.0 (or 0) and not make ss some kind of adaptive, all would be good for OTT users - I think... 
    How do you know its running at 1.96-2.11? Is that what it shows in their menu? 

3Jane
    edited September 9
    nrosko said:
    RuneSR2 said:

How do you know its running at 1.96-2.11? Is that what it shows in their menu? 

No, I'm activating the Oculus Tray Tool HUD for Pixel Density (=Visual HUD Overlay) - then you can continuously monitor the pixel density in a game or app. You can also choose HUD for performance - then you can observe your frame rate. It's a bit cumbersome as you can't see both at once, but you can remove the headset and adjust pixel density or change HUD and you don't need to restart OTT or the game/app, as these changes are now applied instantly. The HUDs are great tools to be sure you're really getting 90 fps - or the correct pixel density. 

PS. I'm thinking that the pixel density HUD may be 0.01 off - it typically shows "2.01" when I've locked 2.0. So I'm thinking that 1.96 to 2.11 probably is 1.95 to 2.10. Choosing "0" is the same as "do nothing" - which normally would correspond to ss 1.0. 

3Jane
    My 6-year-old son tried the game today and liked it - even though it's right handed controls, but that's no big deal. The game is working perfectly on my system with ss 1.5 (=ss 2.1 in-game), so far it's been smooth 90+ fps all the way (we just reached the first mountain level). 
    I raised my rating in the Oculus Store to 4/5, I don't think I can ever go higher, I don't think this game is as good as Lucky's Tale. I only award 5/5 for something truly spectacular, and we're quite a long way from Lone Echo quality here. But it's a fun game, especially for the kids - and young kids will need help (many puzzles are tricky), so it's a perfect family game for a rainy Sunday ;-)

BTW, ApollyonVR is checking my Oculus Tray Tool logs right now, it seems that my Along Together profile isn't always activated. Should others experience similar problems, just close the game and restart it - chances are that the profile now is working. Or use a global ss of 1.5 or less. 

3Jane
    edited September 15
    As mentioned in another thread, using TIMER instead of WMI seems to make sure that the OTT profile always works in Along Together. At least I've tested the game over several days and probably started the game more than 20 times, and using TIMER my ss 1.5 profile has been constantly working. Note that the devs are using super-sampling in-game, so persons using global ss 1.0 (default if you don't use OTT, or maybe it's 0, but that's much the same thing) you're probably getting something like ss 1.3 in-game automatically. An OTT profile ss 1.5 still results in ss 2.10 in-game, but that works perfectly (in this game) on my rig (90+ fps, no ASW).