New To The Forum? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. -- Developers Click Here.

How do i use my rift without having to rely on your buggy software?

WotanRebornWotanReborn Posts: 2
NerveGear
Once again I can't play VR games I have on steam because to launch SteamVR I first have to launch your unstable software that once again is refusing to work and throwing out the good old "We're having trouble starting Oculus" for 30 minutes straight.

Either make sure your software is reliable or let people use the device they bought for an absurd amount of money to play games on Steam VR that's actually reliable without having to also use your software as a second layer of DRM...

Answers

• RattyUKRattyUK Posts: 188
    Art3mis
    Perhaps starting a support ticket might be a way to get to the bottom of the issue?

Maybe I am fortunate in never having any issues in launching Steam games to date and having those games appear in the Oculus library following their use.

That said, I feel for you in the frustration it must bring...
    PC info: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, Asus ROG Crosshair VII Hero, 16GB Corsair DDR4, Gigabyte GTX 1080, Samsung 850 Pro M.2, 2x 240GB SSD, 3TB WD Green HDD & 4 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, Corsair Modular 750w PSU. (Win 10 Pro & Opensuse Leap 15 Linux) 32" AOC 4K Monitor.

Laptop: Aorus X5 V6-CF1 (I7-6820HK, GTX 1070, 2* 256GB M.2 NVME, 1TB 7200 HDD 3K screen)
  • iJudgementiJudgement Posts: 132
    Art3mis
    Yeah, I have yet to encounter this issue myself other than the one time in March. Software is super stable for me, and works even with my 2 steam games..
  • PabbertPabbert Posts: 162
    Art3mis
    I`m surprised no one has come up with a method of bypassing home altogether. 90% of my games are on Steam.
    Method I use is to pop my headset on and launch steamVR from the virtual desktop. 
  • MorgrumMorgrum Posts: 1,137 Poster of the Week
    I wish there was a work around for when im in places that have no internet.
    WAAAGH!
  • MAC_MAN86MAC_MAN86 Posts: 744
    Trinity
    edited June 7
    Don't Beta Test and perhaps try the hack to launch games directly rather inside Home. You click the box in Properties/Compatibility Run This Program As Admin for the file C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-home\OculusVR

Just tested and this works better! IN DEATH I can run SS=1.25 ingame and although it runs Desktop Home it does not run your VR Home so you can not accidentally switch either. This is seriously what I wanted for ARIZONA SUNSHINE for a long time as they say in Thailand ;)

Sure enough this then will block Home to Launch. If you did this without the box ticked it runs Home as before. It explains why some users may get black screens for other reasons in their machines besides cables. Unticking will resume normal operation without needing any reboot. I do confirm I do get better performance to raise SS by doing this.
  • NetheriNetheri Posts: 40
    Brain Burst
    edited June 7
    MAC_MAN86 said:
    Don't Beta Test and perhaps try the hack to launch games directly rather inside Home. You click the box in Properties/Compatibility Run This Program As Admin for the file C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-home\OculusVR

Just tested and this works better! IN DEATH I can run SS=1.25 ingame and although it runs Desktop Home it does not run your VR Home so you can not accidentally switch either. This is seriously what I wanted for ARIZONA SUNSHINE for a long time as they same in Thailand ;)
    Holy moly, that's genius! And we get to use the Home Dash alongside with Steams! You saved the day! This must be copypasted/linked forward, if you, MAC_MAN86, allow it? I can confirm that this trick worked with Core 2.0 (i'm not in public test).

Edit: You can also set the Home2 executable "Home2-Win64-Shipping" in C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-worlds\Home2\Binaries\Win64 to Run this program as admin. Effect is same, desktop app opens, and dash works but home2 won't load, if you don't separately run it by double clicking or putting it to taskbar and clicking while Desktop app is running. Also, you can load the older Home same way, if you need it.
    Trinity
    edited June 7
    No problem. Sure enough this then will block Home to Launch. If you did this without the box ticked it runs Home as before. It explains why some users may get black screens for other reasons in their machines besides cables. Unticking will resume normal operation without needing any reboot. I do confirm I do get better performance to raise SS by doing this.
    Incidentally this is how to best get 1 RIFT + 1 VIVE to work at the same time on even a single GTX980 whilst your monitor is focused on the VIVE.
    Brain Burst
    edited June 7
    Home or Home 2 are usable BOTH (if you have participated in Core 2.0) if you click them open through normal "can this program make changes to computer blaa blaa" dialogue. I tried with the OculusVR executable myself and there was the Home1. Tried it with Home2-Win64-Shipping, there's Home2 ( if needed, library etc all work from Dash just fine without Home(s) ). Noticed though that SteamVR's Virtual Dektop worked right with Home1 but with Home2 it still goes in 4 pieces at least in 2 physical monitor setup.
    Trinity
    edited June 7
    I find this good since 1.26 became a memory hog. I don't even run Beta Core2 and it still has impacted performance. It once was super good. Now it's super good to bypass Home VR altogether!
    Nothing wrong at all to simply start games/apps on your Desktop Home instead. They should've had this all along in full open knowledge.
    Trinity
    One thing just crossed my mind on doing this, if we get any Updates I will want to uncheck this box firstly just to be absolutely sure there is no misconfiguration in the process!
    Brain Burst
    @MAC_MAN86 , did you notice, that the Dash in VR is still working without the Home(2) running? So you can start the game from the Dash library? :)
    Trinity
    edited June 8
    I noticed you did find that out. Personally I'm not using Dash until Core2 is no longer in BETA and then again only if the RAM Usage is as it used to be and does not impact fps as it has done since 1.26 Release. I don't blame the Windows Update for this as it happened before I began a fresh OS install.
    I think you are meaning the Desktop Library which shares the same with both Home Classic and Home2. Dash is the VR menu screen in which you can pin items within your games/apps.
    Brain Burst
    edited June 8
    I mean the menusystem, which pops up with the Oculus button. From that it's possible to open the game library in VR without home(2) being loaded 8by choosing the library icon. For me, the Dash is that pop up menu and the windows which it opens are part of it, and it gives you the option to pin games/apps. Edit: and desktop library is the library in desktop app.
  • MowTinMowTin Posts: 774
    Neo
    Home is pretty stable with very few bugs from my experience. Sorry to hear you're having trouble. 

The biggest offender I've found has been Windows 10 and their updates. Other times it's Nvidia drivers which have different bugs each release. 

So, it's possible your issues have nothing to do with Home itself. 
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 4,125 Power Poster
    I've had ZERO problems with Oculus Home. SteamVR is a completely different kettle of fish altogether. I frequently have problems quitting games with SteamVR.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
    Trinity
    SteamVR just got an upate today for Win 1803 on this.
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 4,125 Power Poster
    SteamVR always gets updates that claim to fix the problems that Rift owners have, but it doesn't change a thing so far unfortunately. :(
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
    Trinity
    One issue in doing this trick of disabling HOME VR is you Rift Mic does not go into the games but does still go to VoiceAttack. I prefer voice coms in E:D but the performance is a bit better. I wonder is there another file to select as Run As Admin which allows the mic to pass through?
    We could do with Rift Mic in the Privacy Settings to select which it connects to.
    Perhaps the start shortcut? "C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-client\OculusClient.exe"
    Brain Burst
    MAC_MAN86 said:
    One issue in doing this trick of disabling HOME VR is you Rift Mic does not go into the games but does still go to VoiceAttack. I prefer voice coms in E:D but the performance is a bit better. I wonder is there another file to select as Run As Admin which allows the mic to pass through?
    We could do with Rift Mic in the Privacy Settings to select which it connects to.
    Perhaps the start shortcut? "C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-client\OculusClient.exe"
    That's a good point. However, OTT (Oculus Tray Tool) seems to handle the mic things with or without the Home(2) running. At least for me it does.
  • TwoHedWlfTwoHedWlf Posts: 2,032 Poster of the Week
    Netheri said:

Edit: You can also set the Home2 executable "Home2-Win64-Shipping" in C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-worlds\Home2\Binaries\Win64 to Run this program as admin. Effect is same, desktop app opens, and dash works but home2 won't load, if you don't separately run it by double clicking or putting it to taskbar and clicking while Desktop app is running. Also, you can load the older Home same way, if you need it.
    Ah,  I set oculusclient.exe to run as admin, but when starting something in Steam that just resulted in a black screen on the rift, but the games playing on the screen.  Maybe the Home2 exec will behave differently.
    Brain Burst
    Don't set the oculusclient to admin but oculusVR.exe (for Home1) or Home2-Win64-Shipping.exe (Home 2). Leave Oculus Dektop app as it is. However, i've noticed, thet the Dasboard works without error messgage only in Home1. But that's ok, it works in SteamVR anyway, when only desktop app is running and/or in Home1.
    Brain Burst
    Of course, best option would be the possibility to make admin trick for the home, as it was possible before 1.26 but Oculus wants us to make things difficult, if we want to use SteamVR.
    Art3mis
    edited June 10
    FWIW - Home by itself (i.e. in the Rift in one of your homes) uses quite a lot of GPU resource, but I noticed when opening a Steam app (no guesses which :p ) as it switches to the app home closes, GPU resources used drops and are then released to the opening app, this seems to interpret that Oculus Home etc. uses negligible GPU (and CPU I think) resources once an app is activated.

As my fav game was using 97%+ GPU time on the 1080 I was curious to find out if it was the modded game or a mix of Home & the game.  It appears to be the game...   Incidentally, Steam Home uses a fair amount of resources before launch of a game according to GPU-Z.

Happy to be proven wrong if I have misinterpreted things, they just appear that way.
    PC info: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, Asus ROG Crosshair VII Hero, 16GB Corsair DDR4, Gigabyte GTX 1080, Samsung 850 Pro M.2, 2x 240GB SSD, 3TB WD Green HDD & 4 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, Corsair Modular 750w PSU. (Win 10 Pro & Opensuse Leap 15 Linux) 32" AOC 4K Monitor.

Laptop: Aorus X5 V6-CF1 (I7-6820HK, GTX 1070, 2* 256GB M.2 NVME, 1TB 7200 HDD 3K screen)
    Trinity
    For my Steam I uncheck the SteamVR Beta and it doesn't load anything except the monochrome horizon.
    In my Home1 I did not allow Core 2 Beta so I will not get Dash. There are 2 options for Beta; that plus Beta Testing the next version. You can't get Dash in Home1 by opting out of both.
  • GeekyGamiGeekyGami Posts: 54
    Hiro Protagonist
    I had been in public test for a bit.

I disabled Home2 by renaming its .exe within the appropriate folder (Binary in this case, since it's Unreal Engine)

Before 1.26, I could use Dash without Home2 just fine (if we don't count the keyboard not working)

Now, whenever Dash starts without Home2, it gives me a message saying it ran into a fatal error (Bullshit if I've ever seen it) and tells me to restart. After restart, it does the same thing. Thus, Dash is unusable without Home2 on my end.

Could anybody tell me if they also have that issue in 1.26?
    Brain Burst
    GeekyGami said:
    I had been in public test for a bit.

I disabled Home2 by renaming its .exe within the appropriate folder (Binary in this case, since it's Unreal Engine)

Before 1.26, I could use Dash without Home2 just fine (if we don't count the keyboard not working)

Now, whenever Dash starts without Home2, it gives me a message saying it ran into a fatal error (Bullshit if I've ever seen it) and tells me to restart. After restart, it does the same thing. Thus, Dash is unusable without Home2 on my end.

Could anybody tell me if they also have that issue in 1.26?
    I ran to this too. 1st time i made home1&2 admin ran, Dash worked without the Homes, but after restart i started getting that fatal error. What's curious though is that it works without flaw if you use it on SteamVR (At least it works with my set up.). OR if you manually start Home1. Home2 also wouldn't load up anymore if ran manually with admin rights. :D I'm starting to give up and letting the Home2 to automatically run when using SteamVR and it's installed apps. Sometimes Oculus let's to use SteamVR dash and the apps close as they should but at least for me those instances are in minority.
    Art3mis
    Not exaclty scientific, but..

Below are 4 screen grabs (cropped) with CPU & GPU useage:

Oculus software minimised.

Oculus Home in HMD

SteamVR Home open in HMD

SteamVR open in HMD but not on my head!

Conclusion: Steam Home uses less resources than Oculus home -  which appears to indicate that Oculus Home unloads correctly when Steam Home opens.

The last one is curious, GPU load is 97% and nothing is being displayed in the headset (or incidentally the desktop) so something interesting is going on there.

Not shown, but when e.g. SkyrimVR is loaded from Home library CPU load is seen to drop briefly as Home closes and SteamVR opens the game, this also appears to support that Oculus Home is unloaded to minimal impact on CPU/GPU load.

For the record, PC desktop is 4K which likely explains the GPU memory useage with no 'load'.

Any comments welcome.

• LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 4,884 Volunteer Moderator
    @RattyUK Great comparison, when you ran Oculus Home, is it 2.0? Do you have any furniture, objects etc in Home, or did you load up an empty environment? Is your Steam home, full or empty? Those factors can impact GPU load variation.
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
    Art3mis
    @LZoltowski - that was with Home #1 open, moderately furnished, quite tastefully (even if I am the only one who thinks so) with around 200 objects used throughout.

My SteamVR home is as it arrived, mainly as I only use it to launch games until they show in Oculus Library.

• LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 4,884 Volunteer Moderator
    edited June 16
    That will be the reason home used the GPU more then. A lot more geometry to draw and store in the buffer. @RattyUK
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)