New to the forums? Click here to read the How To guide. -- Developers click here.

Oculus Rift 1.27 Release Notes

cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
The latest Rift SI version 1.27 is beginning to rolling out now. We've updated the Oculus desktop app with search improvements and a new results page, and added some new features for Library management. There's also a new uncommon item in Home that supports a sneak preview of an upcoming feature inspired by the community... See something you like or have a new feature idea? Share feedback and suggestions through our Rift Core UserVoice Group, and as always, please report bugs via the in-app reporting tool. 
  • Oculus desktop app
    • Updates to search, including experimentation of a new results page to browse, sort, and filter results.
    • Improved Library management, including experimentation of new options for sorting and filtering. We've also updated how we persist apps that you have hidden; if you previously hid any apps, your apps may be visible again with this update.
    • Improved notification system, including experimentation of new notifications for friend activity and content updates.
  • Rift Core 2.0 Beta
    • Dash:
      • New overlay UI shows the distance and scale of Dash panels as you position them with the thumbstick.
      • Added various stability improvements.
    • Home:
      • There's an uncommon item in Home that now supports a sneak preview of an upcoming feature inspired by the community.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

Comments

• NetheriNetheri Posts: 200
    Nexus 6
    Is the "admin trick" option back? Oculus Home 2 really srews up with SteamVR and the Oculus Home really isn't needed in any way, when using SteamVR apps or games. I read somewhere that the admin trick is still working with Home1, so if the "admin trick" isn't working on 1.27 i pretty sure there's "some" movement back to version 1.. And YES, my rig really is VR ready and more.
    [email protected], Rog Strix 1080 a8g in range 139MHz-1974MHz, Corsair 32gb 3000MHz DDR4, ROG Strix Z370 H Gaming, 2 x Inateck 4 port USB 3.0 cards.
    And i STILL want non-mandatory Home 2.0 and/or Dash
  • Digikid1Digikid1 Posts: 1,389
    Project 2501
    Alright....who is gonna be the ginny pig on this one?
  • Xboxmember1978Xboxmember1978 Posts: 88
    Hiro Protagonist
    Anybody who invested in Oculus is a guinea pig
    Nexus 6
    Anybody who invested in Oculus is a guinea pig
    Well i've liked the Rift+Touch a lot, but the recent "let's f*cking make everyone to use Home 2 mandatory, even to start SteamVR"-update to prevent admin trick is a "bit" douche baggey move.. :/
    [email protected], Rog Strix 1080 a8g in range 139MHz-1974MHz, Corsair 32gb 3000MHz DDR4, ROG Strix Z370 H Gaming, 2 x Inateck 4 port USB 3.0 cards.
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    Digikid1 said:

If you're interested in being a guinea pig, you can join the Public Test Channel in the Beta Settings menu. Otherwise the update will roll out automatically over the next several days. Thanks.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • Digikid1Digikid1 Posts: 1,389
    Project 2501
    Digikid1 said:

If you're interested in being a guinea pig, you can join the Public Test Channel in the Beta Settings menu. Otherwise the update will roll out automatically over the next several days. Thanks.
    Nah.  I'll pass.  Thanks though. ;)
  • RattyUKRattyUK Posts: 472
    Trinity
    @cybereality - some spam for you above ^^^
    PC info: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, Asus ROG Crosshair VII Hero, 16GB Tforce Pro Dark DDR4 3200, Gigabyte GTX 1080, Samsung 850 Pro M.2, 2x 240GB SSD, 3TB WD Green HDD & 4 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, Corsair Modular 750w PSU, custom watercooling loop. (Win 10 Pro & Opensuse Leap 15 Linux) 32" AOC 4K Monitor.

Laptop: Aorus X5 V6-CF1 (I7-6820HK, GTX 1070, 2* 256GB M.2 NVME, 1TB 7200 HDD 3K screen)
    Nexus 6
    MAC_MAN86 said:
    Don't Beta Test and perhaps try the hack to launch games directly rather inside Home. You click the box in Properties/Compatibility Run This Program As Admin for the file C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-home\OculusVR

Just tested and this works better! IN DEATH I can run SS=1.25 ingame and although it runs Desktop Home it does not run your VR Home so you can not accidentally switch either. This is seriously what I wanted for ARIZONA SUNSHINE for a long time as they same in Thailand 
    Holy moly, that's genius! And we get to use the Home Dash alongside with Steams! You saved the day! This must be copypasted/linked forward, if you, MAC_MAN86, allow it? I can confirm that this trick worked with Core 2.0 (i'm not in public test).

Edit: You can also set the Home2 executable "Home2-Win64-Shipping" in C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-worlds\Home2\Binaries\Win64 to Run this program as admin. Effect is same, desktop app opens, and dash works but home2 won't load, if you don't separately run it by double clicking or putting it to taskbar and clicking while Desktop app is running. Also, you can load the older Home same way, if you need it.
  • TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 483
    Trinity
    The Oculus Go home environment is much better than Rift’s imho.  For VR the oculus browser is all I need.  If I need to use the desktop I would rather use my monitor.

I hope the oculus rift and go guys work closely enough in order to port the best of each system over, as much as possible.
    Alienware 17r4 Laptop with i7-7700hq 2.8/3.6, 32 gb ram, gtx1060 w/6gb ram, 256gb ssd, 1tb hdd, Oculus Rift w/2x sensors.  Now using an Alienware Graphics Amplifier (AGA) with Zotac gtx1080ti Blower and Asus vg248qe 144hz external monitor.  All works great!

Also have a 64gb Oculus Go which I love for travel and quick VR Fixes.  Looking forward to the Quest!
  • geebee666geebee666 Posts: 191
    Art3mis
    The release notes missed the stuttering / shuddering added in Home if using Dash, which worsens if running youtube, the bizarre part is that dash plays fine it is just the Home that does the above. 
  • GeekyGamiGeekyGami Posts: 80
    Hiro Protagonist
    Netheri said:
    MAC_MAN86 said:
    Don't Beta Test and perhaps try the hack to launch games directly rather inside Home. You click the box in Properties/Compatibility Run This Program As Admin for the file C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-home\OculusVR

Just tested and this works better! IN DEATH I can run SS=1.25 ingame and although it runs Desktop Home it does not run your VR Home so you can not accidentally switch either. This is seriously what I wanted for ARIZONA SUNSHINE for a long time as they same in Thailand 
    Holy moly, that's genius! And we get to use the Home Dash alongside with Steams! You saved the day! This must be copypasted/linked forward, if you, MAC_MAN86, allow it? I can confirm that this trick worked with Core 2.0 (i'm not in public test).

Edit: You can also set the Home2 executable "Home2-Win64-Shipping" in C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-worlds\Home2\Binaries\Win64 to Run this program as admin. Effect is same, desktop app opens, and dash works but home2 won't load, if you don't separately run it by double clicking or putting it to taskbar and clicking while Desktop app is running. Also, you can load the older Home same way, if you need it.
    To add to this, you can simply rename the .exe to something like .exe.notanexe
    Nexus 6
    GeekyGami said:
    Netheri said:
    MAC_MAN86 said:

Yeah, but that might screw automatic updates, if it's dependent on filenames.
  • DTHDTH Posts: 179
    Art3mis
    It is still rolling out right?
    Yeah, it's rolling out but it can take several days to get to everyone.
  • ThugThug Posts: 428
    Trinity
    Any idea when/if we will be able to name our sensors?
    I regularly have one go down, but I don't know which it is so end up crawling around under the desk or unplugging one at a time at the extension.
    It would be great if I knew which one was causing the issue at the time.
    CPU: Intel i7-5820k @3.30GHz,
    Graphics Card: Nvidia Geforce GTX1080,
    RAM: 16GB DDR5,
    Viewed on: Oculus Rift or 28" Dell monitor (x2),
    Hard Drive: 240GB OCZ SSD (games), 128GB Samsung SSD (OS), 64GB SSD (3d),
  • residentweevilresidentweevil Posts: 36
    Brain Burst
    Thug said:
    Any idea when/if we will be able to name our sensors?
    I regularly have one go down, but I don't know which it is so end up crawling around under the desk or unplugging one at a time at the extension.
    It would be great if I knew which one was causing the issue at the time.
    Have you tried to re-start the Oculus service when this happens? I have 3 sensors that show up as 2 pretty often if the PC has been on for a while and the Rift not used, but a restart of the service brings all 3 back
  • GeekyGamiGeekyGami Posts: 80
    Hiro Protagonist
    Netheri said:
    GeekyGami said:
    Netheri said:
    MAC_MAN86 said:

It doesn't, actually. When Oculus updates, it just makes a new exe, completely ignoring the renamed one, which remains there.
    Nexus 6
    GeekyGami said:
    Netheri said:
    GeekyGami said:
    Netheri said:
    MAC_MAN86 said:

It doesn't, actually. When Oculus updates, it just makes a new exe, completely ignoring the renamed one, which remains there.
    And then you have to rename it again while admin right blabla stays on as default? ;) Well whatever, i'm starting to give up and try to manage with OH resource hogging and not managing SteamVR app&game handling properly. I think it's just too much effort to get these two systems work hand in hand and i guess that's what Oculus team is trying to get at with it's users when denieing the "admin trick" on the whole thing.  :/
    Hiro Protagonist
    Can somebody fill me in on this whole "admin" trick that I keep hearing about

I've been away from the forums and my Rift for about 3 months while I was away and I keep hearing about this but I have no idea what you're talking about
    Nexus 6
    Can somebody fill me in on this whole "admin" trick that I keep hearing about

I've been away from the forums and my Rift for about 3 months while I was away and I keep hearing about this but I have no idea what you're talking about
    Before version 1.26 of Oculus Desktop app, it was possible to put it run only as admin rights, wich blocked the app and Oculus Home(2) to automatically run, when opening SteamVR while the other processes needed were running. So it didn't go hogging graphic or cpu resources on the backround or messing with SteamVR's app, game or manuhandling. 
    Hiro Protagonist
    So when we were able to do the admin trick Steamvr games were running smoother?
    Nexus 6
    At least they were on my setup. And Yes, my setup is vr-ready and beyond..
  • YoLolo69YoLolo69 Posts: 1,059
    Wintermute
    It should depends configuration as the Admin trick never gave me a single FPS in my numerous benchmark (I benchmark a lot after each new drivers, versions, etc.) so I let Oculus do their things and trust they will not eat my CPU/GPU when a game is running (from Steam or not). Guess I'm lucky...

“Dreams feel real while we are in them, it's only when we wake up that we realize something was strange.” - Dom Cobb

"Be careful, if you are killed in real life you die in VR too." - TD_4242

I7 3770K OC 4.6GHz, GTX1080 OC 10%, 16GB DDR3 2448  OC, Oculus Rift CV1

• LuluViBritanniaLuluViBritannia Posts: 368
    Trinity
    edited June 15
    Home2 takes some VRAM even when using another VR app. That's why the admin trick is important for some configurations but not for others ^^. It saves some FPS if your VRAM is full when using Home2. That's my case, and I'm glad to hear that other people have this problem.
    It's really a shame that Oculus blocked this solution...
    Previous VR face :

My current config : HP Omen laptop, 8 GB RAM, Intel i5-7300HQ @2.5GHz + Nvidia GTX 1050 (2GB VRAM).

Currently plays on :

- Beat Saber.
    - Windlands.
    - Skyrim VR.

I use VR for :
    - Games.
    - Art Software (Tilt Brush, Oculus Medium, Mocu Mocu Dance).
    - Cinema VR (Oculus Desktop or Virtual Desktop).

"You are allowed to kill only if you are prepared to die."
  • LuluViBritanniaLuluViBritannia Posts: 368
    Trinity
    edited June 15
    It seems Update 1.27 prevents Dash interface from going below my waist. It's higher than what I want but I can't push it down! Why would you do this, Oculus? It's just stupid!

EDIT : Sorry for the double-post, I wasn't able to see my first comment in my browser so I thought it hadn't come out, and now I can't delete my second comment...
    Previous VR face :

My current config : HP Omen laptop, 8 GB RAM, Intel i5-7300HQ @2.5GHz + Nvidia GTX 1050 (2GB VRAM).

Currently plays on :

- Beat Saber.
    - Windlands.
    - Skyrim VR.

I use VR for :
    - Games.
    - Art Software (Tilt Brush, Oculus Medium, Mocu Mocu Dance).
    - Cinema VR (Oculus Desktop or Virtual Desktop).

"You are allowed to kill only if you are prepared to die."
    Nexus 6
    Is there any estimate for Finland?
    Netheri said:
    Is there any estimate for Finland?

No estimate but you can join the Public Test Channel in the Beta settings if you want to try it early.
  • Remmer_GRemmer_G Posts: 20
    Brain Burst
    I got 1.27 three days ago, then 1.26 one day ago, and now 1.27 again today. Would prefer a more sane set of updates.
    Nexus 6
    MAC_MAN86 said:

Nexus 6
    MAC_MAN86 said: