cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus rift audio is cracklin makking a popping sound

G4MER-D3V1L
Protege
When i first got my rift everything was good no audio problems. Then out of nowhere It started too crack and make a popping sound in the last days I would start up oculus home then the popping sound would start and audio would cut off it was bad the only way to get audio back I had to restart the pc. Then I came here did some i saw that for some people turning off the power management work for me only a day then it all started again. In the end I bough the suggested Usb expansion card that oculus recommends. Know the audio doesn't come cut off but occasionally the popping and crackling sound comes back then it stop. Any body know why this keeps happening?
18 REPLIES 18

TwoHedWlf
Expert Trustee
Try removing and reseating the earphones, also try adjusting the side straps and see if that makes any difference.

babybasher
Protege
Is it just 1 earphone?  I had exactly the same crackling/popping/cutting off.  If so, swap them around and see if it still happens.  This same problem happened to me.  Eventually got sent new heaphones after I jumped through the hoops.  It was incredible hearing the difference once I put them in, so clear.

G4MER-D3V1L
Protege
@babybasher it's on the two of them it was alot worse before getting the expansion card for USB. Now it comes and goes and I check the headphones they are not loose. I'll check again tonight and tight then up. 

G4MER-D3V1L
Protege
I couldn't play before I got the expansion card the popping noise was horrible. Then there was the problem were it would cut off 

G4MER-D3V1L
Protege
@TwoHedWlf I will check when I get home go take them off and put them back to see if it helps. 

Anonymous
Not applicable
Only use 2 Oculus Devices per USB Block. Don't use front USB slots. USB3 where you can else USB2 is ample. If you get crackling lower gpu settings for Shadows or start at x1 SS before increasing. Some games run best with Oculus Debug Tool SS rather than their in-game SS. Have you enough RAM? (16GB is stable) Do you use a dedicated Soundcard as these take away cpu stress. If not then try any lower settings for audio e.g. no special extras like Crystal or 3D or EAX. Or is your soundcard not in Game Mode but is Audio Mode? Other than this you may need to make your Virtual RAM 1.5x your RAM size.

G4MER-D3V1L
Protege
@MAC_MAN86 thanks for the info this is what I have a gtx 1080 ram I have 32gb cpu is a Intel core i7 6700k over clocked. Then by USB block what exactly do you mean? Also how would a sound card work if I have to connect the oculus hdmi to the graphics card? And I'm also using oculus debug tool. I hope I gave good amount of information on my system to help get a solution for this.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Any problems with sound could be to do with your HDMI connection rather than the USB. Are you using a HDMI extension? If so try and use a different cable. You should also take off the faceplate and check that the cable connection isn't loose.

Anonymous
Not applicable
If your cpu is stressed then sound will crackle before you noticed any stress on the gpu as a dedicated gpu card. A Soundcard will remove cpu stress and you don't do anything with the Rift wires to be any different. The sound is handled by the card and you select what you want to hear in Windows. The Rift headphones are chosen by default except in just a few circumstances in which you would select Rift Headphones not Soundcard Output in the Speaker Icon by the clock.

This must be correct because I disabled my Motherboard Onboard Sound to not conflict and is after all not as good as a dedicated Soundcard. Now if I did not have a Soundcard at all and no Onboard Sound then I don't see that the Sound would be working as all the Rift does is provide the Headphone Output to route your Sound.

The only other thing you may try is lowering any SuperSampling or lowering Shadows or Anti-Aliasing Settings.
Also try swapping around some USBs in case any Windows Update has not reset them. They should've advised that only keyboard & mouse are connected during any major OS update.