New To The Forum? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. -- Developers Click Here.

Best place for info on what PC to build?

ShelZuuzShelZuuz Posts: 10
NerveGear
New to this forum, and I can't figure out where to get PC build recommendations. I assume there is a lot of info already in here somewhere?

Specifically, I'm looking for info on how to build a (for-the-most-part) silent living room computer that will work well with the Rift.

Comments

• Hiro_Protag0nistHiro_Protag0nist Posts: 4,425 Valuable Player
    In here, for the most part, people will tell you what spec to get.  You should be looking at the best PC you can afford.  It's unlikely you'll get a silent PC but yes, we all want a quiet one.  Because you are looking for a high powered PC the parts will get hot and therefore you need more fans to keep it cool unless you go for water cooling of course.

I'd spec the PC up then go to a few websites (overclockers, scan) and look at the reviews - noise is something most people talk about a lot.

By the way, mine is noisy as hell but i love to ramp up the volume on my Rift so i don't care   B)
  • LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 5,851 Volunteer Moderator
    ShelZuuz said:
    New to this forum, and I can't figure out where to get PC build recommendations. I assume there is a lot of info already in here somewhere?

Specifically, I'm looking for info on how to build a (for-the-most-part) silent living room computer that will work well with the Rift.

What would your budget be? This is probably the most important bit :) and have you built a PC before?

Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
  • ShelZuuzShelZuuz Posts: 10
    NerveGear
     What would your budget be? This is probably the most important bit :) and have you built a PC before?

Budget is 3k to 5k. Don’t need any monitors or drives included in that.

So basically that’s for GPUs, CPUs, Motherboard, Power Supply, RAM & Cooling system. Liquid cooling is ok if I must.

I don’t mind it being a bit noisy during Oculus -  but it should be quiet (< 15db from 6ft away) when idle or watching movies on it.

Yes I’ve built my own PCs since the 8086 days. Dozens (or hundreds?) of them.
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 25,667 Oculus Staff
    edited June 12
    You can see the recommended and minimum requirements here:
    https://support.oculus.com/170128916778795/
    Note, if you can build a better system, you may be able to increase quality settings beyond what a basic rig in the link will handle.

For gaming, the i7-8700K is probably the best choice. I personally like Ryzen, but it's better at heavy multi-threaded work like video editing or 3d rendering. Intel is still better for straight gaming.

For GPU, I'd recommend Nvidia. While AMD's Vega is nice, the current pricing is not great and they can be fairly loud. The 1070 or 1070 Ti would probably be a decent choice. Since it seems like you have some money to spend, you can consider a 1080 Ti as this is about the best you can get right now, but you'll have to pay.

Other parts are mostly up to your choice, I'd recommend 16GB of RAM, and try to get the faster speed if you can. Also, go with an M.2 SSD for your main drive. They really help with boot speeds and for your common programs (better to get a normal HDD for your games or files).
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
    US Dollars?

Ok great, I will send you some suggestions this evening. Probably would be best to water cool the GPU and CPU with an AIO. (Like I have, runs near silent even at full loads)

Ill get you links to all the parts, I am guessing you want a mid/small tower and not a full-on beast.
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

NerveGear
    US Dollars?

Ok great, I will send you some suggestions this evening. Probably would be best to water cool the GPU and CPU with an AIO. (Like I have, runs near silent even at full loads)

Ill get you links to all the parts, I am guessing you want a mid/small tower and not a full-on beast.
    Yes US$.  I have an AIO on one of my i7 Extremes but it’s pretty noisy. Do you know of a silent one?
    NerveGear
    Also, go with an M.2 SSD for your main drive. They really help with boot speeds and for your common programs (better to get a normal HDD for your games or files).
    Careful recommending just M.2 to someone. M.2 is just a slot standard not a bus standard. You can have USB, SATA, I2C, PCIe all connected to M.2.

The ‘fast’ SSD drives are specifically M.2 PCIe - if you just say “M.2”, people may get a M.2 SATA drive since they’re a lot cheaper. But those are no faster than any other SATA drive.

I accidentally did that to a colleague recently. Oops...
  • BeastyBaiterBeastyBaiter Posts: 739 Poster of the Week
    At that kind of a budget, basically anything you want is in budget. I recommend the i7-8700k, ASRock Z370 Extreme4, 16GB DDR4 32000 CL14 memory (go 32GB if you like Medium) and an EVGA GTX 1080 Ti Hybrid card (liquid cooled). You will also want an AIO for the CPU in this build.

Now, by itself, this is actually somewhat loud. EVGA puts all their emphasis on cooling and so their fan on the GPU will run full blast all the time and be obnoxiously loud doing so. My advise is to replace all the fans in the case and AIO's with Corsair ML120 fans and run them at 50% speed. Those fans move a lot of air at 50% speed and are dead silent doing so. They become audible at around 55% in my case. Additionally, configure the radiators in a push-pull fan setup. I think all the radiators out there support this even if they don't include the fans and screws required to do it. This setup will allow for a near silent build with incredible cooling.

The above is the setup I use, with the exception of cheaping out and doing CL16 RAM instead of CL14. My experience with it is 4.9GHz on all cores with the 8700k is no problem without delidding. 5.0GHz can be done but I'm uncomfortable with 90C temperature spikes (Intel rates them for 100C as safe). The GPU under full load should hang out around 50C on the core and maybe 60C on the power components. Exact temps will vary based on case and overall configuration. I have my CPU radiator as the front panel intake and the GPU radiator as the rear exhaust. It works very well.
    NerveGear
    I see almost everybody recommends the i7-8700k. Why not the i7-8086K?
  • Hiro_Protag0nistHiro_Protag0nist Posts: 4,425 Valuable Player
    ShelZuuz said:

Never heard of it.
  • dburnedburne Posts: 1,430
    Project 2501
    ShelZuuz said:
    Likely because no one really has one yet.
    Undoubtedly it will be good.
    Don

EVGA X-79 Dark MB|I7 [email protected] GHz|EVGA 1080Ti FTW3 Elite|16GB Corsair Platinum 2133MHz| TM Warthog + 7.5cm Ext| MFG Crosswind Pedals| Rift CV1|Windows 10 64 bit 
    NerveGear
    @LZoltowski - with that Maximus IX motherboard that you have - do you still need an external USB 3.1 controller board?

I see the board has an ASMedia USB controller as well as the controller on the chipset itself. Is that sufficient? 

Would like to drive 3 sensors. Maybe 4.
    ShelZuuz said:
    @LZoltowski - with that Maximus IX motherboard that you have - do you still need an external USB 3.1 controller board?

I see the board has an ASMedia USB controller as well as the controller on the chipset itself. Is that sufficient? 

Would like to drive 3 sensors. Maybe 4.
    Sorry, busy few days with work, ill get you that list soon.

Yes the Maximus IX drives 3 sensors perfectly.

However, with 4 sensors I ran into a power delivery issue, all USB ports would just shut down. So I moved all peripherals (Mouse, Mousepad, Keyboard, USB drive, external drive) to an Actively powered USB 3.1 Hub. The only things plugged into the PC are, 2 sensors and rift on USB 2.0 ports .. and 2 Sensors and the Active USB HUB plugged into 3.1 ports.

Works perfectly.

• cyberealitycybereality Posts: 25,667 Oculus Staff
    edited June 13
    ShelZuuz said:
    Also, go with an M.2 SSD for your main drive. They really help with boot speeds and for your common programs (better to get a normal HDD for your games or files).
    Careful recommending just M.2 to someone. M.2 is just a slot standard not a bus standard. You can have USB, SATA, I2C, PCIe all connected to M.2.

The ‘fast’ SSD drives are specifically M.2 PCIe - if you just say “M.2”, people may get a M.2 SATA drive since they’re a lot cheaper. But those are no faster than any other SATA drive.

I accidentally did that to a colleague recently. Oops...

Good point. This is the one I recommend.
    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147690
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • BeastyBaiterBeastyBaiter Posts: 739 Poster of the Week
    ShelZuuz said:
    The i7-8086k is just a collectors edition i7-8700k. Intel did bump the single core boost speed to 5.0 GHz, but pretty much any i7-8700k can do that as it is. The single core boost speed is also completely useless since even just having windows running will use 4+ cores.
    NerveGear
    ShelZuuz said:
    The i7-8086k is just a collectors edition i7-8700k. Intel did bump the single core boost speed to 5.0 GHz, but pretty much any i7-8700k can do that as it is. The single core boost speed is also completely useless since even just having windows running will use 4+ cores.
    Yeah I figured that out today. Ordered one anyway. Just can’t pass up the opportunity to tell people I’m running on an 8086 :)