New To The Forum? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. -- Developers Click Here.

Every week a new update, what is wrong?

ClayClay Posts: 65
Hiro Protagonist
Hello,

I liked Oculus from the beginning very much (DK1 and DK2 and CV1 and Oculus Go), I have all 4 HMDs.
At this time i can only say "what is wrong with this company?"! Every week is a new Update for the Software! Sometimes 2 or 3 Updates on 2 or 3 days during the week!!! What is wrong? You cannot fix your software-problems? This is the same shit as Microsoft do! 
Really, this is a reason to buy a HTC-Vive or a Pimax. 
... and the Games, the AAA-Games, are jokes. At the Beginning the Games were awesome! Climb, Eve, Edge of N. -> AWESOME!
But right now, the Games are nothing special (esp. Stormland, that is a joke! What do you think how old the players are? 12?).

I really try to stay on the Oculus-Side, but you must do a better job than now.
Please don't do so much updates for the software! Fix your problems and let us play!

Sorry, but i had to say this!
Have a nice week!

Comments

• MradrMradr Posts: 2,400 Poster of the Week
    edited June 13
    Pimax doesn't have a HMD even out or a store anyone likes - Check them out on other review sites and then come back to me if you like.

HTC-Vive just more recently came out with their own store and it's already have problems and the lack of content to make it worth it has been a big problem with in the community.

Steam store on the other hand (witch is what I think you are trying to hint at here) also has a bunch of crap ware on it that most people find pretty broken, not working, or crap. Granted some of the games showing up there now are games from the Oculus store from a while back.

There is also sort of a break between the months if you know anything about games where they wait for E3 to show them off and another month before release. E3 was just last weekend.

As for updates, what's wrong with updates? You complain about them updating to fix problems and in the same breath curse them about having problems?  Plus GO is a new platform so there will be a lot more updates going on to offer more features and to fix problems. Na, MS usually ends up breaking shit that really shouldn't have been broken in the first place.
  • falken76falken76 Posts: 2,286 Valuable Player
    Clay said:
    Hello,

I liked Oculus from the beginning very much (DK1 and DK2 and CV1 and Oculus Go), I have all 4 HMDs.
    At this time i can only say "what is wrong with this company?"! Every week is a new Update for the Software! Sometimes 2 or 3 Updates on 2 or 3 days during the week!!! What is wrong? You cannot fix your software-problems? This is the same shit as Microsoft do! 
    Really, this is a reason to buy a HTC-Vive or a Pimax. 
    ... and the Games, the AAA-Games, are jokes. At the Beginning the Games were awesome! Climb, Eve, Edge of N. -> AWESOME!
    But right now, the Games are nothing special (esp. Stormland, that is a joke! What do you think how old the players are? 12?).

I really try to stay on the Oculus-Side, but you must do a better job than now.
    Please don't do so much updates for the software! Fix your problems and let us play!

Sorry, but i had to say this!
    Have a nice week!

What's wrong with updates?  As long as they're fixing things and not causing problems, why does it concern you?  Should they gather everything that is discovered as a bug and only address them in updates released in timed intervals?

A reason to get Vive or Pimax over Rift is becaues Rift updates and addresses issues too often?  I don't understand that line of thinking at all.

I find most of the games to be boring.  Unfortunately that's not limited to VR, garbage games are everywhere.  I only really enjoy 2 games enough to play them almost everyday.  I bought BOTH of them on steam.  Onward and DCS World.  As far as I'm concerned, to me both of those are killer apps for VR.  Why?  Because if my rift broke today, I'd go buy another one so I could play those games.  I don't think we're going to see real AAA VR games anytime soon.  Bethesda will release a bunch of ports, but games designed for VR?  Aside from a large corporation like Facebook intentionally taking a loss on the project to invest in VR for the long term, only a fool would devote a AAA budget to a VR game.  The demographic of gamers on all HMDs combined isn't large enough to justify a true AAA budget.  However that number is growing, Allegedly there are expected to be 171 million VR users by the end of this year.  But my guess is that a majority of them are mobile and if that's the case, who's going to waste a AAA budget on PC game development other than facebook.

TLDR;

The cost of production on AAA games is so high no studio wants to really jump in because they don't believe they'll get an ROI on that endeavor.  We'll probably get Candy Crush in VR before anything new that's not a port comes out of a AAA studio because VR is growing, but a large portion of that is probably mobile.
  • Digikid1Digikid1 Posts: 634
    Neo
    There is not weekly updates for the Oculus software at all.  They are maybe monthly at best. If you are getting “weekly” updates then it is probably trying to install ONE update over and over again due to an issue. 
  • kzintzikzintzi Posts: 906 Poster of the Week
    the other possibility/thing to look at is to opt out of the beta builds if you don't like getting them. that should drop your updates to once a month..

as for Steam, that mofo client updates every week at best - I'm constantly getting notifications that it's been updated and needs a restart.

Though you are more than slightly incoherent, I agree with you Madam,
    a plum is a terrible thing to do to a nostril.
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 24,968 Oculus Staff
    Did you maybe join the Public Test Channel? This is for early beta builds and may be more frequent. For standard updates on Rift it's usually around 1 per month.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • ClayClay Posts: 65
    Hiro Protagonist
    Thanks for all the NICE answeres! What is wrong with updates? -> If i get permanently updates, the software is Shi*!
    I love this, really. Buy a game (or Software) and at the release is the day one patch (perhaps 3Gig). This is our Computer-Life in 2018! 20 years ago, it was better!
    kzintzi and cybereality, this is it! Public test Channel.
    Update: today, 3 days ago, 9 days ago, 14 days ago, etc.... Bullshit!
  • LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 4,964 Volunteer Moderator
    Public Test Channels always get a lot more updates because they are just that, a Test channel, ...
    If you sign up for a Windows Fast Ring (Windows insider programme, which is like a test channel) you get more frequent updates also.

Just opt out of the PTC and you won't get updates.

Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
  • ThugThug Posts: 423
    Trinity
    edited June 16
    20 years ago it was better?
    Sorry, but have you forgot what it was like 20 years ago?
    A game was around 300 meg, updates where unheard of for most games and when they did they took an eternity to update on dial up. Hell, a single song of around 3.5 meg took about 20 mins to download. 

I can see what you are getting at, in that software should be released bug free prior to release. However beta software is expected to have bugs that’s why it’s optional. 
    CPU: Intel i7-5820k @3.30GHz,
    Graphics Card: Nvidia Geforce GTX1080,
    RAM: 16GB DDR5,
    Viewed on: Oculus Rift or 28" Dell monitor (x2),
    Hard Drive: 240GB OCZ SSD (games), 128GB Samsung SSD (OS), 64GB SSD (3d),
    Neo
    Clay said:
    Thanks for all the NICE answeres! What is wrong with updates? -> If i get permanently updates, the software is Shi*!
    I love this, really. Buy a game (or Software) and at the release is the day one patch (perhaps 3Gig). This is our Computer-Life in 2018! 20 years ago, it was better!
    Thanks!  I needed a good laugh.  That did it for sure. 

Thug is correct though in a way. NOTHING has ever been bug free at launch and never will be. Get used to it.  Things happen so accept that ASAP. 

• ClayClay Posts: 65
    Hiro Protagonist
    What kind of Forum is this here? A forum where everybody love Oculus... they don't do any mistakes.... you only can say good things about Oculus....you cannot improve anything
    .... than I don't need this forum here anymore, than this forum here is blind in one way.

My conversation here with you all bring me only to one result right now, that I don't need a Oculus Rift in future any more (thank you for this!)... and Oculus will lose one more voice (my voice) in the market and in the forums

My last post here.
    Bye bye

Clay said:

Why don't you opt out of the public test channel if you don't like the updates?  Test Channel is in the name, why would you not opt out?  The very name alone would suggest there could be constant changes.
    Thug said:
    20 years ago it was better?
    Sorry, but have you forgot what it was like 20 years ago?
    A game was around 300 meg, updates where unheard of for most games and when they did they took an eternity to update on dial up. Hell, a single song of around 3.5 meg took about 20 mins to download. 

I can see what you are getting at, in that software should be released bug free prior to release. However beta software is expected to have bugs that’s why it’s optional. 

I preferred the way they did things 20 years ago.  Not so much the slow speed of dial up, but the fact that devs had to release complete software for the most part.  The majority of what I bought was not broken and nothing needed updated for the most part.  I loved it in fact, it was a time before this bullshit microtransaction falsely advertised free games with their stupid "pay to win" model.  I bought fantastic games from a company called valve before they started Steam.  Most games that came out then were great.  Here we are all these years later and the FPS hasn't changed at all, it's all eyecandy now.
  • ChazmeisterChazmeister Posts: 381
    Trinity
    You posted complaining about overly frequent updates which were annoying you.

People told you it was due to having enabled the Public Test Channel in your Rift software and that to resolve your issue you should opt out of it.

You seemingly decided to ignore all of this genuinely helpful advice and carry on with your little rant anyway.

People haven't agreed with you about your stance on updates, and not getting the response you wanted you have now decided to stamp your feet and throw your toys out of the pram and pour scorn and derision on the people that posted here trying to help you.

Can you not see what is wrong with your attitude? It is not us who are blind.
    Neo
    Clay said:
    What kind of Forum is this here? A forum where everybody love Oculus... they don't do any mistakes.... you only can say good things about Oculus....you cannot improve anything
    .... than I don't need this forum here anymore, than this forum here is blind in one way.

My conversation here with you all bring me only to one result right now, that I don't need a Oculus Rift in future any more (thank you for this!)... and Oculus will lose one more voice (my voice) in the market and in the forums

My last post here.
    Bye bye

Don't let the door hit you on the way out.  Buh Bye.

You posted complaining about overly frequent updates which were annoying you.

People told you it was due to having enabled the Public Test Channel in your Rift software and that to resolve your issue you should opt out of it.

You seemingly decided to ignore all of this genuinely helpful advice and carry on with your little rant anyway.

People haven't agreed with you about your stance on updates, and not getting the response you wanted you have now decided to stamp your feet and throw your toys out of the pram and pour scorn and derision on the people that posted here trying to help you.

Can you not see what is wrong with your attitude? It is not us who are blind.
    Bingo!!!
  • dburnedburne Posts: 1,227
    Wintermute
    edited June 17
    Clay said:

My last post here.
    Bye bye

No worries, bye bye…

Btw for the record I love getting updates !!
    Which is why I too am on the Public Test Channel.
    Don

EVGA X-79 Dark MB|I7 4820K@4.50 GHz|EVGA 1080Ti FTW3 Elite|16GB Corsair Platinum 2133MHz| TM Warthog + 7.5cm Ext| MFG Crosswind Pedals| Rift CV1|Windows 10 64 bit