New To The Forum? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. -- Developers Click Here.

Oculus Rift reboots computer

UlymUlym Posts: 5
NerveGear
When I plug my Oculus Rift in my computer, I can use it for like 5 minutes before my computer reboots.

I tried to repair the Oculus app using the setup, then I could play a 30 minutes session without problem. However, at the moment I unplugged the Rift, the computer went to another reboot, and the first problem reappeard.

I got the headset one month ago and I never had any problem during this period. I have everything up to date (Windows 10/Nvidia drivers).

I use a Intel core i7-6700 with a Geforce GTX 970, 12GB of ram and a 1TB SSHD disk.

Comments

• cyberealitycybereality Posts: 25,400 Oculus Staff
    That sounds really strange. Can you submit a ticket? https://support.oculus.com/
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 4,385 Valuable Player
    When you say you unplugged the Rift and another reboot occurred. Do you mean you unplugged the Hdmi while the computer was on? Your not supposed to plug in Hdmi or unplug them while a computer is switched on if this is what you are doing.
  • TwoHedWlfTwoHedWlf Posts: 2,108 Poster of the Week
    It only reboots while you're using the Rift except that time when you unplugged it?  Have you checked your temps and that your PC isn't overheating?
    edited June 14
    I think the title might need to be changed to " Computer reboots the Oculus Rift." Given that it's more likely to be a computer problem that is causing the Oculus to reboot..
  • UlymUlym Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    1. When I say "unplug the Rift" I'm talking about remove the usb and the hdmi. I never had any issue with this, but if it cause problems I will stop.

2. I checked my temps, and the CPU/GPU were only between 50 and 60°C while in the home, right before another reboot... I don't think there is any issue with temperature.

3. It really is a computer reboot caused by the rift. I can use it without any problem while the headset isn't used. And when it occurs, it loads everything again (Bios, Windows)

Altough unlikely, I think it might be caused by home 2.0, I will try using the basic version asap. I also checked Windows events, the only linked event is a critical error without any detail that could help resolve this.

Thank you for your answers, I will post here as soon as I have news.
    edited June 15
    You are not supposed to plug or unplug Hdmi ports when a computer is switched on. You should shut the computer down before doing this.

Have you tried swapping to another Hdmi port and swapping the usb's around? Try that, but only when the computer is shutdown. Could be a PSU problem if it continues, but it could be other things wrong with your computer also. Psu maybe because the CV1 needs more power once you plug it in..
    NerveGear
    So, I might be missing something...

I tried to restore Windows (not reinstall, just restore) but it failed midway.
    So I booted Windows with the Rift plugged in, I tried to change some power management settings (especially the usb options), and now the headset is working again without any problem.

I don't understand everything, but one thing's sure : I will let the headset plugged in the computer !
    NerveGear
    Ok, I found the cause of my issue : the PSU !

Right after I posted my message, my computer crashed. Again. However, this time, when I turned it on, there was no display and no power in the usb ports.
    After some long hours of trial, I found out that everything was working correctly, except for my 400w PSU...

With my build, I was at the limit of the power supply. The rift might be too much. I'm changing the PSU tomorrow, I will put an update here when I change it.
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 25,400 Oculus Staff
    I was going to mention the PSU. 400W is way too low for a system like that. I'm surprised it even ever worked.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
    NerveGear
    So, I changed my old 400W PSU for a 600W new one, and it works perfectly without any problem.

The issue was caused by my mistake, sorry for the inconvenience !