cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Want to get Oculus Rift but not sure if room is good enough

wanderingpengui
Honored Guest
Hi
I am considering getting into VR with the purchase of a Rift, however I am not sure if the room in my house I have designated for VR allows sufficient space, especially if I was to use the room scale feature. I also need some advice with sensor placement as the room has a chimney breast wall that protrudes into the room, eating up play space and creating two alcoves either side. I have attached a basic drawing of the room with measurements so you can see the play space available to me and provide advice on possible sensor placements.

Also want to know if my PC spec is good enough for VR - i7 6700K 4Ghz, 16GB DDR4 RAM and R9 390X.

EDIT - forgot to mention my PC will be in another room on the floor above. Is VR still viable in this scenario?

Thanksjql8fp2dnwur.png
9 REPLIES 9

LZoltowski
Champion
The specs should be ok, although maybe the GPU could be improved for future proofing. NVIDIA Cards have returned pretty much to MSRP.

Are you from the UK? It looks like a UK Home 🙂

For this play space I would recommend 3 sensors (For full 360 room scale), not spaced more than 3.1 meters apart. This gives you a playspace as shown on the image in grey area, the sensors are the red dots. I would perhaps ceiling mount the sensors if you can. You can use an ACTIVE USB extension cable to manage your cabling.

fz9d2xwf5erg.jpg

Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

wanderingpengui
Honored Guest
Yes I'm in UK. Would the sensor layout provide enough space to walk around in VR games that allow for it? or would I be limited to a stationary 360 experience? I was also told elsewhere that my PC being upstairs is an issue. the Oculus sensors are notoriously
picky when it comes to extension cables, and anything above 5m (16 feet)
usually causes issues or doesn't work at all. Is this true?

I was planning on upgrading the GPU when the new Nvidia cards come out which I know the CEO has said it wont be for awhile but I was after something that can do 4K comfortably and it looks like the GTX 1080 replacement could be it. My 390X would be ok for games at this moment though right?

LZoltowski
Champion
Yes I would not run the extension cables longer than 6 meters. I would recommend having the PC downstairs for VR, and the 3.1m by 3.1m is far more than you need, In fact, if you face the sensors just right, your total tracking volume will be the blue area. This will be more than enough for walking around and not just a stationary 360.

bvd1m403pb1v.jpg

The R9 390, is slightly faster than the 290 which is the absolute minimum spec. It's about 14% faster. 
http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/AMD-R9-390X-vs-AMD-R9-290/3497vs2171so it should be okay in most cases but not with maximum settings. 

WIth a more powerful card, you will be able to supersample (meaning increase the clarity) in many games as well as turn all the graphics settings all the way up. 
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

EDIT - forgot to mention my PC will be in another room on the floor above. Is VR still viable in this scenario?

Confused by this.  Are you planning on using the tpcast to make it wireless?  I would recommend not buying a tpcast.
Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3

Are you from the UK? It looks like a UK Home 🙂

fz9d2xwf5erg.jpg

Aye mate.  Does that weird triangular door give it away for you too?

😄 
Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3

wanderingpengui
Honored Guest

I would not run the extension cables longer than 6 meters.

I'm probably looking at 8 meters in cable length for the sensors, is that asking for trouble? What is it that goes wrong?

Are you planning on using the tpcast to make it wireless?  I would recommend not buying a tpcast.

No won't be wireless I've already looked into TPCast and heard so many bad things. I'd be running cables through the floor/ceiling.

Aye mate.  Does that weird triangular door give it away for you too?
😄 

The door isn't triangular it's to show the side the door opens on 😉

wanderingpengui
Honored Guest
Any help with this appreciated. Thanks

LZoltowski
Champion

Any help with this appreciated. Thanks

6 meters, hmm .. it's pushing it ... it might work for the Sensors, it's just voltages drop slightly over longer distances, ACTIVE cables might help with that, like 2 x 3M Active USB extension ...

For HDMI, you might need a HDMI 2.0 repeater that is 4K@60hz capable .. something like this:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Repeater-Neoteck-Extender-Booster-Satellite/dp/B0747M5NDQ/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF...

The Rift and the sensors are very voltage sensitive, HDMI is quite signal sensitive too. So I would advise highest quality cables you can get.

Be kind to one another 🙂

xor1337
Explorer
yeah, that is a good room size I'd say. I have about 6x10 space and it works great. More room the better though. if I had 10x10 or even 15x15, it would be better. I used to have about 4.5x9 and that extra few feet really helped.