New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

OK, need tips and advice on getting started... Rift in the mail!!

GMoneyVR420GMoneyVR420 Posts: 2
NerveGear
I just purchased the Rift and Touch.  I am trying to pick up what to do at first , set ups, games.  please let me know what to download , join and what not. i am currently searching myself. thanks.! 

Comments

• TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 587
    Neo
    edited June 2018
    The main advice I can give you is to download and install the oculus app from the Microsoft store.

When you get your rift do not plug anything in or even put batteries into your controllers.  Wait until you’ve fired up the app and follow the setup wizard.  You’ll have a better chance that it will then install the correct drivers for everything.

Also, before this make sure your pc has the latest updates and drivers (esp your gpu).  Look at your disk space and decide beforehand where you want to install your games to.  My puny ssd c drive was getting pretty full so I just selected my much larger HD d drive.  Seems to be working fine.

Good luck!
    Alienware 17r4 Laptop with i7-7700hq 2.8/3.6, 32 gb ram, gtx1060 w/6gb ram, 256gb ssd, 1tb hdd, Oculus Rift w/2x sensors.  Now using an Alienware Graphics Amplifier (AGA) with Zotac gtx1080ti Blower and Asus vg248qe 144hz external monitor.  All works great!

Also have a 64gb Oculus Go which I love for travel and quick VR Fixes.  Looking forward to the Quest!
  • xor1337xor1337 Posts: 10
    NerveGear
    edited June 2018
    There is a free program called sensor bounds on the oculus store. It really helped me fine tune my sensor position. Also, I can't say how much it helps to buy the third sensor. Use task manager to make sure nothing else is running when trying to use oculus software. Many background tasks will really make your oculus experience much worse. I got three "medium" sized retractable dog leashes and used them to suspend the headset cable from above. It works really good, just make sure to get a dog leash that doesn't have too much retractable tension, so that your head isn't being pulled too hard when you move.
  • LuluViBritanniaLuluViBritannia Posts: 417
    Trinity
    edited June 2018
    First of all, run the Oculus Compatibility Tool to make sure your computer is actually ready for VR and make sure you have room for movement as VR uses motion gaming a lot.
    Then, download the Oculus install launcher, you can find it directly on their website.
    Follow the launcher : it will download and install all the drivers you need, and will tell you when to plug in the devices.
    Once the install is over, the software will give you instructions to set up your room. My advice : put the two sensors in "front mode" for the first install, to familiarize with the Rift and the way it works.
    Next will be a quick tutorial (it will launch by itself after the set-up). They will make you move your fingers, grab some stuff, point at some stuff... All the basic commands for any VR app.

Honestly, these steps are really straight-forward. I had to install the Rift several times and I never had to care about "when to plug the sensors", "when to plug the Rift" or other stuff, I just followed the instructions of the launcher ^^.

Once all this is done, my advice is you try out the free games.
    - Robo Recall is an arcade shooter with great graphics and terrific interactions (you can grab the robots, tear them apart, catch bullets in slow-motion, ...).
    - Then I suggest Rec Room, a multiplayer "virtual world" which offers a lot of little games: sports, laser tag, adventure quests, and Battle Royale. All that with other VR users, so that's great to meet people and socialize in VR.

After all this, you should be used to VR ^^. Then, you can change your set-up for better tracking : move the sensors, and run the set-up again (you can access it from the Oculus app, in the tab called "Devices").
    With 2 sensors, I suggest you put them in high places and tilt them down toward your play area. Also, you can put them in a "90° position" : one sensor looking in one direction (for example, put it in front of you), and the other looking in the perpendicular direction (in our example: put it on the left). With this setup, I would never be lost by the system, even when rotating or crouching.

Finally, you'll have to search for games you might like. Currently, VR offers games from all types : racing games, FPS games, RTS games, rythm games, adventure games, ... There are other software as well : art software (I suggest Tilt Brush and Oculus Medium ; Medium is free, so you can try it out whenever you want), Cinema VR apps (many apps allow you to duplicate your desktop screen on a virtual screen, that way you can use your computer in the VR app : imagine watching Game of Thrones on the summit of High Hrothgar in Skyrim! that's possible with Oculus Desktop), and many many more.
    Really, there're apps of all kind, so it's all up to you ^^.

With all that said, welcome to the VR community!

PS : @xor1337 suggested you used Sensor Bounds to check the tracking area of your set-up. While it is true, I would rather suggest Desk Scene, which does the same thing but is much less heavy (Sensor Bounds = 3GB to download ; Desk Scene = 90 MB). You can find it on Google, not on Oculus Store ^^.
    My current config : HP Omen laptop, 8 GB RAM, Intel i5-7300HQ @2.5GHz + Nvidia GTX 1050 (2GB VRAM).

Currently plays on :

- Beat Saber.
    - Windlands.
    - Skyrim VR.

I use VR for :
    - Games.
    - Art Software (Tilt Brush, Oculus Medium, Mocu Mocu Dance).
    - Cinema VR (Oculus Desktop or Virtual Desktop).

"Everything changes. Even the happy or funny things disappear. Can I still enjoy this place anyway?"
  • RattyUKRattyUK Posts: 513
    Neo
    What @LuluViBritannia ; & @vannagirl ; suggested, then, when you have your VR addiction go get SkyrimVR and maybe Fallout 4 VR  - just tell everyone you have decided to become a hermit o:)

If you go for Lone Echo be prepared for a particularly good storyline.

For pure fun I suggest Arizona Sunshine + Dead Man DLC.
    PC info: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, Asus ROG Crosshair VII Hero, 16GB Tforce Pro Dark DDR4 3200, Gigabyte GTX 1080, Samsung 850 Pro M.2, 2x 240GB SSD, 3TB WD Green HDD & 4 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, Corsair Modular 750w PSU, custom watercooling loop. (Win 10 Pro & Opensuse Leap 15 Linux) 32" AOC 4K Monitor.

Laptop: Aorus X5 V6-CF1 (I7-6820HK, GTX 1070, 2* 256GB M.2 NVME, 1TB 7200 HDD 3K screen)
  • phishh2017phishh2017 Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    install steam app and augment whatever games u get from oculus store with ones on steam/HTC that are not available through Oculus. need to tweak oculus setting to allow for 3rd party programs but otherwise they run fine. Recommend Tales of Glory, Skyrim VR/Fallout VR. Also most recent version Oculus home release is glitching a lot of systems so if you boot it up and its a jittery mess its probably cause of that till they patch it. And power through and VR equilibrium problems..takes a week or so then you wont even notice it. .basically like car/sea sickness
  • KlodsBrikKlodsBrik Posts: 817
    3Jane
    Other stuff you can prepare:

Fill a room up with food, snacks, water, coffee and other drinks you prefer.
    Make sure you have extra batteries for the controllers, just in case.
    Buy a matt for your playarea.

Other stuff you will definately need in the long run:
     A third sensor
     Extension cables and repeaters
     A fan for longer sessions to keep your cool

And then when you start gaming, you will have plenty of time to think of excuses to tell friends, family and your Boss, why you havent answered their calls or opened your door or been at work for the last month.

Be good, die great !
  • danknugzdanknugz Posts: 1,987
    3Jane
    buy Onward if you consider yourself a real man.
    A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
    Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
    A: Top-posting.
    Q: What is the most annoying thing on forums?
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 4,146 Valuable Player

All I can say is I'm completely caught up in Fallout 4 VR. I was always a fan of the franchise but now I think I'm going to have real problems ever going back to the monitor versions. Racing sims work very well too, Project CARS 2 is good fun.

Have a look at some of the free stuff too, Google Earth VR for example.

Gateway 2000, Pentium II 300 Mhz CPU, 64Mb RAM, STB Velocity 128 AGP Graphics Card with 4MB SGRAM, 6.4Gb Hard Drive, US Robotics 56.5kbps Internal Modem, 12/24x CDROM Drive, Ensoniq AudioPCI, Windows 95.
  • xor1337xor1337 Posts: 10
    NerveGear
    My suggestion is that for games that run on both steam and oculus platforms, buy the oculus version, it has been my experience that they run better with less juddering.
  • Digikid1Digikid1 Posts: 1,561 Valuable Player
    Take breaks often until you get used to vr. VR will make you feel weird the first few days. There’s quite a few good games on Oculus....not so much on steam. 

Use ACTIVE cables and repeaters if needed. 

Use teleport movement at first instead of free walking until you get used to vr. It WILL make you feel nauseous if you don’t. Also do it sitting down for the first little while. 

Recommended games:

Superhot ( be careful of your surroundings)

Star Trek Bridge Crew ( control the USS AEGIS with others online )

In Death ( bow/arrow game )

Beat Saber ( an awesome music game)

and most importantly.......HAVE FUN!!!!!!!
  • JeremyC85JeremyC85 Posts: 145
    Art3mis
    HIGHLY recommend: Chronos, Mage's Tale, Moss, and Lone Echo for games. For horror experiences/games, The Exorcist VR series, Dead Secret 1 & 2 (haven't played 2 yet but bough it).

Also, The Climb, Duck Season, and Witchblood get honorable mentions. Bought all three and really enjoyed them. I honestly believe its important to support developers right now to get VR going even more. Some really good experiences and games out there!
  • LuluViBritanniaLuluViBritannia Posts: 417
    Trinity
    Use teleport movement at first instead of free walking until you get used to vr. It WILL make you feel nauseous if you don’t.

This isn't exactly true. Free walking is not what induces motion sickness, smooth turning is. Going straight can't make you sick, because "translating" and "staying still" is the same for your internal ears (zero acceleration in both cases).
    Thus, staying still IRL while moving straight in VR can't make you sick (your internal ears don't feel any inconsistency).
    I rather suggest free walking with snap turning. Most of the games allow that. It they don't, then indeed, teleporting is a good start.
    My current config : HP Omen laptop, 8 GB RAM, Intel i5-7300HQ @2.5GHz + Nvidia GTX 1050 (2GB VRAM).

Currently plays on :

- Beat Saber.
    - Windlands.
    - Skyrim VR.

I use VR for :
    - Games.
    - Art Software (Tilt Brush, Oculus Medium, Mocu Mocu Dance).
    - Cinema VR (Oculus Desktop or Virtual Desktop).

"Everything changes. Even the happy or funny things disappear. Can I still enjoy this place anyway?"