New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Will there be a spike in GO sales? - JUNE 26th Amazon Europe Opens

Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 3,243 Valuable Player
edited June 2018 in Oculus Go
Tomorrow is the big day for Europeans in that Amazon will be selling the GO. At the moment it's only available as a pre-order. Due to ease of use and popularity of the store do you think there will be a sales spike or is there not enough advertising?

System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.

Comments

• LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,617 Volunteer Moderator
    I think there is not enough advertising, I showed the GO to my friends over the weekend, none of them heard of it, (they are not enthusiasts and mainly console players) ... they all loved it, 2 of them pre-ordered it.

I'm surprised Oculus is not pushing it harder, perhaps they are waiting for a full global launch at the end of the year and an improved catalogue of games. 
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
  • FailrunnerFailrunner Posts: 162
    Art3mis
    edited June 2018
    It would be nice if places like best buy let you try the headset out instead of treating people like thieves and locking them in glass cases. I was told if I went to Best buy you can demo it. I was at best Best buy today helping my father purchase a new sound bar and I noticed all the VR headsets were locked in glass cases(Including the Go). You would probably sell way more headsets if you had the sack to risk one theft! It's not like it can't be secured to stop people from taking it but at the same time be available to try out! If you just see these experiences in 2d they look like complete trash and will only make people not want to buy the headset. Also yes a little advertising wouldn't kill. Little to advertising didn't help Nintendo last gen and they're Nintendo!!!
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 4,264 Valuable Player
    edited June 2018

I'm expecting a bit of a hump.

I'm also planning a visit to Currys partly to see how they're selling it and if they having demos set up. Currys tend to have stuff on the counters but with security tethers so you can at least have a good look but I won't be surprised if there's no demo.

Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1809 (17763.348)
  • LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,617 Volunteer Moderator

I'm also planning a visit to Currys partly to see how they're selling it and if they having demos set up. Currys tend to have stuff on the counters but with security tethers so you can at least have a good look but I won't be surprised if there's no demo.

I think a demo would require some sort of hygiene wrap around the interface, maybe that is why? Mind you a single-use plastic cover cant be that expensive.
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
  • OsoroshiiOsoroshii Posts: 23
    Brain Burst
    It would be nice if places like best buy let you try the headset out instead of treating people like thieves and locking them in glass cases. I was told if I went to Best buy you can demo it. I was at best Best buy today helping my father purchase a new sound bar and I noticed all the VR headsets were locked in glass cases(Including the Go). You would probably sell way more headsets if you had the sack to risk one theft! It's not like it can't be secured to stop people from taking it but at the same time be available to try out! If you just see these experiences in 2d they look like complete trash and will only make people not want to buy the headset. Also yes a little advertising wouldn't kill. Little to advertising didn't help Nintendo last gen and they're Nintendo!!!
    Best Buy does do demos. I went to my local Best Buy and the gentlemen who were running the demo let me have a good 15 minutes with it before I purchased mine.
    Art3mis
    Osoroshii said:
    Best Buy does do demos. I went to my local Best Buy and the gentlemen who were running the demo let me have a good 15 minutes with it before I purchased mine.
    I'm talking about a floor unit that anyone can easily try.
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 4,264 Valuable Player

I think a demo would require some sort of hygiene wrap around the interface, maybe that is why? Mind you a single-use plastic cover cant be that expensive.

You could be right.

Thinking about it, I never like putting my face into something if I'm not sure of it's hygiene levels.

Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1809 (17763.348)
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 12,785 Valuable Player
    Time to keep an eye out on Android download stats. Let's see if we break 500,000 (the next category up from the current).

Oculus is already advertising this regional release on Facebook:

Oculus Go is now available in the UK, France, Germany, and other parts of the EU. With our first standalone VR headset you can jump into the best of virtual reality starting at just £199/€219.

Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • TopTexTopTex Posts: 19
    NerveGear
    It would be nice if places like best buy let you try the headset out instead of treating people like thieves and locking them in glass cases.
    They really shouldn't be locking people in glass cases....
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 12,785 Valuable Player
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
    Art3mis
    TopTex said:
    It would be nice if places like best buy let you try the headset out instead of treating people like thieves and locking them in glass cases.
    They really shouldn't be locking people in glass cases....
    Lol!