Rift SI 1.28 Now on Public Test Channel — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Rift SI 1.28 Now on Public Test Channel

cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
edited June 2018 in Oculus Rift S and Rift
We've started rolling out the latest Rift SI version 1.28 to the Public Test Channel. Changes include support for nine new languages, and the release of new Oculus Avatars. Be sure to try placing the new Avatar Editor mirror in your Home, and take it with you for use in apps like Brass Tactics and Epic Rollercoasters.
  • New language support
    • We’ve added support across core software, including Dash, Oculus desktop app and Oculus Home, for the following languages: Danish, Finnish, Dutch, Swedish, Spanish (Spain), Spanish (Latin American), Italian, Norwegian, and Polish.
    • You can change your language in the Oculus desktop app with the “Language Preference” option in the “General” tab on the “Settings” page.
  • Oculus desktop app
    • We’re starting to test personalized app recommendations on your Home Page.
    • We’ve added per-application language pack support for developers. As developers start to use this feature, you’ll see what languages are available for each application and set your specific language pack via the app’s Library detail panel.
  • Rift Core 2.0 Beta
    • We’ve upgraded the Oculus Avatars with new custom hair, skin shading, clothing, and eyewear designs. You can customize your avatar from within Home: select the “Avatar Editor” mirror from the “Special Items” category and place anywhere in your Home.
    • Developers who upgrade to the latest Avatar SDK will be able to utilize these new avatars in their apps.
June 29th Update:
We're rolling out some new features in the current Rift SI version 1.28 Public Test Channel release, including our first step towards multiplayer functionality in Home!
  • Rift Core 2.0 Beta
    • We're starting to roll out social features for Home. You can now invite people to your Home. Up to eight people can hang out in the same Home at a given time, and if you set your Home privacy to friends-only, your friends will be able to come over to your home whenever they'd like. For the initial release, your Home will be locked while you have guests. That means activities like editing your Home or playing with interactive objects are not supported in the current release. That said, we'll add more functionality to multiplayer over the coming months!
    • We've added experimental support for broadcasting your Oculus Desktop in multiplayer using the new Dash panel embedding feature. There are some technical limitations, which you can read about in the Rift Core 2.0 beta user guide.
    • New movement options are now available in Home. Check out your settings menu for a new “Movement” section where you can set up various options for moving around, including Walk Mode, Smooth Turning, and Snap Turning. While some of the new movement options like Walk Mode and Smooth Turning allow for direct control, they may not be comfortable for everyone. 
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

Comments

• MAC_MAN86MAC_MAN86 Posts: 2,081
    Wintermute
    Cool. I think many of us would love to have the option of a "no home" app/game launch just as Run As Admin was for OculusVR.exe but this stopped my mic working in Elite:Dangerous and will not revert back again. The improved performance was brilliant and is what we want from VR as a priority. OK?
  • NetheriNetheri Posts: 212
    Nexus 6
    MAC_MAN86 said:
    Cool. I think many of us would love to have the option of a "no home" app/game launch just as Run As Admin was for OculusVR.exe but this stopped my mic working in Elite:Dangerous and will not revert back again. The improved performance was brilliant and is what we want from VR as a priority. OK?
    +1
    i5-8600K@5GHz, Gigabyte 2080 Gaming OC, Corsair 32gb 3000MHz@3100MHz DDR4, ROG Strix Z370 H Gaming, 2 x Inateck 4 port USB 3.0 cards.
    Non-mandatory Home 2.0 and/or Dash in memoriam
  • Xboxmember1978Xboxmember1978 Posts: 88
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited June 2018
    I second that, plus an option to add 3rd party game shortcuts and customize their icons/pictures please.

We definitely need to look at how customizable Steamvr is compare to Oculus home.
  • MonstaahMonstaah Posts: 143
    Art3mis
    Anyone else having an issue with the avatar mirror?. I can place it and teleport to it, but i'm unable to access it, and end up with the pop up tethered to my controller =(
    PC Specs:

Black Box, with wires & some kind of electronicy stuff inside..
    oooh it even has lights!! =)
  • Heaney-555Heaney-555 Posts: 103
    Art3mis
    It's quite confusing that this new editor exists as well as the old one... when you click "Edit Avatar" on the Friends panel of Dash, it brings you to the old dedicated Avatar editor!
  • geebee666geebee666 Posts: 203
    Nexus 6
    edited June 2018
    From a user that had stuttering issues in 1.27 I did not believe it could be made worse but 1.28 has completely destroyed any usability in Core 2.
    And on another very concerning point :) my carbon fibre hands have now become pink skin hands, can't check to see if they can be reinstated as the home environment had me on the edge of vomiting from the lag, stuttering and distortion occurring.
    Art3mis
    It's quite confusing that this new editor exists as well as the old one... when you click "Edit Avatar" on the Friends panel of Dash, it brings you to the old dedicated Avatar editor!

Does the new one on the mirror work for you mate?.  it doesn't actually do anything for me.
    PC Specs:

• RichooalRichooal Posts: 1,041
    Wintermute
    Monstaah said:
    Anyone else having an issue with the avatar mirror?. I can place it and teleport to it, but i'm unable to access it, and end up with the pop up tethered to my controller =(
    It works fine for me.
    I don't want to state the obvious, but are you teleporting to the marker on the floor below the mirror? It kind of snaps in place when it's in the right position.
    i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - 0 PROBLEMS
    Art3mis
    Richooal said:
    It works fine for me.
    I don't want to state the obvious, but are you teleporting to the marker on the floor below the mirror? It kind of snaps in place when it's in the right position.
    Yeah, got no problem with teleporting to the blue spot on the floor, just doesn't do anything when I click edit avatar. I've tried it both with the room locked and unlocked, and nothing. 
    PC Specs:

• geebee666geebee666 Posts: 203
    Nexus 6
    From an reddit oculus post, it makes the lag etc. drop back to the 1.27 level, still basically unusable but not vomit inducing

[–]CURTROCK 3 points 3 hours ago 

Major judder in my default HOME space with 1.28, until I used the new Avatar Editor...after editing my avatar : no more judder.

• Radium226Radium226 Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    Since the update, the floor is 3 meters under me, so I'm flying. I have made some sensors calibrations, no way to correct that issue :neutral: .

• Digikid1Digikid1 Posts: 1,859 Valuable Player
    Radium226 said:
    Since the update, the floor is 3 meters under me, so I'm flying. I have made some sensors calibrations, no way to correct that issue :neutral: .

You’ll have to do a full setup again. 
  • RattyUKRattyUK Posts: 667
    Neo
    Updated to 1.28 last night.  Had a look this morning and a couple of issues:
    Avatar editor mirror displays avatar image (must change it, I'm looking like a golden, young, John Lennon!) but Edit button doesn't do anything except move the mirror upwards.
    Trigger on Screens/ arcade machine just crashes out to restart Home from the default home (in my case #1, noticed first when I got evicted from #4 back to #1)

No apparent performance issues.  Nvidia driver version: 398.36
    PC info: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, Asus ROG Crosshair VII Hero, 16GB Tforce Pro Dark DDR4 3200, Gigabyte GTX 1080, Samsung 870 Pro M.2, 2x 240GB SSD, 3TB WD Green HDD & 4 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, Corsair Modular 750w PSU, custom watercooling loop. (Win 10 Pro & Opensuse Leap 15 Linux) 32" AOC 4K Monitor.

Laptop: Aorus X5 V6-CF1 (I7-6820HK, GTX 1070, 2* 256GB M.2 NVME, 1TB 7200 HDD 3K screen)
  • Radium226Radium226 Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    edited June 2018
    Digikid1 said:
    You’ll have to do a full setup again. 
    Sorry, forgot to say I even done a full setup.

Edit: I will test without the beta canal and riftcore 2.0. => Now, after a new calibration, floor is fixed. :smile:
  • nemphisnemphis Posts: 7
    NerveGear
    edited June 2018
    Add Russian
  • MikeFMikeF Posts: 570
    Neo
    Avatar editor doesnt work for me. Snap to mirror then pressing button just moves the mirror downward a few cm
  • LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,738 Volunteer Moderator
    edited June 2018
    Hey, folks could you provide feedback via the app please? This goes str8 to devs. Thanks!

Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
  • NetheriNetheri Posts: 212
    Nexus 6
    Hey, folks could you provide feedback via the app? This goes str8 to devs. Thanks!

That's cool! I guess there's lot's of c-pasta on the way to devs now..  :D
    i5-8600K@5GHz, Gigabyte 2080 Gaming OC, Corsair 32gb 3000MHz@3100MHz DDR4, ROG Strix Z370 H Gaming, 2 x Inateck 4 port USB 3.0 cards.
    Non-mandatory Home 2.0 and/or Dash in memoriam
  • Digikid1Digikid1 Posts: 1,859 Valuable Player
    nemphis said:
    Where russian? A lot of Russian players use oculus, add Russian. I prefer the rift, I did not buy a wive, I do not like it, but I would like to have the support of the Russian language
    That’s great!!!!  There’s no real love in buying a wive. LOL
    Neo
    Has anyone found a cause or solution for the edit avatar button not working?
    Art3mis
    MikeF said:

can't say I did anything at all myself mate, but was having the same issue and seems to have been fixed, at least for me. Have another go and see what happens.. 

p.s. hold still and see if there's a running white ring around the mirror, that's all you get to tell you it's loading, =/ I wasn't sure if I was supposed to jump to another room or something so it's a lil confusing the first time around that it works..
    PC Specs:

• Calimero_OeufCalimero_Oeuf Posts: 53
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited June 2018
    Add message system in friend list !!!
    Add what game we are playing when it a 3rd party software runnning

it is more important than new hairs !
    Ma configuration Oculus Rift + 3 capteurs et câbles longueur 5 mètres :
    Cable USB 3.0 en 5 mètres x4
    Cable HDMI en 5 mètres x1
    Répétiteur HDMI x1
    Hub USB 3.0 pour 1 ou 2 capteurs x1
    Hub USB alimenté pour le casque  x1

• LuluViBritanniaLuluViBritannia Posts: 453
    Trinity
    Okay, that's it, I'm out of the PTS. I usually love being among the first to try new features, and I can usually stand the problems, but in VR, stuttering is really annoying and with this update, there's a lot, even in game. Beat Saber (which is not a demanding game) suffered from stuttering!

Aside from that, I love the Avatar Editor inside Home, but... did you get rid of all the previous avatar features? I had a sort of "night sky" texture and a cow-boy hat, I loved them but now they're gone! Why would you erase them? Or does it need to be unlocked somehow?
    Current VR results imo:
    - Great small apps. Great ports of bigger games.
    - Great VR-specific features. Not enough showcased!!!
    - Too many actors in the industry, the market is totally broken.

My hopes for VR next gen:

- Better ratio between visual quality and power needs. No more godrays and less SDE.
    - Full Body Tracking.

"If you don't mind, do you want me to take you there? Where dreams come true."
    Neo
    Monstaah said:
    MikeF said:

can't say I did anything at all myself mate, but was having the same issue and seems to have been fixed, at least for me. Have another go and see what happens.. 

p.s. hold still and see if there's a running white ring around the mirror, that's all you get to tell you it's loading, =/ I wasn't sure if I was supposed to jump to another room or something so it's a lil confusing the first time around that it works..
    Ah thanks for the tip but still no dice
    Wintermute
    edited June 2018
    Okay, that's it, I'm out of the PTS. I usually love being among the first to try new features, and I can usually stand the problems, but in VR, stuttering is really annoying and with this update, there's a lot, even in game. Beat Saber (which is not a demanding game) suffered from stuttering!

Aside from that, I love the Avatar Editor inside Home, but... did you get rid of all the previous avatar features? I had a sort of "night sky" texture and a cow-boy hat, I loved them but now they're gone! Why would you erase them? Or does it need to be unlocked somehow?

Bring back the hats! Bring back the hats!
    I can't believe a US based avatar editor doesn't have, at the very least, a baseball cap.
    Art3mis
    Add message system in friend list !!!
    Add what game we are playing when it a 3rd party software runnning

it is more important than new hairs !

Not true mate, new hairs ARE important!!..lol :p  ooh and my hat!!

But seriously, don't you use the voice chat?  I mean I've got my keyboard on a swivel on the armrest of my chair, but I wouldn't bother even if I had the option, i'd still just use voice..
    PC Specs:

• kzintzikzintzi Posts: 1,068
    Wintermute
    there needs to be a wider range of facial hair.. I don't  have a massive mung-bean style beard, I have a svelt stylish one :tongue:

Though you are more than slightly incoherent, I agree with you Madam,
    a plum is a terrible thing to do to a nostril.
  • joedanimationjoedanimation Posts: 6
    NerveGear
    Any chance we can get hats back?  And maybe some non-wild and crazy glasses?  I much prefer my old avatar, because it actually resembled me, and wasn't distracting.  These avatars are pretty uncanny imho.  Better yet, could we just get Facebook Spaces avatars in Home?  Those are far more appealing if you want to go in the direction of "more naturalistic".
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    edited June 2018
    June 29th Update:
    We're rolling out some new features in the current Rift SI version 1.28 Public Test Channel release, including our first step towards multiplayer functionality in Home!
    • Rift Core 2.0 Beta
      • We're starting to roll out social features for Home. You can now invite people to your Home. Up to eight people can hang out in the same Home at a given time, and if you set your Home privacy to friends-only, your friends will be able to come over to your home whenever they'd like. For the initial release, your Home will be locked while you have guests. That means activities like editing your Home or playing with interactive objects are not supported in the current release. That said, we'll add more functionality to multiplayer over the coming months!
      • We've added experimental support for broadcasting your Oculus Desktop in multiplayer using the new Dash panel embedding feature. There are some technical limitations, which you can read about in the Rift Core 2.0 beta user guide.
      • New movement options are now available in Home. Check out your settings menu for a new “Movement” section where you can set up various options for moving around, including Walk Mode, Smooth Turning, and Snap Turning. While some of the new movement options like Walk Mode and Smooth Turning allow for direct control, they may not be comfortable for everyone. 
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
    Wintermute
    edited June 2018
    June 29th Update:
    • Rift Core 2.0 Beta
      • We've added experimental support for broadcasting your Oculus Desktop in multiplayer using the new Dash panel embedding feature. There are some technical limitations, which you can read about in the Rift Core 2.0 beta user guide.

Maybe I'm just a bit too conservative, but sharing my desktop with VR "friends" seems a little too much.

June 29th Update:

These controls work really well. I'm sure lots of users will like this.