New to the forums? Click here to read the How To guide. -- Developers click here.

Welcome to Oculus Medium 2.0!

naomi.cornmannaomi.cornman Posts: 154 Oculus Staff

It’s been 18 months since Oculus Medium launched, and now we’re out with our biggest update yet!

Medium 2.0!

This update delivers many user-requested core sculpting features, like increased layer limit, grid snapping, and multiple lights. We also have a new file management system, scene graph, and a major UI facelift that allows for faster and more intuitive navigation of Medium’s tools, settings, and options.

With Medium 2.0, you’ll spend more time in flow, ideation, and creation!

Release notes below. 

Tagged:

Comments

• naomi.cornmannaomi.cornman Posts: 154 Oculus Staff
    edited June 28

Check out how to use the new 2.0 features with how-to videos on the Learn Page and in our updated Manual.

Faster, stronger, better:

• Major workflow improvements with the new Asset Browser and Scene Graph. Users now have faster context switching, customizable scene hierarchy, and easier setup for integration into project and asset pipelines.

• Reduced memory usage and improved performance with a new, Vulkan-based graphics engine.

Core Sculpting Updates:

• Move Tool:

• Elastic move option for more physically realistic deformations, letting you pull and stretch the sculpt in a more natural way

• Grid snap and angle snap - good for hard surface and precise angles

• Plane constraint for the Clay tool makes sculpting flat areas much easier

• Add up to 8 lights, choosing between Spotlight or Pointlight types, with one shadow map on one spotlight

• Layer limit has been increased from 20 to 100 on most configurations.

• Newer AMD Vega cards and users on Windows 8.1 will have 50-layer limits

• Resolution visualization: hover over a resolution operation to view your layer’s current density level before changing

• Import mesh updates:

• Import directly as sculptable clay

• Multiple layers - bring FBX or OBJ’s as separate sculptable layers

• Choose the starting sculpt resolution of your mesh at import with the Layer Fill option

• Imported meshes come in at the center of the sculpt transform

• Number of undo operations has increased from 32 to 64

• Use colored stamps! When you make a stamp from a layer or import a stamp with textures/ vertex colors, it will retain its colors. Tint with overall clay tool color section if desired.

• Updated color picker offers more control and precision

• Reduced memory usage across the app, so detailed sculpts to be created on a broader range of machines

• Performance improvements-- higher framerates with less hitching, due to the new graphics engine

• New streamlined Share to Facebook flow is easier to use and shares are much faster

Bring your sculpt into Oculus Home:

• Fill your Oculus Home with your Medium sculpts. Share your creations to Home without leaving VR.

Bug Fixes:

• Move tool preview now updates normals and shadow maps for a more accurate preview

• Move tool supports scaling with thumbstick up/down

• Progress bar now works with decimation.

Known Problems:

• Capturing a 2D recording over a long period of time can cause hitching and the audio to get out of sync

• Looking at directories with over 64 subfolders can cause the directory watcher not to work when you add new assets for that directory while Medium is open.

• Some preview mesh colors will delay in loading

• There’s currently no way to see the photos you take in Medium, in Medium. Please use the Windows file browser for that.

Getting ready to use 2.0

Change in Recommended Spec for Medium

We’ve improved Medium’s performance and memory usage to allow for dynamic sculpting, smooth usability, and rich detailing. To be confident you’re taking advantage of the best we have to offer in graphics improvements, SDF operations, and scene management - not to mention the ability to use Medium models with Home - we recommend using Windows 10 on recommended spec computers for 2.0. Using the most up to date drivers on your GPU will help even further. You may still use Windows 7 and 8 and enjoy the core functionality of Medium but we will no longer support those OS's.

If you're using Medium for a Project

2.0 has a completely new UI that helps foster dynamic sculpting and faster context switching. However, if you’re in the middle of a project or up against a deadline, and don’t want to update to a new UI layout just yet, we understand your pain and would like to try to accommodate.

How to stick with Medium 1.3.3 due to OS or Production Reasons

Email [email protected] and we’ll whitelist you to the current version of Medium, Medium 1.3.3. We cannot guarantee every case will be allowed to roll back to 1.3.3, but we will do our best.

• wyattsavwyattsav Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Is this update released yet or is this just an announcement?
  • LuluViBritanniaLuluViBritannia Posts: 368
    Trinity
    @wyattsav I'm currently downloading it so I guess it has been released ^^. It shouldn't take long before you can download it.
    Previous VR face :

My current config : HP Omen laptop, 8 GB RAM, Intel i5-7300HQ @2.5GHz + Nvidia GTX 1050 (2GB VRAM).

Currently plays on :

- Beat Saber.
    - Windlands.
    - Skyrim VR.

I use VR for :
    - Games.
    - Art Software (Tilt Brush, Oculus Medium, Mocu Mocu Dance).
    - Cinema VR (Oculus Desktop or Virtual Desktop).

"You are allowed to kill only if you are prepared to die."
    It's live now! Go to your Oculus Library and check for the update! 
  • SmallpolySmallpoly Posts: 17
    NerveGear
    edited June 28
    Awesome! I'm loving the new features.

Piece of feedback:
    Trying to grab the hierarchy menu when it was out of reach was a bit funky. Seems like at the moment you can only grab it when targeting certain parts (e.g. the top)?
  • wahwah1975wahwah1975 Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    edited June 28
    Medium was brilliant (admittedly some memory leaks and feature set was a little limited)......but 2.0, wow! Knocked it out the park guys and girls. Really incredible work!

Multiple lights, snap to grid and more layers, total game changer in my opinion!
  • kojackkojack Posts: 4,648 Volunteer Moderator
    Snap to angle and grid? Yay!

• DeadlyJoeDeadlyJoe Posts: 775
    3Jane
    Yaaaay!!!  But you announce this while I'm stuck at work for another four hours. Booo!!!

• blummblumm Posts: 28
    Brain Burst
    Oh my! This so awesome and I can’t wait to test this out- colored stamps, grid snapping... I think I got tears in my eyes 
  • thoiterthoiter Posts: 25
    Brain Burst
    A very welcome update and it looks epic.  The snap function alone increases the functionality enormously, and the other improvements look bang on point.  Medium is now a serious tool. Great work.
    Smallpoly said:
    Awesome! I'm loving the new features.

Piece of feedback:
    Trying to grab the hierarchy menu when it was out of reach was a bit funky. Seems like at the moment you can only grab it when targeting certain parts (e.g. the top)?
    Exactly, to move the scene graph, you have to select it from any of the blue area with your trigger, then move it with your grip, as you do with clay. Demonstrated here:  Hope that helps! 
  • FrozenPeaFrozenPea Posts: 2,535 Valuable Player
    daaaaaaaaaamn, can't wait to try it out, so excited!! 

If only work would calm down a bit so I have some time!
  • AymitoAymito Posts: 40
    Brain Burst
    edited June 29
    with version 2 I am getting a fatal error with Medium has crashed ?? older version where working fine ,,what happened ?? :/
    Aymito said:
    with version 2 I am getting a fatal error with Medium has crashed ?? older version where working fine ,,what happened ?? :/
    When are you encountering the "fatal error Medium has crashed?" On Start? If so, you may also want to try:

- Updating to the latest graphic card drivers. Stop the Oculus Runtime service, uninstall and reinstall my GFX drivers, and then start the service once more.

- Delete your Preferences folder in My Documents

• GoguerreroGoguerrero Posts: 7
    NerveGear
    yesterday I was able to import images and reference meshes with no problem, today I can't  other than that the update is awesome I love it
  • digitalblasphemydigitalblasphemy Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I love the new 2.0 version.   Great work team!   I noticed this morning however that my hard disk had run out of space.   It turns out two .log files in /USER/AppData/LocalLow/Oculus/Medium/log were over 100GB each (and growing).   Perhaps this is because I am still running Windows 7?    Perhaps because I left the software open while I worked on something else?   Either way, there should probably be some kind of maximum set for these files.
  • ivan.solyaevivan.solyaev Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    edited June 30
    Exactly the same problem! log files 60gb ....win10
  • jessicazetajessicazeta Posts: 127 Oculus Staff
    @Goguerrero now you can bring in images and meshes in other folders, not just be Medium library  My Documents. Try moving your references to the Desktop and favoriting that folder with the green star. Can you see them now? 
  • kentcaldwellkentcaldwell Posts: 6
    NerveGear
    Really, really loving 2.0... I have a weird bug to report, though. Whenever I am finished and go "exit medium," I think the ticking thinking sound indefinitely. I have to open the task manager and force crash / quit the app each time. Running a dell xp 8900 machine, never had this kind of issue with Medium 1.0 or any other VR apps.
  • thoiterthoiter Posts: 25
    Brain Burst
    edited July 1
    Really, really loving 2.0... I have a weird bug to report, though. Whenever I am finished and go "exit medium," I think the ticking thinking sound indefinitely. I have to open the task manager and force crash / quit the app each time. Running a dell xp 8900 machine, never had this kind of issue with Medium 1.0 or any other VR apps.
    A lot of people are having this issue, myself included. Hopefully it will be sorted soon.
    Trinity
    edited July 1
    naomi.cornman :  Hello, I'd like to give a few feedbacks about memory usage in Medium 2.0:
    - As it was stated in this thread, in AppData/LocalLow/Oculus/Medium/log, sometimes one of the log files is incredibly big. After the first day of Medium 2.0, one of my log files were worth 4GB. Maybe it would be worth warning the user to check those files, just in case, until this is fixed ^^.

- The RAM usage increases within the session. That's okay, of course... until I realized the memory usage doesn't reset when I make a new sculpt. Isn't this a bug? I mean, if I reset the scene, the memory usage should lower (and then get bigger again as I put more matter in the scene), isn't it?
    This point is important to me, because I have relatively few RAM (8GB). I can make one or two sculpts until I get the infamous message ("Windows doesn't have enough memory"...), and then I have to reset the software to lower the RAM and make another one or two sculpts.
    The way I understand it, making a new file should lower the RAM usage. For now it feels like Medium keeps in mind the variables about the previously-opened files, yet those aren't opened anymore so these variables should be closed as well. Am I wrong?

Aside from these problems (which I have no doubt will be quickly solved!), thank you for this marvelous software. I always wanted to do 3D modeling (I learned to use Blender before), but using a 3D-software with a small 2D-interface (a.k.a the computer screen) is incredibly unpractical...
    Previous VR face :

My current config : HP Omen laptop, 8 GB RAM, Intel i5-7300HQ @2.5GHz + Nvidia GTX 1050 (2GB VRAM).

Currently plays on :

- Beat Saber.
    - Windlands.
    - Skyrim VR.

I use VR for :
    - Games.

• kdolphinkdolphin Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    edited July 3
    Hi There!

The 2.0 update is amazing, but for me sadly it has rendered medium completely unusable. Every time I try to open a previously saved sculpt, medium freezes and very big pixels start filling the screen, and after that my computer freezes completely. Here is a picture i took of the medium window:

Has anyone else experienced this? Also before this huge bug I was getting the perpetual ticking clock after i exited the app. I have an nvidia gtx1080 with updated drivers.

Any help or indication would be much appreciated! I love this software!

UPDATE: The problem was caused by importing an external mesh into a layer with high resolution and scaling it up a lot  with the new translate/rotate/scale controls. This drives the cpu into overload and makes everything crash. In other projects where i import the same model but keep it at a smaller scale, everything works perfectly!

• GoguerreroGoguerrero Posts: 7
    NerveGear
    @Goguerrero now you can bring in images and meshes in other folders, not just be Medium library  My Documents. Try moving your references to the Desktop and favoriting that folder with the green star. Can you see them now? 
    @jessicazeta Yes, I was so used to the previous method but this is so much better. Thanks

• eithmaneithman Posts: 21
    Brain Burst
    I can only wish for future versions to be able to retopologize the mesh or be capable of exporting assets animation-ready
  • AerotuneAerotune Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    edited July 4
    Where do I post bug reports?

Since I updated to this version the memory usage of Medium quickly went to 5-6gb and I got a memory warning while sculpting simple models. I have 8gb ram installed. If I continued modelling Medium would freeze. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling and I'm able to use Medium again.
  • AerotuneAerotune Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    I tried to load in another project and the materials editor was on the floor. I tried moving it with the grip button but I couldn't and when I pressed one of the buttons (I think it was 'metal') the application froze. Can I send an error log or something?
  • ma3ajinx2ma3ajinx2 Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    edited July 5
    I am working with medium 1.0 for quiet some time now and making a simple sculpt in 2.0 is eating up my memory faster than i can eat a piece of cake. It also uses up a lot of GPU power (up to 95%) and my virtual right hand shows incredible lag to such an extent that i need to wait up to a minute for it to move again. 

So far guys, you ruined a great product ... i will have to wait, until you guys fix it. 
    Trinity
    @ma3ajinx2 : In Medium 2.0, you can change the resolution of each layer (I may be wrong, but I don't remember that tool was available in 1.0). If the application eats up too much GPU and memory, that may be because the default resolution is higher than the one from Medium 1.0. Just decrease the resolution for some layers, it should be a relief for your computer xD.
    That said, saying they "ruined" the product just because of some problems, that's harsh. The interface is much smoother and the various new tools were essential assets for accurate 3D-modeling. There is a lot of room for optimization though, I agree, but Medium 2.0 is undoubtedly a major step forward.
    Also, the team can allow you to stay on 1.0 version. I think you have to send them a mail or something... Check it out if Medium 2.0 is really unusable for you.

That said, I would like to report another problem : when using Dash, there are two "Avatar objects" moving at the same time (the one from the app, and the one from Dash). As a result, Dash is totally unusable in Medium.
    There should be a way to lock the character from Medium while using Dash, you should implement it!
    Previous VR face :

Currently plays on :

- Beat Saber.
    - Windlands.
    - Skyrim VR.

I use VR for :
    - Games.

• starakatstarakat Posts: 9
    NerveGear
    Aymito said:
    When are you encountering the "fatal error Medium has crashed?" On Start? If so, you may also want to try:

- Updating to the latest graphic card drivers. Stop the Oculus Runtime service, uninstall and reinstall my GFX drivers, and then start the service once more.

- Delete your Preferences folder in My Documents

I'm having the same problem about 5 minutes, sometimes more, sometimes less after launching Medium.  I tried your suggestions but I'm still having the same issue.  A