New To The Forum? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. -- Developers Click Here.

July Platform Updates: Hang Out with Friends in Rift Core 2.0—Early Social Features Rolling Out Now!

cyberealitycybereality Posts: 25,119 Oculus Staff
edited June 29 in Oculus Rift + Touch
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

Comments

• MAC_MAN86MAC_MAN86 Posts: 784
    Trinity
    I'd rather have a No Home Option as this kind of thing is a Social App.
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 4,071 Power Poster
    Just saw this on Reddit--looks awesome!! Also, thumbstick locomotion in Home has been added too!!
    i7 5820K 4.25 GHz | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair LPX 32GB DDR4 3000 | Corsair Hydro H100i | Corsair HX750
    EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Samsung 850 Evo SSD 1 TB | Samsung 840 Evo SSD 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3TB
    My Oculus Medium sketchbook thread, and my Oculus Medium Gallery
  • BrixmisBrixmis Posts: 1,561
    Project 2501
    As long as I won't be required to have a Facebook account ;)
    I'm an old duffer - give me a break!

• RattyUKRattyUK Posts: 269
    Nexus 6
    That sucks!  Now I'll have to wait even longer to finish my custom watercooling loop as I'll have to head back to Home to play with proper locomotion, pimping my Avatar, then looking out for any friends who I can invade visit.

And then there is still the outing in SkyrimVR with Mjoll calling out to me too...

Oh Woe! :p
    PC info: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, Asus ROG Crosshair VII Hero, 16GB Tforce Pro Dark DDR4 3200, Gigabyte GTX 1080, Samsung 850 Pro M.2, 2x 240GB SSD, 3TB WD Green HDD & 4 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, Corsair Modular 750w PSU, custom watercooling loop. (Win 10 Pro & Opensuse Leap 15 Linux) 32" AOC 4K Monitor.

Laptop: Aorus X5 V6-CF1 (I7-6820HK, GTX 1070, 2* 256GB M.2 NVME, 1TB 7200 HDD 3K screen)
  • Digikid1Digikid1 Posts: 771
    3Jane
    Agreed on the no Facebook thing. 
  • RichooalRichooal Posts: 583
    Neo
    Digikid1 said:
    Agreed on the no Facebook thing. 
    +1
    It's becoming just another social platform.

This stuff should be completely separate, but launchable, from within a more basic VR UI.

i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - 0 PROBLEMS
  • LuluViBritanniaLuluViBritannia Posts: 109
    Art3mis
    Are you kidding me??? I just rolled out of PTC, and now I want to join in again xD!
    Well, I'll just wait because I'm scared of performance issues right now... But I'm glad that multiplayer is already here! And being able to share Oculus Desktop? That's an awesome surprise!!!

@Richooal : All this is optional, so I don't see where the problem is. That said, if you don't want to go through Home, you can just launch the VR app from your desktop.
    My VR face :

My current config : HP Omen laptop, 8 GB RAM, Intel i5-7300 HD @2.5GHz + Nvidia GTX 1050 (2GB VRAM).
    Owner of an Oculus DK2 and an Oculus CV1.
    Currently plays on :
    - Rec Room.
    - Beat Saber.
    - Skyrim VR.

I use VR for :
    - Games.
    - Art Software (Tilt Brush, Oculus Medium, Mocu Mocu Dance).
    - Cinema VR (Oculus Desktop in Google Earth or Skyrim, or Virtual Desktop).
  • FlukeFluke Posts: 176
    Art3mis
    Anyone actually managed to invite someone to their home? The friends option doesn't show anyone underneath it, and all my friends homes no longer show up. My favourites list has also been wiped.

Just talked to a mate via party chat, and the same has happened to him - there doesn't appear to be any functional way for either of us to invite the other person (yes, homes are set to public).
    In-VR Gaming Convention: http://queue.vip/8nNttrc
  • RattyUKRattyUK Posts: 269
    Nexus 6
    The new update appears to give you headset tracking too, walking in a straight line (nothing stronger than cola so far today...) and looking to left or right moves you in that direction!

Nice one Devs B)
    PC info: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, Asus ROG Crosshair VII Hero, 16GB Tforce Pro Dark DDR4 3200, Gigabyte GTX 1080, Samsung 850 Pro M.2, 2x 240GB SSD, 3TB WD Green HDD & 4 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, Corsair Modular 750w PSU, custom watercooling loop. (Win 10 Pro & Opensuse Leap 15 Linux) 32" AOC 4K Monitor.

Laptop: Aorus X5 V6-CF1 (I7-6820HK, GTX 1070, 2* 256GB M.2 NVME, 1TB 7200 HDD 3K screen)
  • dburnedburne Posts: 1,270
    Wintermute
    edited June 30
    OK I give up!
    How in the blazes do I put the new Avatar Editor back away?? I opened it and have it in my Home, made some adjustments to my Avatar and saved. Now I can't figure out how to put the editor back away?

Edit: Never mind I managed to stumble across it lol. All put away now.
    Don

EVGA X-79 Dark MB|I7 [email protected] GHz|EVGA 1080Ti FTW3 Elite|16GB Corsair Platinum 2133MHz| TM Warthog + 7.5cm Ext| MFG Crosswind Pedals| Rift CV1|Windows 10 64 bit 
    3Jane
    okay I tried the beta and there are a couple things that are SUPER annoying.....and I better not get the standard " submit a bug report" response.  LOL!!!!

1.) There is a popup over my "watch" that will simply not go away!!!!
    2.) There is no option anywhere to invite friends over.
  • MystaMagooMystaMagoo Posts: 49
    Brain Burst
    is this the update whereby us win7 users get shafted?
    Art3mis
    edited July 3
    @MystaMagoo : that's what you get when you don't follow the trend :lol: .
    Seriously though, I could never understand why people would stay on Windows 7 when Windows 10 update was free. Windows 10 is much more fluid and has much more tools (for example, for a system reboot  reset it offers you the ability to keep your files, whereas a system reboot reset on Windows 7 used to erase everything). Only the interface is ugly (compared to Windows 7 that is).
    Also, as I understand it, the old OS won't be banned from Oculus, it just won't be supported (meaning the future updates will be optimized for Windows 10). It will still work on Windows 7, but it will be less good than on Windows 10. That's all.
    My VR face :

My current config : HP Omen laptop, 8 GB RAM, Intel i5-7300 HD @2.5GHz + Nvidia GTX 1050 (2GB VRAM).
    Currently plays on :
    - Rec Room.
    - Beat Saber.
    - Skyrim VR.

I use VR for :
    - Games.
    3Jane
    @MystaMagoo : that's what you get when you don't follow the trend :lol: .
    Seriously though, I could never understand why people would stay on Windows 7 when Windows 10 update was free. Windows 10 is much more fluid and has much more tools (for example, for a system reboot it offers you the ability to keep your files, whereas a system reboot on Windows 7 used to erase everything). Only the interface is ugly (compared to Windows 7 that is).
    Also, as I understand it, the old OS won't be banned from Oculus, it just won't be supported (meaning the future updates will be optimized for Windows 10). It will still work on Windows 7, but it will be less good than on Windows 10. That's all.
    Err....wrong terminology there.  It’s called a system RESET. 
    Art3mis
    edited July 3
    @Digikid1 : Meh, whatever. I personally don't see any difference ^^. The button to restart consoles was called "reset", so I don't have any reason to change the name for PCs. So when I talk about restarting PC, I call that a reset, and when I talk about recovery system, I call that a reboot.
    My VR face :

Currently plays on :
    - Rec Room.
    - Beat Saber.
    - Skyrim VR.

I use VR for :
    - Games.
  • RichooalRichooal Posts: 583
    Neo
    So when I talk about restarting PC, I call that a reset, and when I talk about recovery system, I call that a reboot.

There's only one thing to say about that..............

"that's what you get when you don't follow the trend lol ."
    i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - 0 PROBLEMS
    3Jane
    edited July 3
    @Digikid1 : Meh, whatever. I personally don't see any difference ^^. The button to restart consoles was called "reset", so I don't have any reason to change the name for PCs. So when I talk about restarting PC, I call that a reset, and when I talk about recovery system, I call that a reboot.
    I ONLY told you that so that you don't confuse others.  If you use the incorrect terms that you will start an avalanche of people getting it wrong all the time. 

A perfect example is when people call a computer a "Hard Drive" when it is not.  Another example is when people call Hard Drive storage as " Memory ".  That is also incorrect.

Just a FYI.  I am not trying to disrespect you in any way. ;)
    Art3mis
    edited July 3
    @Digikid1 : Of course, I know ^^.

A perfect example is when people call a computer a "Hard Drive"

There's a difference though. My terminology may be wrong, the fact remains that "reboot" and "reset" are similar words (the proof is, as I said : what is called "reboot" for a PC is called "reset" for a console), thus it's easy to understand even when those two are confused. In your example, "hard drive" and "computer" have completely different definitions, so confusing those two has more consequences in the meaning of the speech.
    A more accurate example would be : I called a "green apple", a "red apple". It's still an apple, thus it isn't hard to understand what I'm talking about. And as far as I am concerned, being understandable is all that matters in a speech.
    That said, I will rectify my previous comment, will you forgive me then? (just kidding xD)
    My VR face :

Currently plays on :
    - Rec Room.
    - Beat Saber.
    - Skyrim VR.

I use VR for :
    - Games.
  • oldgamergazzaoldgamergazza Posts: 37
    Brain Burst
    Any way to get this to start in desktop mode?