I need a good freeware screenshot utility. — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

I need a good freeware screenshot utility.

Techy111Techy111 Posts: 6,109 Volunteer Moderator
As per the title I am looking for a good screenshot utility. I want one that has a single press of a button (not combination of buttons) to save a windowed screenshot. I have tried Greenshot but with VR open and DCS running the buttons don't seem to work for some reason. I need one that can take multiple screenies without showing a preview. Just in simple Jpeg or PNG.......anyone have anything they recommend ?
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

Comments

• kojackkojack Posts: 5,285 Volunteer Moderator
    I use Fraps. It's a bit old, but I bought a license years ago and it still works. It's $49.95au at the moment, which isn't exactly the freeware you want.

OBS is good for video (and is free), but it has no screenshot ability.

Nvidia's ShadowPlay has screenshots, but I can't get them to work.

The easiest one is probably the Windows 10 game dvr. Just press WIndows-Alt-PrintScreen and Win10 will take a screenshot and save it in the C:\Users\yourname\Videos\Captures\ directory as a png.
    I just tested it on Medium, it saved a 1600x1200 version of the mirror view.
    It does let you change the capture key shortcut, but it refuses to accept single keys, you MUST use a combo with either control, shift, alt or win. :(
    You could probably use a macro program (autohotkey or similar, or something that comes with your keyboard like the corsair macro key recording) to trick it into doing the combo sequence from a single key. I haven't tried though.

• Techy111Techy111 Posts: 6,109 Volunteer Moderator
    Tried that mate and a no go. Anyone else got any ideas???
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.