cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Having trouble starting Oculus . Your Oculus software may be updating.

harryinthesoup
Protege
"We're Having trouble Starting Oculus
 Your Oculus software may be updating. Please wait a minute and try again. If the issue continues, contact Oculus Support"
Got the error, waited a few hours and reported to Support as suggested.
 I have never had this before except when Oculus was indeed updating and over in a few minutes.
Support got back to me and suggested do a REPAIR which I did and all was good again.
 Then is happened again this morning and I repaired again and once again all good.
Then this afternoon it happened again , so I did some digging around and closed off all startup services that could  potentially (Why ?) interfere with Oculus.
 Still no go.
 I then looked at services (though Task Manager) and noticed the OVRService was not running so I started it and Hooray! managed to start Oculus up.
Anyone got any idea what would have stopped this service running ? Could it be anything to do with running a game via Steam ? (which was the last big activity before it happened the last time).
 Anyway as a Tip, if you do get the "trouble starting Oculus" message , might be worth a try checking that the OVRService is running and if not start it before needing to contact support.

12 REPLIES 12

harryinthesoup
Protege
Just looked at the windows logs and the following show "behind the scenes " errors
in reverse order for today
 EventData

OVRServer_x64.exe
   5b226848
   OVRServer_x64.exe
   5b226848
   c0000005
   0000000000111ad6
   28e0
   01d410e6db9f0418
   E:\Oculus\Support\oculus-runtime\OVRServer_x64.exe
   E:\Oculus\Support\oculus-runtime\OVRServer_x64.exe
   f2e83356-a11e-445c-8003-3be9d4d91607

EventData

[ProcessAsUser] CreateProcessAsUser failed with err=740 attempting to launch process as active user: E:\Oculus\Support\oculus-runtime\OVRRedir.exe 

E:\Oculus\Support\oculus-runtime\OculusAppFramework.dll
   7f975727-cf83-47c7-8bff-e6b95eeae304

No idea what any of this means

The_Stranger474
Honored Guest
I'm having the same issue. Though OVR service is running just fine, i have about 197GB free on the drive. This problems been here for a little bit. I'm debating if I should uninstall it and try again.

Macthstick
Honored Guest
I just started having this issue today any chance the support people read these posts?

LZoltowski
Champion
This is a community run forum, to get Official support's attention, please submit a ticket with your logs

https://tickets.oculusvr.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

On how to collect your logs please check this thread out:
https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/33792/how-to-get-logs-for-bug-reports-for-consumer-...
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

cybereality
Grand Champion
If you need support help, you can submit a ticket here:
https://support.oculus.com/
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

Evoga
Protege
Happening to me too 😞

Sterling77
Rising Star
Make sure you have Rift Core 2.0 checked as I think the roll out for Dash is in effect. All the older Oc Home stuff is causing major issues. I spent 6 hours trying to fix it - and all I should have done was check Rift Core 2.0
https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/52965/sterlings-sketchbook

FJ4X420
Honored Guest

Make sure you have Rift Core 2.0 checked as I think the roll out for Dash is in effect. All the older Oc Home stuff is causing major issues. I spent 6 hours trying to fix it - and all I should have done was check Rift Core 2.0

Where do I look for this check box?

charlesispi
Explorer
Hi, I have a very easy fix for this. I saw it in another forum... I can't find it but I will put it here for anyone needing a fix.

First, open task manager.
Click on "Services" tab.
Find "OVRService"
Right click and click on "Start."
Try to open Oculus again. I hope this helped...