New To The Forum? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. -- Developers Click Here.

Having trouble starting Oculus . Your Oculus software may be updating.

harryinthesoupharryinthesoup Posts: 93
Hiro Protagonist
"We're Having trouble Starting Oculus
 Your Oculus software may be updating. Please wait a minute and try again. If the issue continues, contact Oculus Support"
Got the error, waited a few hours and reported to Support as suggested.
 I have never had this before except when Oculus was indeed updating and over in a few minutes.
Support got back to me and suggested do a REPAIR which I did and all was good again.
 Then is happened again this morning and I repaired again and once again all good.
Then this afternoon it happened again , so I did some digging around and closed off all startup services that could  potentially (Why ?) interfere with Oculus.
 Still no go.
 I then looked at services (though Task Manager) and noticed the OVRService was not running so I started it and Hooray! managed to start Oculus up.
Anyone got any idea what would have stopped this service running ? Could it be anything to do with running a game via Steam ? (which was the last big activity before it happened the last time).
 Anyway as a Tip, if you do get the "trouble starting Oculus" message , might be worth a try checking that the OVRService is running and if not start it before needing to contact support.

Tagged:

Comments

• harryinthesoupharryinthesoup Posts: 93
    Hiro Protagonist
    Just looked at the windows logs and the following show "behind the scenes " errors
    in reverse order for today
     EventData

OVRServer_x64.exe
       5b226848
       OVRServer_x64.exe
       5b226848
       c0000005
       0000000000111ad6
       28e0
       01d410e6db9f0418
       E:\Oculus\Support\oculus-runtime\OVRServer_x64.exe
       E:\Oculus\Support\oculus-runtime\OVRServer_x64.exe
       f2e83356-a11e-445c-8003-3be9d4d91607

EventData

[ProcessAsUser] CreateProcessAsUser failed with err=740 attempting to launch process as active user: E:\Oculus\Support\oculus-runtime\OVRRedir.exe 

E:\Oculus\Support\oculus-runtime\OculusAppFramework.dll
       7f975727-cf83-47c7-8bff-e6b95eeae304

No idea what any of this means

• The_Stranger4740The_Stranger4740 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I'm having the same issue. Though OVR service is running just fine, i have about 197GB free on the drive. This problems been here for a little bit. I'm debating if I should uninstall it and try again.
  • MacthstickMacthstick Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    edited July 12
    I just started having this issue today any chance the support people read these posts?
  • LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 5,192 Volunteer Moderator
    This is a community run forum, to get Official support's attention, please submit a ticket with your logs

https://tickets.oculusvr.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

On how to collect your logs please check this thread out:
    https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/33792/how-to-get-logs-for-bug-reports-for-consumer-rift-1-3/p1
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 25,109 Oculus Staff
    If you need support help, you can submit a ticket here:
    https://support.oculus.com/
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • EvogaEvoga Posts: 18
    NerveGear
    Happening to me too :(
  • Sterling77Sterling77 Posts: 461 Poster of the Week
    Make sure you have Rift Core 2.0 checked as I think the roll out for Dash is in effect. All the older Oc Home stuff is causing major issues. I spent 6 hours trying to fix it - and all I should have done was check Rift Core 2.0