New to the forums? Click here to read the How To guide. -- Developers click here.

What all do I need to play Beat Saber?

1978zephyr1978zephyr Posts: 1
NerveGear
edited July 2 in Games and Apps
hi, as a present for our kids report cards, we want to get them Beat Saber: we have no Oculus gear yet. What all do I need (head sets, computer, software, cables) to get them playing? I hope to get a system without a smartphone (we don't have one).
thanks so much. I can't believe this company is real, this is sooo cool

Answers

• UBSERDUBSERD Posts: 347
    Nexus 6
    edited July 2
    A oculus compatible pc (preferably a GTX 1080 or higher), a rift and touch bundle, and an internet connection, plus the game purchased from oculus/steam store and that’s it :D

Make sure you do your research before purchasing any computer. Make sure that you are either buying directly from Oculus or that the components that you put into your PC will work correctly with the software.
  • UBSERDUBSERD Posts: 347
    Nexus 6
    You may want to also shell out another $60 for the 3rd sensor and also a active usb extender cable to get the most out of your Rift for 360 degrees room scale. Not necessary for Beat Saber, but for a lot of other VR games it’s kind of a must.
  • MAC_MAN86MAC_MAN86 Posts: 1,063
    Neo
    A Xeon Quad Duo 3GHz, 16GB DDR3 RAM, GTX970 upwards works. It needs a hacked Install Runtime 1.3 which updates to latest to avoid SSE4.2 cpu check.
  • BeastyBaiterBeastyBaiter Posts: 758 Poster of the Week
    edited July 2
    Fair warning, this is going to be super expensive if you are buying a PC and the Rift. Most of us had a suitable PC already for other games and/or work. Regardless, the key specs for a VR gaming PC are:

Desktop ONLY, laptops are notorious for not working with VR at all due to the way they are wired internally!
    CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 or Intel i5.
    GPU: RX 580 8GB or GTX 1060 6GB. Do not get duped into the 4GB or 3GB models respectively. Be very, very careful here.
    RAM: no less than 8GB, 16GB is preferable.

Other than the PC itself, you'll need the $400 Oculus Rift package, the game and a TV or monitor. I think all of the below PC's include a keyboard and mouse but if they don't, you'll have to grab those as well. Below are a few examples of reasonable systems at various price points. This is going to be terribly expensive for 1 game though.

Minimum recommended spec:

Mid tier machine:

High end machine:

Top end:

• LuluViBritanniaLuluViBritannia Posts: 368
    Trinity
    edited July 2
    Laptop owner here. Contrarily to what was said earlier, VR can work with a laptop. That said I do recommend a desktop PC over a laptop: you'll be sure to have less problems and at least, Oculus Support will agree to help (not the case when you're a laptop owner...). Laptops are notorious for being problematic, that as much is true.
    Whatever you take, just make sure you get an Oculus-Ready PC. You have the list on their website, here : 
    https://www.oculus.com/rift/oculus-ready-pcs/

Supposedly you won't have much problems installing the Rift with one of those (since it's said to support the Rift...).

Anyway, let's make a recap of what you need for VR : 

- A clean, relatively big space. VR uses motion gaming, you will break stuff if the place is a mess.
    - A powerful PC.
    - An Oculus Rift, which is composed of : a headset, two controllers and two sensors (everything is in the bundle ^^).
    - Install the Oculus Software (available on their website), follow the instructions to set-up the headset and the play area.
    - Then you will get access to Oculus Store. Buy Beat Saber, install it, and you're ready to go!

Oculus also offers the possibility to use a 3rd sensor for better tracking. But don't buy that, it's not necessary.
    1) Beat Saber is played from front only, so you don't need what we call "360 tracking" (the player doesn't turn around). Two sensors in front of the player is all it takes.
    2) IF you want 360 tracking for other games, you can do it with 2 sensors. Just put them in high places and in different corners of the place.

Previous VR face :

My current config : HP Omen laptop, 8 GB RAM, Intel i5-7300HQ @2.5GHz + Nvidia GTX 1050 (2GB VRAM).

Currently plays on :

- Beat Saber.
    - Windlands.
    - Skyrim VR.

I use VR for :
    - Games.
    - Art Software (Tilt Brush, Oculus Medium, Mocu Mocu Dance).
    - Cinema VR (Oculus Desktop or Virtual Desktop).

"You are allowed to kill only if you are prepared to die."
  • xddddddddddxdddddddddd Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    UBSERD said:
    A oculus compatible pc (preferably a GTX 1080 or higher), a rift and touch bundle, and an internet connection, plus the game purchased from oculus/steam store and that’s it :D

Make sure you do your research before purchasing any computer. Make sure that you are either buying directly from Oculus or that the components that you put into your PC will work correctly with the software.
    what about an MSI GL62M 7REX with a 1050? :) possibly? maybe?
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 902
    3Jane
    hi, as a present for our kids report cards, we want to get them Beat Saber: we have no Oculus gear yet. What all do I need (head sets, computer, software, cables) to get them playing? I hope to get a system without a smartphone (we don't have one).
    thanks so much. I can't believe this company is real, this is sooo cool

As you can read, getting to play Beat Saber will require some investing in hardware. Do you have some sort of budget in mind? 
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz boost, 11 Ghz ram); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Oculus Rift CV1 - nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR" ;-)
  • Digikid1Digikid1 Posts: 1,389
    Project 2501
    Old thread @RuneSR2
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 902
    3Jane
    Digikid1 said:
    Old thread @RuneSR2

I realize that .... now :blush: Thanks! :)
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz boost, 11 Ghz ram); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Oculus Rift CV1 - nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR" ;-)