New to the forums? Click here to read the How To guide. -- Developers click here.

FORM: A must-have experience

ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 12,279 Power Poster
edited July 5 in Oculus Rift + Touch

If you haven't tried this yet, FORM is one of the few VR Experiences that gives us a true glimpse of what we can achieve when we go beyond skeuomorphism. Most technological experiences (even outside of VR) try to ease people in to the new tech by making things feel familiar; through real-world-object representation. Such as when home computers launched with a Word Processor, or when Smart Phones first launched as Mobile Phones with Email and a Web Browser. Other examples include the Smart Watch, and of course, just about everything we've been doing in this stage of VR (swinging swords, shooting guns, flying planes, driving vehicles).

FORM does start off very familiar. You're just some bloke in a Lab. But don't let that fool you. Things take quite the turn, and the way the experience forces you to think and interact throughout much of the journey is beyond anything I've done up to this point. If anyone can find another experience - VR or otherwise - then please let me know.

The best way I would describe FORM is this: It's like having your mind sent inside Lemarchand's box (The epic Puzzle Box from the Hellraiser series):

FORM is an experience full of both Sights and Sounds that are quite mesmerizing. It's the type of environment that makes you want to stay in it; to the point that whatever goal you're trying to achieve doesn't matter as much as the fact that everything you do can impact your entire surroundings. The puzzles are challenging, and there is no hand-holding nor standard hint system. The environment drops subtle clues that you must hone in on yourself, which makes solving some of the most difficult puzzles feel like a truly great sense of accomplishment.

Standing in some of those scenes feels rather out-of-this world,

The method for interacting with objects continues to evolve throughout the game. There are games that really make you cherish your Oculus Touch controllers, such as Robo Recall, The Unspoken, and  Lone Echo. There are those games that turn your Touch controllers in to just another gamepad, such as Battle Zone and SkyrimVR. FORM is one of those titles that reminds you what we can accomplish when we take full advantage of the Oculus Touch. It also makes me wonder how much further we'll be able to go with VR Gloves in the future. And normally I don't care much for these physical implementations of VR since I would rather engage in all VR interactions using just my Mind. However, until the tech can read our thoughts, this is definitely showcasing VR's ability to make our hands "majestic." (big word, sorry for the hyperbole)

I bought this for under $10 during the Oculus Summer sale, And even though the experience can be completed in under 2 hours, I would gladly have paid $20 for it.

So what type of game is this really? This is a puzzler that is less "Myst" and more "Esper." If you're a fan of the Esper series, or anything where you're dealing with puzzle blocks as opposed to walking around like some sort of Private Investigator, then you're going to be overjoyed with FORM.

Although, even if you hate puzzlers, this experience will probably give you a new appreciation for the genre.

This is something that all Touch owners should experience at least once. Cheers!

Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
Tagged:

Comments

• NijNij Posts: 275
    Nexus 6
    edited July 5
    Oh think I overlooked this one as I've never been a fan of puzzle games but this looks incredible, think I'll defo get this now, nice one for sharing :)

Oh just got it on sale too!
    I was a believer!! I was a Kickstarter backer!! Now I shall reap the rewards!!! :D :D :D
  • Rob_In_PhoenixRob_In_Phoenix Posts: 290
    Nexus 6
    Wow, this looks intriguing.  I hadn't seen this game before.  I'll put it on my ever growing list (which is taking me an eternity to get through lately).

Thanks for the review of the game, Zen.
  • Digikid1Digikid1 Posts: 1,394
    Project 2501
    Got it for $8.99CDN.  Good deal.

It is quite an amazing game.  I beat it in about 45 minutes but the missus in an hour.  ( not saying anything about that here.....ssshhh!!!! )

Well worth it IMHO. 
  • LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,429 Volunteer Moderator
    edited July 6
    FORM is amazing, it's not challenging but it's a feast for the eyes and ears, you do feel like you are in some sort of twisted parallel dimension. Loved every second of it.
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
  • WildtWildt Posts: 1,489 Poster of the Week
    I couldn't resist buying it during the summer sale, but haven't had a chance to play it yet.
    Asus Z370-A ||  Watercooled 8700K || 16 GB gSkill ram 3200 || Samsung SSD 840PRO 256GB + 850PRO 256GB + 850EVO 500GB || Watercooled FE Geforce 1080ti || Zalman Reserator XT watercooler || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3 || Asus ROG PG279Q  G-sync monitor
    Project 2501
    Wildt said:
    I couldn't resist buying it during the summer sale, but haven't had a chance to play it yet.
    DO IT!!
  • Vic_Vic_ Posts: 34
    Brain Burst
    I've had my rift for a year and I can say this is the BEST experience I've had on it yet. It's absolutely mind blowing, I'm surprised there's nothing else like it yet. It's an experience only suited for VR and really immerses you in the world, a world between reality and other dimensions.
  • LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,429 Volunteer Moderator
    Did anyone else expect Zuul the destroyer from Ghostbusters to appear when you see the giant pyramid for the first time? There is something soooo creepy but awesome about it.

Image result for ghostbusters zuul pyramid
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
    Project 2501
    I just hope that this is really a demo of a larger game.  I would purchase that in a second.....maybe even less than a second.
  • Vic_Vic_ Posts: 34
    Brain Burst
    Form is done, they're making a new game:
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 12,279 Power Poster
    Thanks for sharing that @Vic_ !!

I'm a fan of this studio and will happily purchase their next VR Title. Glad to hear there is a new project coming. But I would also have loved to experience a longer version of FORM.

FORM has 2 paths, Left and Right. Currently the game's entire puzzle adventure is on the Left path. When you unlock the Right path, it simply leads to the ending sequence. I would have much rather experienced a whole new adventure from the Right path.

Project 2501
    For those that have NOT experienced this masterpiece, it is todays deal on the Oculus store.  How much?  No idea since I already purchased it and it will not show you a price if you already bought it.  :/
  • KlodsBrikKlodsBrik Posts: 784
    3Jane
    Catch of the day .... Mine now :TryHard:
    Be good, die great !
    Project 2501
    Feel free to tell others what you think of it.  If there is enough interest in it perhaps they will make a real game out of it.
  • SkScotcheggSkScotchegg Posts: 665
    Neo
    It's 60% off, only 5.99€ for me, and thanks to you and Zenbane I bought it a few hours ago. Thanks guys ! ;)

It's still showing as £10.99 for me mate.

Regardless, it's a good price and sounds good, I'm going to buy it tonight thanks.
    3Jane
    edited July 19
    It's still showing as £10.99 for me mate.

Regardless, it's a good price and sounds good, I'm going to buy it tonight thanks.
    Yeah, it was a daily deal, the sale is over :)

Just played through the first chapters ... Love it so far. Great puzzle game with nice visuals so far. Very relaxing.

Be good, die great !
  • pjennesspjenness Posts: 665
    Neo
    Found this thread in time for my VR sunday funday. 

Trusting Zenbane's adivce (I mean come on...who wouldnt?) I didnt wait for a sale, just buy now!.

And.....

Very cool!  Definitely worth adding to your VR experiences.  I must be a slower player, as I think Ive been over an hour, and still not finished. (at least it felt quite a long time)

Reminds me a lot of "The Room" on iphone . If people like this type of puzzle game I think prob like the Room series for mobile.

Drift VFX Visual, Virtual , Vertical

Want 970GTX on Macbook for good FPS?
    https://forums.oculus.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=17349
    edited July 22
    Just started playing it, and I like it a lot. But how were the black levels for you guys? I'm getting a lot of nasty banding in the darkest colors, and the blacks are dark grey. Could just be by design to avoid black smear, but it's quite distracting.
    Asus Z370-A ||  Watercooled 8700K || 16 GB gSkill ram 3200 || Samsung SSD 840PRO 256GB + 850PRO 256GB + 850EVO 500GB || Watercooled FE Geforce 1080ti || Zalman Reserator XT watercooler || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3 || Asus ROG PG279Q  G-sync monitor
    I don't recall any issues with the black levels, Wildt.

Sorry to hear though; that can be a real buzz kill.
    Project 2501
    Wildt said:
    Just started playing it, and I like it a lot. But how were the black levels for you guys? I'm getting a lot of nasty banding in the darkest colors, and the blacks are dark grey. Could just be by design to avoid black smear, but it's quite distracting.
    Now that you mentioned that my hands did have a greyish halo around them....thought that was part of the design of the game. 
    3Jane

@Wildt , I do have some contrast issues as well, but it´s really not that much. It´s not breaking the immersion for me.

Ive seen worse in a lot of other titles.

I feel that its a design choice from the devs, made to eliminate as many godray issues as possible.

Be good, die great !
    edited July 23
    KlodsBrik said:

@Wildt , I do have some contrast issues as well, but it´s really not that much. It´s not breaking the immersion for me.

Ive seen worse in a lot of other titles.

I feel that its a design choice from the devs, made to eliminate as many godray issues as possible.

You're probably right.. it's just an otherwise really pleasing visual experience, that it feels like such a shame. Hope next gen panels will have eliminated this issue.
  • LitespeedLitespeed Posts: 300
    Trinity
    edited July 26
    Wildt said:

I'm having that, too. Like if someone had turned the contrast settings all the way down. More than in other games - or at least it didn't bother me as much in other games. 
  • nemiroffnemiroff Posts: 10
    NerveGear
    Wildt said:
    The color banding is awful in my Rift as well. The most disappointing thing about it is that Oculus seems to refuse to talk about it. And I'd also like to know if this is an issue with all Rifts out there, or only a few.
  • I_CANT_HEAR_YOUI_CANT_HEAR_YOU Posts: 31
    Brain Burst
    Form is awesome.  Have had it for quite some time and it still makes me feel immersed in a fantastic alternate reality.
  • pyroth309pyroth309 Posts: 442
    Trinity
    I finally got around to playing this last night. Form was a phenomenal experience that I wish was about 3 times longer. Really enjoyed the puzzles even though they were on the easy side. Lot of mechanical movements which was cool and they had an alien like vibe that I enjoyed. All in all great game.
  • KNP54KNP54 Posts: 228
    Nexus 6
    Sounds like a good game! Right now it's 47% discount. So I went ahead and clicked buy, but it's telling me that I need a 7' x 5' play space.... So before I really buy it, does the game support sitting mode? Because I really don't have a lot of room here!! For example, Lone Echo I was able to complete the whole game while sitting although it supports room scale.
    Form is much less demanding than Lone Echo in terms of room space. I think I played the entire game standing in one spot.
  • pyroth309pyroth309 Posts: 442
    Trinity
    Zenbane said:
    Form is much less demanding than Lone Echo in terms of room space. I think I played the entire game standing in one spot.
    Yea, this. There's not much movement required.