New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

[SOLVED] First Time Setup Problems

Mideval135Mideval135 Posts: 5
NerveGear
edited July 2018 in Oculus Rift S and Rift
First off I'm very new at the VR community. I built my computer about a year ago and have been gaming on it just fine being able to run most first person shooters at high frames, low latency, and medium - high setting (medium and high are relative to the game, as some use ultra as high as the "highest" quality). My PC build is as follows so you can know that my PC is capable of playing VR games. 

ASUS Z270-A Prime Motherboard
ASUS GTX 1060 6GB OC "VR Ready" (quotes, because I'm not sure at this point)
Intel i7-7700K 
Corsair Vengeance 16GB RAM (2x8)
Samsung EVO 850 250GB SSD
Two 1TB Western Digital HDDs
EVGA 500B PSU
HP 22cwa monitor
Logitech Keyboard & Mouse(G710+, G502)

Alright, so I've been back and forth with support for a few days now and I have not gotten anywhere. To start, I bought a new Oculus Rift from Best Buy this past Saturday. The first step to setting up was to download the setup software. So I downloaded and began the process. I made it through the beginning stages where you plug in all the sensor USB cables and the headset USB and HDMI. I plugged them in in that order as well. The setup software recognized the sensors but seemed to struggle with recognizing the headset cables. After a little bit they recognized them and I was onto setting up the touch controllers. Before I could even connect one, the system freezes up and nothing happens. After about 10 minutes, I had to restart my PC. I log back into my PC and luckily since I already made an account, the setup software automatically jumps to plugging in all the cables again. This time I first plugged in the headset HDMI (nothing else) and instantly, my PC reboots. I really have no idea why it would do that. After the Boot menu goes away, I notice that the loading Windows logo is monochrome (black and white) and it proceeds to the login screen. And it's the same thing! Black and white very large as the resolution was lowered from 1920x1080 (my monitor's main resolution) to something like 640x480 and still monochrome. At this point I am panicking if I fried my graphics card and I immediately pull out the headset HDMI (nothing else was plugged in at this point besides the HDMI cord). I try going into my display settings and see if I can fix anything, but the display resolution is locked at 640x480 and black and white. Now I'm really panicking. So I restart the computer. I get to the boot menu again an there are scattered green and red dots at the top of the screen, and it's not proceeding to load up Windows. I restart again and everything is back to normal. I opened up the Oculus setup software and plug in the two sensor USBs and headset USB only. They register just fine it seems, then I plug in the headset HDMI, at this point my main monitor display freezes (and just the display). I don't think the PC freezes since I was able to play my Spotify music through the headset headphones (play/pause, skip forward and jump back). I just couldn't see my mouse move, or anything else move for that matter. There was nothing displaying in the headset either, but there was a little orange light near this sensor at the top of the headset. After this whole fiasco I wasn't sure what had happened to make all this happen the way it did, so until last night I tried setting up all over again. The setup software jumped me to plugging in all the cables just as before, and so I plugged in the headset USB into a different port and then the headset HDMI (not even trying the sensor USBs since they worked just fine before). The main display freezes just as before and I have to restart my PC all over again. I know I don't have a bad graphics card port as just over a month ago I had a second monitor plugged into it and it worked just fine (I was able to move windows from one monitor to another just fine). Support told me to update my drivers and make sure that any USB port's I have, they need to be adjusted to not let the PC turn off the power going to them. I did all that. I'm running the latest version of Nvidia Geforce Experience, latest drivers for my graphics card and power going to the USB ports are not being turned off. I tried again after making sure everything was updated and turned off, and the same thing happens! Freezes and I have to restart. I'm at loss at what to do. The more I try the more I'm convinced that I just got unlucky and got a faulty Rift. 

Since all of this, it has not hindered my gaming. I'm still able to play games and do everything else I have done before I got this Rift and tried setting it up. 

I appreciate anything you guys would have to say or any advice you can give at this point. 

Thank you,
Andrew
Tagged:

Comments

• Mideval135Mideval135 Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    @cybereality I know I just posted this thread and I know there is a lot of stuff going on at Oculus right now. I have been reading many other forums at this point and most of what I read is a month or more old at this point, but most of them say that I should try using an old Nvidia driver and turn off fast start up. Is this a good idea? And I apologize if I seem impatient by posting this so quickly. Thank you
  • LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,774 Volunteer Moderator
    edited July 2018
    Heya, could you attach your logs?

That PSU is a bit low wattage, how old is it? When a system resets like that there could be a number of things including:
    • Not enough power from the PSU / Not enough clean power / PSU not dealing with spikes very easily due to age
    • USB overloaded on Motherboard
    • GPU driver fault 
    • GPU hardware fault

Run "OculusLogGatherer.exe" by double-clicking the icon after navigating to this folder:
    C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-diagnostics
    and upload the zip file to your post.

Also to try is to use DDU https://www.wagnardsoft.com/

Completely remove your GPU drivers, using DDU, install a fresh copy of the latest ones (the issue was fixed with the newer release)

Also make sure your windows is updated to the latest version with all the updates
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    The latest Nvidia driver should be working. It sounds like something happened to your video card, or the connection is loose. Can you try removing the GPU from the system, blowing on the contacts and/or cleaning them, and then reseating into the system? It could also be a driver corruption. Try using DDU safe mode uninstall and then load up the latest Nvidia driver. If that doesn't work, you may want to consider a fresh Windows 10 reinstall.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
    NerveGear
    Thank you for the quick reply. I apologize for the mix-up, my PSU is actually EVGA 600B not 500B. I ran a Cooler Master wattage calculator and it said my PSU would be enough, or should be at least. I did use DDU and I did install the newest version of the Nvidia Drivers. Here is the Oculus Log I ran before resetting the drivers. 
    edited July 2018
    I'm not seeing any major issues software wise, not even system error logs, meaning there is no trace of a catastrophic software event, this is DEFINITELY a hardware issue.

What have you got plugged into your PC? could you plug in only the absolute minimum? Rift + Sensors + Mouse + Keyboard?.... How about running the rift with just 1 sensor?

How is your monitor plugged into the GPU? Via what port?
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Did you try to remove, clean, and reinsert your GPU card? This can help in these cases.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
    And yes definitely give what @cybereality has suggested a go.

NerveGear
    Okay, I apologize for the delay, after reinstalling the drivers, I was able to finish the setup and start playing. I really don't know what the issue was. But I'm in and downloading apps like I should have from the beginning. I really appreciate the assistance. I was about to replace it. I still don't know why it rebooted itself. That may still be a hardware issue with the graphics card, but other than that I am able to play any game as usual. Thank you for all the help. 
    Okay, I apologize for the delay, after reinstalling the drivers, I was able to finish the setup and start playing. I really don't know what the issue was. But I'm in and downloading apps like I should have from the beginning. I really appreciate the assistance. I was about to replace it. I still don't know why it rebooted itself. That may still be a hardware issue with the graphics card, but other than that I am able to play any game as usual. Thank you for all the help. 
    Fantastic news, a rouge driver or some sort of corruption could have exposed the GPU and cause fatal exceptions that caused the system to shut down. I would keep an eye on your hardware and how it behaves. Thanks for posting the followup.

Great news!
    NerveGear
    Can do. Thanks again. Have fun playing!!