New To The Forum? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. -- Developers Click Here.

With a DVI-D monitor connected to my graphics card my Oculus Rift will not connect

nicknikenicknike Posts: 2
NerveGear
Hi, I have two monitors connected via HDMI and DVI-D to a AORUS GeForce® GTX 1080 8G 11Gbps. The DVI-D is an older monitor and only has DVI-D and D-sub. The HDMI monitor is connected to the rear panel of the graphics card. I connected an Oculus Rift VR unit. The headset has an HDMI and USB connector. The Oculus Rift is connected to one of the internal HDMI sockets on the graphics card. I restarted the computer as I read in the manual that the graphics card will automatically detect the VR unit. The VR USB connects fine, but the VR HDMI will not connect.
I noticed on the specification info on the graphics card web page this:
I/O       Standard mode (Dual-link DVI-D*1, DP1.4*3, HDMI 2.0b*1) 
          VR mode (DP*3, HDMI*3)
This suggested to me that in VR mode, the DVI-D socket is unsupported. I unplugged the DVI-D so I am now just running one monitor that is connected via HDMI on the rear panel and the VR HDMI that is connected to an internal HDMI on the graphics card. The VR headset now works fine.
QUESTION. How can I reconnect my second monitor with the DVI-D socket, so that I have both monitors and the VR headset all working? Why did the VR headset not work with the DVI-D monitor connected?
Many thanks.

Best Answer

Answers

• XsjadiaXsjadia Posts: 350
    Nexus 6
    Do you require your monitor to run DVI-D, or can you live with just a single link DVI? If you can, you can get a simple DVI to DisplayPort adapter. Some adapters also have the DVI-D female connector, but only run it as a single-link DVI. This of course will lower the quality of your connection, but at least you would still get output on the screen. All of this assuming your monitor can do DVI and not have to be DVI-D. 

Though, do you have an available DVI-D out on your motherboard? You could always use your CPU internal graphics to render the output to the monitor.

It is my understanding (from using a DVI-D monitor) that DVI-D in its dual-link state just takes up a lot of power and resources (and perhaps bandwidth necessary to run the HDMI connection @ 90 fps in your case). I would guess that the resources needed to hold a steady DVI-D connection is why Displayport is the preferred connection nowadays. 
    PC Specs:
    Intel i7-6700k @ 4.5 Ghz
    Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 3 Motherboard
    GTX 1080
    16 GB RAM @ 3200 Mhz
    Startech 4-port/4-USB controller add-on card
    4-Sensor, Roomscale Setup
  • nicknikenicknike Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Hi, I tried a DVI-D to DP cable and that didn't work. How do I my monitor as a single-link DVI?