New To The Forum? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. -- Developers Click Here.

Rift SI 1.28 Starting to Roll Out

cyberealitycybereality Posts: 25,667 Oculus Staff
Over the last few weeks we've been testing some big things, including the first of our social features, improved locomotion options and more expressive Avatars. Today we're starting to roll out Rift SI 1.28, bringing these new features to everyone over the coming days. For more info, be sure to check out the Rift Core 2.0 beta user guide and let us know your thoughts through UserVoice.
  • Rift Core 2.0 Beta
    • We're starting to roll out social features for Home. You can now invite people to your Home. Up to eight people can hang out in the same Home at a given time, and if you set your Home privacy to friends-only, your friends will be able to come over to your home whenever they'd like. For the initial release, your Home will be locked while you have guests. That means activities like editing your Home or playing with interactive objects are not supported in the current release. That said, we'll add more functionality to multiplayer over the coming months!
    • We’ve upgraded the Oculus Avatars with new custom hair, skin shading, clothing, and eyewear designs. You can customize your avatar from within Home: select the “Avatar Editor” mirror from the “Special Items” category and place anywhere in your Home.
    • Developers who upgrade to the latest Avatar SDK will be able to utilize these new avatars in their apps.
    • We've added experimental support for broadcasting your Oculus Desktop in multiplayer using the new Dash panel embedding feature. There are some technical limitations, which you can read about in the Rift Core 2.0 beta user guide.
    • New movement options are now available in Home. Check out your settings menu for a new “Movement” section where you can set up various options for moving around, including Walk Mode, Smooth Turning, and Snap Turning. While some of the new movement options like Walk Mode and Smooth Turning allow for direct control, they may not be comfortable for everyone.
  • New language support
    • We’ve added support across core software, including Dash, Oculus desktop app and Oculus Home, for the following languages: Danish, Finnish, Dutch, Swedish, Spanish (Spain), Spanish (Latin American), Italian, Norwegian, and Polish.
    • You can change your language in the Oculus desktop app with the “Language Preference” option in the “General” tab on the “Settings” page.
  • Oculus desktop app
    • We’re starting to test personalized app recommendations on your Home Page.
    • We’ve added per-application language pack support for developers. As developers start to use this feature, you’ll see what languages are available for each application and set your specific language pack via the app’s Library detail panel.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

Comments

• Digikid1Digikid1 Posts: 1,106
    Wintermute
    Did you fix the stuttering issue??????????????????
  • NetheriNetheri Posts: 81
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited July 11
    Do we get the "admin trick" possibility back? If not, will there be native option to not launch Home(2) on 1.29 or 1.30?
  • LuluViBritanniaLuluViBritannia Posts: 166
    Art3mis
    Did you keep the previous avatar elements (the hats, the unrealistic textures, ...)?
    And I second the previous questions.

(I know, we're never happy, sorry xD).

That said, I can't wait to try out the social features. I'd love to see other people's custom Homes!
    RIP My previous VR face :

My current config : HP Omen laptop, 8 GB RAM, Intel i5-7300 HD @2.5GHz + Nvidia GTX 1050 (2GB VRAM).
    Owner of an Oculus DK2 and an Oculus CV1.
    Currently plays on :

- Beat Saber.
    - Windlands.
    - Skyrim VR.

I use VR for :
    - Games.
    - Art Software (Tilt Brush, Oculus Medium, Mocu Mocu Dance).
    - Cinema VR (Oculus Desktop in Google Earth or Skyrim, or Virtual Desktop).
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 25,667 Oculus Staff
    If you want to request new features, please use the User Voice link in the OP. Thanks.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
    Wintermute
    If you want to request new features, please use the User Voice link in the OP. Thanks.
    OR.....here’s a thought...the devs should stop taking away features that were never complained about.  Not to be rude but it seems like they need to reconsider a few things. I appreciate all they’ve done but they never bother to actually listen to the community.  Sure they added a few gimmicks but then they take away things that never needed to be taken away. All they are doing is pissing customers off. 
  • kzintzikzintzi Posts: 959 Poster of the Week
    edited July 11
    There's listening to the community, and then there's finishing the development roadmap.. there have been additions to the software that have come from the community, but the community also has opinions on not having Dash at all (which I love), changing the guardian into some sort of permanent thing (which I'd hate), and dropping the Rift in favour of a Vive (hahahahahahha)..

I like to see the end result of an idea, even if it doesn't have the custom thing I want.
    Though you are more than slightly incoherent, I agree with you Madam,
    a plum is a terrible thing to do to a nostril.
    Hiro Protagonist
    "UserVoice may use services that collect data remotely by using “pixel tags,” “web beacons,” “clear GIFs,” or similar technologies. Such technologies can recognize certain types of information on your web browser, check whether you have viewed a particular web page or email message, and determine, among other things, the time and date on which you viewed them and the IP address of the computer from which you viewed them.

UserVoice Services may be linked to or provided through third party websites. UserVoice is not responsible for the privacy policies and/or practices on such third party websites. When linking or accessing such websites, you should carefully review the privacy policy of such third party to determine how it handles information it separately collects from you."

Umm, no thanks.  :D

Why is there a public forum for Oculus customers, if the developing company doesn't take anything from them? There's even section "Support"? Does that mean it's just customer to customer support? I'm starting to feel that Oculus's (or wassisname these days) treshold to manage criticism and converse with the actual customers who use their (flagship) VR product is too much for the company and/or it's developers. For my eye it looks like that any "bad" feedback is needed to be hushed so that there would be as little public criticism on forum as possible forcing us customers to use i.e. uservoice system which sends users data to there and here and etc. so it would be noted? 

And i'm quite sure that MANY "admin trick" wanters and/or native option to not launch Home(2) but still giving hmd's to work with SteamVR apps has left the direct fedback to Oculus devs, so where are those wanted features? Are they even in dev discussion.

Don't get me wrong, i like Rift over Vive, but these days i'm feeling that the use is endless beta testing without a) real customer support b) deafness and blindness to react for our squeaks to give us what we want _really_. 

• cyberealitycybereality Posts: 25,667 Oculus Staff
    The forum is mainly there for the community itself to discuss Oculus related topics. If you want official customer support, submitting a ticket would be best. If you want to provide feedback or feature requests, then the UserVoice page is best. This makes sure the message makes it to the right team. Thanks.
  • kzintzikzintzi Posts: 959 Poster of the Week
    Netheri said:

Well, i guess my only option is to whine in the forums without any effect to anything then. :D

Apparently :tongue:

Though you are more than slightly incoherent, I agree with you Madam,
    a plum is a terrible thing to do to a nostril.
  • DTHDTH Posts: 173
    Art3mis
    What does the SI mean?
    Wintermute
    DTH said:
    What does the SI mean?
    Something Interesting 

• RichooalRichooal Posts: 610
    Neo
    DTH said:
    What does the SI mean?
    "System Integration"
    i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - 0 PROBLEMS
  • kojackkojack Posts: 4,444 Volunteer Moderator
    edited July 13
    Netheri said:
    The forum is mainly there for the community itself to discuss Oculus related topics. If you want official customer support, submitting a ticket would be best. If you want to provide feedback or feature requests, then the UserVoice page is best. This makes sure the message makes it to the right team. Thanks.
    Ok, so if i contact support that the "admin trick" isn't working they say that "it shouldn't" and if i request it as feature on UserVoice, "UserVoice may use services that collect data remotely by using “pixel tags,” “web beacons,” “clear GIFs,” or similar technologies. Such technologies can recognize certain types of information on your web browser, check whether you have viewed a particular web page or email message, and determine, among other things, the time and date on which you viewed them and the IP address of the computer from which you viewed them.

UserVoice Services may be linked to or provided through third party websites. UserVoice is not responsible for the privacy policies and/or practices on such third party websites. When linking or accessing such websites, you should carefully review the privacy policy of such third party to determine how it handles information it separately collects from you."? 

Well, i guess my only option is to whine in the forums without any effect to anything then. :D

If you click the privacy policy link on this forum, it covers the same pixel tags and stuff that you are complaining about uservoice having.
    Hiro Protagonist
    kojack said:
    Netheri said:
    Ok, so if i contact support that the "admin trick" isn't working they say that "it shouldn't" and if i request it as feature on UserVoice, "UserVoice may use services that collect data remotely by using “pixel tags,” “web beacons,” “clear GIFs,” or similar technologies. Such technologies can recognize certain types of information on your web browser, check whether you have viewed a particular web page or email message, and determine, among other things, the time and date on which you viewed them and the IP address of the computer from which you viewed them.

UserVoice Services may be linked to or provided through third party websites. UserVoice is not responsible for the privacy policies and/or practices on such third party websites. When linking or accessing such websites, you should carefully review the privacy policy of such third party to determine how it handles information it separately collects from you."? 

If you click the privacy policy link on this forum, it covers the same pixel tags and stuff that you are complaining about uservoice having.
    So you're saying that when made one mistake, one should made another? Might be your way of doing things but mine. :D And if you are not complaining for a fact that you are being spied on your own computer just for using forums which are just for user conversation, i'm quite surprised. In fact, i think gdpr might not be in place on that part of the forums and UserVoice user terms.. And btw i wasn't complaining per ce, just brought up why i'm not joining another user spy program. I'm not that big of a fanboy. ;)
    Art3mis
    @Netheri : No, they're saying this is hypocrite. You say "I won't use Uservoice because it spies on me", but you use this forum where they do the exact same thing. This doesn't add up. Keep a consistent reasoning: if you care about "being spyed", don't use any tool that may spy on you, this is common sense. If you don't care about being spyed on this forum, why would you care about Uservoice?

My current config : HP Omen laptop, 8 GB RAM, Intel i5-7300 HD @2.5GHz + Nvidia GTX 1050 (2GB VRAM).
    Currently plays on :

- Beat Saber.
    - Windlands.
    - Skyrim VR.

I use VR for :
    - Games.
    Hiro Protagonist
    @LuluViBritannia, if you _read_ what i wrote intead of being a knight, you would see that i do care, that's why i'm not joining another spyforum. As i said if i made one mistake i don't have make another. Have YOU  used used the gprd cookie tool offered by Oculus through link or is it just ok for you to use your information without your consent? If it is not, should you just take care of your own privacy in internet 1st?But you are right; i could and i probably will delete my account just fine from this forum as it's just as it is, forum for unsatisfied customers to chat and gossip and whine and fanboy knights to defend the  developers who are not interested to participate in any way. 
  • LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 5,853 Volunteer Moderator
    Keep on topic please folks. Thanks.
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
  • cheech3323cheech3323 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I got a question Samsung note 8 got wet when in my pocket when I got caught in the rain a warning popped up saying water was detected in the USB port left it dry now has trouble charging and won't connect to my vr gear idk what to do?  Any suggestions would be helpful thank you in advance
  • ElusiveMarlinElusiveMarlin Posts: 172
    Art3mis
    edited July 16
    Any ideas how to remove "Invalid" object imports in Home?

I've been playing with building my own objects in home, and have had some success, but some of the "larger" objects just show up as a red i in a circle.

My guess is there is some conflict in the validity of the .GLB file. or it is too complex to build in home.

either way, once I see the error, I remove the .glb file from my _imports folder, and restart home, but the "Invalid" object is still listed, and I am just concerned I am going to have a huge list of "broken" objects to scroll through after a few weeks!

If I delete a working object file from the _import folder it is removed from the list in Home, so it just affects the "broken/invalid" _import objects.
    Intel Core i7 8700K 3.7GHz | RAM 32GB DDR4 2666MHz | GeForce GTX 1080 8GB |
    240GB SATA III SSD | 3TB HDD | 867Mbps Built-in Wi-Fi

"Behind every mask there is a face, and behind that a story...."
    Art3mis
    @Netheri I did read what you said and I do stand on my position : keep a consistent reasoning. Also, aren't you the one trying to be a knight, being all "our privacy is threatened folks, follow me and together we will beat the evil developers who want to spy on us!!!". Actually don't answer, there is no point in debating here and we would just get scolded for going off topic xD!

Okay, I got update 1.28 today, and I have to say... performance has been pretty good. Now SteamVR games have become playable again, without downscaling the resolution. Thanks a lot, Oculus devs! It's not as good as update 1.26, but at least it's better than 1.27 (at least in my case).
    That said... WHERE ARE MY SUNGLASSES?!!! My hat! My night shade! It's all gone!!!
    Also, thank you for implementing natural motion. But... why the hell didn't you make it like in every other software? Current controls have symmetric sticks, but this is not how it works! What's wrong with the usual way (left stick for translation, right stick for rotation)? You do realize that most VR owners are gamers, right? We're all used to the normal method!

Currently plays on :

- Beat Saber.
    - Windlands.
    - Skyrim VR.

I use VR for :
    - Games.
    Hiro Protagonist
    @LuluViBritannia nice try to get the last word but you just didn't still get it. And for me it's all the same if i'm banned from this forum.
  • LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 5,853 Volunteer Moderator
    edited July 17
    Fellas, if you wish to discuss issues outside of this topic's main purpose, please do so in Private Messages, keep this thread on topic, please. This is a first courtesy warning.
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
    Neo
    edited July 17

Also, thank you for implementing natural motion. But... why the hell didn't you make it like in every other software? Current controls have symmetric sticks, but this is not how it works! What's wrong with the usual way (left stick for translation, right stick for rotation)? You do realize that most VR owners are gamers, right? We're all used to the normal method!

Oculus developed the Rift for the PC. There is no "normal method" that we're all used to.

I have always gamed on a PC and used mouse & keyboard. I don't like game pads or controllers, they're just too limiting.
    Having said that, I'm happy with Oculus deciding to support both left and right handed users in the Rift. The current movement set up in Home seems to work fine, it's not like you need to jump, crouch, go prone or dolphin dive.

For my 2 cents worth, at this early stage, controls need to be usable by a majority of people until the day that we're able to map buttons and sticks to what we want.

Art3mis
    edited July 18
    @Richooal : So you're saying you don't use left hand for translations, and right hand for rotations? Right... It's not like every game would use WASD for translation (hence the LEFT hand) and mouse for rotation (hence the RIGHT hand).

I'm happy with Oculus deciding to support both left and right handed users in the Rift.

- Nothing prevents them from allowing to switch left and right controls. They did it in Oculus Medium.

- Are you serously suggesting left-handed (or right-handed, either way) people have trouble using a gamepad? Come on... We're not talking about hand writing. Game motion control is not such a hurdle, and it's all about habit. Everyone is used to control translations with left hand, and rotation with right hand. Even when using keyboard&mouse.

Currently plays on :

- Beat Saber.
    - Windlands.
    - Skyrim VR.

I use VR for :
    - Games.
    Neo
    @Richooal : So you're saying you don't use left hand for translations, and right hand for rotations? Right... It's not like every game would use WASD for translation (hence the LEFT hand) and mouse for rotation (hence the RIGHT hand).

I'm saying that I'm not used to using sticks for anything (hence there is no "normal" method that "we're all used to".

I'm also saying that I am left handed, and use my left for "rotation" and my right for "translation".

I'm not saying anything about WASD. I've never used it either.

I will say, though, that Oculus seem to be taking a very considered and deliberate approach to controls with no alienation of either left or right handed people, and respect for people who suffer from VR sickness.
    If both Touch Controllers have the same controls, then the individual user should have the decision as to which hand does what.

- Are you serously suggesting left-handed (or right-handed, either way) people have trouble using a gamepad?

I don't remember saying anything about other people having trouble with gamepads. I said I don't like them. Touch Controllers, however, are awesome. I can move around Home with one thumb, and give a "thumbs up" to anyone watching with the other.
    Wintermute
    edited July 18
    Fellas, if you wish to discuss issues outside of this topic's main purpose, please do so in Private Messages, keep this thread on topic, please. This is a first courtesy warning.
    Not trying to mod here or anything but....read and obey.....or suffer the wrath of @LZoltowski >:)
    Neo
    Digikid1 said:
    Not trying to mod here or anything but....read and obey.....or suffer the wrath of @LZoltowski >:)

My comments were about the motion options released with SI 1.28 and correcting some bad translation of what I said. Motion controls are "on topic".
  • MagzireMagzire Posts: 13
    NerveGear
    edited July 18
    Since 1.27 was installed, everytime i rebooted my PC it would always redownload 1.27 and try install. Now 1.28 is out and still trying to downloaded 1.27. I did try running the repair, that didnt work. 

Okay its working now, jumped the gun there. 
  • DTHDTH Posts: 173
    Art3mis
    how do you remove the avatar editor from your home?