New To The Forum? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. -- Developers Click Here.

The Forest VR

JeremyC85JeremyC85 Posts: 138
Art3mis
Has anyone played The Forest VR yet? I believe its only on Steam but looks pretty cool. Any thoughts??

Comments

• RattyUKRattyUK Posts: 292
    Nexus 6
    I've played an hour or so - it was in my flat collection so the VR update was a pleasant surprise!

Lots of updates from the original VR release appear to be ironing out issues that were found.  It looks quite good and plays smoothly.  It's likely I'll have a 'proper' play of it in the near future.  There was a thread discussing the game recently that you should be able to search for, reactions were mixed.
    PC info: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, Asus ROG Crosshair VII Hero, 16GB Tforce Pro Dark DDR4 3200, Gigabyte GTX 1080, Samsung 850 Pro M.2, 2x 240GB SSD, 3TB WD Green HDD & 4 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, Corsair Modular 750w PSU, custom watercooling loop. (Win 10 Pro & Opensuse Leap 15 Linux) 32" AOC 4K Monitor.

Laptop: Aorus X5 V6-CF1 (I7-6820HK, GTX 1070, 2* 256GB M.2 NVME, 1TB 7200 HDD 3K screen)
  • nroskonrosko Posts: 769
    Trinity
    There is a big thread about it someplace on here. I haven't been in it for a while but implementation of VR seemed to be going well, caves are scary as f&*k. Game is still in beta though so not perfect.  It is a survival/sandbox game so if you like that sort of thing then definitely worth a look.  Remember on steam you get the 2 hour returns. 
  • Comic_Book_GuyComic_Book_Guy Posts: 1,077 Poster of the Week
    It's terrible. Hasnt had any updates too since launch. BEYOND terrible controls, really bad graphics. meh!
  • JeremyC85JeremyC85 Posts: 138
    Art3mis
    It's terrible. Hasnt had any updates too since launch. BEYOND terrible controls, really bad graphics. meh!
    this is what I'm afraid of! what GPU/CPU are you using?
  • BrixmisBrixmis Posts: 1,729
    Project 2501
    Yeah, although I was looking forward to it, I confess I haven't even thought of playing it since my first test session in VR.
    Got stuck (literally) after a few minutes and left it.

• RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 442
    Trinity
    edited July 31
    nrosko said:
    There is a big thread about it someplace on here. I haven't been in it for a while but implementation of VR seemed to be going well, caves are scary as f&*k. Game is still in beta though so not perfect.  It is a survival/sandbox game so if you like that sort of thing then definitely worth a look.  Remember on steam you get the 2 hour returns. 

Much the same here - tried it two days ago. Graphics aren't that bad, I jumped in using super-sampling 2.0, frame-rate about 45, sometimes lower. But that wasn't really a problem, the game feels like early access (and yes, it is), the game's simply too raw and unpolished for me to spend my precious sparetime playing that game. You're also floating several inches above ground - feels like an early alpha version. Also too much brightness on the Rift. 

The game was also too stressful - a few minutes after starting the game I got attacked, I didn't even get time to figure out the controls and the crafting. So I just got reminded of how much I dislike VR horror games, such games make me far too nervous ;-)

I just received a refund. I'd rate that VR experience 5/10. 
    Intel i7 7700K (4.2-4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz boost, 11 Ghz ram); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS (Home/OEM); Oculus Rift CV1 - nearly always using super sampling at 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR" ;-)
  • BrixmisBrixmis Posts: 1,729
    Project 2501
    I'm really hoping that The Fun Pimps will follow up on their promises to make 7 Days To Die VR compatible on release. It's unity, so should be doable, and the last time I mentioned it (admittedly about a year ago) they were still resolute (the main man had played Minecraft in VR and had been blown away, so the odds are good).

That would be in around a ayear or so, if their latest rough timetable is anything to go by. Then you will have another VR horror game to test - and this one holds your hand for the first few hours and shows you how to do things. And it has been very popular in 2D, plus those who have given it a go with VorpX (like myself) know that it will be awesome in VR.